Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, Lorson Ranch, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 *endangered* #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one knows what happened to Gannon. Until she knows, she doesn’t know. That’s a parent’s view. It’s a kind of betrayal of your child to agree they’re deceased when you haven’t seen a body, and there’s nothing pointing to the actual crime against them. Where is Gannon is what the parental brain keeps asking over and over.

Parents hold hope and knowing at the same time. I know bereaved parents who still can’t say what they call the “D” word even after the funeral and beyond. The shock and trauma is indescribable, and like being clocked between the eyes with a steel pipe, while being asked by society to accept what’s happening, since it makes sense to everyone else.
Child loss will never make sense to the parental heart and mind. Never.

I couldn’t bring myself to “Like” this but I wanted to acknowledge its truth.

Respectfully disagree. AFAIK, LE did in fact list him as a runaway and treat this as a runaway - and not just for one day. For several days. Heck, Albert doesn't get home until some time on Tuesday. What was LS doing Tuesday morning?

I think people truly overestimate police resources, on the ground. Why do you think they disbelieved her on days 1-4?
Law Enforcement officers/agents are highly trained and skilled at being able to discern if someone is being truthful. There are specific ways that they pose questions to watch body language and inconsistencies. MOO- LE was skeptical from the very moment they were asking SM questions...

I don't know. I keep missing posts and replies and my net is coming and going too, I have liked posts and the like disappears when I re-read them .. There's a break in a big case, Vallow so it's posible more people than usual are online.
It’s all very simple. Someone has been feeding mogwais after midnight.

i’m wondering outloud if this is the connecting feature. LS spoke of hiking and working out so i’ll go off the assumption that she is somewhat of a frequent hiker. could this area be familiar because of this trail system? could past cell phone gps data put LS on this trail prev to GS going missing?
That is a possibility if the person hikes that trail system. It's not as popular as other trail systems due to the location, too far north of Colorado Springs and too far south of Denver so mostly local county people use it.

You are referring to what LE said publicly.

LE is pretty good at what they do (usually). I certainly think they had personnel going in two directions early on, probably as soon as being steered towards the search on GS’s phone.

There is no way they could publicly discuss the second avenue.

Yes to this! When they first arrived at the house on Monday night and took TS's report and gathered details from her, any good (which these are) LE gets a vibe and feel for if a person is telling the truth and/or if there story makes sense. They would encourage her to keep talking and take info even if they thought something didn't seem right. Most likely there would've been at least 2 officers on that first visit. One would talk with LS and take down details to make an initial report while the other would most likely look around the house. They're trained to take in stuff & pick up on details that might go unnoticed by many. You don't think their radar went up when she said he was home sick and left to play with a friend but she had no idea who or where? Nope, they had at least some suspicion right from the start IMHO!

That is a possibility if the person hikes that trail system. It's not as popular as other trail systems due to the location, too far north of Colorado Springs and too far south of Denver so mostly local county people use it.

thank you! it’s helpful to know from a local whether there would be a draw to those outside of the local crowd such as a beautiful viewpoint or a challenging hill that really burns your buns.

im getting the impression that it’s more of a basic trail that people wouldn’t necessarily drive an hour to go hike.

No one knows what happened to Gannon. Until she knows, she doesn’t know. That’s a parent’s view. It’s a kind of betrayal of your child to agree they’re deceased when you haven’t seen a body, and there’s nothing pointing to the actual crime against them. Where is Gannon is what the parental brain keeps asking over and over.

Parents hold hope and knowing at the same time. I know bereaved parents who still can’t say what they call the “D” word even after the funeral and beyond. The shock and trauma is indescribable, and like being clocked between the eyes with a steel pipe, while being asked by society to accept what’s happening, since it makes sense to everyone else.
Child loss will never make sense to the parental heart and mind. Never.

So true, so compassionately said.

St
I have to agree with this. I think that in mid winter in CO you could find a wide open private area and drag a body to a middle of a field or open space and that body may not be found for months. There was little to no snow in the area on January 27th. If you thought you had covered your tracks, and you were miles, hours, from home, and you picked an unoccupied private area, what is the likelihood that someone would stumble upon this body?

