Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #41

Status
Not open for further replies.
US Navy captain pleads for help over outbreak

This looks serious.

"The captain of a US aircraft carrier carrying more than 4,000 crew has called for urgent help to halt a coronavirus outbreak on his ship.

Scores of people on board the Theodore Roosevelt have tested positive for the infection. The carrier is currently docked in Guam.

"We are not at war. Sailors do not need to die," Captain Brett Crozier wrote in a letter to the Pentagon.

Captain Crozier recommended quarantining the entire crew.

His letter was first reported in the San Francisco Chronicle before being confirmed by other outlets. The Chronicle said at least 100 sailors had contracted the coronavirus.

In the letter Captain Crozier said the outbreak on board could not be contained, with the spread now "ongoing and accelerating".

Cramped, communal conditions on vessels like the Theodore Roosevelt make imposing social distancing measures extremely difficult.

"Removing the majority of personnel from a deployed US nuclear aircraft carrier and isolating them for two weeks may seem like an extraordinary measure," Captain Crozier wrote.

"This is a necessary risk," he added."

More at link.

Exclusive: Captain of aircraft carrier with growing coronavirus outbreak pleads for help from Navy

Does anyone know how long CV lives on marijuana? Tia. A lot of people handle it, trimmers, budtenders, etc.

Also, if you smoke it and it has CV on it, I’m assuming the fire kills it? Or are you breathing it in? Probably a stupid stoner question but I need to know.

Tia for any input.

I saw on the vice channel that the horticulturalists wear masks inside the green house.

I was just going to post this: Oy Vay--- just when we thought the six foot rule was like the golden rule---

Yes! It is possible for coronavirus droplets of various sizes to be carried 23-28 feet. That does it! While the CDC “studies” the use of masks by the general public, my dh will be using our limited supply of N-95 masks, that we have on hand for wildfire smoke, when he goes to the store. And he will wash his face (his idea) in addition to his hands when he returns from the store. I am suddenly grateful that he’s a clean freak!

Last edited:
Does anyone know how long CV lives on marijuana? Tia. A lot of people handle it, trimmers, budtenders, etc.

Also, if you smoke it and it has CV on it, I’m assuming the fire kills it? Or are you breathing it in? Probably a stupid stoner question but I need to know.

Tia for any input.
I can’t find a single warning that smoking it in can infect you. The major concern is apparently people sharing devices (joints, bongs, whatever).

Two more questions, I really need to know if CV is killed in the freezer or not.

Also, can it live in soil?
An article was posted a few pages back when I was asking and it said it could possibly survive in a freezer between 3 days and two years. I'll see if I can find it again. They don't seem to know TBH.

Yes! It is possible for coronavirus droplets of various sizes to be carried 23-28 feet. That does it! While the CDC “studies” the use of masks by the general public, my dh will be using our limited supply of N-95 masks that we have on hand for wildfire smoke when he goes to the store. And he will wash his face (his idea) in addition to his hands when he returns from the store. I am suddenly grateful that he’s a clean freak!
The problem is, those N95 masks are supposed to be disposable. Is he planning on reusing them?

An article was posted a few pages back when I was asking and it said it could possibly survive in a freezer between 3 days and two years. I'll see if I can find it again. They don't seem to know TBH.
Freezing preserves viruses. That much is known and has been for a long time.
"Research into similar coronavirus strains has shown that, in general, coronaviruses are stable in freezing temperatures and have been shown to survive for up to two years at -20 degrees Celsius,” explained Dr. Mohamad Mooty, Department Chair, Infectious Diseases, Medical Subspecialty Institute, at Cleveland Clinic Abu Dhabi."
How long can coronaviruses survive in a freezer? Up to two years, warns expert

Last edited:
TY. Interesting. From your link.

"Given that studies on SARS-CoV and MERS-CoV, two recent coronavirus outbreaks, showed that viruses could survive for up to 72 hours at the average temperature of a fridge (4 degrees Celsius), Dr. Mooty said, “It is safe for us to assume that the virus responsible for COVID-19 might be similarly persistent.”

If the new coronavirus is as persistent as its predecessors, it could survive on surfaces in freezers long after authorities aim to have suppressed the pandemic – living on food packaging in a freezer, for example.

“While we do not know the specifics of how long this virus can survive on surfaces, it is best to be safe and act as though it is able to survive on surfaces in freezing temperatures for anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of years,” said Dr. Mooty."
Bumping for @margarita25.

Follow arrow back to find original link.

Coronavirus: 'matter of days' before Milton Keynes ice-rink is converted into emergency mortuary

An ice-rink in Milton Keynes will be turned into an emergency mortuary "in a matter of days", in order to cope with a rise in coronavirus-related deaths, the local authority has said.

