Press conference regarding previously undisclosed evidence scheduled for a January 16th at 1 p.m.

Does anyone recall the details of the ligature being found ? I remember it was a leak and LE plugged it pretty quickly, but I can't recall if that happened when the GB4 were discovered, or after some of the later victims were discovered. For some reason, I've always thought it might have been Melissa...but it's been so long now, I don't know why I made that assumption.

(Great, I guess I'm going to have to go back through years of threads, now.)

Last edited:
I'm going on the assumption that this belt was the ligature found still attached to one of the victims. If that's the case, it doesn't seem likely to me that LISK would use a belt with his initials embossed on it and then leave it behind on the victim. I don't know who the belt belongs to, but I'd bet my bottom dollar it didn't belong to him. JMO

Agreed - can't imagine why the cops think it is LISKs. Doesn't make any sense.... Have I missed something? Have they ever given any explanation as to why they believe it is his? Surely that would help us... Unless it's a reason that would bugger up the investigation... But what could that be?! Driving me mad ha ha

Agreed - can't imagine why the cops think it is LISKs. Doesn't make any sense.... Have I missed something? Have they ever given any explanation as to why they believe it is his? Surely that would help us... Unless it's a reason that would bugger up the investigation... But what could that be?! Driving me mad ha ha

The detectives never said the belt was LISK's, they said the belt was handled by him, & the belt didn't belong to any of the victims.

I don't think they have much to go on in this case. LISK was very lucky through out his endeavors.

The detectives never said the belt was LISK's, they said the belt was handled by him, & the belt didn't belong to any of the victims.

I don't think they have much to go on in this case. LISK was very lucky through out his endeavors.

I agree with you that LE never stated that the belt belonged to LISK, but there is absolutely no way for LE to say this item didn't belong to a victim of LISK. We have remains, and partial remains, that we can't even put a name to yet...and who knows how many other victim's remains have never been recovered ?

This belt could belong to anyone, imo , but I'd almost bet my farm that it either belonged to a victim or someone connected to one of LISK's victims.

The Crockpot - Case Related

(see post #22)

Newsday article from April 2011 says "item" was found around one of the victim's necks (one of original GB4). Not sure if there were any reports/leaks later re: who the item was found on, though?

I am convinced that it was Melissa. But so much time has passed, I can't recall why I am convinced of that. I can say, however, that I wouldn't have gone with just a gut feeling on something that important. Something fairly concrete would have had to have lead me to that conclusion.

I honestly doubt the letters on the belt are the killer's initials, unless he is taunting the police or something. I do not know anyone who wears their own initials around his or her waist. I also doubt it is the murder weapon, and that he just left it there. If so, it surely is a red herring.

Guys just to give you shout out - Mannorville Jane Doe (one of the Long Island unidentified victims) has just been Identified by this team and their use of forensic genealogy. Yep, case is definitely progressing.

===
lisk_unidentified_female-696x365.jpg

Police and the FBI have positively identified the woman known as Manorville Jane Doe, also referred to as Jane Doe No. 6. Her mutilated torso was found in Manorville in 2000 and her skull was found off Ocean Parkway in 2011.

“The department announced the utilization of DNA techniques earlier this year in our ongoing effort to advance the investigation,” the department said in a statement. “Using this technology, the department has successfully identified Manorville Jane Doe.”

The department said it will release the identity on its new website, gilgonews.com in the near future.

According to Suffolk County police reports, Jane Doe No. 6 was discovered nude on November 19, 2000 at 11 a.m. by hunters in the woods. She is believed to have been left there in September of 2000. She is described as 18 to 35 years old, 5’2”, caucasian, possibly with brown hair.

The body had been cut into pieces and left in multiple plastic bags. The woman’s head, hands and leg were also reportedly in a plastic bag when police found them on April 4, 2011 on Ocean Parkway. Police released a sketch of her in September of 2011.

