Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there is a technical problem crossing state lines because states do the licensing of these professionals. Plus, the professional has to be willing to travel and most have their own families to consider because schools are shut down and the primary transmission of this rotten plaque has been via travel.

JMO
That's interesting.

What about ventilators? I'm sure those can be shipped to where the need is greatest.

PPE from areas that are not yet seeing many cases? Production of these is ramping up and will be able to replenish those stocks later on. JMO

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to link to something that you said. I didn't state any of that.
Okay. What government supplies are you talking about?

Polis Issues Colorado Stay-at-Home Order: ‘Now Is Not The Time To Die’

“Gov. Jared Polis issued a statewide “stay at home” order Wednesday, requiring the state’s 5.7 million residents to avoid unnecessary travel or mingling with others outside their households.

Polis, who had resisted taking the dramatic step even as cities, counties and local health departments in metro Denver issued similar orders before him, said he was persuaded that a statewide approach was necessary as the coronavirus continued to spread throughout the population.

“Now is the time to stay at home,” Polis said.”

[...]

“But in the last five days, the number of Coloradans hospitalized with COVID-19 more than doubled, from 44 to 147, and the number of deaths nearly doubled in a single night, from 11 Tuesday to 19 reported Wednesday.”
I was shocked at the advice Mr Reisch gave out on his last crime talk episode. He was more than casual about the social distancing recommendations he gave out, IMO.

I'm proud to say a friend of mine who owns a company has diverted production into making face shields he designed and engineered here in Washington state. They made 100 today and production is ramping up for more in the next few days. The ones today are going to a county's emergency management department. Another county just requested 500 of the shields.

Hopefully his company will make enough profit to meet his payroll but his goal is mainly to provide much needed protection to health care workers here in Washington state.

It's times like this that seeing people working hard to help medical workers makes me happy to live in a state where everyone is doing their best to get through the tough days ahead.

That's interesting.

What about ventilators? I'm sure those can be shipped to where the need is greatest.

PPE from areas that are not yet seeing many cases? Production of these is ramping up and will be able to replenish those stocks later on. JMO

Ventilators are needed for 3 weeks for one patient, so when there are no patients who need ventilators, then of course the ventilators can be shipped to a place where they are needed. In the meantime, China was able to flatten the curve using draconian measures early on to hit the peak after 4 months. That means that NY will be done with the ventilators no sooner than 4-5 months.

From the Texas Department of Emergency Management latest Situation Report tonight: Situation Reports – TDEM
STATEWIDE CURRENT SITUATION: Governor Greg Abbott provided an update on COVID-19 in Texas on Tuesday, March 24 at 2:30PM at the Texas Department of Public Safety warehouse facility. The Governor was joined by Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) Commissioner John Hellerstedt, MD, and Texas Division of Emergency Management (TDEM)
Chief Nim Kidd. Governor Abbott held a press conference on March 24 to provide an update on incoming supplies of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and other resources to aid Texas’ response to COVID-19. The Governor announced that the newly established Supply Chain Strike Force has
already secured more than $83 million of purchase orders for essential supplies. Additionally, the Governor announced that the Texas Division of Emergency Management (TDEM) will begin receiving 100,000 masks per day by the end of this week and the Supply Chain Strike Force will
begin receiving an additional 100,000 masks per day by the end of next week—meaning the State of Texas will soon be receiving more than one million masks per week.
The Governor also announced the launch of an online portal run by the Supply Chain Strike Force to streamline the process and validation of leads for more supplies. The portal, accessible through www.texas.gov, will serve as an intake process for those wanting to provide valid leads on PPE and donations. The portal also serves as a portal for those wanting to donate supplies,
services, or your time—including medical professionals and nurses looking to volunteer."

BBM
(and I apologize for my previous post)

That's interesting.

I think one concern is that PPE is still needed for a) stuff other than COVID-19 and b) in order to test for COVID-19. This is a problem that can't be easily resolved by shuffling things around - especially when those things are in short supply and needed in vast quantities in all locations.

This is a problem that must be resolved through production - production that could and should have started a while back. But it is happening now, and we are apparently trying to purchase from other nations, so it's a start. Distribution goes hand in hand with that, and for that, organization and direction is needed.

Coronavirus death toll tops 21,000 globally: Live updates - CNN
''The Senate has just approved a historic, $2 trillion stimulus package in response to the coronavirus pandemic, with a final vote of 96 to zero in favor of the bill.

Why this matters: The legislation represents the largest emergency aid package in US history and the most significant legislative action taken to address the rapidly intensifying coronavirus crisis, which is overwhelming hospitals and grinding much of the economy to a halt.

What comes next: The package will next go to the House for a vote. The House will convene Friday morning to consider the bill, and the plan is to pass the bill by voice vote. President Donald Trump has indicated he will sign the measure.

What's in the bill: Key elements of the proposal are $250 billion set aside for direct payments to individuals and families, $350 billion in small business loans, $250 billion in unemployment insurance benefits and $500 billion in loans for distressed companies.

The bill would also provide a major amount of funding for hard-hit hospitals -- $130 billion -- and $150 billion for state and local governments that are cash-strapped due to their response to coronavirus.''

This is so sad :(

Gerrity's Supermarket
Today was a very challenging day.

At 2:20 PM today, I got a call from our Hanover Township store. The manager informed me that a woman, who the police know to be a chronic problem in the community, came in to the store and proceeded to purposely cough on our fresh produce, and a small section of our bakery, meat case and grocery.

