Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, Lorson Ranch, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *endangered*

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's 11 years old.
He's in the 5th grade.
5th graders don't make grand, elaborate escape plans.

GS doesn't have the critical thinking skills of an adult.

He reportedly left the house without so much as a jacket on…so what does that tell you about his planning skills?

JMO.
Fifth graders and younger make very elaborate plans and frequently commit suicide.
Suicides under age 13: One every 5 days - CNN

Child Suicide Attempts Are Skyrocketing in The US, And Nobody Knows Why

Homeless in youths (slightly older age brackets but rationale presented for their choice to leave home)

45 Uncommon Teenage Runaway Statistics

Why Do Young People Become Homeless in America? – National Network for Youth (NN4Y)
1. One out of every 7 kids between the ages of 10-18 will choose to run away from home at least once.
2. Up to 22% of girls that choose to run away from home will become pregnant because of their choice to become a runaway.
3. 17% of runaways and homeless kids report that they were subjected to unwanted sexual activity by a member of their house or a member of their family.
4. Almost 50% of girls on the streets and 1 in 3 girls living in shelters report that they have been pregnant at least once in the past.
5. 63% of kids that live in homeless shelters suffer from some form of depression.
6. 17% of runaways have been involved with the local juvenile justice system in some way.
7. 5,000 kids die every year because of illness, disease, assault, or suicide while they are living on the streets.
8. HIV rates in runaways are up to 10 times higher than the average infection rates in the United States.
9. Black teen runaways have a disproportionate rate of running away, making up 27% of the total population of kids that choose to run away.

Takeaway: Being able to see the warning signs before a decision is ultimately made is extremely important. Although no parent can read the mind of their child, being rebellious is a common risk factor, but it doesn’t mean that is the sole reason why a teen may choose to run away. Risky behaviors, such as sex with multiple partners, committing crime, or using drugs also increase the risks. Grades that drop suddenly, strange mood swings, and changes in their routine are also risk factors. Always take a threat to run away seriously. Intervene if you see a collection of money that has been hidden or there are clothes that are packed and ready.

I hope this is ok to post since I saw it on FB, but its not pertaining to any info on the case or anything.

The guy who has volunteered his time and equipment painted his drone blue and it's just so amazing to see the community come together this way. Last night I saw that the local Walmarts had sold out of blue lights and people were asking if anybody had any to spare and many business also put blue lights up in support.

Awesome response by GS's local community.

Hopefully, his family can draw strength from all the community support.

Reminds me of all the pink we saw on display for HD.

JMO.

[
He just uploaded two new videos today. It appears he is in the area of where Gannon was last seen. The MSM article didn’t mention the spot they went hiking at so it’s hard to say where they went until they release that. I think the footage is good to see for a non local to understand the terrain. There is an awful lot of new construction in the area too. Growing up our development was expanding and I know my friends and I were guilty of hanging out inside the unfinished frames to hide from cops and parents while we skipped school or did bad stuff.
I believe you have to get permission to fly a drone in the area where GS went hiking on Sunday, from what I have been told.

Not much of a hiker.
I should be-- it's good for the body and soul !
Wouldn't mind taking a look around the trails they walked on, on Sun. either by myself or with others.

Here's a thought-- maybe Gannon said he was going to a friend's house but went back to the trails to hang out for a bit and explore ?
It would be tempting for a boy that age.
And he didn't realize how dangerous it could be with bad weather and possible strangers ?
Still, one would think he'd be spotted on someone's ring cameras.

Eta : Were the trails withing reasonable walking distance from the home-- or was it a 15-20 minute drive ?
Although an 11 year old might misjudge how far away the hike was.
I'm curious if he could have sneaked off without being spotted by any surveillance ?
From his relatives in msm it sounds like he was a not a loner and liked to be close to people.

The area where they supposedly hiked on Sunday was not walking distance for GS.

If the sunday hike was at the Garden of the Gods Park (which i think it might have been) that place is for nothing other than hiking and enjoying the scenery. On any given weekend, that place is like a Whole Foods parking lot. It's packed with families, hikers, rock climbers, horse-back riders, picnickers, mountain bikers. And I mean packed, have to wait your turn in some places like standing rock or kissing camels. Even off-trail you are bound to run into people (it's where we went to get into mischief in high school). It's hardly a place you would look to plan something nefarious. Garden of the Gods is on the west side of town, not close enough for a 10 year old to return to.

