Found Deceased CA - Alex Holden, 25, Sacramento, 31 Dec 2019

I am with you here-she is withholding that they argued, in my opinion...because it would make her look bad (and a lot of people do that; it’s natural, but not at all helpful). I’m not judging his girlfriend because I know she’s really worried about him. I wish he hadn’t gone out in the middle of the night to take a 2 hour long trek. He didn’t have any other place to crash that was closer?

< modsnip>

Not implying whatsoever that GF involved, only that the conversation was probably an argument and he planned on sleeping elsewhere. Based on the hour, maybe he was asked to leave.

Any reports AH was drinking or intoxicated when he left the apartment. Intoxication and water sources are so often accidental and deadly.

MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip>

Not implying whatsoever that GF involved, only that the conversation was probably an argument and he planned on sleeping elsewhere. Based on the hour, maybe he was asked to leave.

Any reports AH was drinking or intoxicated when he left the apartment. Intoxication and water sources are so often accidental and deadly.

MOO
I don't think we have anything that specifically says he was drinking or intoxicated but his girlfriend did say that when he arrived home and woke her up, he had gone out with friends and just gotten back from the bar. MOO

Last edited by a moderator:
Intoxication and water sources are so often accidental and deadly.

MOO

There are a few things that could have reasonably happened - the one that bugs me the most is the area surrounding the entrance to the JSM trail as it appears the most desolate/unlit/wooded/water - that is putting less confidence in him jumping off the bridge into the river intentionally.

Does anyone know how lit this area is?
upload_2020-1-4_11-53-49.png

and this marsh?
upload_2020-1-4_11-59-27.png

ETA: he has a car, so it is extra weird he chose to walk this.

Last edited:
Following. I work with both of his parents, and I cannot imagine what they are going through. Very little information/coverage in our area (MO). I am only seeing updates on Reddit, most recently that they have changed their minds about where he may have gone when he left the apt., after reviewing surveillance cameras in the area of the bike trail without a trace of Alex. I would think that cameras would have captured at a minimum what direction headed as he left their apartment. What is the likelihood of nobody in the area having a Ring or Nest doorbell camera??

I aw that update this morning and am glad they were able to check the footage so quickly. If they are certain he did not cross the river, I am actually more worried about self harm. If they aren't sure, I hope they see my maps and get searches in that green area between river and creek in my last two photos.

My questions now are:

1. Did he actually contact the friend in Natomas that night? It is said his phone was off after he left.
2. Are his car keys accounted for or with him? Were cams checked to see if he ever approached the vehicle?
3. WHEN did he delete his snapchat? Like that night or some unrelated time prior?

Of note, the profile pic and cover photo is different on his FB profile in the last day or so, and some posts are missing. Hopefully that is LE reverting it back to a specific time before his disappearance, or whoever changed it will have some 'splainin to do. Alex Holden

Finally, I don't think it is related, but a 17year old man went missing that same night and was found dead on the American River Trail about 5 miles east of the bridge Alex was suspected to have crossed to get to the trails.

I aw that update this morning and am glad they were able to check the footage so quickly. If they are certain he did not cross the river, I am actually more worried about self harm. If they aren't sure, I hope they see my maps and get searches in that green area between river and creek in my last two photos.

My questions now are:

1. Did he actually contact the friend in Natomas that night? It is said his phone was off after he left.
2. Are his car keys accounted for or with him? Were cams checked to see if he ever approached the vehicle?
3. WHEN did he delete his snapchat? Like that night or some unrelated time prior?

Of note, the profile pic and cover photo is different on his FB profile in the last day or so, and some posts are missing. Hopefully that is LE reverting it back to a specific time before his disappearance, or whoever changed it will have some 'splainin to do. Alex Holden

Finally, I don't think it is related, but a 17year old man went missing that same night and was found dead on the American River Trail about 5 miles east of the bridge Alex was suspected to have crossed to get to the trails.
What has been removed from his FB? When was it removed? TIA!

I am guessing he was intoxicated or he would drive his car, rather than take a 2 hour walk. Plus it was New Years Eve and he was out with friends. Hope they find him soon!

I agree. Most logical conclusion. I just wondered if maybe it was a shared vehicle and K has the keys.

All good questions you are asking! I did read on Reddit that he deleted his Snapchat ‘months ago’, per the OP of that thread. I would also like to know how he got home from the bars in the first place. Was he dropped off? Did he drive? Walk? Public transit? Idk. Also, the OP has been asked directly twice on the Reddit thread whether or not Alex struggled with addiction, and has not answered, instead re-stating how athletic he was and how he was familiar with the bike path. Could be irrelevant or could be hindering investigators, idk.
Being athletic and a long distance runner with his academic and professional record, it is unlikely he had any addiction issues to hard drugs. JMO

What has been removed from his FB? When was it removed? TIA!

I really regret I did not archive it earlier so I don't remember specifics, just that the profile photo was his face (not the current one) and the last post was more recent than october. It isn't unusual for privacy settings to be changed by LE or FB (or in this case maybe the PI) while being looked at so it is probably no biggie.

