Found Deceased CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 **ARREST** #40

Status
Not open for further replies.
I take the circumstances of Gannon’s body being found at face value. For anything else to have happened, would mean that law enforcement is lying to the public. This would obviously come out, and damage their credibility. They don’t do that.

This past Tuesday, a work crew from the Florida Department of Transportation was working Highway 90, near the Escambia River Bridge. They found a body and contacted us,” Sgt. Rich Aloy of the Santa Rosa County Sheriff’s Office, in Florida, tells PEOPLE.

“It is a long bridge — [the body] was along the side of the bridge, but not in the water. We don’t know when the body was placed there,” Aloy says.

The remains were found approximately between 9 and 10 a.m. on Tuesday, Aloy says, and the cause of death is still undetermined.

Remains Tentatively Identified as Missing Colorado Boy Gannon Stauch's Are Found in Florida

Inmates wouldn't be there if it were a search effort. IMO. That alone, says happenstance to me.

BBM:

Here's my own position as we sit here, based on what we know so far, which is far, far, far, from everything:

I believe TS, and TS alone, murdered GS.

I believe TS, and TS alone, disposed of GS's remains.

I believe others may have knowingly lied/misled/ investigators and/or withheld information from them at her behest.

If anyone lied or withheld vital information about anything they saw, heard, or did related to GS's murder itself or the concealment of the crime afterward, that is a criminal offense.

We simply don't know enough to make a blanket statement that nobody else is culpable for having committed any crimes here.

It remains an open question in my mind.

JMO.
While that’s true, I haven’t heard of charges filed against anyone else. That’s why I suggested help would have been “unknowingly”. However, Mr Allen stated the investigation is ongoing so more charges could be coming.
And my opinion on that is that if you are correct I hope NO deals are made with anyone.

I can embrace that she may have had help. But I have to ask as well, where is the line between someone knowing the difference between right and wrong and believing she/he could be shot too?

They’ve come this far. I highly doubt that LE can’t now sort the difference between “shoulda known better” vs “brainwashed/threatened”, and complicit. Also, who knows who she knows in Florida, or why that was her chosen site.

I'm not anywhere close to pointing a finger at HH. No way. No how. She is, IMO, a victim to the n'th degree, though I think, from a LE perspective, accountable nonetheless.

I do see the possibility of someone, some where, being charged with concealing a crime, or, failure to notify, or some such ancillary charge.

I am confident Gannon's murder was at the hands of LS, and LS alone. It becomes blurry for me upon the departure of Gannon's body from Colorado, and the ensuing time spent in Myrtle Beach. It would be from that pool of individuals, contacts, and associates, those she interacted with just prior to her departure from Colorado, and certainly post departure, that I would be suspicious.

peace :)

Perhaps her accomplice was paid to "deliver a package".
And perhaps the road crew finding GS was not serendipity. I have a feeling they were directed to that area, or all had been notified to BOLO for remains.
Lastly, MOO, if it were that easy to dispose of remains by feeding them to alligators in Florida I think Casey Anthony, even lazy as she was, would have tried that. So I don't feel the location of the suitcase was an attempt to have contents consumed by gators.

Happens all of the time there. Many murder victims have been disposed of that way. I absolutely believe those were her intentions. That river in particular is known for gators. She could have dumped him in CO, NM, TX, AL, LA, SC, GA... so many other places. She chose that place for a reason.

SleuthBee,
While we don’t know if HH is a victim and we have to assume she was,
there are a couple of things Leigh said in this video that could change my mind.

First, HH told Leigh that LE harassed her in the store. I doubt that. I understood LE asked for her car keys and that LS had the keys and maybe LS talked her into “feeling” it was harassment.

Second, Leigh stated that HH told her that her mom, LS, was pregnant and in the hospital.

It is only my opinion, but I think LS taught her daughter to lie and manipulate at a young age. So although she may be a victim of her mother, I hope she is now willing to cooperate with LE on Gannon’s behalf. If not, she may be a warped individual her entire life.

