AL - Paighton Houston, 29, left bar with 2 men, Birmingham, 20 Dec 2019 *arrests* #6

Let me get this straight, she's sitting in this house smoking weed, having drinks, preparing a mixture of heroin and cocaine, and she suddenly decides to text that she was in trouble and didn't know he people she was with? Come on.
Her texts didn't say to send help or call the cops. It said to make sure to answer the phone if she calls. I didn't interpret the texts as being anything more than some paranoia/panic going off as she realized she was in way over her head. But even then, she never even actually asked for help. At the end of the day, many of these other theories require that PH was slipped something in her drink or tricked in some way. But that doesn't fit with the stone-cold truth that she apparently paid for drugs and then injected herself with a speedball cocktail. I will remind folks also she was addicted to heroin and almost died. Heroin is injected as well. So PH knew all about this process and how to use hardcore drugs. She was not a naive innocent flower being led to her doom, IMO.

Let me get this straight, she's sitting in this house smoking weed, having drinks, preparing a mixture of heroin and cocaine, and she suddenly decides to text that she was in trouble and didn't know he people she was with? Come on.
More and more I'm thinking that her text meant that she felt like she was slipping into an OD and that she didn't think she could count on the people she was with to intercede - and she was right

I just feel that if they had evidence of rape, they would have gone after FH harder and made it clear to the public he was wanted in connection with a rape too.
Like you said before, people don't give away drugs but sometimes they expect payment in things other than money. We'll see what comes out under questioning.

Drugs are expensive. No one “gave” PH drugs. She bought them with cash from her purse. Let’s not remove personal agency entirely here.
Any idea how much $ we might be talking about here?
I wonder if she might have become paranoid. Just anxiety
Here is my problem with this. Paighton supposedly left Tin Roof at 10:45. The house where she was killed looked to be about 20 minutes away. Her text that she was in trouble came at about 12:15 as I recall. So, assuming these times are reasonably accurate, she would have been at the house shortly after 11:00. An hour and 15 minutes later she is freely texting and sounding fully lucid. Nobody goes to a "crack house" and shoots the breeze for more than an hour. If she did overdose, I would say that it would have happened shortly after she got to that residence, just after 11:00. And, if she overdosed, why would she send a text that she was in trouble? You suggest that she left willingly to do drugs and overdosed. The text message simply doesn't fit in to that scenario.
BBM
Might have just been paranoia from the speedball kicking in....:((

I think it would have been important for the public and those possibly harboring FH to know that he was wanted for a violent rape and possible murder.
What we the public thinks is important to know isn’t always what LE believes is important for us to know in order to preserve the integrity of a case. I don’t for a minute believe that any member of his family was unaware he was a wanted man.
I am now more confused that The Us Marshall’s and a Violent Fugitive Task Force we’re hunting this guy down over a sheer accident. Something tells me there is another twist coming and maybe it has nothing to do with PH at all? Jmo

I agree, there is still something that seems off. However, I think it is hard to believe because of the image of Paighton that was portrayed. As far as we know , she was responsible and was sober up to that day. She would not just leave with random men, but the truth is we do not know her personally . She could have been back to using before and her family did not know or that was her first time using again. If LE is certain it is not a homicide investigation then I guess we will not be privy to what really happened leading up to this tragic case. I hope at least her parents are able to get the truth.

I agree, there is still something that seems off. However, I think it is hard to believe because of the image of Paighton that was portrayed. As far as we know , she was responsible and was sober up to that day. She would not just leave with random men, but the truth is we do not know her personally . She could have been back to using before and her family did not know or that was her first time using again. If LE is certain it is not a homicide investigation then I guess we will not be privy to what really happened leading up to this tragic case. I hope at least her parents are able to get the truth.
Sadly, I think that her work friends convinced her to indulge in what they thought was just some light "partying" before they all went out with no idea the effect it might have on a recovering addict. This would explain a lot of what's happened.

In these situations everyone seems to be looking for someone to blame. The sad truth is obvious to most who have been there and done that. I doubt anything her friends or co workers did changed the outcome. You have to ask yourself, had it been one of the co-workers that wound up in her place, would you be implying the same things about PH. I'm sure their family would come out in their defense with similar flower language meant so show love and support for their child to.

I guess it's hard to believe because based on all I've read about her, it seems rather out of her character to be alone, partying with complete strangers (assuming they were, that is). I know drug addicts tend to do things that shock even those closest to them, but PH was clean and seemed determined to stay that way. Something just seems to be missing.

