Found Deceased UK - Anthony Knott, 33, last seen at a pub in Lewes, Sussex, 20 Dec 2019 #2

Body found according to Daily Mirror. Very sad ending to a case I've followed from the start.

The body of a firefighter who went missing during a work night out has been found, Sussex Police have said.

Land and water searches involving boats, dogs and drones took place to find Anthony Knott, 33, who was last seen in Lewes on 20 December.

Police said a member of the public alerted the force on Friday that a body had been found at Denton Island, in Newhaven harbour.

Det Insp Mark Rosser said officers believed it to be that of Mr Knott.

Absolutely tragic (if it is indeed him) but not unexpected.

Still important to find out how or why he ended up in the water though & my gut feeling based on what I perceived as agitation in the Lansdown footage combined with the phone being switched off makes me wonder about his state of mind.

Lewes Police
1 min ·
We are very sad to advise that this morning a body was recovered from the River Ouse at Newhaven and we believe it to be that of missing London firefighter Anthony Knott. His family has been advised and our thoughts are with them and his wide circle of friends at this time. Anthony went missing while on a night out in #Lewes just before Christmas. socsi.in/2QLUd

Sussex Police have recovered a body from the River Ouse at Newhaven.

A member of the public alerted police at 9.41am on Friday (January 10) to the body of a man in the water at Denton Island.

Sadly, police believe the body to be that of missing 33-year-old Anthony Knott from Orpington.

Detective Inspector Mark Rosser said: “Our thoughts are with the family and friends of Anthony at this difficult time. We too are saddened by this update and would ask the public and media to respect the families’ privacy at this time.

“We would like to thank the public for their tremendous support with our investigation into the disappearance of Anthony, along with our partner agencies and volunteers who assisted with the search.”

Body found in river at Newhaven believed to be Anthony Knott | Sussex Police

Lewes to Denton Island

خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

Was wondering what the distance was from the last sighting to where he was found so thanks for this.
Taking a look it’s possible that he did indeed end up in the water in Lewes but has travelled down stream with the floodwater and has eventually washed up. Awful sad news but expected.

‪‬‏‏

Just seen the news, how sad. :( However, I am personally not surprised. Lewes is not that far from Newhaven, and with the torrential rain we had at that time and since, I would not be surprised if he did end up in the river and then floated down to Newhaven. MOO

If it is him then thoughts are with his family and friends, at least they can now get some closure.

Gosh I was literally in the middle of writing a post saying he might of got washed down to Newhaven after revisiting a similar case (this one if anyone's interested);
Inquest reveals how beloved Dean Tate died after night out with brother

I was looking at Lewes on the map and could see that he was only 5/10 min walk from the Ouse from his last sighting on market Street, and was about to suggest maybe phoenix causeway bridge or somewhere near cliffe high street as a possible entry route.

None of that matters now though. What an awful outcome for AK and his loved ones. I'm truly so sorry to hear that a night of celebration can end in such tragedy like this. At the very least they have some closure rather than the horror of simply never knowing what happened and neverending speculation. Thoughts with them at this awful time.

He has been found at Denton Island.

I did mention this area on Tuesday that I would have a gamble on this location for him to be found.....

The bold type I have highlighted. I know the Denton Island area very well from my RNLI & sailing days.

Such a shame for him and Lucy and the kids as well as everyone else connected to him.

RIP AK

I'm very familiar with the English Channel in this area.

Quite some time ago, I was part of the RNLI crew on the lifeboats at Eastbourne which is to the east of Newhaven. We've been out on many, many callouts around the coast in this area, as far as Brighton sometimes to assist the crews there and including the Newhaven area, as well as recovered probably at least 50 bodies in my whole time in service from the sea.

What I would like to say regarding Anthony ending up in the water in Lewes and being taken out to sea down the Ouse and through the ferry port at Newhaven into the channel, it is a tidal river, was flooded at the time and when the tide would be receding back into the channel, the chances of him getting that far would be very slim at best. This would be because if he had passed away and drowned, he'd have sank to the riverbed almost certainly very quickly, along the river and the river bed itself, there's a large number of areas that a body could have got snagged on and held in place. By the time the body starts to swell and become 'gassed' where it would float to surface, after over 2 weeks, he would have been found I'm sure.

By now, if he was in the water, he should realistically have surfaced by now and would have been spotted somewhere.

I would place a strong bet he didn't land in the River Ouse regardless of the current, water levels and flooding. IF he did end up in the Ouse, I'd gamble on him being around Denton Island area just before Newhaven port, I'd have hoped that area was searched especially as there's quite a lot of boats moored up on the west side of the Island.

We have picked up bodies from the beaches next to Newhaven a few times that were swept to shore. We also were given the grim task of recovering a lot of the suicides from Beachy Head.

There's also the DFDS TransManche yellow ferries sailing to Dieppe twice a day, morning and night routes. He could possibly have jumped onto the 23:00 sailing that night IF he absconded. That ferry is very easy to get on without a passport.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin
Back