And while 17 is a minor in most States, in my State 17 is of legal age. In any case, I believe a person knows between right and wrong at a fairly early age.

She can certainly be forgiven for being manipulated into assisting her mom, and she may be a victim if her mother threatened her in any way. But making those statements to the reporter tells me she was at least compliant in her moms schemes. So sad.

It’s best for me to wait until we hear evidence in the case to make a judgment either way.

IMO... maybe TS and her daughter were separated for a few days and this was the story HH was told? HIPAA laws would protect any health information from being released. Just maybe HH was not with her mother every minute of every day and believed that is where TS was.

While that’s true, I haven’t heard of charges filed against anyone else. That’s why I suggested help would have been “unknowingly”. However, Mr Allen stayed the investigation is ongoing so more charges could be coming.
And my opinion on that is that if you are correct I hope NO deals are made with anyone.

I think if DDA Allen suspects that anyone has lied or otherwise obstructed the investigation into GS's murder, he will not hesitate to use the very real threat of prosecution.

I'm very confident that this DDA would be able to persuade that individual to change his/her tune and provide a full, honest accounting of any and all guilty knowledge they may possess related to the crime.

JMO.

Last edited:
IMO TS's family has been hearing for years how much of a victim she is and how bad LH is and how awful her situation is etc, etc. And I'm sure she was very convincing. Early on I believe TS's sister was saying TS was innocent (TS was the victim) even though evidence indicated otherwise. IMO TS has spun this for years. If the people in the caravan knew anything, I wouldn't be surprised if TS convinced them "it was an accident but no one will believe me". So her family would help her hide Gannon to protect her (the victim). RD's video had not surfaced yet, so they would only be going on her words. Or the others said "What? You have him in the van? I don't want any part of this", and hid him as soon as possible. Frankly, I don't really believe that one. And yes, she could have made some excuse and changed driver's and gone on alone. I'm not sure I believe that either. Why SC via Florida, I hope that becomes clear soon.

Happens all of the time there. Many murder victims have been disposed of that way. I absolutely believe those were her intentions. That river in particular is known for gators. She could have dumped him in CO, NM, TX, AL, LA, SC, GA... so many other places. She chose that place for a reason.
I wonder if she actually intended to throw the suitcase into the river but for whatever reason she miscalculated and missed.

Maybe it was dark, she was disoriented or under the influence and thought there was water there.

Or maybe she's just dumb. I would think it would be easy to find water or a swamp if she really intended to expose the body to alligators. Being contained in a suitcase wouldn't help, either.

Imo

Is there anyone local in Pensacola near the bridge? How much space is between the railing and the roadway? Does that billboard (or anywhere on that bridge have video surveillance?)
I will try to stop and measure the distance of the railing from the roadway. I don't think a camera would catch her from the billboard, but I'll look around the next chance I get.

I have been doing a lot of reading (unfortunately) about human decomposition to try to nail down an idea in my head about when, or if Gannon was placed in a suitcase and whether anyone would have noticed. If he was kept in a storage trailer for any amount of time, and there was ANYONE accessing the inside to help LS “move”, I HIGHLY doubt that after being deceased 3-4 day, nobody noticed.
Here are two sources. One goes extremely in depth and gives incredibly unpleasant details, while the other is more friendly and has less details, but elaborates on the stages using days deceased.

5 Stages of Human Decomposition | Bio Socal

Stage 1 – Initial Breakdown

As soon as death occurs, the body temperature starts cooling to match the surrounding temperature around it. Without blood and oxygen flow, muscular tissues become rigid and the blood pools into the lower extremities. Then, as the bacteria in the intestines devour the intestinal walls, cells lose their structural integrity and cellular enzymes are released to begin breaking down the cells themselves and surrounding tissues. Microbes also start breaking down carbohydrates, proteins, and lipids. Most of this breakdown occurs inside the body and is not visible from the outside. At the end of this stage, blowflies and flesh flies arrive to lay eggs.