I wouldn’t rule anything out, and here’s one good reason: Not to be morbid, but I had to bury a 100 lb golden retriever a few Januaries ago. It was cold, digging wasn’t easy, but I got it done in about an hour. I got about 3 feet of depth & was hitting hard shale, so 3’ had to do. When I covered her up the highest part of her was still a good 24” below surface. I’m a 43 yr old female that weighs about 110 lbs. Oh, and I live just east of Colorado Springs, so clay + sand + shale deposits were my soil comp. I’m just sharing that to point out that yes, it’s hard, but it’s not impossible to dig in Colorado soil in the winter.

St
I have to agree with this. I think that in mid winter in CO you could find a wide open private area and drag a body to a middle of a field or open space and that body may not be found for months. There was little to no snow in the area on January 27th. If you thought you had covered your tracks, and you were miles, hours, from home, and you picked an unoccupied private area, what is the likelihood that someone would stumble upon this body?

I wouldn’t rule anything out, and here’s one good reason: Not to be morbid, but I had to bury a 100 lb golden retriever a few Januaries ago. It was cold, digging wasn’t easy, but I got it done in about an hour. I got about 3 feet of depth & was hitting hard shale, so 3’ had to do. When I covered her up the highest part of her was still a good 24” below surface. I’m a 43 yr old female that weighs about 110 lbs. Oh, and I live just east of Colorado Springs, so clay + sand + shale deposits were my soil comp. I’m just sharing that to point out that yes, it’s hard, but it’s not impossible to dig in Colorado soil in the winter.

Law Enforcement officers/agents are highly trained and skilled at being able to discern if someone is being truthful. There are specific ways that they pose questions to watch body language and inconsistencies. MOO- LE was skeptical from the very moment they were asking SM questions...

I think that's true, but also think SM posts can make LE very apprehensive at engaging with the public. I'm not LE but have family that is, specifically homicide detectives. These days make it so hard to determine what's released or not. I feel like LE may have initially erred too cautiously here, and not come around to criminal investigation until it was too late. That's not to say their heart isn't all in it now, just that there are legit questions about the first few days and how likely they took GS being a runaway.

thank you! it’s helpful to know from a local whether there would be a draw to those outside of the local crowd such as a beautiful viewpoint or a challenging hill that really burns your buns.

im getting the impression that it’s more of a basic trail that people wouldn’t necessarily drive an hour to go hike.

No, I think LS knew this was pretty isolated. Only a very few cars would travel it and most likely there would be LONG periods of time where there would be no cars, especially that time of day with people at work & school. I'm thinking that she had to pull the truck off on the side of the road/on the dirt shoulder to do whatever she was doing. While she might have been off in the trees where no one could've actually seen her, I think it's quite possible after the neighbor's video of the red (very noticeable) truck ran on local stations, someone remembered they had passed by a red truck parked on the side of the road in that area. That & GPS info is what lead them there, MOO.

RSBM

Certainly plausible. I just can't wrap my head around SM having the physical strength to do much with 100 lbs. of dead weight. Moving a body in a suitcase with wheels.. a short distance yes, but not across a field and then burying him.

I want to address the weight listed for Gannon on the poster. My son and Gannon are the same age, same height, same build. My son weighs 64 lbs. Gannon is by no means chunky or extremely muscular. Given the fact that he was a micro preemie as well, I just don’t see him being a full 30 pounds heavier than my son given the rest of their similarities. He has to be closer to 60-70 lbs. I know this doesn’t seem like much, but I can easily lift my son. Morbid as it may sound, I don’t think moving that weight is as cumbersome as some may think (Even as dead weight).

If weight was provided by LS, I don’t have much trust that she even knew or cared what he weighed. Perhaps it came from a last appt with a dr, I don’t know.

Not even really a huge deal, except it would matter for dosing of medications, and for this purpose. And I could be completely wrong. JMO.

If that were true, way more cases (Casey Anthony? Kelsey? Shannan?) would have been solved much more quickly. In fact, there are good studies that show that LE is only slightly better than the average person at sussing out hidden truths, especially in a first call to a situation.

They may have been skeptical, but with 16 other children missing within a period of about 3 weeks, I doubt they decided to park someone outside of the Stauch residence 24/7.

Also, I seriously doubt that they tailed every single person who visited with or talked to LS during that first week.

20 years of teaching at a police academy has taught me a few things too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sshamrick2011