Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Emergency #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is VERY stunning news. A huge loss to their economy, which is already in financial trouble.
Watch what they do. Not what they say.
IMO, somebody powerful has called an alarm, backed up with evidence that has caused these governments to pay attention and take action.
my guess is President Trump.

Most likely the WHO is giving some countries a heads up.

Doesn't a pandemic, by definition, rely on widespread human to human transmission in two other countries? If so, South Korea, Italy and Iran are in the running to the other two countries.

The airlines are going to take a huge hit as well. The ramifications of this probably won't be seen for another quarter.

Of course they are, and that's why airports and air travel has not changed much. That's why countries are under-reporting, such as China, or non-reporting until there's a case from Iran in Canada. There's an economic concern side by side with the virus concern. Some people want everything to seem normal to preserve global economics (especially governments), and some people want all infected areas to be immediately quarantined like the plague.

God Bless, and Thank you. I have terrible fear for them.
I am hoping that the leaders in China realize that killing them may cause the Chinese people to arise.
I consider the millions of Chinese who have been on total lockdown, now ordered to get back to work, or, face jail.
For me. I am glad that my family does not live in China.
I hope that Westerners youths are paying attention to what really goes on in this world we share with other cultures.

I check for Chen Qiushi and Fang Bin everyday,
but haven't heard anything new.

California town pushes back against planned coronavirus | 2 hours ago

ETA: more information for reference:
Federal judge blocks effort to transfer coronavirus patients to California city

The plan was to move dozens of patients who tested positive for the coronavirus from Travis Air Force Base in Northern California to Costa Mesa.

Federal judge blocks effort to transfer coronavirus patients to California city

margarita25 said:
From the above link / BBM:

“U.S. District Judge Josephine Staton granted a temporary restraining order after the city of Costa Mesa filed a request for an injunction earlier in the day. Named as defendants were the Department of Health and Human Services, Department of Defense, U.S. Air Force, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the California Governor’s Office of Emergency Services and the California Department of General Services. ( :eek: )

An expedited hearing is scheduled Monday in Santa Ana, California.“

Last edited:
Italy has introduced "extraordinary measures" to tackle the spread of the biggest outbreak of the new coronavirus in Europe.

Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte announced the emergency plan late on Saturday as the number of cases rose to 79.

The measures were imposed after two Italian citizens were confirmed to have died from the virus.

A dozen towns in the northern regions of Lombardy and Veneto have been effectively quarantined under the plan.

Around 50,000 people from towns in two northern regions have been asked to stay at home by authorities.

Italy imposes lockdown in coronavirus hotspots

BBC News Source

Italy has introduced "extraordinary measures" to tackle the spread of the biggest outbreak of the new coronavirus in Europe.

Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte announced the emergency plan late on Saturday as the number of cases rose to 79.

The measures were imposed after two Italian citizens were confirmed to have died from the virus.

A dozen towns in the northern regions of Lombardy and Veneto have been effectively quarantined under the plan.

Around 50,000 people from towns in two northern regions have been asked to stay at home by authorities.

Italy imposes lockdown in coronavirus hotspots

BBC News Source

That's scary. That's what China did - extraordinary measures. Presumably these same people in Italy had a normal life yesterday.

Staying home presumably means that food and services will be home-delivered until there are confirmed cases, testing will be often, and confirmed cases will be removed to isolation areas in hospitals?

Imagine in two days that happens where you live - normal, and then forbidden to leave home.

I would really like to see a simulation of the spread so far wth an open speculation about what next, but haven't found anything like that yet.

Because it is an unknown equation. Even a modest model, could set off major alarms.

My personal belief, is that while our government is not ignoring the situation, they are externally not making a big deal over the virus, but internally, things are really ramping up. They are getting prepared for a worse case scenario, while not saying much.

Because it is an unknown equation. Even a modest model, could set off major alarms.

My personal belief, is that while our government is not ignoring the situation, they are externally not making a big deal over the virus, but internally, things are really ramping up. They are getting prepared for a worse case scenario, while not saying much.

A predictive simulation would certainly set off alarms, but there's nothing wrong with a simulation about existing spread of the virus. I doubt anyone could have predicted that Italy would be a hot spot as virulent as South Korea.

Best scenario for countries without national health care is for the government to announce that everyone who might have the virus should report, no charges for any virus related care now or in the future.

Trying to visualize ....

Perhaps a virus-spread simulation with low number transmission in, say, green lines that turned yellow as the numbers increased, would lead people to think that a pandemic is likely. I bet the WHO has a simulation that they do not share because they want to avoid panic.

What would that look like. It would be a start point in Wuhan with green lines to neighboring provinces. Those lines would slowly turn yellow and green lines would form to neighboring countries, like Thailand, South Korea, Japan, Hong Kong, Australia. Green lines would form from there to the Middle East, Europe, Africa, South and North America. Some lines to nearby countries would turn red, some lines to countries like Italy and Iran would turn yellow.

SHANGHAI/SEOUL (Reuters) - China reported another fall in the new coronavirus infections outside of its epicenter on Sunday, but world health officials warned it was too early to make predictions about the outbreak as new infections and fears of contagion increased elsewhere.

China's health commission confirmed 648 new infections on Sunday - higher than a day earlier - but only 18 were outside of Hubei province, the lowest number outside of the epicenter since authorities started publishing data a month ago.

But new infections outside of China continued to worry world health authorities, with South Korea on Sunday reporting a fourth death due to the virus and 123 new cases, bringing its total to 556, having doubled from Friday to Saturday.

China reports fewer coronavirus cases outside epicenter, cases surge in South Korea

Reuter’s News Agency Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member