Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
This and the whole Hawaii thing where they are simply not submitting tests? What the he!! is going on?

ikr

If they dont test then they dont have any confirmed cases. Problem solved---NOT

I think we have seen this happen in some other places overseas. Some initially were not tested due to not having test kits available and then in other places it seemed IMO there was a purposeful not testing campaign at least initially.

What are the symptoms of coronavirus?

The novel coronavirus, a cousin of the SARS virus, has symptoms that include a runny nose, cough, sore throat, possibly a headache and maybe a fever, which can last for a couple of days.

For those with a weakened immune system, the elderly and the very young, there's a chance the virus could cause a lower, and much more serious, respiratory tract illness like a pneumonia or bronchitis.

e254ed4c-40ce-44c8-89ff-2e7f31fd9e4b.png

Live coronavirus news and updates: Coronavirus fears spread across the world - CNN

Gov. Tim Walz said Minnesota is prepared to deal with COVID-19 if the virus ends up spreading into the state. He said he's been getting daily briefings from health officials on the state's readiness to combat the spread of the virus.

Minnesota has no confirmed cases of the virus. The state currently has one person being tested for the virus and three other tests have come back negative.

Cheryl Petersen-Kroeber, director of preparedness and response with the Minnesota Department of Health, said people should make sure to have enough food, prescription drugs and cleaning supplies in their house in case they need to stay home for a couple of weeks. She also suggests checking out Ready.gov for tools people can use for emergency situations.

Petersen-Kroeber said while some have wondered if all this talk about the virus is spreading more fear than necessary, the key is preparation.

"I feel like we're not fear-mongering, we're empowering them to take actions and steps that should this come to the point of community transmission, they will be better positioned to care for themselves and their families," she said.

Walz, health officials: Minnesota ready to fight virus but people should brace for outbreak

Before a Pandemic
  • Store a two week supply of water and food.
  • Periodically check your regular prescription drugs to ensure a continuous supply in your home.
  • Have any nonprescription drugs and other health supplies on hand, including pain relievers, stomach remedies, cough and cold medicines, fluids with electrolytes, and vitamins.
  • Get copies and maintain electronic versions of health records from doctors, hospitals, pharmacies and other sources and store them, for personal reference. Get help accessing electronic health records.
  • Talk with family members and loved ones about how they would be cared for if they got sick, or what will be needed to care for them in your home.
During a Pandemic
Limit the Spread of Germs and Prevent Infection
  • Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
  • When you are sick, keep your distance from others to protect them from getting sick too.
  • Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing. It may prevent those around you from getting sick.
  • Washing your hands often will help protect you from germs.
  • Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
  • Practice other good health habits. Get plenty of sleep, be physically active, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids, and eat nutritious food.

First case of coronavirus confirmed in North Macedonia

"The patient tested positive for coronavirus... She is the first patient in North Macedonia to have tested positive for this pathogen," Health Minister Venko Filipce said.

The woman, who sought medical help early on Wednesday, drove to North Macedonia from Italy in a van. All other passengers from the van are undergoing tests,

Coronavirus spreads in Middle East and beyond: Live updates

6-Day Golden Week Korea & Japan Getaway
Roundtrip from Tokyo (Yokohama), Japan
4 Ports: Tokyo (Yokohama), Japan | Busan, South Korea | Kanmon Straits, Japan | Osaka (for Kyoto), Japan | Toba, Japan | Tokyo (Yokohama), Japan
Interior from$ 1,422*
Guests 3 & 4: $819

Wed, Apr 29, 2020 on Diamond Princess

https://www.princess.com/cruise-search/results?ship=DI (sort by date)
My parents were on a 3 month cruise through Asia (spending my inheritance! LOL) from Sept-Dec. Their itinerary included multiple stops in China, Japan, Hong Kong, Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, and Indonesia. We have said *repeatedly* how lucky they got with the timing of their trip. Things could have been VERY bad for them.

