Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #36

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many weeks?

The illness lasts 20 days. If the peak is in 3 weeks, many more people will need respirators for 20 days after 3 weeks from now. What if another state has an explosion of cases in 2 weeks?
Not all who are infected require ventilators and our state health department has said the duration of illness varies and is based on the severity of the illness. One of the princess cruise passengers never got very sick but he still tested positive 40 days after quarantine at Nebraska Medicine.

JMO

Today I decided to take a little trip out...snipped to reply

You write a darn good true story, MichelleBlue. I was hanging on your every word. I actually gasped at this exciting part-- "As I did, my fingertips touched his palm. I quickly pulled away & wiped my hand on my pants. "Sorry," he said. Ugh, my stomach was turning now."

You're going to be fine. You didn't touch your face, I hope. Don't worry.

I hope I catch your account of tomorrow's walk. Hey, you could launch your new career as a virus genre writer.

Sorry if this is not allowed but I just needed to reach out. I have been granted the opportunity to work from home. This is truly a prayer that has been answered. My boyfriend has been living with me for about 3 years now. He does not want to stay quarantined. Last week I pleaded with him not to go to a friend's house to hangout. Well he did. I have a weakened immune system since I have had many times gotten very sick with bronchitis. Asking for prayers that he will listen to me. He left today again to run an errand. It has been over 6 hours. I know he is out drinking. Again sorry if this is not allowed. I just needed to tell someone.

@Bellecent It's awful that you have to endure this from someone who should care deeply about your well-being. How amazing to know that you can reach out to your community of WebSleuthers.

You say that you've pleaded with him not to go to his friend's house, yet he did. He's on an "errand" that has taken six hours at least, and you're sure he's drinking.

I don't know what city or state you are in, and that does make a difference, since certain states have stricter or more lenient rules in place for social distancing. My state is on total lockdown. However, no matter where you are living, the overarching rule is for people to keep their distance, even from family that doesn't live with them.

People are having to stay apart...no Passover Seder, no Easter festivities, no big weddings, no school graduations, etc. etc. No sports, no Olympics, no restaurants. Everyone is forfeiting everything in the interest of keeping the virus from spreading,

I feel rotten to say it, but if your boyfriend cannot forfeit his friends and liquor to keep you safe, then this must end. I don't know how, because you shouldn't be out too much when you're immuno-compromised, so I don't know if you should travel to a friend or family member and stay there. I don't know if you can lock him out, because he probably has rights to your home since he lives there. But give it some thought as to how you can extricate yourself from living with him. He doesn't have your best interests at heart, so you must be strong and separate from him.

Terrific!!!

AND from that same report:

"Governor Abbott has directed the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) to issue guidance allowing restaurants to sell bulk retail products from restaurant supply chain distributors directly to consumers provided that such foods are in their original condition, packaging, or presented as received by the restaurant. Under this guidance, restaurants will beable to sell items like packaged meat, fruit and vegetables, and dry goods directly to the public
to prepare and consume at home. This guidance will allow distributors and restaurants to provide Texans another source of food outside of grocery stores and prepared food from restaurants. These bulk food items would be available for purchase through restaurants offering drive-thru, delivery, pick-up, and curbside service."

But not all of them will need to be on a ventilator for 3 weeks will they?

20% of sick people of all ages in China were hospitalized. Yes, there will be that many people who need ventilators over the next few months. This will not peak in two weeks, with today's numbers in a holding pattern. This is exploding everywhere - but some places are a couple of weeks behind NY and Seattle.

Rbbm. Snippets from lengthy article.
What is a ventilator? The 'critical resource' that is in short supply
'Updated March 25, 2020, 3:04 PM EDT
By Elizabeth Chuck

The coronavirus is straining the global health care system, and one piece of lifesaving medical equipment is in particularly scarce supply: mechanical ventilators.

A ventilator helps patients who cannot properly breathe on their own by pumping air into their lungs through a tube that has been inserted into their windpipes. Because COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, affects the respiratory system, the number of hospitalized patients in need of breathing assistance has exploded since the pandemic began.'

"This is a disease that people are dying of because of respiratory illness. They're not dying because their heart fails. They're not dying of shock," Rizzo said. "They're dying because they just can't get oxygen to their bloodstream, and that makes other organs fail, as well."

''Ventilators are hospital bedside machines that assist with two critical functions: getting enough oxygen into the bloodstream and clearing out carbon dioxide, which can build up when the patient is too weak or sick to move air in and out of the lungs. The decision to hook a patient up to one is made when it is clear that the lungs have become too inflamed or injured to do those functions on their own and when steps that are less invasive, like an oxygen mask placed over a person's nose and mouth, fail to deliver what the patient needs.

"Through different types of settings, we're able to sync up with how the patient is breathing and assist them with extra pressure, extra volume, extra flow using that mechanical ventilator," Singer said.

''The time a patient stays on a ventilator can vary from days to weeks, experts said. At the Tulane Medical Center in New Orleans, coronavirus patients have typically been on ventilators for one or two weeks, said Dr. Joshua Denson, a pulmonary medicine and critical care physician.''
All of this talk of ventilators is scaring the hell out of me. It’s been said “ignorance is bliss” Whoever said it surely hadn’t yet met the Coronavirus.

