Grocery shopping tips during Coronavirus quarantine

Status
Not open for further replies.
if I don’t have baking powder, I DEF don’t have cream of tartar to substitute :D Jokes aside, I totally agree and am trying to limit my shopping trips and use what I have in the house. I organized my freezer today purposely to see what I’m working with. My only concern is risking running too low on food and supplies and then there’s shortages, rationing, or something like that. I know it’s just paranoia, but I wouldn’t be surprised if other feel the same way.​

I think we all feel that way. I know I sure do. Every time I look in the fridge or cupboard, I am calculating.

Rsbm Every time I look in the fridge or cupboard, I am calculating.

Omg I know what you mean. Exactly.

I have half a roll of paper towels left and just a little milk.

:panic:

That’s okay. It’s not the end of the world if I don’t have paper towels. I’m grateful that I have the other things I have. I will just cut up some old t-shirts to use as rags to wipe the counters, etc.

As I mentioned early on, it is SO important to ration and conserve what we can in order to minimize our trips and delivery/supply issues, etc., as well as maximize our $.

Last edited:
If you’re wanting to save your gloves, you can use plastic grocery bags. I always keep a stash in the door pouch.

If you can't find gloves, look in the baby department for those tiny bags (they're like miniature plastic shopping bags) that are intended for disposal of diapers, or the pet department for doggy doo bags.

If you can't find gloves, look in the baby department for those tiny bags (they're like miniature plastic shopping bags) that are intended for disposal of diapers, or the pet department for doggy doo bags.

Also there are food prep gloves. They’re very thin and basically thin film wrap but might be worth a shot to check for those too. There flimsy and don’t stay on well. I use them when I’m handling raw meat and have to be very careful or they will slip off.

Man, I hate to recommend crappy gloves that don’t work well :D

Desperate times...

That’s okay. It’s not the end of the world if I don’t have paper towels. I’m grateful that I have the other things I have. I will just cut up some old t-shirts to use as rags to wipe the counters, etc.

As I mentioned early on, it is SO important to ration and conserve what we can minimize to minimize our trips and delivery/supply issues, etc., as well as maximize our $.

exactly I just made a slow cooker meal with eggplant which in different times probably would've ended up in the garbage ... I'm really trying hard not to waste anything

exactly I just made a slow cooker meal with eggplant which in different times probably would've ended up in the garbage ... I'm really trying hard not to waste anything

Same here. I made this “survival slop” which was so bad I could barely eat it lol - That in itself though helped ration. :D

Last edited:
Diaper Genie or equivalent available for non flushable products. Most wipes not really flushable either. If unsure call your plumber MOO Thanks @Teche unable to quote post . Gotta be a bit creative

Last edited:
“Freezing is a really amazing way of preserving our food because you don't have to use chemical preservatives,” Dr McMillan said.

“It’s actually one of the oldest means of preserving foods [...] I think we under-utilise the freezer in today’s age where we think everything that’s fresh is better for us and it’s actually not the truth.”

Leftovers that freeze well include pasta bakes, soups, stews, casseroles and lasagne.

Foods that you can freeze
-Bread, either as a whole loaf, slices or in breadcrumbs
-Grated cheese
-Cooked pasta (some recommend slightly under-cooked pasta is best to avoid soggy texture when defrosting)
-Nuts
-Flour (and you can use this directly from the freezer)
-Butter
-Grated cheese
-Peeled bananas
-Herbs
-Stock
-Eggs, if cracked into containers
-Meat, raw or cooked
-Wine
-Bananas
-Berries
-Soup, casserole and most other cooked leftovers - but double check online if you are unsure
Milk - though as it will expand, you mustn't store it in a glass bottle. The texture and taste may also be slightly affected upon defrosting

Foods that you can't or shouldn't freeze
-Dishes with crumb toppings (as they will go soggy)
-Sour cream or any other cream-based products
-Salad greens
-Raw fruits and veg (as the texture may go soggy when defrosted)
-Potatoes (these will also go mushy when defrosted)
-Cans of food
-Mayo, as it'll separate
Can you freeze milk? common items you can and can't freeze - from cheese to potatoes and eggs

I think we all feel that way. I know I sure do. Every time I look in the fridge or cupboard, I am calculating.
everytime I look at my wine fridge I'm calculating... but liquor stores are essential here and they offer pick up - everything is packed and ready you just show your ID and sign a slip - hand sanitizer by the door for the way in and the way out - and they have plastic sneeze guards in place already. I wish grocery stores would do this - I'm worried about the cashiers and baggers.
JMO

Hmmm. I will have to see if I can dig up my safety glasses for shooting. I have some wrap around motorcycle style sunglasses similar to this:

s-l1000.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcyc...m-Padded-Sunglasses-Fit-Over-RX-/300637252781

The last time I went to the store I wore those sunglasses with an N-95 mask, rubber gloves and a headscarf to cover my hair (wrapped similarly to the way Muslim women wear a hijab). Few people were wearing masks and everyone stared at me like I was an alien. I was thinking it might be the unusual headscarf, mask and the sunglasses combo, LOL. The sunglasses also reduced my vision in dimly lit corners of the store and the headscarf was way too warm to wear out in the summer-- I was roasting by the time I was done shopping! So I've been thinking about alternative head gear. Here's another, more fashionable, one I could easily make at home but I also question how effective it would be and how to clean it:

MOO.

problem with all these gear set ups is that upon exiting the store, you need to remove them and stow them for clean up without contaminating yourself. In a health care setting, you would be right by a sink, but coming out of your grocery store, you are just going into your car which you also might contaminate. Have not covered my face yet...am thinking dish towel with a clip, and easy to remove into a bag and wash at home.

As I mentioned early on, it is SO important to ration and conserve what we can in order to minimize our trips and delivery/supply issues, etc., as well as maximize our $.

I take a somewhat reverse approach to things. Keep in mind I am a household of one.

Right now, I use tp only for #2, and use washcloths etc for #1.

Right now, I do not use paper towels at all, opting for rags, cloth napkins or dishtowels depending on the nature of the mess.

Right now, I do not use tissues, preferring handkerchiefs.

HOWEVER -- I have a pack of paper towels, a 3-pack of tissues as well as extra tp in my stash, but they are all for in case I get sick (with anything -- cold, flu, covid, doesn't matter). If I am sick, I will want the heightened hygiene of disposables, as well as the reduced labor of laundering the reusables. But as long as I am well, I'll keep on with the reusables, saving my stash for another day.

YMMV of course, but this works for me.

Kudos to my kid today. 4 store locations as mentioned in my earlier post. (in SW FL) She got everything put away, grabbed a snack and went to get my tire fixed. It was beyond repair. How the heck do you get a big piece of metal in your tire and not know it?! Anyway, she researched tires, spoke to the service guy 2-3 times trying to find me an affordable tire. 2.5 hours later she returns with 2 new tires along with an alignment on my Honda Pilot for $404 and a migraine. No extra charge. She jumped in the shower and went to bed at 5:00pm. I made her a pan of her favorite cornbread. No gluten, dairy or eggs. Just in case you want the recipe:

GF DF EF Cornbread

1 cup gluten free all purpose flour
3/4 cup white corn meal
3 tablespoons regular sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
Stir together.

1 tablespoon egg replacer (mixed with 2 tablespoons water, stir)
1/3 cup melted vegan butter
2/3 cup Flax Milk
Stir together.

Mix dry ingredients with wet ingredients. If too thick, add a little more milk. Spray an 8x8 baking dish and bake at 425 about 20 minutes.

people are asking why automotive is "essential"- I think you answered that

I just sent in a Sprouts order.
It should be here Friday morning.
Other than running low on cilantro and some chicken, I really don't need anything. Just stocking up.,
Craving a bagel.

had monstrous bagel cravings last week

am aware how used I was to shopping "whenever"
however, l am also aware that I could not easily go 2 mos with no
grocery trips. first they said "stock up for 14 days in case
you are quarantined"... now we have a shut down from mid March
to probably at least mid May.

So...why the shortages? At the beginning it was because of all the panic buying but well its been a couple of weeks and it seems like the shortages are sort of sticking around...so are we not producing enough food or is it a distribution problem, not enough distribution or what? I did not participate in the panic buying cuz this forum, bought my stuff slowly over the past couple months...with the idea if I had to hunker down because of a quarantine, we'd be ok, but now, well it seems like something scarier is going on. But then I am an easily spooked horse. I guess I can handle doing all I can about the disease but still ending up with it, but I really am not interested in a Mad Max world, I like civilization actually, oh not that it couldn't use some serious changes but it'd be nicer if we sort of rolled them in slowly? Anyways.

I just posted before- originaly, they told us to "stock up for 14 days in case you get sick or are thought to be exposed," and you have to home quarantine. Now we have had a shut down since mid March and they are saying "maybe back in mid-May." Two months is different than "maybe 2 weeks." Also, suddenly people who could "grab lunch at work," or "grab breakfast on the way to work," are home and kids who used to eat at school or college are home. Suddenly everyone is needing more food and supplies all the time. A nearby grocery store here used to have two full freezer doors of fozen potatoes: fries, breaded fries, smiles, waffle fries, 2o different brands, house brands, etc. Last time I was there, they had a total of three bags of frozen potato products. People are storing and eating at home. Restaurants are closed or take out only.

problem with all these gear set ups is that upon exiting the store, you need to remove them and stow them for clean up without contaminating yourself. In a health care setting, you would be right by a sink, but coming out of your grocery store, you are just going into your car which you also might contaminate. Have not covered my face yet...am thinking dish towel with a clip, and easy to remove into a bag and wash at home.

Here's what I did today: I wore a big brimmed gardening hat with my hair pulled up into a bun inside the hat, my wrap-around sunglasses, N-95 mask, a light scarf to cover the mask and rubber gloves. I only had my debit card and my key fob for the car in my pocket. I parked next to a cart coral and took a cart into the store that had been sitting outside in the sunshine. There were no wipes in the store near the door and I didn't want to waste the few I had with me to wipe the cart, but I'm hoping getting a cart that has been outside for a while will mean less chance of virus on it. And I had gloves on my hands anyway.

When I returned to the car with my groceries I left my gloves on and used the key fob to unlock the car (read on before you freak out). I opened the trunk and placed my bags on a blanket I had spread out as a barrier between the bags and the car. Then I returned the cart to the corral and opened my drivers side door, only touching the outside handle with my gloves. I stood outside the car with the door open. Before touching anything inside my car I removed my gloves inside out the way a nurse does. I had a bottle of hand sanitizer, wipes and clean empty grocery bags in my car door. I placed the inside out gloves inside a bag, removed my hat, sunglasses, scarf, and mask and placed them all into a second bag. Without touching anything in my car I placed the bags of contaminated items on the floor on the passengers side. Then I used hand sanitizer on my hands. Then I removed a wipe and wiped down my key fob and my debit card and sanitized my hands again for good measure. Then I got into my car and drove home.

I was careful not to touch my face the entire time. When I got home I put on a fresh pair of gloves and took a wipe and wiped the outside handle of my car as well as the trunk where I had touched to open it. Then I used wipes to clean anything cold that needed to be put away right away. As I cleaned the items from the trunk I placed the clean items onto a clean counter in my kitchen to dry. I cleaned all the cold items and unbagged all the rest of the groceries and left anything that is shelf stable in the car. Fortunately we are having mild weather and it won't get too hot this week. To save on wipes I'm leaving everything non-perishable in the car for 3 days. This won't work when it gets hotter but I'll figure that out when we get there. I removed my second pair of gloves and washed my hands before touching my fridge or freezer to put away the cold items. I threw the used gloves away, hung my mask on a nail in my garage, washed my glasses in hot soapy water and put my hat and scarf directly into the washing machine along with all the clothing I was wearing. Then I washed my hands again, closed the washing machine door and showered and put on clean clothes.

I'm exhausted now. It's not a perfect system but I did the best I could to clean anything before it came into my house, washed my hands frequently and tried not to touch my face. I can't wait for someone to invent a pass through grocery washer that I can install between my garage and kitchen. LOL. I'm thinking something like one those industrial dishwashers that you run the dishes through on a conveyor belt would work, only with a UV light system instead of strong blasts of water. Wouldn't it be nice to put all the groceries on a tray and push it through some UV rays or misting sanitizer and come out clean on the other side? :p

I had a successful shopping trip today as far as finding food goes. No toilet paper, no paper towel, no wipes of any kind, no hand sanitizer found. I bought a package of paper napkins to use in place of paper towels which we are almost out of. We can ration our toilet paper another couple weeks. I really only use paper towel to cover things in the microwave anyway so a paper napkin will work for that. I use spray cleaner and cloth kitchen towels for wiping counters and microfiber towels for other cleaning. The exciting thing was that my store had meat again! They started limiting people to only 2 packages of each kind of meat (2 chicken, 2 pork, 2 beef items, etc). I got 2 ground beef, 2 ground lamb, 2 ground turkey, and 2 packages of fresh chicken breasts. I wanted to get a ham for Easter but they only had one brand and it was one I knew we didn't like when we got it in the past. I'll have to check another store or maybe we will skip the ham this year. Also, we normally only buy grassfed beef and there was none of that. I bit the bullet and bought what they had. I'm afraid it will be a long time before we see grassfed beef again. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. I did manage to get organic chicken which is a good sign. I also noted that the store had duck (whole and individual breasts), goose, quail, and a limited supply of whole turkeys. If I can't find a small ham elsewhere maybe we will start a new Easter tradition and have a fancy bird meal instead. :D

MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member