While there is little doubt this woman was doing it as a very twisted prank, we will not take any chances with the health and well-being of our customers. We had no choice but to throw out all product she came in contact with. Working closely with the Hanover Township health inspector, we identified every area that she was in, we disposed of the product and thoroughly cleaned and disinfected everything.

Although we have not yet quantified the total loss, we estimate the value to be well over $35,000. We are checking to see if our insurance company will cover it, but even if they do, our rates will surely go up next year. I am also absolutely sick to my stomach about the loss of food. While it is always a shame when food is wasted, in these times when so many people are worried about the security of our food supply, it is even more disturbing.

Our incredible team did the best they could to get the woman out of the store as fast as possible. The police were contacted immediately and the case has been escalated to the District Attorney’s Office. They have assured me that they will be aggressively pursuing numerous charges. In addition, while we do not believe the woman is truly infected, they will make every effort to see that she is tested.

The only silver lining to this travesty is that it gave us the unfortunate opportunity to test our protocols and demonstrate how seriously we take your safety. At one point, we had over 15 employees involved in the disposal and clean up.

I would like to thank every member of our organization who pitched in today to help, especially those of you who came in on your day off and those who stayed late. I would also like to thank the people who will going in early tomorrow to get the departments restocked. One thing is for sure, we will have the cleanest display and freshest produce anywhere in northeast PA.

-Joe Fasula
Co-owner

Ventilators are needed for 3 weeks for one patient, so when there are no patients who need ventilators, then of course the ventilators can be shipped to a place where they are needed. In the meantime, China was able to flatten the curve using draconian measures early on to hit the peak after 4 months. That means that NY will be done with the ventilators no sooner than 4-5 months.
I'm not following you here.

Is 3 weeks on a ventilator a maximum ? If so where does the 5 months come from?

I think there is a technical problem crossing state lines because states do the licensing of these professionals. Plus, the professional has to be willing to travel and most have their own families to consider because schools are shut down and the primary transmission of this rotten plaque has been via travel.

JMO
I thought they were relaxing the rules about state licensing to allow for this to happen with ease. I think I heard it on NPR.

Okay. What government supplies are you talking about?
You asked if the federal government could mandate where medical supplies and equipment were sent.

I said "absolutely, from gov supplies and purchases". Sorry, I don't see any controversy here. You must be confusing my post with some other person you were conversing with.

I watch all the pressers, just today the feds sent 2000 respirators to Cuomo, and 2000 more tomorrow. Of course he needs 30k, but 4 k from the fed gov will help some.

@MimosaMornings best stuff for cracked hands is "Bag Balm", they sell it at Walmart and on Amazon. Aquaphor is good too. Or even just apply Chapstick to those knuckles a couple of times a day.

It's a horrible name but ZIMS Crack Cream works, too. It's sold at Walmart. I found it worked after having to continuously wash my hands after working in the garden. My husband had bought it to sooth his hands when he'd been mixing building material that has a drying effect on skin.

I think one concern is that PPE is still needed for a) stuff other than COVID-19 and b) in order to test for COVID-19. This is a problem that can't be easily resolved by shuffling things around - especially when those things are in short supply and needed in vast quantities in all locations.

This is a problem that must be resolved through production - production that could and should have started a while back. But it is happening now, and we are apparently trying to purchase from other nations, so it's a start. Distribution goes hand in hand with that, and for that, organization and direction is needed.
I'm guessing that there has to be a little tiny amount of extra PPE that are in stock in areas that are not in the same situation as New York.

I understand that production is the only way to solve the problem long term, but way can't an even small amount of material be shipped to NY to help save even a few lives? JMO

From the Texas Department of Emergency Management latest Situation Report tonight: Situation Reports – TDEM
STATEWIDE CURRENT SITUATION: Governor Greg Abbott provided an update on COVID-19 in Texas on Tuesday, March 24 at 2:30PM at the Texas Department of Public Safety warehouse facility. The Governor was joined by Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) Commissioner John Hellerstedt, MD, and Texas Division of Emergency Management (TDEM)
Chief Nim Kidd. Governor Abbott held a press conference on March 24 to provide an update on incoming supplies of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and other resources to aid Texas’ response to COVID-19. The Governor announced that the newly established Supply Chain Strike Force has
already secured more than $83 million of purchase orders for essential supplies. Additionally, the Governor announced that the Texas Division of Emergency Management (TDEM) will begin receiving 100,000 masks per day by the end of this week and the Supply Chain Strike Force will
begin receiving an additional 100,000 masks per day by the end of next week—meaning the State of Texas will soon be receiving more than one million masks per week.
The Governor also announced the launch of an online portal run by the Supply Chain Strike Force to streamline the process and validation of leads for more supplies. The portal, accessible through www.texas.gov, will serve as an intake process for those wanting to provide valid leads on PPE and donations. The portal also serves as a portal for those wanting to donate supplies,
services, or your time—including medical professionals and nurses looking to volunteer."

BBM
(and I apologize for my previous post)
Terrific!!!

You asked if the federal government could mandate where medical supplies and equipment were sent.

I said "absolutely, from gov supplies and purchases". Sorry, I don't see any controversy here. You must be confusing my post with some other person you were conversing with.

I watch all the pressers, just today the feds sent 2000 respirators to Cuomo, and 2000 more tomorrow. Of course he needs 30k, but 4 k from the fed gov will help some.
You initially said that the federal government "should" send supplies.

Now you're saying that they did send supplies.

Yes I'm confused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member