Deceased/Not Found CA - 1st Lt. Matthew Kraft, adult, didn't return from skiing trip, Kearsarge Pass, 23 Feb 2019

Marine missing in California mountains is presumed dead

Authorities say a Marine who went missing in California's Sierra Nevada more than a month ago probably has died.

The Orange County Register says the Marine Corps concluded Thursday that First Lt. Matthew Kraft probably was overcome by severe weather during winter storms.

[...]

Authorities say a Marine who went missing in California's Sierra Nevada more than a month ago probably has died.

The Orange County Register says the Marine Corps concluded Thursday that First Lt. Matthew Kraft probably was overcome by severe weather during winter storms.

[...]
It doesn't seem like it's been more than a month already. Terribly sad, and hope Matthew is recovered for his family's sake. Thank you for your service, First Lt. Kraft.

[...]
What other conclusion could be made. He has not self-rescued and it's been since late February. Extreme weather, avalanches, a very long trek...the odds were so stacked against him.. Even though expected, it's sad.

"For five months Greg Kraft, his wife Roxanne and other family members have been waiting and hoping that Matthew's body would be found.

Now, with most of the snow melted and the granite rocks exposed along the remote sub-alpine terrain, they are hopeful that a renewed search might put an end to their wait.

Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks officials have handed out fliers to hikers along the Sierra High Route identifying items Kraft might have had on the hike -- an Otter iPhone case, Oakley sunglasses and a Katadyn water filtration system.

"I'd hope for boots on the ground, starting from the point of origin and then following the route," said Greg Kraft. "I don't want to put anyone in danger and I've been told most of it is rock. I would love for a team to start walking the path."

Officials believe his son is most likely somewhere in the Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks, Greg Kraft said."

Family of Marine Missing Since February Wants to Resume Search

"For five months Greg Kraft, his wife Roxanne and other family members have been waiting and hoping that Matthew's body would be found.

Now, with most of the snow melted and the granite rocks exposed along the remote sub-alpine terrain, they are hopeful that a renewed search might put an end to their wait.

Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks officials have handed out fliers to hikers along the Sierra High Route identifying items Kraft might have had on the hike -- an Otter iPhone case, Oakley sunglasses and a Katadyn water filtration system.

"I'd hope for boots on the ground, starting from the point of origin and then following the route," said Greg Kraft. "I don't want to put anyone in danger and I've been told most of it is rock. I would love for a team to start walking the path."

Officials believe his son is most likely somewhere in the Sequoia & Kings Canyon National Parks, Greg Kraft said."

Family of Marine Missing Since February Wants to Resume Search
I shared this with the PCT Class of 2019 FB page. Many of them flipped this year due to the above normal snowpack and are just now doing the High Sierra part of the trail. Hopefully someone finds him or his gear to return him to his family.

I was just thinking of Matthew and appreciate the new article. I hope for his parents' and loved ones sake, he can be found now. Bump!!
I thought he would be found after the snow melted. The two missing young men on Longs Peak were found in late spring /early summer, so I confess, I expected the same in Matthew's case. Still hopeful for his recovery.

I thought he would be found after the snow melted. The two missing young men on Longs Peak were found in late spring /early summer, so I confess, I expected the same in Matthew's case. Still hopeful for his recovery.
I thought so, too, zecats. It's been disheartening that there's been little to no news thus far. Can't imagine his family's pain :(

Hi everybody, I just joined. I read this thread from start to end, started to wonder about the Sierra High Route, it's about 200 miles from Sequoia to Bridgeport and additionally about another 20 from Onion Valley Road. I found a video on youtube: Sachin Sawant, Matt Fox, and Aaron Johnson skied the route starting in Sequoia in April of 2019 (it was a big snow year). The video really captures the difficulty and the deep wilderness, and the stark beauty of the Sierra.

Last edited:
Hi everybody, I just joined. I read this thread from start to end, started to wonder about the Sierra High Route, it's about 200 miles from Sequoia to Bridgeport and additionally about another 20 from Onion Valley Road. I found a video on youtube: Sachin Sawant, Matt Fox, and Aaron Johnson skied the route starting in Sequoia in April of 2019 (it was a big snow year). The video really captures the difficulty and the deep wilderness, and the stark beauty of the Sierra.

Welcome! Thank you for the informative video.

Incredible video, thanks!

Some climbers recently found remains but Matthew has reportedly been ruled out (BBM):

Because the body was so decomposed, investigators believe it’s possibly been there for decades.

They have ruled out that it’s 1st Lt. Matthew Kraft, a Marine from Connecticut who vanished in February during a nearly 200-mile (320-kilometer) ski trek through the Sierra.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...6ec632-f075-11e9-bb7e-d2026ee0c199_story.html

UID Thread: CA - CA - Skeletal Remains Buried w/Leather Belt/Shoes, Btw Mt Tyndall & Mt Williamson, 7 Oct 2019

This may have already been asked, but after reading through the threads on both Matthews I'm wondering if the snowpack ever totally melts?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackparsley
Back