Coronavirus COVID-19 *Global Health Emergency* #6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finland reports second case

A second confirmed coronavirus case has been diagnosed in Finland.

The female Finnish patient had recently visited Milan in Italy. She is being treated at the Helsinki University Hospital. The woman had a fever but was reported to be doing well and had only been in contact with two other people since arriving back in Finland on the
weekend.

Coronavirus spreads in Middle East and beyond: Live updates

Went mask shopping this morning. None to be found at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.... Found and bought 3M N95 masks at a Sherwin Williams Paint store. Thank you to whoever posted this mask shopping tip earlier in this thread.......moo
A few days ago on this thread someone posted a link to which models of n95 are better for viruses. I've been searching back but can't find it. Does anyone remember who posted it or where I can find that link? TIA
I’ve seen varying opinions on the N95 mask on here, some say the paint stores/Lowes/HD are not the correct ones, etc? Thoughts?
From what I have gleaned reading about masks, N95 means it’s not oil proof (N) and will trap 95% of particulates. NIOSH approved N95 meets CDC guidelines for M tuberculosis exposure.

P100 cartridges are oil proof (P) and trap 99.97% of particulates. (Maybe 99.95%, working from memory). Caveat on those is they have to be properly fitted and they are no fun to wear, worse than masks.
Viable viral efficiency of N95 and P100 respirator filters at constant and cyclic flow. - PubMed - NCBI

They make specialty health care n95 masks that meet different splash and splatter and bacterial resistance. They meet ASTM F2101 Good luck finding those.
3M™ Aura™ Health Care Particulate Respirator and Surgical Mask 1870+, N95 120 EA/Case | 3M United States

CDC - NPPTL - NIOSH-Approved Particulate Filtering Facepiece Respirators

Correct, there are different types. Those for "viruses/bacteri" will have claims and NIOSH on label MOO. This is an example... see label.

Did it have a front labeled that look like this, where it said it is effective against TB Etc.

604432881.jpg

Last edited:
Experts are concerned that Iran may be underreporting cases and deaths, given its rapid spread from Iran across the Persian Gulf. Ahmad Amirabadi Farahani, a hard-line lawmaker has alleged there have been 50 deaths in Qom alone, which the government denies.

Figures released Wednesday still showed no cases confirmed in the Iranian city of Mashhad, even though a number of cases reported in Kuwait are linked to there.

Iran's Cyber Police reported that 24 people were arrested and 118 other were warned about “spreading rumors" on the internet about the virus.

https://www.islandpacket.com/news/business/article240647787.html

Last edited:
A week ago, I predicted that the US would have a problem by mid April. I am amending that prediction to mid March.

I would like to see the actual data on the ages of the affected, and the death ages. We are not getting the data, INMO, because it is probably pretty upsetting.

There is the study that Otto's posted several times for earlier on in China. The thing is that it takes time to collect and collate that kind of data, so it's always going to be running behind.

So far, from what I'm reading in the press stories, it's consistent with the China data with mostly those 60+ who are higher risk for more severe cases, but that doesn't mean anyone is guaranteed to not have a severe case, nor that those over 60 are all going to die of it, even if it does progress to pneumonia in them.

We can see the deaths in Italy seem to be mostly in the 70-90 age group. IMHO we need to do as much as possible to protect the higher risk groups. I don't know how you broach it with people, especially given Dixiegirl's earlier story, but talking to family and friends about how we're concerned about the spread and for people around us to have better habits for themselves and out and about as a community service, now seems to be a good time to try and have those discussions.

Walt Disney World Cast Members Asked to Stay Home After Trip to Italy Due to Coronavirus Outbreak Concerns

Despite
Shanghai Disney Resort and Hong Kong Disneyland being closed indefinitely, all Disney Parks outside of China remain open.

However, precautions are being taken to avoid further spread of the virus.

At Tokyo Disney Resort, they’ve outright asked guests who are sick to refrain from visiting the parks and resorts.

Now, a group of Cast Members who work at Walt Disney World have been asked to stay home after a trip to Italy. A Walt Disney World spokesperson confirmed that a small number of individuals who work at Disney, but are not all Disney employees, have been asked to stay home due to coronavirus concerns.

Disney said the decision to keep the workers at home was made from “an abundance of caution.” The exact number of workers involved was not immediately available. At this time, there are no confirmed or suspected cases of coronavirus at Walt Disney World.

Georgia reports first coronavirus in the country: health minister

Georgia reported the first case of coronavirus in the country.

Ekaterine Tikaradze said that a Georgian citizen, who was travelling from Iran, crossed the border from neighbouring Azerbaijan.

Coronavirus spreads in Middle East and beyond: Live updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members