KY PROJECT KENTUCKY - Unidentified Persons Cold Cases

UP12249 - I am as “unsure/uncertain“ as NamUs is
UP57667 - She’s tall! 58'0"-64'0"(696-768 inches)
UP98 - the MANdible? (not sure how sex is determined on a mandible) got nothin’

UP59143 - unidentified bone (left humerus only) found lying on top of dirt at a cemetery. coroner says cemetery staff absolutely did not dig up a grave. report no graves at this site. unfortunately the site was not secured and was disturbed before coroner could return . no additional bones found on search per coroner. (I’ve got sooo many questions about this one. A bone, in an unsecured cemetery that has no graves, that ab-so-lute-ly was not dug up by staff, but was otherwise disturbed? :confused: Who, what, when, where, and why? Literally too mind boggling for me to even want to figure out! lol)

UP13107 - I’m with you. I got nothin’
UP16351 - Nothin’ here either

UP105 - I was thinking he had a ViCAP alert, I either didn’t save it or I was mistaken. Now this one is bothering me too.... First off, the “recons” on NamUs are worse than a graphic postmortem! (IMO) You can tell they were probably taken at autopsy but just doctored to look not-so-graphic. I’d rather just see a raw photo... AND I hadn’t seen the top right corner where his vital stats are listed... they’re not entirely the same as what’s listed (he has blue eyes! and his age range is more specific)

View attachment 228010

Thanks for looking! Yeah, there's so little available on some of these cases, especially UP59143 (how does the one bone just go missing???). Rosine Doe, I have no idea how an error of that scale was made, but I'm assuming they meant to put in 5'8" to 6'4". Then again, that seems really tall for a female. Not impossible, just quite unprecedented.

Letcher County Doe, I'm pretty sure doesn't have a ViCAP alert. I think the images shown are one of those sculpture reconstructions, but the image is just quite poor quality. I saw the top right corner a while ago but I don't feel too comfortable using some of it for searches.

The approximate age seems about in line with the one blurb I found in a Kentucky newspaper that was related to the case. The image says 32-36, while the blurb says 30-36. PMI is all over the place; image has it as a bit less than 2 months, while the blurb has 4 months. The thing that really bothers me is the "blue eyes" mention. Letcher County Doe's PMI was months, and I can't imagine that after lying in the Letcher County wilderness for months, his eyes would've still been intact enough to allow an observation of eye color. Unless his PMI was way less than initially predicted?

UP105 1.PNG

With “Letcher” 1982, UP105 - the photo also looks like he had some teeth missing... He was stabbed in the back and I don’t see any other mention of perimortem trauma... so maybe we’re looking for someone who was missing front teeth?

Interestingly, Ryan Kemp (the MP who is specifically listed on Doe Network as not being Letcher) is pretty far outside the estimated vitals...age, race, and hair color fit, but based on the photos and estimated date of death, I’d say these are pretty close to “measured” rather than “estimated”.

Ryan’s vs Letcher’s:
- 5’9” to 5’10” (6’2”)
- 135 – 140 lbs. (190 lbs.)
- hazel eyes (blue)

CRIMEWATCH®

The reconstruction definitely looks like it's showing some (1-2?) missing front teeth, so that could be a good lead.

I have seen more off rule-outs in cases, oddly. I think Economy Jane Doe in PA had a rule-out that was a black male who went missing 3 months prior. And that's just one that I can think of right off the bat.

I’m now convinced there is some room for error (intentional or otherwise) in Chris Zahn’s case! In short (yah right) Chris arrived in Florida from Switzerland in September 1991. He stayed there with friends until January 1992 when he set out on his tour of popular US cities. First stop - Georgia. He kept in touch with his mother and the friends from Florida via telephone and letters. By all accounts, the communication stopped sometime in April.

Chris supposedly spoke with his travel agent over the phone on April 28, 1992. That’s the last known contact by anyone with “Chris”. I say “Chris” because I’m thinking there’s a chance that the travel agent did not speak with Chris, rather someone pretending to be Chris. (If the account was from someone close to or familiar with him, I’d be less suspicious, as he spoke with a slight German accent) but listen to this. It’s from the appeal filed by Harry Hale in regards to the fraud charges he received for using Chris’ stolen credit cards...