Suffolk Police ID Another Long Island Serial Killer Victim

Police Identify Another Gilgo Beach Victim, Known Until Now as ‘Jane Doe #6’

Gilgo Beach victim identified after decomposing remains were found nearly two decades ago | Daily Mail Online
===

Her thread here on Websleuths - Jane Doe #6/Manorville Jane Doe - remains located Nov 2000 & April 2011

I honestly doubt the letters on the belt are the killer's initials, unless he is taunting the police or something. I do not know anyone who wears their own initials around his or her waist. I also doubt it is the murder weapon, and that he just left it there. If so, it surely is a red herring.

I know this is a bit old, but I thought was worth mentioning.

The sort of person who walks around with initials on their belt is the sort of person who works in a uniform and has colleagues who mainly wear the exact same uniform. I know most US schools don’t have uniform, but in the UK most of them do. You have to label every single blimmin’ piece of uniform, because if you don’t and the mislay it or another kid takes it home you never get it back, because all the uniforms are the same so you can’t say it’s definitely yours. Maybe this happens with brownies or cub scouts over there?

It’s the same as how doctors and nurses put their name on the side of their crocs in permanent marker. Personally I’d be looking at organised groups with uniforms in that area to see if it was familiar to them.

Also it’s not uncommon for victims of serial killers to be disposed of with a murder/torture weapon. Eg Fred & Rose West’s victims. Many were buried with gags, nooses or with fully taped head and a little breathing tube.

Does anyone recall the details of the ligature being found ? I remember it was a leak and LE plugged it pretty quickly, but I can't recall if that happened when the GB4 were discovered, or after some of the later victims were discovered. For some reason, I've always thought it might have been Melissa...but it's been so long now, I don't know why I made that assumption.

(Great, I guess I'm going to have to go back through years of threads, now.)

Maybe because of Dormer's interview on youtube.

The host asks Dormer "How did you make sure the calls made to Melissa's sister were actually from the killer."
Dormer replies "He said specific things about the murder and when we found her, the scene verified what he said."

Not exactly these words above, but the meaning is that.

There was a recanted news story about a victim found with a noose/item around her neck. I also think it is Melissa.

I don't know what to think about the recent belt thing... Does it belong to the killer? Is it something just grabbed from a garbage bin or a junkyard? I believe Jessica Taylor and Valerie Mack were victimized when they were with their johns.. Maybe this belt belongs to a john? Who knows..

I'm curious now about whether or not this belt included a buckle. Seems odd to call it a " belt " if it didn't have a buckle. That would be more of a " strap ", wouldn't it ? Also...just to throw this thought out into the wind...Melissa offered BDSM services. A "belt " without a buckle might just be tools of the trade, yes ? And wouldn't it be just like LISK to hire a sex worker for BDSM services and then strangle her with her own equiptment ? One final degradation.

(Just a random thought.)

I showed my husband to see if it looked farmiliar and he said it looks like the 'projects' his dad and brother would do while locked up in looney bins. He said they both had a couple of stamped belts they made while there. I hadn't seen that anywhere so thought I'd throw it out there.

After reading this and looking at the initials in the belt, could it possibly be initials of an institution that owns the belt, like a mental health hospital or a jail?
At first glance the font reminded me of livestock branding.

Re post 2020 rbbm.
Gilgo beach murders: Officials release photos of belt linked to suspect
''Suffolk Police Commissioner Geraldine Hart displayed photos of a portion of the black leather belt showing the embossed letters “HM” or “WH” during a news conference in Yaphank.

“We do believe that the belt was handled by the suspect, and did not belong to any of the victims,” she said.''

''Hart called the belt a “significant piece of evidence” that was “recovered during the initial stages of this investigation” but wouldn’t say when or where.

She also wouldn’t say if it held any DNA or was believed to have been used against any of the victims, several of whom were sex workers who authorities have said were strangled and some of whose bodies found wrapped in burlap bags.

Hart announced the launch of a website, gilgonews.com, to accept anonymous tips and provide updates on the probe.

Asked why authorities waited so long to reveal the existence of the belt, Hart said, “So, we are constantly evaluating the investigation. We’re looking at the steps we’ve taken. We’re looking at the technology that’s available at the time. And we made a decision as a team that now would be the time to release this information.”
gilgo-beach-killer-02.jpg

A portion of the black leather belt showing the embossed letters "HM" or "WH."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokylotus