Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m hearing coffee is the next shortage item plus maybe vitamin C now that it’s being used ? IMO
Still cannot get TP, flour - cleaning and sanitizing supplies and I couldn’t get dishwashing soap (not for the dishwasher) - checking daily before and after work - I will wash my pans in liquid soap I guess
Sigh

Target report
Went to target - no citrus no paper products - and I’m in Florida - I bought vitamin c ibuprofen doggy treats dishwashing liquid(very limited) and ice cream and chocolate for those that like sweets (not me). I’ve never seen the shelves so bare.

This is a cheap easy snack (costs less than chips) - bag of stick pretzels, package of dry ranch dressing, 3/4 cup veg oil and 1 t ground cayenne red pepper - preheat oven to 200 and pour out the pretzels - mix oil and ranch and cayenne in a measuring cup and pour over the pretzels in a roasting pan - stir well - set timer for an hour and stir every 15 minutes - spicy and satisfies the salt craving and red pepper may stop your hunger - it’s a natural appetite suppressant IMO
I buy everything at Aldi except the cayenne red pepper (they don’t carry it locally)

Last edited:
My AquaRain filter will make 3 gallons of potable drinking water in roughly 3 hours. We should be able to take pool/rain water, boil it on the grill and then run it through the filter. In theory we don’t need to boil it, but our hurricane plan has always been to boil it just to be sure. It makes really good filtered water and we use it year round. When I started doing the math for how much bottled water I would need for prep for a hurricane for potentially 8 people it was pretty easy. If it doesn’t rain it can be issue but we have a 16K gallon swimming pool in the backyard I can use as backup water source.

Hmmm, I don't think I would drink the pool water due to stuff added, and other junk/skin cells. Do you have a salt/saline pool? Have you ever added an algicide? If so, it may make you ill I would think. I found some info on such as I was thinking that the cyanuric acid (pool stabilizer to keep chlorine stable) would be the most harmful... ?

Here's a CDC page, but it doesn't speak to such, yet does have phone numbers to call (too late right now lol)

Making Water Safe in an Emergency

also...

Can You Drink Swimming Pool Water in an Emergency? | SuperPrepper.com

Drinking Swimming Pool Water in an Emergency | Safe To Drink?

Good morning to all....Marking my spot......:)....moo

Good morning Cody22. Did you know that you don't need to mark your spot? Click on "Watch Thread" the top of this thread on the right side in blue letters. Then when you want to come back later, go to "Watched Threads", which appears in the banner at the top of the screen. That will bring up the list of threads you've selected to "Watch".

Then from your list of Watched Threads click the tiny blue dot at the beginning of the thread title of your choice, and hey presto ... that takes you right back to where you left off. It's pretty slick.

Last edited:
West Texas Report - Our local HEB opens at 8am every morning now. A little before 8am this morning, a friend of our family just sent my wife a photo of a line that stretches around the HEB building that is at least 300 yards long. She is at the back of the line. It was still growing and no one is keeping a safe distance from each other.......moo

West Texas Report - Our local HEB opens at 8am every morning now. A little before 8am this morning, a friend of our family just sent my wife a photo of a line that stretches around the HEB building that is at least 300 yards long. She is at the back of the line. It was still growing and no one is keeping a safe distance from each other.......moo
I'm seeing the same thing - lines that wrap around the grocery stores/drug stores - people are right next to each other.. i just drive away...

Walmart, Kroger among grocery stores installing plexiglass barriers, social distancing markers amid outbreak

In press releases, both Walmart and Kroger shared that supermarkets would be adding temporary plexiglass sneeze guards to pharmacy lanes and checkout counters.

Walmart shared the news Tuesday, confirming that all locations across the country will install the plexiglass shields at store registers in the next 2 to 3 weeks. The company will also be installing the barriers at both Walmart and Sam’s Club pharmacy lanes during the same time period.

In addition to the sneeze guards meant to protect both customers and employees, the major grocery store chains have also implemented social distancing tools by installing floor decals and waiting points designed to keep people six feet away from each other.

“Over the coming days and week we are installing floor decals in our stores at both the entrances and in checkout lanes, making it easier for customers to judge the proper social distance from each other,” a press release from Walmart read.

You may find less crowds later in the morning, after the morning "rush" subsides. Whether specific items will be available is a question, but that's a concern no matter what time you shop. I've noticed my local grocery store is doing a better job restocking throughout the day and limiting certain "hot" items.