“Jones [investigator] also obtained a motel receipt from a Carrollton [Georgia] motel, showing a room rental in May in Zahn's name. He determined that three phone calls were made from that room, including two local calls traced to Musick and Turner, two local teenagers. Talking to these young men, Jones discovered that they had met a man using the name "Christoph" while on a visit to Cumberland Mall in the spring of 1992. They said he had a "funny accent" and told them he was from Switzerland. They talked with him for about 15 minutes and gave him their phone numbers.

Law enforcement authorities from Cobb and Carroll Counties and the GBI were contacted and the two young men were brought to Atlanta on October 13th in order to prepare a composite drawing of the man they met. Further investigation identified Hale and, on January 6, 1993, the two men were shown a photo spread from which each separately identified Hale as the man they met at the mall.”

Kentucky also has a 1990 homicide cold case involving the shooting deaths of 3 individuals near Glasgow; two of their last names are Hale. It may or may not be related, but I think worth noting.

So, depending on exactly when Hale met Chris (and likely murdered him) and started impersonating him (as is evident from the court document), I think it’s very possible that Chris could be UP94, who coincidentally was also shot to death.

I think there is some room for error in the disappearance date based on that; if Hale had been impersonating Zahn longer, then it's possible that Zahn's disappearance could be a bit more in-line with Keysburg Doe's PMI. The 5" or so height difference between Zahn and the Doe is a bit concerning, but it wouldn't be entirely unprecedented (what, with Margaret Walden/Rio Arriba Jane Doe's heights being out-of-sync by somewhere in the ballpark of 7"?)

I have looked and looked for info regarding Hale and these other alleged incidents...I couldn’t find a thing. I have a feeling it’s going to be worth it to find though!

Chris’ height was all over the place too, 6’0” in some places, 6’3” in others. Something under 6’0” in one article, but it could have been the one that had his DLC as 1991 and not 1992.

Another thing I wondered about was how UP94 being covered in plastic and saw horses might have affected decomposition. With it being spring time and humid...idk. Having some kind of info on his dentition would be nice. It’s hard to tell, but looks like something noticeable is going on with Chris’ front teeth. I went ahead and added him to possibles for UP94.

I’ve been a busy, unproductive little night owl :D:p

ETA: I did find some pretty good updates for Letcher ‘81 and John W. Coolaid! :cool::p

Just curious, what did you find on Letcher Doe? It's really bothering me how I can find so little on his death, not even a more accurate location.

OMG!! @ClaireNC and @GJKJR the maps?! :eek: FABULOUS!! And I just saw your PA spreadsheet! I like it so much better than mine!! :D So so awesome!

Thanks! Though, I'm of the belief that yours is a lot more aesthetically pleasing than mine is, lol. I was basically trying to get as much potential identifying information as I could into the spreadsheet. Maybe I can revamp it to make it a little prettier and easier to digest.

Wait, hold the phone. I found an article about Keysburg Doe, which states that he only had one kidney. This gives a decent bit more information on the case in general, actually.

ETA: I found another article which stated that Keysburg Doe was of "Oriental, Hispanic, or Indian" descent, at least 40 years old?, and the kidney he was missing was his right kidney. I'm starting to doubt that this is Chris Zahn.

Attachments

• UP94 3.PNG
    UP94 3.PNG
    247.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Thanks for looking! Yeah, there's so little available on some of these cases, especially UP59143 (how does the one bone just go missing???). Rosine Doe, I have no idea how an error of that scale was made, but I'm assuming they meant to put in 5'8" to 6'4". Then again, that seems really tall for a female. Not impossible, just quite unprecedented.

snipped by car buff.

What usually happens with that kind of height error is, Namus wants height entered in feet and inches, but often (most of the time?) the reports from which the data is entered state the height in just inches. If the data entry person doesn't notice that, it comes out funny. My guess based on other cases where this has happened (and it's a common error) is that she's 58" to 64", which would be 4'10" to 5'4", which is a small to low average woman's height. But that's just a guess.