I won’t bring any “rumors” to this thread, but, as most of us are aware, there were a multitude of rumors that indicate PH was having a very emotional evening prior to the events that were set in motion.
From personal experience with a close family member that struggles to this day with addiction, he has been through a multitude of programs and has been in “recovery” a multitude of times - a couple of times with more than a year of clean time under his belt.
When he’s clean and sober, he’s one of the biggest hearted individuals you would ever want to meet. However, in his case, his relapse trigger is almost always tied to an emotional event, and the event isn’t always something drastic. As much as he hates the person he is when using, it’s his go-to coping mechanism.
Another factor that can come into play is that a lot of recovering addicts, when sober, carry within themselves a great deal of guilt regarding their actions when they were using. They are always trying to redeem themselves for past actions. That constant guilt only adds to their mental stress of staying clean.
The thought processes of anyone struggling with addiction are extremely complex and almost always self destructive in nature. I have sympathy for anyone dealing with addiction issues, but I have even deeper sympathy for their family & loved ones that have to deal with the heartache and emotional roller coaster that follows each relapse. The addict is not the only victim of addiction.

Apologies for the lengthy and rambling post, but the topic of addiction hits close to home.

PH falling off the wagon does not surprise me at all, but that doesn’t mean there’s not more to this story.
It will be interesting to see how it plays out from here.

I guess it's hard to believe because based on all I've read about her, it seems rather out of her character to be alone, partying with complete strangers (assuming they were, that is). I know drug addicts tend to do things that shock even those closest to them, but PH was clean and seemed determined to stay that way. Something just seems to be missing.
The fact that she had been clean for some time may have contributed to her death. If she had lost her tolerance it would have been hard to judge what would have been a safe amount.

This is why it's so easy for people to overdose if they start using again.
I'm sure I'm not stating anything everyone doesn't already know but I think that's what happened in this case.

It's also very hard to say what would have been out of character for her.
What was normal for her when sober and what was normal when she was using are two different things.

She may not have planned on using that night, but ran into some people she knew from her partying days and just could not resist the urge to use. It happens all too often, unfortunately. It only takes a second to make that decision.

This is what I expected had happened as soon as we learned she left willingly with this guy. Especially since she had only been clean for a year or two (although I'm not sure that was confirmed)
The only reason I felt that way is because it's an all too familiar story and it happens over and over again. Just about everybody I know who has died from an overdose has died this way.

Of course I could be wrong and she had been using for awhile without anyone knowing but I doubt it.

Imo

Last edited:
Paighton overdosed. That is not my opinion. That is the coroner's finding.

Might there be a murder charge, or some other charge forthcoming? Possibly. Time will tell.

This is my opinion.....Throughout this entire case, reading just about every post, if not all of them, there have been various opinions on addiction. I had posted several times that if drugs/alcohol were not involved in PH's death I'd be surprised.

I speak from the vantage point of 27 years of sobriety. And this is for me. It is my opinion. It is how I see things from my vantage point. Take it or leave it. If you are an addict/alcoholic, and you hang out in a barbershop long enough, you'll get a haircut.

I don't keep rattlesnakes in my underwear drawer.

Once you're a pickle, you can never become a cucumber again.

There is no such thing as moderation, or management, or controlled drinking/using.

The results of addiction are 4......1. prison 2. psychiatric institutions 3. death 4. recovery

I apologize up front, if I sound crass, however, this case clearly shows the truth of addiction, the denial, the rationalization, the co-dependency, the enabling, the entire gamut.

PH died from addiction.

MOO

I agree that we all just want to know what happened. We have to remember that LE said from the beginning, "it's complicated." So I do think there is more to the story. However, the cast of characters that failed PH when she needed them most, whether ever charged or not, have to live with this the rest of their lives. Even if they were wasted and have no complete memory now, the mind is a crazy thing. It can bring things back when you least expect it. For those that do know everything that occurred (which I actually believe was most of them) they will have this replaying in their mind over and over and over every time they close their eyes. It will be torture. Because many have addictions (apparently,) they may be prone to relapse and I do not predict a bright future for them. They do not seem to have anyone with strong moral character advising them that telling the whole and complete truth, owning their part (whether criminal or not) is the only way they will ever be free. No that is not easy. But the right way often isn't.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rayne_solves
Back