Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's great that you didn't have to wait long to get your check.

I imagine that it depends on where someone lives as to how long it takes to get going on unemployment. JMO
Maybe. I’m in NJ and it’s easy for me every summer. I sub and because the jobs are contracted by a private company rather than the school district, I’m eligible.
Maybe it will be easier for everyone now. I hope so.

Coronavirus updates: Senate, White House reach deal on $2 trillion stimulus plan
With roughly a third of the world under some form of lockdown, the White House and Senate leaders reached agreement on a landmark $2 trillion stimulus package to combat the economic impact of coronavirus.

The White House coronavirus coordinator asked people who have recently been in New York, where the death toll continues to climb, to quarantine themselves for 14 days, because they may have been exposed before leaving.

President Donald Trump is pushing for the country to get back to business by April 12, Easter Sunday, when he said he would like to see churches full of people. The World Health Organization, meanwhile, has warned that the U.S. could become the pandemic's new epicenter.

And as the number of cases in the U.K. reached 8,000 on Wednesday, Prince Charles, heir to the British throne, was confirmed to have tested positive for coronavirus.

[...]

John Burn-Murdoch on Twitter
NEW: Wednesday 25 March update of our coronavirus mortality trajectories tracker

• US death toll curve still steepening, now past Iran at same stage. Still no lockdown
• Several new countries added as they pass 10 deaths

Live version FREE TO READ here: https://www.ft.com/content/a26fbf7e-48f8-11ea-aeb3-955839e06441 …

ET_ZMdiXsAAeUXw.jpg

7:08 PM - 25 Mar 2020

DOJ: People intentionally spreading coronavirus could be charged with terrorism - CNNPolitics
Individuals who intentionally spread the novel coronavirus could be charged with terrorism for the "purposeful exposure and infection of others," a Justice Department memo says.

[...]

"Threats or attempts to use COVID-19 as a weapon against Americans will not be tolerated," Rosen said.

The memo underscores the aggressive steps the federal government is willing to consider -- and enact -- as the outbreak spreads across the country. The US has more than 64,000 cases of the virus and nearly 900 people have died as of Wednesday afternoon, according to CNN's tally.

[...]

The deputy attorney general also detailed a "wide range of fraudulent and criminal" reported schemes related to the pandemic, including robocalls making fraudulent offers to sell respirator masks with no intent of delivery and fake coronavirus apps and websites that install malware.

"Capitalizing on this crisis to reap illicit profits or otherwise preying on Americans is reprehensible and will not be tolerated," Rosen wrote.

[...]

It's great that you didn't have to wait long to get your check.

I imagine that it depends on where someone lives as to how long it takes to get going on unemployment. JMO

It depends on a lot of things. Sometimes no wages are reported under that person's social Security number, I remember one time speaking with a claimant, I asked him to READ his number directly from his paystub, he was screaming at me, until...2 numbers on his checkstub were transposed. No wages came up under his SS number, because of that error.

Or some people have more jobs, and don't know who paid them, they say, "Taco Bell", but maybe the wages are reported under "May Co. LLC", or don't know the dates.

So many variables...but, please remember to be polite to that person, who is on the phone 8 to 10 hours a day.

Hello everyone! Hope everyone is doing well?
I am considered an essential mission critical employee so I am still working. I am very stressed out!!!!!!!

I am in the middle of a training session online. I don't have time to go back to remove posts that are against TOS. I did glance over the alerts.
Please stop discussing moderation, other members, possible timeouts, and asking for private messages. All of these are considered against TOS.

Mike Baker on Twitter
At a NYC hospital:
• 13 deaths in one day
• Some died inside the emergency room waiting for a bed
• A truck is stationed outside to hold corpses
• Sick people are standing in line for 7 hours to try and get tested
• “It’s apocalyptic,” says one doctor
7:18 PM - 25 Mar 2020

13 Deaths in a Day: An ‘Apocalyptic’ Coronavirus Surge at an N.Y.C. Hospital
In several hours on Tuesday, Dr. Ashley Bray performed chest compressions at Elmhurst Hospital Center on a woman in her 80s, a man in his 60s and a 38-year-old who reminded the doctor of her fiancé. All had tested positive for the coronavirus and had gone into cardiac arrest. All eventually died.

Elmhurst, a 545-bed public hospital in Queens, has begun transferring patients not suffering from coronavirus to other facilities as it moves toward becoming one dedicated entirely to the outbreak. Doctors and nurses have struggled to make do with a few dozen ventilators. Calls over a loudspeaker of “Team 700,” the code for when a patient is on the verge of death, come several times a shift. Some have died inside the emergency room while waiting for a bed.

A refrigerated truck has been stationed outside to hold the bodies of the dead. Over the past 24 hours, New York City’s public hospital system said in a statement, 13 people at Elmhurst had died.

“It’s apocalyptic,” said Dr. Bray, 27, a general medicine resident at the hospital.

[...]