This is the quandry for clinical trials. If you enter, you may be getting a placebo. That is a chitty decision to have to make MOO, yet is the what is needed for clinical trials. Wuhan has already said many are refusing... as they perhaps don't want plecebo and die. Gawd awful, but it is what it is. SMDH.

"8:47 am: US plans trial of Gilead drug remdesivir
The U.S. is planning a clinical trial of Gilead’s experimental drug for the novel coronavirus, according to a posting on a government clinical trials database. The trial, run by the University of Nebraska Medical Center along with the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, will be conducted at up to 50 sites globally and will test the medicine, called remdesivir, against placebo, according to the protocol, which was posted Friday. —Tirrell

In one of Dr John Campbell's videos from about 2 weeks ago, he talked about trials of remdesivir and said that the trial patients would be the milder to middling cases. I presume that would mean that more severe/higher risk patients could still get it on compassionate grounds.

But they do need to know if it really makes a difference in helping the body combat the virus. They can't just assume one way or another, so the testing has to be done.

No sense hunkering down for a few months or a semester in a foreign country using foreign resources. They are better off coming back on US soil to quarantine in self-isolation for 2 weeks, then the students can continue their studies here.

They are US citizens who do not, at this time, have the virus so as of now for all we know, they won't be spreading the disease here. We can't close our borders to our own citizens who are not affected by the virus.

What worries me about this is that we don't seem to really know the incubation time. I think 14 days was just taken as a guess, perhaps because it's considered a prudent isolation time for flu or for other coronaviruses. But we keep seeing reports of people developing symptoms more than 14 days after exposure.

Plus there's the situation where people are eventually testing positive after multiple negative tests...

Dozens of passengers allowed off the Diamond Princess cruise ship after testing negative for coronavirus ARE now showing symptoms

Officials said they contacted 813 former passengers of the vessel who had previously tested negative for the virus, and found 45 are now showing symptoms.

All of those with symptoms have been asked to contact doctors and take new tests to check whether they are also infected.

45 passengers allowed off the Diamond Princess ship now show symptoms of coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

Like this...

NOW: 14 new cases confirmed in the Diamond Princess cruise ship, raising the total to 705 cases inside the ship Tracking coronavirus: Map, data and timeline

BNO Newsroom on Twitter

I wonder if this is from among the crew -- aren't they the only ones still on the ship, doing a separate quarantine period?

And at what point will those from gregjrichards' post above, negative test, released but now showing symptoms, be added to the count? (hopefully most of them have regular flu instead, but presuming at least some of them have CV)

I didn't go out today. My city is still in the clear as of now. I did check out the live cam for the Piazza and was surprised to see many out still celebrating the carnivale. We are very lucky to not have any cases since we are not to far away from the main areas. I did read all about the precaution that the city has going on. Tents up and areas to quarantine if needed. I have to walk to the stores so I do bring home a little bit extra but tonight my husband brought home extra pasta and rice packages. I feel like I have 2 weeks of meals. It quite sad to see Italy have gone up in numbers again.

I have no idea if the video alleging to be people in an Italian supermarket, panic shopping due to Covid-19 lockdown was genuine or not (I am suspicious as I didn't see one person wearing a mask, yet photos from tourist sites show some people wearing masks?). But if it was genuine, I thought it was ridiculous to have people crowding at the checkout counters like that.

Yes he is. Yesterday he said that God will protect Iran from the virus. So, carry on as usual. Crazy.

This guy is crazy....

Iran holds off on quarantining as questions raised over number of reported cases
From CNN's Hira Humayun and Mostafa Salem
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said Wednesday that the government will not impose quarantines on Iranian cities to contain the coronavirus outbreak in the country, state news agency IRNA reports.

Iran has the worst outbreak of the coronavirus in the Middle East, with 19 deaths and 139 cases recorded. In other parts of the world, the virus has had a death rate of around 1-2%, raising speculation over whether the number of cases in Iran might have been grossly underreported or if thousands of cases have possibly gone undetected.

Many cases in the Middle East appear to be linked to the Iranian province of Qom, where there are several religious sites frequently visited by Iranians and foreign tourists.