Stage 2 – Bloating
As bacteria multiply and process bodily materials, they produce gasses such as methane, carbon dioxide, nitrogen, and hydrogen sulfide which bloat the body. These gasses build up pressure in the body and push fluids out through natural openings including the mouth, nose, and anus. If insects are present, maggots begin to hatch and feed on body tissues causing the skin to slip, the hair to detach, and the surface to rupture. These additional openings provide even more surface area for insects and bacteria, thereby quickening the decaying process. This emitting of gasses and fluids is what causes the greatest amount of odor during the decaying process.

Stage 3 – Active Decay
It’s during the active decaying process the most body mass is lost due to bacteria and insects processing the body material along with liquids being released into the surrounding environment. During this stage, the area of decomposition expands into the surroundings and the most insects are present while they feed on bodily fluids. This stage ends when the maggots leave the body.

Stage 4 – Advanced Decay
By this stage, most soft tissues have already decomposed and only bones, hair, cartilage, ligaments, and sticky byproducts of decomposition are left. Insects with chewing mouthparts such as beetles and certain types of flies are attracted at this stage and arrive to chew on and process this tougher material.

Stage 5 – Dry Remains
The last stage is when all byproducts of decomposition have dried up and only the skeleton and perhaps some hair are left. Beetles and flies eat anything softer that remains, and mites and moth larvae digest the hair. Exposed to the elements, the bones lighten in color and are eventually reclaimed by the earth.

Speed of Decomposition
How quickly a body decomposes depends on several factors: surrounding temperature, whether the body is buried or exposed to air or water, and the number of bacteria present. A body that is exposed to the elements such as air and water will decompose faster and have more insect activity than a body buried or confined in a sealed space. In similar fashion, a body decomposing in warm temperatures will break down faster than if it is left in a cold environment. The exception to this is if the temperature is so hot that moisture, a needed component in decay, isn’t present. In that case, the body mummifies and dries out.

However fast or slow a body decomposes and goes through these five stages, it is nature’s way of releasing the materials back into the earth so new life can be born again.

The Stages Of Human Decomposition | Aftermath Services

https://www.aftermath.com/content/human-decomposition/

In past murder cases I also have been interested in the decomposition aspect and how it relates to evidence. I think what makes this case unique though is the nighttime temperatures fell below freezing on many nights around the time and after him being reported as missing.

I have read up on some of the Body Farm studies but I dont recall ever seeing a study of what would happen if about 1/2 of a day was always below freezing. Once frozen, things take awhile to thaw and if the nighttime temps went below freezing every night, then I wonder if decomposition in this case was not nearly progressed as much as we would normally think. There may have not been near as much odor as usual until he was moved South.

Of course that is assuming his body was kept where the outside temperatures affected it. We really dont know that yet I suppose.

For what its worth, below link shows what the temperatures were around the time of his disappearance. High and Low temps included for each day.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/colorado-springs/80903/february-weather/327351

Seems she cleared out her stuff on the 31st while others were searching or at a vigil (per LH). She then went and did the interview with her back to the camera and the moving vehicle visible in the background. I don’t know where she was on the 1st but I believe on the 2nd she found out about RD’s video. I think AS must have called and confronted her. (Who could resist doing so when she was brazenly claiming LH was likely to blame?!) Even if he didn’t confront LS, she knew that video could become a problem before RD even found it (see link above). He told her his video camera could see her driveway and offered to let her review video with him. So IMO police are asking if anyone saw LS in Pace, FL between Feb.3-5 because they’re pretty sure that’s when she snagged Gannon from where she’d left his body, and moved it. I don’t believe her family was caravanning with her at the time, nor knowingly aiding her in anything illegal. I think she went solo.

I wonder why cops didn’t search her moving van then. I doubt body was in it at that time then if it was open and parked in front of house with all of the police activity and family and neighbors onto her by then. Way too risky. By that point she probably had already driven him the 450 miles out of state in the rental car n stashed him in some storage unit.

I responded to the statement that she’s “accountable”. I cannot go there. I’m sorry if this poses a problem.
@jillycat The only problem I see is a difference in perception of what being held accountable means (in this case).

