Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Emergency #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
People need to pay attention. The LAST thing any country wants to do is shut down income generating events!
There is a reason all of these countries are doing this. BTW. It's not due to a flu!

Seeing some confusion on whether its the cities or the provinces.
They left it open to add locations.
I'm looking for second source too.

For those who may be interested in what the day to day experience is like for Chinese citizens who are in the quarantine facilities ("cabin hospitals") that are set up in sports arenas and convention centers, here is a link to a diary with many pictures-- interesting even if one doesn't read mandarin. Pics of the food rations, medical stations, bunk/ toiletries issued to each admission, outside porta potties with many handwashing sinks, but apparently no showering/ bathing facilities. Etc. I think these facilities are also pretty chilly-- every single person is bundled up.

It's also pretty apparent in the pics that there is fondness and camaraderie between residents and the staff. I marvel at how tolerant the people are for these spartan conditions, but the Chinese people are stoic and resourceful, finding ways to endure situations that would be intolerable for many westerners.

确诊患者日记 | 在我宣布已战胜新冠病毒,嘚瑟了几天后。啪~脸真疼!

I have a friend in Beijing, and we use wechat. She is tending 2 elderly family members, and declined the opportunity to fly back to the U.S. in early January. As of yesterday, it has been 18 days since she left the apartment-- by her own choice. She is careful what to share on wechat so as not to attract attention of the censors, and is artificially upbeat in her anecdotes to camouflage info. Until end of January she was able to get to a hotel to use her VPN every few days, but her VPN became unusable end of January.

Thanks dixiegirl1035

This was the kind of information I was looking for, but right now it's 11 days old..

The ≥80 age group had the highest case fatality rate of all age groups at 14.8%. Case fatality rate for males was 2.8% and for females was 1.7%. By occupation, patients who reported being retirees had the highest case fatality rate at 5.1%, and patients in Hubei Province had a >7-fold higher case fatality rate at 2.9% compared to patients in other provinces (0.4%). While patients who reported no comorbid conditions had a case fatality rate of 0.9%, patients with comorbid conditions had much higher rates—10.5% for those with cardiovascular disease, 7.3% for diabetes, 6.3% for chronic respiratory disease, 6.0% for hypertension, and 5.6% for cancer. Case fatality rate was also very high for cases categorized as critical at 49.0%.

The anectodal information from Italy and Iran confirm that very concering mortality is occuring in the 70-80+ age range.

Being a male diabetic in an older age range is worrisome for David Abel

Last edited:
They can fly directly to Mexico from China without a Visa. That is why it is a huge problem, that very few people acknowledge.

The same thing is happening on the Northern border. I highlighted this, because stopping air travel from China to the United States doesn't mean that it necessarily halts the possibility of the virus spread.

This is what I am trying to say about our land borders.

For those who may be interested in what the day to day experience is like for Chinese citizens who are in the quarantine facilities ("cabin hospitals") that are set up in sports arenas and convention centers, here is a link to a diary with many pictures-- interesting even if one doesn't read mandarin. Pics of the food rations, medical stations, bunk/ toiletries issued to each admission, outside porta potties with many handwashing sinks, but apparently no showering/ bathing facilities. Etc. I think these facilities are also pretty chilly-- every single person is bundled up.

It's also pretty apparent in the pics that there is fondness and camaraderie between residents and the staff. I marvel at how tolerant the people are for these spartan conditions, but the Chinese people are stoic and resourceful, finding ways to endure situations that would be intolerable for many westerners.

确诊患者日记 | 在我宣布已战胜新冠病毒,嘚瑟了几天后。啪~脸真疼!

I have a friend in Beijing, and we use wechat. She is tending 2 elderly family members, and declined the opportunity to fly back to the U.S. in early January. As of yesterday, it has been 18 days since she left the apartment-- by her own choice. She is careful what to share on wechat so as not to attract attention of the censors, and is artificially upbeat in her anecdotes to camouflage info. Until end of January she was able to get to a hotel to use her VPN every few days, but her VPN became unusable end of January.

It looks like healthy people are in the room with infected people, but standing back and wearing face masks. To date, it sounds like face masks are good to prevent sick people from transmitting, but not so good to prevent healthy people from becoming ill.

Hopefully common sense trumps religion, although some with common sense may think that religion will be the armor they need for the virus.

