Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ventilator 'rationing' begins in UK: Only patients with 'reasonable certainty' of survival are put on the machines at London hospital - as Britain's coronavirus death toll rises by 209 to 1,228 and infections jump by 2,483 to 19,522

Only patients with 'reasonable certainty' of survival are put on ventilators at London hospital | Daily Mail Online

#StayHomeSaveLives

This scares me. A lot.

Anyone else spending their birthday while in quarantine? Mine is coming up and I am up for suggestions.

It’s my Dad’s 84th birthday next week. I have a selection of parcels being sent out this week (with the usual,’put the boxes aside and wash your hands once you’ve touched them’ instructions) and we’ll open them *together* on the day, via phone.
He needs something to look forward to - we all do! - so we’ll be planning to having a real celebration when this nightmare has eased up.

They just want to be social. Some people really can't help it. Many of the elderly were brought up with far more sociality than in the younger generations. My dad went without fail to his Denny's every single morning. EVERY morning. For two hours. Then sometimes back in the evening, if he got hungry.

Every person in town would say howdy, or sit down with him and then he'd stand out in the parking lot and tell stories. Then go lurk around to see if the neighbors were coming out of their houses. All of this from a man who loved his job because he was the only one there. Once retired, he became something of a social butterfly (avoiding all organized events as far as possible but truly loving the de facto Senior Center that was Denny's). He have been so upset that it's closed right now.

This made me tear up. What a wonderful memory ❤️

My favorite healthy and simple quarantine breakfast these days:
(per each person)

At night,
1/2 cup of Rolled Oats
Pour your favorite milk or water, 1 cup or more depending on your taste. I use homemade cashew milk. Cover and soak overnight.

Next morning,
Microwave for 3 min (for my microwave oven), uncovered.
Toppings - sliced bananas, chopped apples, frozen blueberries, walnuts, cubed oranges, chopped dates, etc. Use your imagination. Yum!

Second this! I use almond milk and add either a drizzle of maple syrup or a swirl of peanut butter. Yum!

Coronavirus live updates: U.S. cases soar past 142,000, including more than 2,500 deaths
Update 12:39 a.m. EDT March 30: The number of novel coronavirus cases in the United States soared past 142,000 across all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands early Sunday.

According to researchers at Johns Hopkins University, there are at least 142,502 confirmed U.S. cases of the virus, which have resulted in at least 2,506 deaths. Worldwide, there are 722,435 confirmed cases and 33,997 deaths from the virus. U.S. cases outnumber those in any other nation, including the 97,689 reported in Italy and the 82,149 confirmed in China.

Of the confirmed deaths, 966 have occurred in New York, 200 in Washington state, 161 in New Jersey and 151 in Louisiana.

[...]

UTAH

Riverton mayor wants Utah to focus on coronavirus testing, not shelter in place orders
[...]

He [The Mayor of Riverton] supports social distancing, and the sick and vulnerable remaining at home, but said Utah should focus on testing dramatically more people for the virus. He made note of what he calls a lack of testing in a recent op-ed.

[...]

Staggs says the state should immediately start spending emergency money to test as many people as possible for COVID-19.

[...]

The mayor says Utah should take a lesson from South Korea, where a testing bonanza is credited with helping to contain the coronavirus. Staggs said:

[...]

Staggs told 2News he thinks at least one Utah company can make more tests in one day than the number of tests conducted so far in the state over the past two weeks.

That number, on Friday, was at least 9,000. By Sunday, nearly 14,000 Utahns had been tested for the virus.

ITALY

Italy coronavirus: Young Italian doctors fast-tracked to the pandemic frontline - CNN
Medical student Chiara Bonini, 26, had barely finished her final exam, before the young doctor was headed for the front line of Italy's coronavirus pandemic.

[...]

Bonini is one of thousands of Italian graduates taking up the government's call for urgent help tackling the deadliest outbreak of the virus in the world.
The European country hit the grim milestone over the weekend of 10,000 deaths, accounting for roughly a third of the 30,000-plus deaths worldwide.

[...]