<snip> Rikki Lane, a doctor who has worked at Elmhurst for more than 20 years, said the hospital had handled “the first wave of this tsunami.” She compared the scene in the emergency department with an overcrowded parking garage where physicians must move patients in and out of spots to access other patients blocked by stretchers.

Family members are not permitted inside, she said.

Dr. Lane recalled recently treating a man in his 30s whose breathing deteriorated quickly and had to be put on a ventilator. “He was in distress and panicked, I could see the terror in his eyes,” she said. “He was alone.”

13 Deaths in a Day: An ‘Apocalyptic’ Coronavirus Surge at an N.Y.C. Hospital

US military is not conducting civilian coronavirus tests despite offering to more than a week ago - CNNPolitics
Military labs have still not conducted a single coronavirus test on a civilian more than a week after Secretary of Defense Mark Esper offered up to help test civilians for the coronavirus, despite widespread complaints about a lack of adequate testing across the US.

"We are not maxing our capacity in our labs around the world," Joint Staff Surgeon Brig. Gen. Paul Friedrichs said at a Pentagon press conference Wednesday, adding that the Defense Department is currently operating 16 labs capable of conducting the test.

"We have not received an RFA, a request for assistance, from HHS that I'm aware of," he said, referring to the Department of Health and Human Services.
"But we do have capacity in some of our labs. We've identified that to HHS," he added.

HHS has not responded to a CNN request for comment.

[...]

Social distancing in New Orleans is 'driving our rodents crazy.' Here's how the city responded.
MAR 23, 2020

“A viral video by Charles Marsala showing more than a dozen rats congregating in the middle of a vacant Bourbon Street last week shed light on an emerging phenomenon: With many restaurants closed, rats accustomed to getting food out of public view are having to forage more widely, and empty streets lined with residential garbage cans are the next closest source.

"What we have seen is these (social-distancing) practices are driving our rodents crazy," Mayor LaToya Cantrell said on Sunday, while addressing the importance of protecting the local homeless population that shares the streets with the increasingly brazen vermin.”

[...]

“Riegel urged residents to call 311 if they see rats in their area because they are a danger to public health.

“There are pathogens in these rodents," she said. "Fortunately … we don’t have many disease cases actually related to rodents, but the potential is there.””

Pandemic Response Fells First European Government in Kosovo
Kosovo lawmakers voted to remove Prime Minister Albin Kurti, becoming the first nation in Europe to vote out a government over the way it handled the coronavirus outbreak.

The government collapsed late on Wednesday, just months after it took office. The vote was called by a junior coalition partner who criticized steps taken to curb the contagion. Kurti ordered a curfew and banned public gatherings on Monday to stem the spread, defying President Hashim Thaci who wanted to declare national emergency. The two officials have been at odds all along, mainly on how Kosovo should mend ties with Serbia and which one of them should lead those talks.

[...]

Sean Payton cleared by doctors from coronavirus - ProFootballTalk
Saints coach Sean Payton, who tested positive for COVID-19 last week, said doctors “cleared” him Tuesday.

“I’m feeling a lot better,” Payton said on WWL Radio on Wednesday, via Jeff Duncan of TheAthletic.com.

Payton began feeling the symptoms of coronavirus on March 15. He took a COVID-19 test the following day and received the result last Thursday.

“Prince Charles caught it today, right?” Payton said. “It doesn’t matter if you live in a castle or an apartment. No one is too immune to it.”

[...]

UGH !!! I wish !!!
You have to apply and normally (without a crisis ensuing) it can take 8-12 weeks to get approved -- 2-3 months just for approval then wait for first payment.
With everyone and their brother applying for it due to so many lost jobs, they are going to be even more back logged.
It will be a miracle if people get approved within 6-12 months, much less a payment.
I hope mtg companies, landlords, etc will offer grace periods for this international crisis.

Something needs to be done fast to get money to people to bridge this global shutdown. People need to know that assistance is not a one time cheque, because they will worry about what-next as soon as it is in their hands.

Canada just approved an 82 billion dollar decision to help people. Even those who are not laid off or fired are eligible for $2000/mo for 4 months if they are not working. The money should be coming through in mid-April.

(no link, but it's all over the news - easy to find the news)

Pentagon reports first known coronavirus case in service member
The Pentagon reported its first positive coronavirus case of a service member stationed at the building, a U.S. Defense Official confirmed Wednesday.

A U.S. Marine stationed at the Pentagon tested positive for COVID-19 on Tuesday, the Department of Defense spokesperson Lt. Col. Thomas Campbell said in a statement.

The Marine is in isolation at home and will undergo further assessment by health professionals. His last day in the Pentagon was March 13.

“The Marine followed U.S. Centers for Disease Control guidelines and DoD directives by isolating himself when an immediate family member began to show symptoms. Once he became ill, he contacted his assigned medical facility,” Campbell said.

[...]

There have been previous cases confirmed of an active-duty airman and Air Force contractor who visited the Pentagon in recent weeks.

[...]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member