All cases reported in Bahrain, Kuwait, Iraq and the United Arab Emirates have a link to Qom.

In his comments on the virus, Rouhani criticized the United States, saying that the virus “should not become a weapon at the hand of our enemies,” the semi-official Mehrs news agency reported.

“Americans and our enemies have wanted to halt our production and economic activities in this two-year period now with their sanctions and propaganda.”

He said Iran cannot allow the US to stop the country’s social activities through the fear of the virus, adding, “Americans better take care of thousands of flu casualties in their own country,” according to Mehr.

Coronavirus spreads to Europe as France reports death of first national: Live updates

So its not the CDC to blame for the lack of testing but rather states and even more so localities? And they have all just decided to stick their heads in the sand?

What's up with the Korean Airlines attendant who came down with it and spent the night in LA? No one testing anybody after that?

The US is closely monitoring pharmaceuticals made in China, health secretary says

DHHS Secretary Alex Azar said the FDA is closely monitoring pharmaceuticals made in China during the coronavirus outbreak.

“The latest fruits of that work show that there are 20 pharmaceutical products we are aware of to date at FDA where either the entire product is made in China, or there is a critical active ingredient that is solely sourced within China, so those would be, obviously, the most targeted to be concerned about," he said.

Azar added, “I'm told there are two manufacturers in Hubei province of pharmaceuticals, but fortunately the manufacturer has a large, large stockpile of supply of advanced production there, but we have to be very alert to this and we have to be candid that there could be disruptions in supplies.”

Live coronavirus news and updates: Coronavirus fears spread across the world - CNN

He is talking about potential supply shortages, correct?

When he mentions Hubei province, I immediately think of possible contamination...

FOMITES

I have no idea if the video alleging to be people in an Italian supermarket, panic shopping due to Covid-19 lockdown was genuine or not (I am suspicious as I didn't see one person wearing a mask, yet photos from tourist sites show some people wearing masks?). But if it was genuine, I thought it was ridiculous to have people crowding at the checkout counters like that.

I have not seen anyone wearing masks in my area. I'm sure the infected areas maybe are. I saw a lot of people at airports wearing them. I'm sure the lines are probably real. They probably only have 1 register open

Ok before this happened like last year. Grocery stores actually had to put up signs asking people to line up instead of the cutting in where ever. You practically hug people in other shopping stores to make sure no one jumps in front of you.

And WTH does THAT mean?????

Do I need to get an isolation tent and put it in my back yard?
Should I rush out to buy a burial plot?
Should I have a prophylactic appendectomy so I don't have to risk running to an ER crowded with dying patient's if I develop appendicitis?

One thing it means is to consider how you'd isolate a person in your own home who comes down with possible symptoms...could you move one kid from a shared room for a couple of weeks?

And make plans in case schools get closed down for 2 weeks.

Over here in the UK, if you're waiting for elective surgery on the 20-week waiting list, you might want to consider that as long as your condition remains stable, that by the time you're up to the top of the list, Covid-19 might be filling up hospitals and lead to a delay in your surgery. Nothing you can do about that other than be aware of the possibility.

Practice the not touching your face thing, and teach your family members the same thing. Make a new house rule to put the toilet lid down before flushing....I can't believe how many people leave the lid up all the time for ease of use! Good thing I don't have a bloke in the house, cos I wouldn't just be whining about him leaving the seat up but the lid!

And, preferably without panic buying, try and make sure your cupboards are well stocked.

Also consider work and talk to your boss/manager about the Covid-19 and impress upon them how important it is for them to have plans in place *yesterday* for workplace mitigation strategies including staff members needing time off to look after children whose schools are closed, staff members needing time off to look after elderly parents who are sick, staff members potentially coming down with this and needing time off, how to help reduce staff/customers passing it on in the workplace? Staggering start/leave times for work is something I've heard about as a suggestion to try and reduce spread, and if a lot of workers come in by public transport that would be a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deluhg01