What usually happens with that kind of height error is, Namus wants height entered in feet and inches, but often (most of the time?) the reports from which the data is entered state the height in just inches. If the data entry person doesn't notice that, it comes out funny. My guess based on other cases where this has happened (and it's a common error) is that she's 58" to 64", which would be 4'10" to 5'4", which is a small to low average woman's height. But that's just a guess.
Oh, yes, I forgot that! 58" to 64" is a lot more likely than 5'8" to 6'4", at least for a female. Thanks for clearing that up.

UP98 - the MANdible? (not sure how sex is determined on a mandible) got nothin’

UP59143 - unidentified bone (left humerus only) found lying on top of dirt at a cemetery. coroner says cemetery staff absolutely did not dig up a grave. report no graves at this site. unfortunately the site was not secured and was disturbed before coroner could return . no additional bones found on search per coroner. (I’ve got sooo many questions about this one. A bone, in an unsecured cemetery that has no graves, that ab-so-lute-ly was not dug up by staff, but was otherwise disturbed? :confused: Who, what, when, where, and why? Literally too mind boggling for me to even want to figure out! lol)

(snipped by Carbuff)

The angle of the jaw joint can be an indicator of sex.

The most likely explanation for the bone is that somebody's dog dragged it there. Possibly a coyote or other animal, but I looked on the map, and the coordinates from Namus map to the middle of town. I see at least two churches in the area, so I'm guessing the "cemetery" might be a historic one associated with a church. But the coordinates might not be accurate, either. The big town cemetery isn't too far away, but it doesn't fit the description

I’m just catching up on here! I spent all night (and day) reading about Hale! omg! If y’all haven’t read that transcribed podcast about the Walter, you should! I had a hard time reading the site (white text on black background), so I copy and pasted to a Doc so I could read it more easily... I started annotating it and just wound up with the entire thing highlighted!! :eek: This is sloppy and incomplete, but for anyone wanting to look into it further, I tried putting all the info I was finding, in one place...
HALE

I’m serious, it’s worth the read! More red flags than I can count or try to explain.

Okay... I’m gonna catch up with the thread now! :D

Hi everyone, just reading & catching up.
I’m from KY & vividly remember when this man was found.
Someone asked about the depth of the lake, I’m guessing 55’. We used to boat a lot & most of our circle preferred much deeper water, Jmo.
Also I attached image of 8ton jack.

Do any of you think this man was hitchhiking?
Ty

Sunex 8-Ton Long Stroke Bottle Jack-5081B - The Home Depot Link for jack

all moo
(I forgot I quoted your comment on the other thread) I don’t think he was hitchhiking...IMO.

Do you remember anything specifically about him being found? That maybe isn’t listed on his reports? Thanks for all the insight!!
I can help out with research and stuff. What do you need?
Anything! Literally :D
We’ve mostly been trying to find specifics for a lot of the cases in order to perfect the maps and spreadsheet. That way we have handy resources with the most accurate info and can really focus on making matches! There’s so little information for most of them. I think maybe 5 at the most (not including DDP cases) have lengthy descriptions and at least one of those is all kinds of wrong! LOL! So anything you can dig up would be great! But this is a group effort so any help would be awesome! :)

The approximate age seems about in line with the one blurb I found in a Kentucky newspaper that was related to the case. The image says 32-36, while the blurb says 30-36. PMI is all over the place; image has it as a bit less than 2 months, while the blurb has 4 months. The thing that really bothers me is the "blue eyes" mention. Letcher County Doe's PMI was months, and I can't imagine that after lying in the Letcher County wilderness for months, his eyes would've still been intact enough to allow an observation of eye color. Unless his PMI was way less than initially predicted?

I think there is some room for error in the disappearance date based on that; if Hale had been impersonating Zahn longer, then it's possible that Zahn's disappearance could be a bit more in-line with Keysburg Doe's PMI. The 5" or so height difference between Zahn and the Doe is a bit concerning, but it wouldn't be entirely unprecedented (what, with Margaret Walden/Rio Arriba Jane Doe's heights being out-of-sync by somewhere in the ballpark of 7"?)

Just curious, what did you find on Letcher Doe? It's really bothering me how I can find so little on his death, not even a more accurate location.

Thanks! Though, I'm of the belief that yours is a lot more aesthetically pleasing than mine is, lol. I was basically trying to get as much potential identifying information as I could into the spreadsheet. Maybe I can revamp it to make it a little prettier and easier to digest.
(RSBM)
- too tall! I see where y’all mention it’s probably inches... I didn’t think of that, so I’m going to edit that on the sheet.

- the blue eyes bothered me too! That and the lifelike, albeit rough, appearance of the photos, make me think the PMI is relatively short. Even though “months” and “1981” is all that’s listed for PMI/date of death on his NamUs and DoeNet. That NamUs photo gives an approximate date of death “August 30, 1981”... so I put 2 months on our chart. A little more narrowed down, but I also highlighted it so we can ask about it’s accuracy.

- that height discrepancy is the only thing about that theory I don’t like! And can’t really explain either...

- I can’t find anything on Letcher really...

- I would have everything hot pink with glitter if it were up to me :p so I like your sheet just fine! But you’ll perfect it to your likely over time...that’s what I’ve been doing!
Wait, hold the phone. I found an article about Keysburg Doe, which states that he only had one kidney. This gives a decent bit more information on the case in general, actually.

ETA: I found another article which stated that Keysburg Doe was of "Oriental, Hispanic, or Indian" descent, at least 40 years old?, and the kidney he was missing was his right kidney. I'm starting to doubt that this is Chris Zahn.
I know I saw somewhere that he was “native”! That’s why I put him as White/Hispanic/Native! I can’t figure out where I saw that though. Probably a newspaper I forgot to clip... now Oriental or Indian?! And over 40?! :confused: I’ve never seen the kidney part, but the uncertainty in race/ethnicity makes me think more that it’s Chris! (Read that story about the boy Hale murdered...they had his body cremated and his mother still has the ashes because she isn’t even sure that it’s her son!!!!)
makes so much more sense! :cool:
The angle of the jaw joint can be an indicator of sex.

The most likely explanation for the bone is that somebody's dog dragged it there. Possibly a coyote or other animal, but I looked on the map, and the coordinates from Namus map to the middle of town. I see at least two churches in the area, so I'm guessing the "cemetery" might be a historic one associated with a church. But the coordinates might not be accurate, either. The big town cemetery isn't too far away, but it doesn't fit the description
This is one I’ve not put much thought into (yet)...I don’t see where I’d even begin to search for a potential explanation or match :/

If anyone can find better photos of Mitchell Manns, that’d be great! Any information on him really. I’ve been eyeing a few potentials when it comes to him but his photo is not a great one. I think he ended up in KY though. Out of the two other victims of Hale’s...one disappeared from Kentucky and was found dead in Georgia. One disappeared from Georgia and has never been found. Although I think it’s more than safe to assume he’s no longer living.

Oh wait! Hold the phone again...he’s way too all over the place, or maybe I am. lol... what do we wanna do with his stats? I think I confused him with Letcher a minute ago... or Chris with Letcher :confused:

How is a congenitally (is that a word?) missing kidney NOT listed anywhere? That is something I could see potentially being listed on a MP report. Over, say...a missing front tooth!

And this abandoned farmhouse belonged to an out of state resident?! o_O Did you post the article about him being Oriental/Indian/Hispanic? I added the others to the Doc. I guess I’m just really confused about Letcher and Keysberg. I’m going to have to pause and read those two again lol :oops:

Wayyyy off topic. Has anyone ever heard this song? I’ve always loved the song and now every time I start working on this Kentucky stuff, I can’t seem to get it out of my head! ;):D