Agreed. GOTG is pretty full. In the photo that she says she took on the hike, you can even see someone in the background of the photo. Even though it is so pretty, I try to avoid that place for any real hiking as it is a tourist trap these days.

BOOM!
139.gif

There it is!

Finally, FINALLY….We can discuss the now-infamous "Sunday Hike."

Thanks, @JerseyGirl !!!!
YES, YES, YES! OK, where did the hike occur? Did anyone in the area witness them hiking? Was Stepmom's phone pinged in that area? Was Gannon's phone pinged in that area? Have searches been conducted in that area to pick up his scent showing that Gannon was actually there?

YES, YES, YES! OK, where did the hike occur? Did anyone in the area witness them hiking? Was Stepmom's phone pinged in that area? Was Gannon's phone pinged in that area? Have searches been conducted in that area to pick up his scent showing that Gannon was actually there?
I have *read* that there is a photo of said hike in GOTG. There is a man in the background of the photo. People were able to find him on SM and put him at GOTG the same day as GS. This link has some of that information, but I'm not 100 percent sure it's an okay link? I apologize if it's not? 11-year-old Gannon Stauch missing from Colorado Springs

Here's the real crux of the problem:
  • On Sunday, GS allegedly went on a hike with stepmom and (step?)sister.
  • On Monday, he didn't attend school.
  • On Monday afternoon, he allegedly left to go to "a friend's house." After having been home from school. Without a jacket or his cell phone.
LE says stepmom was the last person to have seen him.

I believe them.

I just don't believe the last time she saw him was on Monday afternoon b/t the hours of 3-4 pm.

JMO.
You have no need to feel lonely about this.

Hopefully it was GoG. The soil is different there, red and less rocky imo. Might be able to tell something from the bottom of their shoes???

Also, I lose service when I am in GoG park. Too touristy, but occasionally a nice drive. Rampart range road connects thru there. Lots of dead bodies found of Rampart Range rd. This is why I don’t travel it anymore. Not to mention, it is unpaved

Here’s the problem. The heavy.com article mentions the hike. Any references and pictures as to where the hike was are SM based. So there’s still not much to discuss other than the fact that 1 MSN source mentioned it.

Thank you such a detailed explanation! I appreciate it.

In your experience, does it make sense that they left his status as a runaway for almost 4 days, when his age/weather/clothing indicated that he was probably endangered?

IMO, although I'm definitely not a LEO, it would make sense they did that to keep the hypothetical POI in a "comfortable" position so they can get more info. Is that something that you would think they would do?
In my experience, the initial report will be left as is. This is all part of the documentary evidence. Can you imagine defense attorney’s jumping all over doctored reports? New incident reports are all assigned some type of number depending on the agency’s system. Supplementary reports will refer to the original report number with some type of suffix. For instance the original report number may be something like CS012720-6. The next supplementary reports might be CS012720-6a, CS012720-6b and so on. At some point the type of incident may be reclassified to a missing person and later (hopefully) to a recovered person. But by using the same report number, everything is kept together. Crimes are coded by type and reported nationally. This is how crime statistics are kept. As far as what it is called is actually less important to LE working the case than to msm and the public, (and sometimes insurance companies ). Technically, all runaways are missing persons until they are found. The age and circumstances are what elevates the ‘endangered’ status.

I also have a hard time believing he could successfully run away on his own.

However, what if he had help? He's a gamer and may have Roblox, Snapchat, Musically, tik tok, etc. Perhaps, he met someone online that started chatting with him and he started talking about his desire to run away. Maybe an adult with nefarious intentions saw this as an opportunity? I'm just trying to think outside the box and was reminded of the Savannah Pruitt case. Surely, LE is looking into all his online activity.

I'm having a hard time not focusing on SM so I thought I'd try to open my mind a bit.

I thought I read early on that a man in the neighborhood saw him Sunday morning, but now I don't know where that info came from so don't take it as verified. Would LE keep a sighting to themselves? I'm not sure why they would, but I guess that depends on which direction their evidence is going? It's hard to know, without knowing what we don't know, which sounds weird but I suspect you know what I mean.
Sunday morning would be before the hike.

Is that selfie floating around from the "hike"? I'd imagine it's time stamped on the step mothers cell phone. Reminds me of the Timmothy Pitzen case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ddph