Found Deceased MI - Hunter Klompstra, 18, Coopersville, 1 Jan 2020

I get what you're saying, but never have I drunk, or sober, left my belongings outside on the ground.

I have done that, when I was drunk. This is why I don't find it so strange.
Heck, I once even left my wallet on the ground, because I took it out of my purse to look for my keys and then completely forgot to put wallet back inside. I was able to recover it in the morning, and was really lucky that it was still there. I am not proud of what I did, but it is a fact that I did it in my drunken state - and I am sure I am not the only one on the planet who did the same, or something similar.

It also seems that there are contradicting statemets in the thread about whether the hat/glasses were found in the house outside, but that does not change much in my personal opinion. You can easily lose hat outside as well.

Heck, I once even left my wallet on the ground, because I took it out of my purse to look for my keys and then completely forgot to put wallet back inside. I was able to recover it in the morning, and was really lucky that it was still there. I am not proud of what I did, but it is a fact that I did it in my drunken state - and I am sure I am not the only one on the planet who did the same, or something similar.

It also seems that there are contradicting statemets in the thread about whether the hat/glasses were found in the house outside, but that does not change much in my personal opinion. You can easily lose hat outside as well.

Right, I mean that is understandable and makes sense.. the part I find odd is, if you're completely dependent on your glasses to see, I would think you would notice that, right away. Not to mention, the glasses weren't initially spotted; they were seen in a video taken and then recovered in a different spot later. I guess that is also what makes it suspicious. I had read from the family themselves on their posts, that the hat and glasses were found, outside and on the ground, on the side of the house near the air conditioning unit, about 20 feet apart from each other. There might be contradicting statements about the location of these items when they were recovered, but that's what information the family released to the public when asked about it.

Right, I mean that is understandable and makes sense.. the part I find odd is, if you're completely dependent on your glasses to see, I would think you would notice that, right away. Not to mention, the glasses weren't initially spotted; they were seen in a video taken and then recovered in a different spot later. I guess that is also what makes it suspicious. I had read from the family themselves on their posts, that the hat and glasses were found, outside and on the ground, on the side of the house near the air conditioning unit, about 20 feet apart from each other. There might be contradicting statements about the location of these items when they were recovered, but that's what information the family released to the public when asked about it.
I don’t find the relocating glasses that weird. Someone suggested an animal may have moved them- seems plausible. Even if Hunter really needs those glasses, there are reasons to take them off. It was NYE, drinking, etc. If he drank too much, needed to hurl & the bathroom(s) were occupied, he could have stepped outside to vomit there. Took off his hat & glasses to avoid them falling off & tried to make it to the water to avoid making a mess. Slip & fall & the glasses are the least of his worries. No clue if this is how it went down, but so many plausible explanations for the hat & glasses- not really a factor in this case for me. Now if someone else’s prints are on them, it changes everything, imo/jmo.

I don’t find the relocating glasses that weird. Someone suggested an animal may have moved them- seems plausible. Even if Hunter really needs those glasses, there are reasons to take them off. It was NYE, drinking, etc. If he drank too much, needed to hurl & the bathroom(s) were occupied, he could have stepped outside to vomit there. Took off his hat & glasses to avoid them falling off & tried to make it to the water to avoid making a mess. Slip & fall & the glasses are the least of his worries. No clue if this is how it went down, but so many plausible explanations for the hat & glasses- not really a factor in this case for me. Now if someone else’s prints are on them, it changes everything, imo/jmo.
Even if they have fingerprints on them. If it's a party house, someone who didn't know about or wasn't thinking about the investigation may have just been cleaning up the yard. Trash gets binned, things that someone might actually need and come back looking for get stuck in some semi-safe place easy to spot from where they were found.

What's a plausible explanation for there being no detectable scent on the hat or glasses? 1 day after he went missing? Or in the house? These are the things that I don't really understand.. I know on the "Vanished" page they had an expert scent-dog-handler say that we shed scent in the form of skin particles continuously, and it stays around even outside.

If you spend enough time reading these cases here on websleuths that are already somewhat tougher than average by the time they get posted you'll see that dogs fail more often than they succeed (in these cases)

What's a plausible explanation for there being no detectable scent on the hat or glasses? 1 day after he went missing? Or in the house? These are the things that I don't really understand.. I know on the "Vanished" page they had an expert scent-dog-handler say that we shed scent in the form of skin particles continuously, and it stays around even outside.

Where did you see it reported that the dogs were given those items to scent or that they didn't get a scent? They did indeed use tracking dogs that tracked him, but the trail ended (water tends to do that). In the end, Hunter was found in 6-7 feet of moving water in the river which is a very difficult hit for even an experienced cadaver dog to make, especially once the body is encased in adipocere, and I'm not even certain they put a cadaver dog in a boat to attempt it. As to why they didn't find the glasses , plastic doesn't hold much or any scent and they were several feet off the ground in the cold. The hat may have been found before the dogs were there as well (which was around the 3rd), since it was never actually reported in MSM, the family only confirmed two weeks later that the glasses were found on the air conditioning unit and specifically didn't say when or by whom. One scenario is, if the hat was on the wet/snowy ground near the boat launch on the river side of the house and the dog was started up in the driveway, it isn't likely he'll scent the hat that far away, or he was simply the wrong kind of dog. Another scenario is that the dog did find the hat during the search, since we don't actually know those details and they are rarely reported. Here are some good reads if you're interested in dogs:
Trailing versus tracking: The keys to success
Dog Detectives
Dogs In Search And Rescue
How Accurate are Search Dogs? – Part 2: Scent Discrimination Dogs - Lost Pet Research and Recovery

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get
Back