There are regularly hundreds to thousands of deaths during Ramadan. 2015 was an especially bad year, with the stampede and the crane collapse-- about 2500 killed. They are not prepared at all for disease outbreak in close conditions, IMO, and it's extremely unlikely that KSA authorities will encourage pilgrims not to travel. I think about 2.5 million typically attend.

A Covid-19 outbreak during hajj would be catastrophic because so many pilgrims are flying in and out to all corners of the world. 14,000 domestic and international flights. Sobering.

2015 Mina stampede - Wikipedia
Mecca crane collapse - Wikipedia
The hajj by the numbers | DW | 19.08.2018

I think tough luck. That's what China did - gave everyone time to travel to other cities, other countries and Hong Kong. Now Hong Kong is in trouble.

Hong Kong residents were angry that the government took so long to close the border. Closing the border after people in an infected area have had a chance to travel defeats the purpose of closing the border.
IMO that's harsh. To never let our citizens back into their country until who knows how long is going back to the black plague, or salem witch trials or any of the barbaric acts of our ancestors. Surely there is a middle place, where people can return home. Are we going to start throwing rocks such as the recent news in Ukraine?

MOO, only MOO

Hundreds of Israelis contact coronavirus hotline as fears of epidemic rise

The Magen David Adom rescue service said Saturday night it had received hundreds of inquiries within hours of opening a hotline for those that fear they have contracted the deadly novel Coronavirus.

It said specially trained paramedics were being dispatched to peoples’ homes to collect samples and test for the virus, or in some cases, to evacuate patients under special isolation conditions.

For those inclined to "prepping", I'd also recommend a stash of cash in smaller bills ($5s, 10s, and 20s.) As much as one can comfortably put aside. One of the things we know from hurricanes, tornadoes, and similar disasters is that cash machines quickly become empty even if the power stays on, and are not quickly refilled. If power is off, or connections spotty, cash is usually still accepted for things like groceries, if stores are still open.

There are regularly hundreds to thousands of deaths during Ramadan. 2015 was an especially bad year, with the stampede and the crane collapse-- about 2500 killed. They are not prepared at all for disease outbreak in close conditions, IMO, and it's extremely unlikely that KSA authorities will encourage pilgrims not to travel. I think about 2.5 million typically attend.

A Covid-19 outbreak during hajj would be catastrophic because so many pilgrims are flying in and out to all corners of the world. 14,000 domestic and international flights. Sobering.

2015 Mina stampede - Wikipedia
Mecca crane collapse - Wikipedia
The hajj by the numbers | DW | 19.08.2018

When the coronavirus was first detected in Wuhan, the government wanted to quell fears so they hosted an enormous group dinner to celebrate the new year. Big mistake.

It is VERY stunning news. A huge loss to their economy, which is already in financial trouble.
Watch what they do. Not what they say.
IMO, somebody powerful has called an alarm, backed up with evidence that has caused these governments to pay attention and take action.
my guess is President Trump.

This is pretty stunning news: So tourists won't be able to visit Milan, Padua, Venice, for example ?

( And let's not forget all the huge Cruise Ships that visit Venice- Yipes)

I'm not yet able to find independent confirmation of this news outside of the BNO Twitter

IMO that's harsh. To never let our citizens back into their country until who knows how long is going back to the black plague, or salem witch trials or any of the barbaric acts of our ancestors. Surely there is a middle place, where people can return home. Are we going to start throwing rocks such as the recent news in Ukraine?

MOO, only MOO

It sounds harsh, but if Hong Kong had closed their borders when mainland China gave citizens a chance to go to Hong Kong - where they could easily fly to other parts of the world, Hong Kong would probably not be in the situation it is today. Maybe Iran could have been avoided, maybe Italy, France and other parts of the world where wealthy people from mainland China can easily travel.

It is VERY stunning news. A huge loss to their economy, which is already in financial trouble.
Watch what they do. Not what they say.
IMO, somebody powerful has called an alarm, backed up with evidence that has caused these governments to pay attention and take action.
my guess is President Trump.

The airlines are going to take a huge hit as well. The ramifications of this probably won't be seen for another quarter.

For those inclined to "prepping", I'd also recommend a stash of cash in smaller bills ($5s, 10s, and 20s.) As much as one can comfortably put aside. One of the things we know from hurricanes, tornadoes, and similar disasters is that cash machines quickly become empty even if the power stays on, and are not quickly refilled. If power is off, or connections spotty, cash is usually still accepted for things like groceries, if stores are still open.

I read that too somewhere, that when electronics fail, bank machines fail and the only thing that works is money and gold. Gold prices are at a many-year high right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member