My questions now are:

1. That's my question also
2. I believe he left his car keys at home
3. He deleted his Snap a while ago

And the 17 year old was in a totally different place on the trail than where they were searching for Alex. He committed suicide. Missing 17-year-old Carmichael boy found dead on American River Bike Trail

Can Apple or the cellular carrier determine location after his phone went dead?

My questions now are:

BBM, I don't know about missing posts but his profile pic (posted 2/20/17) and cover photo (posted 7/12/17) are the same as they were two days ago. See screenshot in the article below.

Alex Holden, son of two local judges, is still missing
thumbnail_ALEX-HOLDEN-FB.png

There are a few things that could have reasonably happened - the one that bugs me the most is the area surrounding the entrance to the JSM trail as it appears the most desolate/unlit/wooded/water - that is putting less confidence in him jumping off the bridge into the river intentionally.

Does anyone know how lit this area is?
View attachment 223621

and this marsh?
View attachment 223622

ETA: he has a car, so it is extra weird he chose to walk this.
There's pretty much no lighting on the trail. If it runs alongside industrial building or a road they might have lighting, but not always.

In your second photo, that's not a marsh--just a dry area I guess.

I was happy to see another news story finally today--linking below. No progress, but I'm seeing that they're bringing in the police K-9's to search. I doubt they would do that if his parents weren't who they are, which is sad, but reality.

'We're trying to find you': Family searches for missing Sacramento man

There's pretty much no lighting on the trail. If it runs alongside industrial building or a road they might have lighting, but not always.

In your second photo, that's not a marsh--just a dry area I guess.

I was happy to see another news story finally today--linking below. No progress, but I'm seeing that they're bringing in the police K-9's to search. I doubt they would do that if his parents weren't who they are, which is sad, but reality.

'We're trying to find you': Family searches for missing Sacramento man
Thanks for this article. I hadn't seen it. :)

Noting:
  • AH's mother and stepfather arrived in Sacramento on Friday night.
  • His mother said AH's gf called her and asked her to try to contact AH. When she did, she couldn't get a hold of him either.
  • She said it was odd for him to ignore phone calls from his friends, his gf and his mother, especially on New Year's Eve, and that AH and his gf had plans with friends for that evening.
  • AH's father is expected to arrive in Sacramento on Saturday.
  • His mom said LE is planning to use K-9 to search for Holden.

I'm glad they're starting searches for him. Does anyone know why it can take LE so long sometimes to get that set up? I'd feel especially if they thought he went towards the river it would've made sense to send dogs out soon after he was reported missing (but maybe they wait just due to cases like these, where they now think he might not have gone to the river?). I'm actually even more concerned for his safety now that they're saying they don't think he went that way, because it's not like someone could be injured and unnoticed for several days in midtown like they possibly could be in the urban wilderness :/

I'm glad they're starting searches for him. Does anyone know why it can take LE so long sometimes to get that set up? I'd feel especially if they thought he went towards the river it would've made sense to send dogs out soon after he was reported missing (but maybe they wait just due to cases like these, where they now think he might not have gone to the river?). I'm actually even more concerned for his safety now that they're saying they don't think he went that way, because it's not like someone could be injured and unnoticed for several days in midtown like they possibly could be in the urban wilderness :/

I can't speak for Sac PD but going by general procedure, the initial person assigned to the case uses their experience and info gleaned from the report, the missing's sm and other records to determine the level of risk - this is necessary because adults have a right to disappear, and there are more cases than resources. That's already several hours. Once they decide they need to investigate, the sometimes slow nature of cooperation and logistics begins to unfold. Several steps need signatures, or personnel, lots of driving around, checking leads, canvassing, comparing notes, cops need sleep, and SAR efforts need some hours of planning and case review to ensure effective use of resources and time. With dogs, it is likely they've already had a tracker try trailing him from the apartment and this next search is a focused area. Dogs get tired and have limited attention spans - weather and schedules are also a consideration. This case has actually been handled very well/fast compared to similar ones. I hope they get a trace so we know which direction he was headed.

I can't speak for Sac PD but going by general procedure, the initial person assigned to the case uses their experience and info gleaned from the report, the missing's sm and other records to determine the level of risk - this is necessary because adults have a right to disappear, and there are more cases than resources. That's already several hours. Once they decide they need to investigate, the sometimes slow nature of cooperation and logistics begins to unfold. Several steps need signatures, or personnel, lots of driving around, checking leads, canvassing, comparing notes, cops need sleep, and SAR efforts need some hours of planning and case review to ensure effective use of resources and time. With dogs, it is likely they've already had a tracker try trailing him from the apartment and this next search is a focused area. Dogs get tired and have limited attention spans - weather and schedules are also a consideration. This case has actually been handled very well/fast compared to similar ones. I hope they get a trace so we know which direction he was headed.
100% agree - I think he has some very good metrics if you will working in his favor, because this case is moving a lot faster and getting far more attention than most that fit this general description.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back