ISRAEL

Netanyahu aide tests positive for coronavirus
An adviser to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu who met with the premier on Thursday has tested positive for the novel coronavirus, raising concerns that the prime minister may have been exposed himself.

Rivka Paluch, Netanyahu’s adviser on ultra-Orthodox affairs, tested positive hours after her husband was hospitalized with the virus.

[...]

Scott Gottlieb, MD on Twitter
Useful primer on the benefits of masks. A recommendation from CDC for consumers to wear cotton masks (with guidelines on how to fashion these products from household items) can improve safety and reduce spread and not strain the hospital supply chain.
11:06 PM - 29 Mar 2020

COVID-19: WHY WE SHOULD ALL WEAR MASKS  — THERE IS NEW SCIENTIFIC RATIONALE
The official recommendation in the United States (and other Western countries) that the public should not wear face masks was motivated by the need to save respirator masks for health care workers. There is no scientific support for the statement that masks worn by non-professionals are “not effective”. In contrary, in view of the stated goal to “flatten the curve”, any additional, however partial reduction of transmission would be welcome — even by surgical masks or home-made (DIY) masks, which would not exacerbate the supply problem. The latest biological findings on SARS-Cov-2 viral entry into human tissue and cough-droplet ballistics suggest that the major transmission mechanism are not fine aerosols but large droplets, and thus, warrant the wearing of surgical masks by everyone.

1*m_a-cX7BpzAOg5YpyDa_ZA.png

[...]

The curve flattens: Australia sees reduction in COVID-19 cases

8 hrs ago

The number of new cases of COVID-19 in Australia has dropped from a growth rate of 25 percent per day to nine percent, giving positive indications the country's rate of infection is slowing.
Chief Medical Officer Brendan Murphy said "we have had a somewhat slowing of the growth in epidemiology curve but it's not enough. We have to slow it further."

"The thing that's worrying us most is community transmission."
Health Minister Greg Hunt said it was an "early positive sign" Australia was moving in the "right direction" but emphasised it was "not the time to get complacent".

The reduction in cases indicated the government's increased measures were working but health personnel said there were no guarantees cases wouldn't spike again.

Scott Gottlieb, MD on Twitter
Useful primer on the benefits of masks. A recommendation from CDC for consumers to wear cotton masks (with guidelines on how to fashion these products from household items) can improve safety and reduce spread and not strain the hospital supply chain.
11:06 PM - 29 Mar 2020

COVID-19: WHY WE SHOULD ALL WEAR MASKS  — THERE IS NEW SCIENTIFIC RATIONALE
The official recommendation in the United States (and other Western countries) that the public should not wear face masks was motivated by the need to save respirator masks for health care workers. There is no scientific support for the statement that masks worn by non-professionals are “not effective”. In contrary, in view of the stated goal to “flatten the curve”, any additional, however partial reduction of transmission would be welcome — even by surgical masks or home-made (DIY) masks, which would not exacerbate the supply problem. The latest biological findings on SARS-Cov-2 viral entry into human tissue and cough-droplet ballistics suggest that the major transmission mechanism are not fine aerosols but large droplets, and thus, warrant the wearing of surgical masks by everyone.

1*m_a-cX7BpzAOg5YpyDa_ZA.png

[...]

can I just say how unhappy I am that experts are advising this now?
grrrrr.

Coronavirus live updates: Costco to temporarily change store hours
Costco to temporarily change store hours
[...]

Beginning Monday, all its warehouses will close at 6:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, and its gas stations will close at 7 p.m.

However, it said some specific locations’ hours would be different.

The wholesale giant said its weekend hours would remain the same.

For its members ages 60 and older and those with physical impairments, Costco has special operating hours from 8 a.m. to 9 a.m., Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays.

[...]

Costco
90671369_10158580374904947_1895915091212107776_o.png

Coronavirus Summary | March 29: Hospitals prepare for surge of COVID-19 cases
[...]

Hospitals are also showing ingenuity in findings ways to treat patients more efficiently, reduce exposure to staff and cut their “burn rate” of critical supplies, including masks, gloves and face shields. At Scripps Memorial La Jolla, the emergency department is using baby monitors to communicate from inside and outside negative pressure rooms where COVID-19 patients are treated.

