Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else spending their birthday while in quarantine? Mine is coming up and I am up for suggestions.
Happy almost Birthday. Call/face time. When you wash your hands you can sing Happy Birthday to "me". Mine was on the 23rd and we cooked up a turkey. Well hubby did. I received many calls. Our adult Children have not been here in weeks and weeks as they both work at Hospital. I miss them. Make the best of it. There will be others where we are surrounded by loved one's.

Stanford tested 9 methods of decontaminating N95's and concluded that 30 minutes in a kitchen oven set at 158 degrees was the best of all of them. They didn't like the hydrogen peroxide method because it hanged the polarization of the masks, reducing effectiveness.

Fitting masks to the face is really important for healthcare workers, public transport workers, first responders, and store clerks in essential businesses.

Thanks for the information. I'll pass that along to my family members in HC. Lucky they have a few N95s of their own.

I have one niece who's husband is Director of a large ER, in Flordia. They are preppers in a major way. Enough food for months, generator, all kinds of medical supplies. She was able to hook several family members up with gowns, face shields and mask. They have lots of older folks in the neighborhood and started taking care of them during hurricanes, now the whole street are mini preppers.

Ventilator 'rationing' begins in UK: Only patients with 'reasonable certainty' of survival are put on the machines at London hospital - as Britain's coronavirus death toll rises by 209 to 1,228 and infections jump by 2,483 to 19,522

Only patients with 'reasonable certainty' of survival are put on ventilators at London hospital | Daily Mail Online

#StayHomeSaveLives

Look at those numbers! And UK declined EU's offer to extend the deadline to join their medical equipment transport venture. So UK is now on its own. I wonder if China likes them as much as China likes Italy and New York?

I guess the "let's just let it flow through the population" thing is making for some hard choices in London.

20,000 cases. Wow. Huge jump in death numbers.

Our Gov’ just fielded another question specifically about Lowe’s & TSC & the large crowds. He said the stores need to close their doors at certain points. Idk about Lowe’s but the TSC needs to remain open, sounds like Lowe’s & home improvement stores might be forced to close.

Thanks for the information. I'll pass that along to my family members in HC. Lucky they have a few N95s of their own.

I have one niece who's husband is Director of a large ER, in Flordia. They are preppers is a major way. Enough food for months, generator, all kinds off medical supplies. She was able to hook several family members up with gowns, face shields and mask. They have lots of older folks in the neighborhood and started taking care of them during hurricanes, now the whole street are mini preppers.
If you put used masks in your oven you can contaminate your oven.

Anyone else spending their birthday while in quarantine? Mine is coming up and I am up for suggestions.

We had a Zoom party for our little sweetie. It was fun, considering the circumstances! Papa and Oma dressed in their finery, pearls, suit and black tie, and made a cake with candles. When the wee princess blew them out over the screen they magically blew out on this side.

You can also host a movie event if your family and friends are older.

Iowa health officials expect first peak of COVID-19 cases in 2-3 weeks
JOHNSTON, Iowa (KCRG) - Iowa Health officials say they expect to see the first peak of COVID-19 cases in the next 2-3 weeks.

Iowa's Governor touted the steps taken so far to contain the spread of COVID-19 cases in Iowa and reminded Iowans to keep limiting travel and exposure risks during a Sunday news conference.

The state confirmed its fourth death from COVID-19 on Saturday, a person in Linn County with underlying health conditions. There are now 336 confirmed cases in Iowa with 5,013 negative tests to date. Iowa confirmed its first case three weeks ago. Health officials said tests are happening statewide but counties with few or no cases should not feel they are not at risk but to assume COVID-19 is spreading everywhere in the state, even if it is undetected so far. ETA-IMO-I'm not really that interested in the amount of negative cases because depending on what kind of job and how much time those persons are spending out and about now they could still get the virus and need another test!

CHINA

BBQ skewer sales in three of China's northeastern provinces surged over 300 percent, hitting the six million mark, and public bathhouse visits in Jilin Province jumped 60-fold over the past week, according to data from online payment platform Alipay.

Despite the high figures, the information might not mean much to those unfamiliar with public bathhouses, but such data is seen as a reliable indicator of healthy economic activity within the country's traditional industrial base. And this time, they are indicators of how life is returning to normal after weeks of city-wide lockdowns due to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

In the northeastern region, going out for street BBQ and enjoying a hot bath is a time-honored tradition.

"When public baths and barbeque return to normal, it means long-lost happiness has finally arrived," said one netizen.

BBQ and bathhouses - normal life returns to China - Global Times

:eek::confused::confused::confused::(
We’re screwed.
People just -don’t -get -it

GEORGIA

"CROWDED TRAILS: Everyone’s feeling a little stir crazy, but that means a lot of people have the same idea to go hiking. In Cloudland Canyon State Park, park rangers had to shut down some trails and tell people to disperse because people weren’t social distancing. "
@FOX5Atlanta
VIDEO AT LINK. Alexa Liacko FOX 5 on Twitter

2ND VIDEO AT LINK. Alexa Liacko FOX 5 on Twitter

AUSTRALIA

A University of Sydney data study from the Faculty of Engineering has revealed that social distancing must be adopted by at least 80 percent of the Australian population to reduce the spread of COVID-19.

If social distancing measures were adopted by at least 80 percent of the Australian population, we could expect to see a control of the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic in just over three months, new research by the University of Sydney has found.

Led by Complex Systems academic and pandemic modelling expert, Professor Mikhail Prokopenko, the study also revealed that social distancing would be an unproductive measure if adopted by less than 70 percent of the population.

The research found that if 90 percent of the Australian population adopted social distancing, the spread of COVID-19 could be controlled by July 2020, whereas social distancing of less than 70 percent would not suppress the pandemic.

Australian Modeling Suggests COVID-19 Can Be Beaten in 13 Weeks With 80% Social Distancing | Technology Networks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member