AND from that same report:

"Governor Abbott has directed the Texas Department of State Health Services (DSHS) to issue guidance allowing restaurants to sell bulk retail products from restaurant supply chain distributors directly to consumers provided that such foods are in their original condition, packaging, or presented as received by the restaurant. Under this guidance, restaurants will beable to sell items like packaged meat, fruit and vegetables, and dry goods directly to the public
to prepare and consume at home. This guidance will allow distributors and restaurants to provide Texans another source of food outside of grocery stores and prepared food from restaurants. These bulk food items would be available for purchase through restaurants offering drive-thru, delivery, pick-up, and curbside service."
Very smart and hopefully cuts down on grocery store shortages.

20% of people of all ages in China were hospitalized. Yes, there will be that many people who need ventilators over the next few months. This will not peak in two weeks, with today's numbers in a holding pattern. This is exploding everywhere - but some places are a couple of weeks behind NY and Seattle.
I'm not sure you are right. Seems to be too long of a time period.

Maybe a link will help me understand.

Reporting from a small business restaurant frontline.
Today was decent. Yesterday was awful. We feel a bit like the stock market. What a rollercoaster.
The Denny's restaurant in our location shut down today. We also have a huge gym here, it's been closed since ordered to do so by the California Governor.
We've not paid our $5,200. Per month rent, payroll taxes or sales taxes.
We are paying employees, food suppliers, insurance and utilities.
We have discovered that many in our community really care about us.
Multiple people are ordering $40. To go orders, then giving my hubby a $50. Tip for the order. Crazy.
Mr. Kali said to me when he got home "I feel like Sally Fields at the Oscars". "You love me, you REALLY love me!"
It's just Mr. Kali and our Cook working to keep our doors open right now.
We've had a number of our servers drop in to say that they miss working for our restaurant.
I'm feeling pretty proud of ourselves right now. Mr. Kali and I built this restaurant from 4 square walls in 2004.
We make 99% of our food from scratch. Sauces, dressings, bread and more.
We've kept true to the "old ways" never buying into the new way many restaurants went, with frozen or prepared foods.
Nevertheless, we're going to owe a ton of money to our landlord and government after this is over.
Right now though, I refuse to dwell on that.
All my energy is focused on keeping our doors open and serving our community real, and good tasty food.

Reporting from a small business restaurant frontline.
Today was decent. Yesterday was awful. We feel a bit like the stock market. What a rollercoaster.
The Denny's restaurant in our location shut down today. We also have a huge gym here, it's been closed since ordered to do so by the California Governor.
We've not paid our $5,200. Per month rent, payroll taxes or sales taxes.
We are paying employees, food suppliers, insurance and utilities.
We have discovered that many in our community really care about us.
Multiple people are ordering $40. To go orders, then giving my hubby a $50. Tip for the order. Crazy.
Mr. Kali said to me when he got home "I feel like Sally Fields at the Oscars". "You love me, you REALLY love me!"
It's just Mr. Kali and our Cook working to keep our doors open right now.
We've had a number of our servers drop in to say that they miss working for our restaurant.
I'm feeling pretty proud of ourselves right now. Mr. Kali and I built this restaurant from 4 square walls in 2004.
We make 99% of our food from scratch. Sauces, dressings, bread and more.
We've kept true to the "old ways" never buying into the new way many restaurants went, with frozen or prepared foods.
Nevertheless, we're going to owe a ton of money to our landlord and government after this is over.
Right now though, I refuse to dwell on that.
All my energy is focused on keeping our doors open and serving our community real, and good tasty food.
It sounds like the love you put into feeding your community well is being returned. That's a sign of an excellent business and excellent people who own the business :)

Today I decided to take a little trip out...snipped

Sounds like fiction.
I'm sorry-every day is just bizarre.
I think this is such an evil virus. Keeping the old separated from the young and their families. The family unit that God designed to always be there for one another. It is un-natural, against everything human.
Be safe, stay home.
jmo

I agree, it's evil. It is almost like a diabolical devil virus that knows how to cause divisions in people standing close, some family members can't get together at all because this virus wants to wipe out families, wants to destroy school systems and the economy... hey it wants to control the World.

Care home nurse tells of terrifying and sudden ways coronavirus struck her patients

Here's what Nurse Chelsey Earnest said to describe it:

"It's an invisible invader. And I described it as chasing the devil, 'cause that's what it was like," Earnest said."

bbm

I'm not sure you are right. Seems to be too long of a time period.

Maybe a link will help me understand.

A couple of weeks ago people were here saying that we cannot trust that it's as bad as it looks in China, that it's a bit of hype or hoax, that what happens in Italy will reveal the truth. People who were preparing for a local epidemic were called "panicker" and "henny penny."

It happens fast. People who did not expect it cannot believe it until they are standing in it.

NY will need ventilators for the next 5 months, and they will be unable to keep up with the deaths. Just like China, Italy and Spain, bodies will be moved to crematoriums, no funerals. Don't imagine that US cities are different from Italy, Spain, France, Iran, China.

I should add that I'm the dystopian view of this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
therealdrreid