The news comes as the number of COVID-19 patients in intensive care units doubled across the state, rising from 200 on Friday to 410 on Saturday. Despite the spike, Gov. Gavin Newsom said that “by comparison and contrast to other parts of this country, that number seems relatively modest.”

In San Diego County, the number of COVID-19 hospitalizations rose to 106 through Saturday, up from 96 on Friday. Patients in local intensive care units climbed to 47, five more than the day before.

[...]

Julio Rosas on Twitter
The U.S. Navy has released photos of the USNS Mercy taking in non-coronavirus patients in Los Angeles so shore-based hospitals can focus on treating COVID-19 cases.

: Cpl. Alexa Hernandez/Petty Officer 2nd Class Abigayle Lutz/Petty Officer 2nd Class Erwin Jacob Miciano

4:10 PM · Mar 29, 2020

CALIFORNIA - Bay Area

Coronavirus live updates: Bay Area counties look to extend shelter-in-place order through April
Total coronavirus cases:
6,300 in California, including 1,903 in the Bay Area.

[...]

10:40 p.m. Bay Area counties look to extend shelter-in-place directive: The Bay Area’s shelter-in-place order will be extended to May 1, San Francisco City Hall sources said Sunday evening -- with an announcement likely coming as soon as Monday. ...

[...]

10:00 p.m. Rock songwriter succumbs after contracting COVID-19: Alan Merrill, who wrote Joan Jett’s signature hit, “I Love Rock and Roll,” died Sunday in New York of complications from the coronavirus, his daughter announced on her Facebook account. ...

[...]

9:50 p.m: Kaiser speeds up test results for virus:
Kaiser Permanente says coronavirus tests conducted in Northern California are now returning results that can be reported within 24 hours because the tests are being conducted at the health system's in-house regional lab. ...

9:25 p.m. S.F. jail population down nearly 25% in anti-coronavirus moves: San Francisco has reduced its jail population by nearly 25% in March to create distance between inmates and staff and prevent the coronavirus from taking hold... ...criminal justice leaders in the city have been working to free inmates early and detain only the most dangerous people.

[...]

Can you imagine if in about 2 weeks after all medical personnel get a huge shipment of masks .
Then lo and behold we are all told not to go out in public without them!
I will be totally claustrophobic!
Feom what I gather, it'll happen.
Because I really don't want it to!
Moo

Snipped for brevity. BBM. Who would monitor this and where would they put these people during the 14-day quarantine?
I don't know if you've gotten an answer yet. And this really doesn't answer but gives a grasp on how Texas is doing it.
For Texas, their governor said any travelers from areas must report their "quarantine location" in a form to DPS. And there will be follow up visits from troopers to ensure people are following the quarantine order. Idk if they will do the same in Florida, but likely I assume.

With all respect.
We have a pandemic. Do we really need to discuss every single person testing positive?

IDAHO

Boise Target employee tests positive for the coronavirus
An employee at the Target on Milwaukee Street in Boise tested positive for COVID-19, according to the company.

Officials at Target did not state when the employee last worked at the store or what department they were in.

[...]

Target added that the employee is currently quarantined and is on paid sick leave.

[...]

Hanson added that employees were told that the employee last worked at the store on the weekend of March 21-22 and March 23. The positive test result came in on Thursday, he said.

He also tweeted about the situation on Sunday, where he said, "If one coworker has it, I’m sure a portion of the staff has it right now and just haven’t started showing symptoms. They are unknowingly spreading the virus because the staff has been kept in the dark as to who tested positive and how closely they worked with everyone."

[...]

A Republican state representative has filed a measure that would allow people and businesses to sue the governor if they feel emergency restrictions are unnecessary, too broad or last too long.

The legislation comes after Gov. Andy Beshear, a Democrat, has ordered many businesses across the state to be shut down or closed to in-person traffic during the coronavirus pandemic.

Rep. Savannah Maddox, a Republican from Dry Ridge and the measure’s sponsor, said in an email that it would protect Kentucky workers and business owners from government overreach.
Lawmaker Wants To Allow People To Sue Over Beshear's Coronavirus Orders
of course

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members