Planet Ice in South Row will become a temporary facility in the event funeral directors are unable to hold bodies, according to Milton Keynes Council.

In a statement released on Tuesday, a spokesperson said: "We're working with the owners of Planet Ice to ready the rink as a precaution should it be needed to support local operations.

"Ice rinks elsewhere in the UK have previously been used as temporary mortuary facilities, as their existing infrastructure can typically be adapted faster and more effectively than other buildings."

So every time I open the fridge and freezer and touch something, even after wiping it down, it’s still grossing me out and I wash my hands in case there’s any surface exposure left. One report said wrt to cleaning grocery items to imagine it like cleaning glitter off a surface.

I’m just going to start transferring the food to my own containers Moo.

I will let the shelf stable items sit at the entrance for a few days. Then wipe them down. Then transfer them without cross contamination.

—-

I stayed up all night the other night transferring small servings of dry dog food to ziploc bags to freeze bc I bought a 60 lb bag that will take time to consume.

Well after I did that for HOURS, scoop by scoop, I realized it filled up my freezer.

Now I’m considering buying a mini freezer.

Not sure if you guys saw earlier but I was trying to disinfect my frozen vegetable bags by dipping them in a bleach water bath and thought it was brilliant til the bags filled up with bleach water. I didn’t know some bags had tiny holes in them.

@Trudie, yes imo appetite loss is related not only due to emotionally dread and stress, etc., but also not wanting to consume supplies, and frankly even handle them sometimes.

I was able to get a piece of brown meat delivered. Woohoo. :) Seriously, I’m grateful.

While this throws our lives up in the air, some elements are simplified in the sense there is a lot of prioritizing going on, financial, with supplies, etc.

Last edited:
Coronavirus: 'matter of days' before Milton Keynes ice-rink is converted into emergency mortuary

An ice-rink in Milton Keynes will be turned into an emergency mortuary "in a matter of days", in order to cope with a rise in coronavirus-related deaths, the local authority has said.

Planet Ice in South Row will become a temporary facility in the event funeral directors are unable to hold bodies, according to Milton Keynes Council.

In a statement released on Tuesday, a spokesperson said: "We're working with the owners of Planet Ice to ready the rink as a precaution should it be needed to support local operations.

"Ice rinks elsewhere in the UK have previously been used as temporary mortuary facilities, as their existing infrastructure can typically be adapted faster and more effectively than other buildings."

I've just read about this. I mean, it's both genius and grim all at the same time.

The problem is, those N95 masks are supposed to be disposable. Is he planning on reusing them?

Yes, he will have to reuse them, just like the healthcare workers. But he will take extra precautions putting them on and taking them off. Fortunately, he doesn’t go out every day, and we have a small stash of maybe 6-10 in our various go-bags. Better than nothing. :(

Ditto with my Oregon post. I purposely didn’t start an Oregon thread because I didn’t want to feel responsible for maintaining it. I know of only three Oregonians here offhand. I liked knowing what’s going on in other areas and I assumed (incorrectly?) that my one of two Oregon news posts each day might be of interest to others and don’t clutter up the thread. It seems the posts could be posted here and just be duplicated on the “official” state threads for those who only want to read about their area.
JMO
Snipped

I'm on the east coast but I have a niece in Portland. I very much appreciate your Oregon posts!

I’ve washed my hands so much I now have a series of small cuts at the base of my thumbs. This is something I only realised just now, as I squeezed a lime and nearly went through the roof with the pain.
You have to use hand cream if you wash your hands often. Thankfully I got lots of different hand creams and use them all the time.

Anyone else not eating? I noticed it has been coming on the past week. Nothing sounds good. I would rather sleep through lunch than bother with it. I need to lose weight, so maybe this is a good thing.
Same here, and I drink two cups of coffee a day now, one in the morning and one in the afternoon, its become a new habit...the afternoon one...and it doesn't seem to interfere with my sleep at all. I think I'd rather drink the coffee than eat...but I have about one small meal a day, can't seem to eat much more than that.
Call me surprised as before all this I was a cooking fiend, even though I live alone, I cooked all the time and ate all the time...I do make a loaf of bread a week and get fresh stuff delivered, but what a difference now.
Speaking of living alone (got my dog for company) there are so many times I am glad I do not have a partner in my life...and this is one of them. I can do as I please, stay in my jammies all day if I want, only worry about my son who is married and lives across town, but we check in each day...and not worry about arguing, fighting, someone not being clean and hygienic, just a nice sense of calm.
I have been married and divorced more than a few times, always seem to have a boyfriend in the picture, but wow...so glad to have neither right now!
There is always the single men online...Ha ha...I hear they are chatting up dozens and dozens of women and vice versa...not into that right now, but its an option if I start feeling "lonely" ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member