It's interesting to see how "we" behave when faced with long lines. To some, it immediately sets our hearts racing, wondering why are so many people adamant about getting in that store at this time. . . is there a shortage, an incredible sale, a new shipment that just arrived? Should we panic? Should we get in line too, just to be safe???

When the acute crisis has passed, I'm looking forward to all of the research papers we'll see about panic buying, behavior of crowds, herd mentality, monkey-see, monkey-do behavior. I'm looking forward to some interesting reading, LOL.
IMO

I’m hearing coffee is the next shortage item plus maybe vitamin C now that it’s being used ? IMO
Still cannot get TP, flour - cleaning and sanitizing supplies and I couldn’t get dishwashing soap (not for the dishwasher) - checking daily before and after work - I will wash my pans in liquid soap I guess
Sigh

Not sure how many stores will still do this but if an item is out of stock, try to get rainchecks if you can. Last week my local Shoppers Drug Mart had large cans of coffee, regular $15.99 on sale for $6.99 but were out of stock. Got a raincheck for 2 cans and picked them up yesterday. Saved $18.00 and have coffee to last for about 2 months. Now, if I could just find something to eat :D

Also, ask your store when they receive deliveries. The store I went to told me they received their deliveries Monday night and Wednesday night so the best time to get product was Tuesday and Thursday mornings.

Not sure how many stores will still do this but if an item is out of stock, try to get rainchecks if you can. Last week my local Shoppers Drug Mart had large cans of coffee, regular $15.99 on sale for $6.99 but were out of stock. Got a raincheck for 2 cans and picked them up yesterday. Saved $18.00 and have coffee to last for about 2 months. Now, if I could just find something to eat :D

Also, ask your store when they receive deliveries. The store I went to told me they received their deliveries Monday night and Wednesday night so the best time to get product was Tuesday and Thursday mornings.
Thanks - I will try that - I did stock up on coffee myself and creamer which is now limited for me locally (french vanilla - can't live without it) and I also have jars of instant coffee in a pinch. So far, Publix and target won't confirm anything delivery related. Just that they get them when they get them. sigh.

I know folks are checking mom and pop stores for TP , flour, etc but if you need meat they can be a good source.
Stop at a local deli for bread today. They are selling ground beef, and boneless chicken by the lb. The boneless chicken was cheap at $2.29 lb. I grab some to drop off at the in-laws.

Sigh

LOL. I put liquid dishwashing soap into the dishwasher one time....

Deleted duplicate post.

Thanks - I will try that - I did stock up on coffee myself and creamer which is now limited for me locally (french vanilla - can't live without it) and I also have jars of instant coffee in a pinch. So far, Publix and target won't confirm anything delivery related. Just that they get them when they get them. sigh.

Ask the stockers. They’re a young group usually and chatty.
As for finding odds and ends, I’ve gotten on my hands and knees to look all the way back on the shelves. Today I found a lone bottle of bleach so far back that I almost missed it. One jar of peanut butter located the same way.

We have lots of canned goods and some boxed meals and rice etc.,,..,.but are running low on milk, eggs, produce, fruit, etc...and TP ...oh , and beer and wine...;)

So I have three 'attempts' lined up this week. I am curious if any of them will end up successfully with TP, eggs, milk etc...

My daughter and her bf are going to a few stores tomorrow , Whole Foods and Sprouts....last time they found about half of the things on our list, but found a few surprise items we were happy with...they added avocados and whiskey and tortillas to our basket and that was nice....

But Saturday I have TWO deliveries coming from instacart...one from Target and one from CVS...and I expect that only 1/4 to 1/2 of each order will be fulfilled.

If I get the full orders that will be great---I will share with others who I know need groceries too

But I am a bit worried that even with all 3 attempts, we will not have some of the basics needed to prepare some of the ingredients we have on hand,...o_O

It’s interesting about flour. That and cereal are the shortages around here now ( mid Atlantic area). Tp is hard to find and cleaners, of course, and some meats.

any idea about the panic run on flour? I bake all the time, so I have 10-15 pounds on a normal basis and I don’t need it yet, but is everyone going to start cooking from scratch? I saw cake, various dessert and pancake mix in stock and tons of already made bread, as well as the whack ‘em tubes, so no shortage of those.

weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member