re: Hale
Okay, things I picked up from reading about the murder of Walter Cropper that I think might be relevant to some of our cases...or facts worth noting; too many coincidences and commonalities. Some of this could be up for debate considering the source, so keep in mind this is mostly based off of Walter’s mother’s interview. Although some of it can be substantiated by other sources I’ve found. I think at the very least it gives us things to look out for...(FWIW/IMHO)
  • Walter (20) had been living in Prestonsburg, Kentucky for 2 years (attending school) but was from Panama City, Florida
  • He went missing from Kentucky on Sept. 20, 1992 and was found murdered a mile from the intersection of I-75 and Hwy 140 in Adairsville, Georgia on Oct. 6, 1992
  • Walter was shot with a .22 Raven, in his chest, and the gun has never been found.
  • Hale lived in Prestonsburg, Kentucky at the time of Walter’s disappearance/murder
  • Walter was a member of the of the Catholic church in Kentucky
  • He was a counselor for a Catholic church’s kids camp in Kentucky
  • He was a volunteer for the fire department in Kentucky
  • He worked at the Carl D. Perkins Job Corps Center
  • He was studying carpentry and had a girlfriend
  • Walter’s mother claims he was happy and had a lot of friends; investigators says he was a loner who didn’t have many friends
  • Hale admittedly met Walter on several occasions and apparently had “a lot of terrible things to say about him” (he first denied knowing him)
  • There was supposedly evidence that a man fitting Hale’s description had followed Walter one time; this complaint was filed with the school security officer
  • Investigators say there was no documented history of harassment but that Walter was “bullied and picked on often”
  • His Seiko walk-along recorder was found at Hale’s home in Kentucky after his murder
  • They couldn’t convict Hale for Walter’s murder because Walter was out in the elements for so long that there was no evidence.
  • Walter’s body was cremated at the suggestion of authorities due to the state/condition of his remains and his ashes returned to Florida (not sure the details on this)
  • Walter’s mother has kept the ashes because she is not convinced it is actually him (denial? I don’t know)
  • She thought Walter and Chris could be twins, they looked so much alike
  • His autopsy report confirmed he died at the location he was found
  • His mother questioned the autopsy report for several reasons; it showed the decedent to have an indenture in the head and a scar on the head - Walter did not have any head injury. But he did have a broken clavicle which occurred at birth and a broken leg from a bicycle accident when he was 14 which were not listed on the autopsy report his mother saw
  • The autopsy indicated the decedent had dark brown hair; Walter had wavy strawberry blond hair
  • The identification was made by dental record comparison and not records from his home state, rather from some place in Kentucky
  • Hale drove a red 1993 Ford Probe with Georgia license plates in April 1992. He is described as 6'1” with thinning, graying brown hair and green eyes.
  • Chris Zahn (21) went missing from Atlanta, Georgia in April 1992
  • He has never been located
  • Hale was a resident of Austell, Georgia at the time of Zahn's 1992 disappearance. He also owned homes in Kentucky and Florida
  • After his disappearance, several personal items belonging to Chris were also found in Hale’s Kentucky home
  • Both Walter and Chris’ families told investigators that they had not just “run off somewhere” but LE still felt it was a possibility in both cases
  • Investigators said that Hale had a reputation for stalking bus stations and highways searching for young male transients in 1992
  • Hale was questioned in Georgia in connection to sexual assaults against young males
  • He was convicted of indecent exposure, in Kentucky sometime during 1981

Oh wait! Hold the phone again...he’s way too all over the place, or maybe I am. lol... what do we wanna do with his stats? I think I confused him with Letcher a minute ago... or Chris with Letcher :confused:

How is a congenitally (is that a word?) missing kidney NOT listed anywhere? That is something I could see potentially being listed on a MP report. Over, say...a missing front tooth!

And this abandoned farmhouse belonged to an out of state resident?! o_O Did you post the article about him being Oriental/Indian/Hispanic? I added the others to the Doc. I guess I’m just really confused about Letcher and Keysberg. I’m going to have to pause and read those two again lol :oops:

I guess the age range could be "20-40+" or something, but I'm just as confused as you are.
I have no idea why the kidney wasn't mentioned anywhere, that seems quite important.
I didn't add the article in that post, but here is the article that I was referring to in the ETA.
UP94 6.PNG

Wayyyy off topic. Has anyone ever heard this song? I’ve always loved the song and now every time I start working on this Kentucky stuff, I can’t seem to get it out of my head! ;):D
Can't say I have, lol. There are some songs that I've listened to about 30 times over while compiling this information, though, so I'm definitely going to end up thinking of this venture whenever I hear them.

Can't really say for sure on too much else (these timelines and detail posts about potential killers always confuse me, for some reason), but I remember that Keysburg Doe *was* shot in the chest.