To be on the receiving end of LE's explanation of the seriousness of this situation (exactly as stated in @Gordiannot's post). Earlier, I stated that HH may have Stockholm Syndrome. With this understanding, LE can encourage HH to cooperate. With TS being locked up and HH less dependent, it will be easier to break that trauma bond. - To me, that is holding HH accountable for her actions, while also being compassionate and understanding of her situation. I think this will go a long way to help her to grieve for Gannon. Plus, it will separate HH from TS's horrific actions.

@jillycat, given my own experience with a manipulative mother, I really appreciate your courage to stand up for us. Sadly, all people are not as understanding as you :)

Found Deceased - CO - Gannon Stauch, 11, Colorado Springs, El Paso County, 27 Jan 2020 **ARREST** #40

From the way RD described the conversation it sounded like the "he" was the person who picked up Gannon. He said he asked her if she wanted to see the video to see if they could see if anyone came to the house and was caught on video.

Imo

I agree it could be read that way. The pronouns most certainly have unclear referents.

We don't know when the conversation happened but if it happened and involved TS it seems it had to happen Jan 27-28. At that point someone picking up GS had not been mentioned publicly. Of course, we don't really know what was being said in the neighborhood or even by LE when they went house to house.

IF "he" did refer to an unknown person, I guess that could explain why RD didn't just review the video himself. He knew GS and could have easily identified him in a video I'd think. But he couldn't know every person that might have had a legit reason for being near the Stauch home on the afternoon of the 27th much less who might be suspicious to the Stauch family. On the other hand, maybe "he" means GS but we can read it as someone picking up GS because we know that story did surface later. (And RD knew that too since he said he reviewed tape on Feb 1 worried about a stranger abduction.)

Bottom line in my book, it's unclear exactly what RD said or meant in the conversation that happened sometime Jan 27-28 that he reported well over a month later in March.
JMO

This case really shows how important it is to move fast in missing persons cases, especially involving kids. They took the word of a non-biological parent that this sweet little well-mannered boy RAN AWAY??? NOT smart. The law has to change. I personally trust no one ever, and would especially not trust one word that came out of any step-parent’s mouth regarding a missing child. I know human nature all too well. Most, if not all cops think the same way, so it must have been extremely frustrating for them not to be able to move on getting warrants for this psycho and her vehicles.

I’ve missed the info. regarding the pregnancy, etc. where can I find this.
Posted video about three pages back. Tricia speaks to Leigh, reporter if Crime Online.
I wonder if she actually intended to throw the suitcase into the river but for whatever reason she miscalculated and missed.

Maybe it was dark, she was disoriented or under the influence and thought there was water there.

Or maybe she's just dumb. I would think it would be easy to find water or a swamp if she really intended to expose the body to alligators. Being contained in a suitcase wouldn't help, either.

Imo
oh, she is definitely dumb.

SleuthBee,
While we don’t know if HH is a victim and we have to assume she was,
there are a couple of things Leigh said in this video that could change my mind.

First, HH told Leigh that LE harassed her in the store. I doubt that. I understood LE asked for her car keys and that LS had the keys and maybe LS talked her into “feeling” it was harassment.

Second, Leigh stated that HH told her that her mom, LS, was pregnant and in the hospital.

It is only my opinion, but I think LS taught her daughter to lie and manipulate at a young age. So although she may be a victim of her mother, I hope she is now willing to cooperate with LE on Gannon’s behalf. If not, she may be a warped individual her entire life.

And while 17 is a minor in most States, in my State 17 is of legal age. In any case, I believe a person knows between right and wrong at a fairly early age.

She can certainly be forgiven for being manipulated into assisting her mom, and she may be a victim if her mother threatened her in any way. But making those statements to the reporter tells me she was at least compliant in her moms schemes. So sad.

It’s best for me to wait until we hear evidence in the case to make a judgment either way.
@Love Never Fails , you sure do live up to your screen name, lol :)

Wasn't that podcast informative?

I agree that HH can be forgiven. Hopefully she can be deprogrammed of the sociopathic behaviors modeled by TS. I always taught my children, if you are not a friend of LE, then you are doing something wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox