Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #43

Status
Not open for further replies.
More from @Snoods link:

Three convicted child rapists released from N.Y. prison during coronavirus outbreak: Report

“Patrick Phelan, the Greece chief of police, told the news outlet that releasing the sex offenders “doesn’t make any sense.”

“If you could present an argument to me that makes sense, I’m willing to listen. But this doesn’t make any sense,” Chief Phelan told WIVB.”

[...]

“In a statement released to the news channel, the Department of Corrections and Community Services said the decision to release inmates was based on the “underlying technical violation, not the original crime.”

ETA: What the hell does that even mean? “Underlying technical violation not the original crime...”

ETA2: Maybe @Tricia can post the above article on WS Facebook and everyone share it? That would be a huge start.

I’m an action kind of person. We can’t just “talk about it”. What are we going to DO about it? We have a “window of opportunity” here to stop this from happening further.

There are other options. People need jobs. Build Covid safe Isolation unit prisons, do something! Get ahead of this situation!

Last edited:
5 things to know for April 3: Coronavirus, health, economy, election, Zoom - CNN

1. Coronavirus

There are now more than 1 million cases of Covid-19 worldwide, but some fear that reporting issues and the presence of asymptomatic cases could mean the number is actually much, much higher. ...

[...]

2. Health
The US Food and Drug Administration has authorized the first antibody test that looks for a coronavirus response in blood. The test can't identify fresh cases of the virus but could help doctors understand how prevalent it is by identifying past cases that had few or no symptoms. Meanwhile, experts have told the White House the coronavirus may be spread via talking or even breathing, as opposed to just sneezing or coughing. Such a development could accelerate the government's plan to recommend face masks for public use. Speaking of equipment, President Trump has invoked the Defense Production Act, a wartime law that lets the government direct industrial production. In this case, it will be used to supply more ventilators and N95 masks to medical professionals.

[...]

3. World economy
The European Commission has proposed a new $109 billion relief initiative to support the millions of Europeans left without a job because of the coronavirus crisis. ...

[...]

4. Election 2020
The Democratic National Convention has been pushed back from July to the week of August 17 in an inevitable but logistically nightmarish decision due to the coronavirus crisis. ...

[...]

5. Zoom
Zoom, the video call service getting millions of people through their work-from-home routines, is facing serious security questions. ...

[...]

POSITIVE NEWS from the Heinsberg area in Germany, also known as Germany's Wuhan.

Scientist casts doubt on how coronavirus is spread | Daily Mail Online

A leading scientist has cast doubts on how the coronavirus is spreading across the globe as a team of experts prepare to head out to a village that has been dubbed 'Germany's Wuhan', where they hope to unlock vital information about the bug.

Prof Hendrik Streeck, director of the Institute of Virology at the University Hospital in Bonnhas, said Covid-19 might not be spread as easily as people first believed.

Research conducted by Prof Streeck in one of Germany's worst-hit regions showed that the home of one infected family did not have 'any live virus on any surface', adding even more questions as to how the virus is spread from person to person.

The small village of Heinsberg, next to the Dutch border, is Germany's worst-hit area and is home to the country's most serious Covid-19 outbreak.

Prof Streeck said the virus had not even been found on door knobs or animal fur.

He told German TV that there had been 'no proven infections while shopping or at the hairdressers'

'The virus spreads in other places: the party in Ischgl, the club in Berlin, the football game in Bergamo.

'We know it's not a smear infection that is transmitted by touching objects, but that close dancing and exuberant celebrations have led to infections.'

He said Germany's patient zero had only infected her colleagues and not other guests or diners at the hotel she had been staying at.

BBM

Germany sent in the scientists almost immediately and they took samples everywhere. Heinsberg is near where I live, I do a lot of shoppin g in the area, and I will happily continue to do so, though still with gloves ;)

"He was also battling a major UTI and then he had sepsis," said Donna Trotter,.

Donna said says he's also entered the early stages of dementia.

Public Service Announcement for Seniors or those caring for/about them: Sometimes a UTI can cause confusion that mimics dementia in the elderly. It happened to my Mom. A friend’s husband knows she has a UTI before she does because she gets confused. My MIL let UTI go too long, got sepsis and died. :( Nothing to mess with!

A UTI can cause confusion and other symptoms of dementia in older adults. Taking preventive steps and looking out for UTI symptoms should help prevent infection. If your doctor diagnoses a UTI early, your outlook is good.

Antibiotics cure most UTIs. Without treatment, a UTI can spread to the kidneys and the bloodstream. This may lead to a life-threatening blood infection. Severe infections may require hospitalization for intravenous antibiotics. These can take weeks to resolve.

Get medical attention if you suspect that you or a loved one has a UTI.

Can a UTI Cause Confusion in the Elderly?

@KALI I agree, that a garden is probably an excellent plan. Sorry that you had tension in your home, you probably aren't the only one.

@Snoods the trend of releasing prisoners is disturbing. Especially as, in the confusion, some very bad people could be out and about. No wonder gun sales are skyrocketing.

We may have some rough times ahead, but I don't see a grim, dystopian future. School will start back in the Fall. Every thing will get back to a new, different type of "normal".

Hi Mickey...
It feels like a grim future to me if they let out child rapists - if there’s one thing we know here it is to watch the trends. I am very very concerned more states and NY prisons are going to do this.

Good morning everyone btw. Sorry to shout in your ears first thing in the morning o_O

Seriously, this is WS so we are all on the same page here hopefully. Iirc, there was a WS radio show a long time ago where @Tricia and Mark Klaas we’re discussing the release of California sex offenders due to some changes in law.

I know there’s so much we can’t control...:(. But if other states know that this could be a problem maybe they could start building different facilities, or something....

It’s all about trying to get ahead of the situation. As Dr. Fauci and Cuomo have said, “we’re always behind when it comes to an epidemic”...

Well let’s get ahead of this situation. I know the Governors and everybody are really busy right now as we are in the middle of a global health crisis and PPE shortage but...

What about military bases, put the prisoners there and build new bases...idk do something!!

I just posted yesterday about outbreaks in Denver jails...

Well again, nonviolent is one thing, but child rapists in prison? Aw hell no.

Going back to catch up in the other thread and also watch a week’s worth of WHO conferences. I look forward to hearing what the hell we are going to do about this.

Last edited:
Scotland

46 more people have died in the last 24 hours. The total number of people who have lost their lives to the virus is 172.

176 people are in intensive care with coronavirus or coronavirus symptoms, and increase of 14 on yesterday.

Total number of positive cases is 3001.

Source Sky News U.K

Check this out. China hoards 2 billion face masks
EDITED: grammar.

Next, maybe offensive to some post:

I smiled when I read about nurse using her bra cup as a mask. I think from earlier reading here today. So I’m moving forward with the idea, really? ...
Then I put it up to my face, perfect fit. I’ll cut it up and let you all know tomorrow how it works out.
But I think I better embellish it somehow so it’s not so OBVIOUSLY a cut up bra cup! Lol.
quite honestly.... the funny piks early on were not funny to me...it just seemed like a truly good idea.......... I really expected to see the walmarts of the world start giving them away... and promoting their use

A little brightness. My Dad is 84 on Sunday. He has never exactly embraced technology. Now that he is registered blind, and in view of the fact he’s socially distancing alone, I really wanted to set him up with Alexa - his response to that was, “if I need to know anything, CeeCeeCat, I just call you. I don’t need a spying machine thank you” lol. Anyway, he just called me very excited, to tell me he’s chairing a Macular meeting next week and has set up a conference call with 45 attendees. I’m so proud of him ❤️

Love this so much. Thanks for sharing. :)

@margarita25 A separate thread to discuss this would be good. I have the same concerns about UK prisons. And where will this end? Will they start looking at people like Chris Watts, decide he’s unlikely to reoffend and off he goes? I know, I know that’s a bad example - but look at the type of offender already being released. :mad: It’s beyond appalling.

You know it’s ironic you mention Watts bc I thought about him. I know you were just using him as an example to talk about where they start drawing the line and likelihood to reoffend, etc... He’s in Wisconsin right? Surely they wouldn’t let him out, but then again you wouldn't think they’d be letting out child rapists either. Hopefully they will not let anyone out who is convicted of murder. Please tell me this won’t happen.

You know, as one who is local to the Watts case...back in the day I talked about going to his court hearings and throwing stones while wearing my giraffe mask... ( @MsBetsy lol ) Well now this analogy seems metaphorically frightening considering “masks” are at play - I know you weren’t saying CW specifically but right, like you said, where do they draw the line? Certainly not at child rapists.

Anyway, done with venting about this, I know that was a lot of ranting.

Last edited:
Now another infected ship headed to Florida...

The ship is headed to Fort Lauderdale, Florida, where two Holland America ships, the MS Rotterdam and MS Zaandam, also hope to dock. Between those two ships, 233 people have reported flu-like symptoms.

Coronavirus: Coral Princess headed to Florida with COVID-19 on board
Mixed feelings on this. American citizens have a right to disembark. The others? No. But, I do have empathy for all passengers. On the other side of the coin, why did these passengers go on a cruise when the virus was known? Makes me nearly as angry as the spring break kids in FL.

POSITIVE NEWS from the Heinsberg area in Germany, also known as Germany's Wuhan.

Scientist casts doubt on how coronavirus is spread | Daily Mail Online

Germany sent in the scientists almost immediately and they took samples everywhere. Heinsberg is near where I live, I do a lot of shoppin g in the area, and I will happily continue to do so, though still with gloves ;)

I frankly don't believe this. It really contradicts what was reported about it spreading here in the US. We know it spread to nearly everyone at choir practice. We know it spread at conventions, churches, birthday celebrations, family dinners. It also spread widely on many cruise ships, even after passengers were ordered to stay in their cabins.

Mixed feelings on this. American citizens have a right to disembark. The others? No. But, I do have empathy for all passengers. On the other side of the coin, why did these passengers go on a cruise when the virus was known? Makes me nearly as angry as the spring break kids in FL.
It is a bit concerning for Florida residents that has a governor who finally signed a stay at home order for the state after much, much pressure, but still allowing religious services and still not closing beaches. You have to wonder if Florida is prepared to handle this epidemic, especially with all the elderly people in South Florida where these ships dock,

There are still many ships out there (maybe 25) with six thousand passengers.

This should have been common knowledge weeks ago.
ab.so.lute.ly. Seriously, with all the community spread with people with no travel or known interaction with an infected person. We had enough information coming from other countries regarding "super spreaders", wearing masks, airborne, asymptomatic people. It has all been out there in February, maybe even earlier. I just am so humbled by what we should have done, what we could have done.

View attachment 241574

Great-grandmother, 99, becomes oldest Briton to beat coronavirus as her family joke her recovery is down to diet of marmalade and biscuits

Great-grandmother Rita Reynolds fell ill last Wednesday, March 25 and, after she tested positive for the virus, the family were told to expect the worst as her condition worsened.

Rita, from Bramhall in Stockport, was kept comfortable by staff at Abbeyfield care home as end of life drugs were ordered.

But against all odds the near-centenarian fought back and yesterday (Tuesday) district nurses declared she had recovered

Bramhall great-grandmother, 99, becomes oldest Briton to beat coronavirus | Daily Mail Online

I’m so glad Rita has survived and recovered.
What a lovely story and biography... I just don't get how her recovery was so so quick... only one week. That is weird to me..

A little brightness. My Dad is 84 on Sunday. He has never exactly embraced technology. Now that he is registered blind, and in view of the fact he’s socially distancing alone, I really wanted to set him up with Alexa - his response to that was, “if I need to know anything, CeeCeeCat, I just call you. I don’t need a spying machine thank you” lol. Anyway, he just called me very excited, to tell me he’s chairing a Macular meeting next week and has set up a conference call with 45 attendees. I’m so proud of him ❤️

A story that will live with your family for generations to come... so proud you should be!!!

The cruise lines were still advertising. That was a huge mistake. I know everyone was in such a daze in February, but cruise ships KNOW they can be hot beds for spreading disease. I know two couples who were struggling back at the end of February as to whether to go or not go. Thank heavens they both decided to not travel. They would have been on the Vandaam, and thank heavens they are here at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Krusty2009