@GJKJR by the time I get done with those long posts, I’ve already confused myself but spent so much time doing so, I hate deleting it all :D A lot of it was just key points; Walter’s ties to the Catholic community, some specifics about Hale and the places he’s lived, just some things that have also come up in several of our UID. It may not be relative to any of them, but in case we come across one where a decedent had ties to the same places, it might be useful. And knowing that Hale shot him and what kind of gun was used... idk lol

Now my question about EDIT: Keysburg not Letcher; it says he was of Mongoloid decent. Isn’t that something DNA testing would prove? I didn’t think they could determine that from just a standard autopsy??

Good find! NamUs has him listed as Hispanic. My take from the various sources is that he might have been a mix of Hispanic and Native American.
I went down the rabbit hole of researching hereditary solitary kidney defect (Unilateral renal agenesis) by race to see if we could draw any conclusions, but didn't find anything definitive. Side note, adults can be born with just 1 kidney and never know it unless they have medical problems that require x-rays and testing.

In addition to the race issue, the ages reported seem to place him closer to 40 years old. The fact that he was wearing yellow sweatpants seems out of character for a 20 year old, too. I doubt this is Chris Zahn, but it would be great to get him officially ruled out on NamUs.

GJKJR did you add the articles you found to the Keysburg Doe thread on WS? It would be good to do that. And, in keeping within TOS, I think we need to include the source with the article image. (i.e.newspaper/date)

@GJKJR by the time I get done with those long posts, I’ve already confused myself but spent so much time doing so, I hate deleting it all :D A lot of it was just key points; Walter’s ties to the Catholic community, some specifics about Hale and the places he’s lived, just some things that have also come up in several of our UID. It may not be relative to any of them, but in case we come across one where a decedent had ties to the same places, it might be useful. And knowing that Hale shot him and what kind of gun was used... idk lol

Now my question about EDIT: Keysburg not Letcher; it says he was of Mongoloid decent. Isn’t that something DNA testing would prove? I didn’t think they could determine that from just a standard autopsy??
I get what you're saying. Not your fault of course, just a lot for my lil' brain to process :p

I have no idea if they ever did DNA testing to confirm that, but from a standard autopsy with remains in the state that Keysburg's body was in, I'd imagine they looked at the remaining facial features and bone structure to try and determine it. Not 100% infallible of course, but it's an interesting conclusion.

Good find! NamUs has him listed as Hispanic. My take from the various sources is that he might have been a mix of Hispanic and Native American.
I went down the rabbit hole of researching hereditary solitary kidney defect (Unilateral renal agenesis) by race to see if we could draw any conclusions, but didn't find anything definitive. Side note, adults can be born with just 1 kidney and never know it unless they have medical problems that require x-rays and testing.

In addition to the race issue, the ages reported seem to place him closer to 40 years old. The fact that he was wearing yellow sweatpants seems out of character for a 20 year old, too. I doubt this is Chris Zahn, but it would be great to get him officially ruled out on NamUs.

GJKJR did you add the articles you found to the Keysburg Doe thread on WS? It would be good to do that. And, in keeping within TOS, I think we need to include the source with the article image. (i.e.newspaper/date)

Hispanic and Native American would seem pretty realistic given the information we have, hmm. No idea on the age though, not too familiar on the fashion of the time, after all.

You're right, I need to add them to the Keysburg thread. My fault, apologies. I'm currently in class, so I will upload them as soon as possible. TY for reminding me!

@GJKJR

The use of the term Mongoloid means the conclusion in the ME's report was based on observation rather than through DNA. Mongoloid is used to describe people from Asia/Siberia/Pacific Islands and Native Americans with certain physical characteristics, like shovel-shaped teeth and shape of the eyes/folds in the corners of the eyes.

Sorry for multiple posts. My brain is all over the place today, so I'm responding to various posts one at a time.

Some overall thoughts:
-Any additional articles info we find should be posted to the individual threads for each UID.
-To keep within TOS, I think articles posted need to include source and date.
-Might want to make a thread in the Serial Killer section for Harry Hale.

The song! Had not heard that in years...good soundtrack for this endeavor.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Searching4Answers2
Back