Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #49

Status
Not open for further replies.
In reply to @otto too, after reading this article in John Hopkins magazine, I don't think they have increased immunity

When it comes to immunity, there's a very big difference between influenza and COVID-19. With influenza, because of previous infections and vaccinations, there's always a percentage of the population that is immune to infection—so they're protected and won't get the flu that year. And there's an even larger percentage of the population that has some immunity—not perfect immunity, so you'll still get infected, but enough so that your symptoms will be relatively mild.

With COVID-19, to our knowledge, there's no one in the human population who has any level of immunity to the virus. So the percentage of people who are susceptible to COVID-19 is essentially 100%, whereas with influenza the percentage is significantly less than 100%. That's one of the reasons why some of the stringent public health measures are being put into place. There really is nothing else that can prevent this virus from spreading in the population outside of public health interventions like social distancing. It's the lack of immunity in the population that is making people so susceptible.

COVID-19: IMMUNITY AND SEASONALITY

Johns Hopkins immunologist Andrew Pekosz discusses urgent questions about the coronavirus now infecting nearly 750,000 worldwide, including whether anyone is immune to the virus and whether it will ebb in warmer months

COVID-19: Immunity and seasonality

darn I was really hoping some of our elderly had a good luck charm in the form of some immunity

Go ahead GA...we are all watching....how can you social distance as a massage therapist, nail tech or hairdresser, tatooist? Who would be stupid enough to go to a movie theater for 2+ hours with a bunch of other folks, even if you don't sit next to them, what if someone coughs...oh I guess that wont happen..right? Gyms? Whenever I used to go to the Y...I caught so many colds from that place, no matter how well I wiped the machines...it just bred germs! This is utterly insane...MOO

Gov. Kemp: Some shuttered Georgia businesses can reopen Friday

Kemp announced that gyms, fitness centers, bowling alleys, body art studios, barbers, cosmetologists, hair designers, nail care artists, estheticians and massage therapists can reopen their doors on Friday, April 24 — as long as owners follow strict social distancing and hygiene requirements.`

By Monday, April 27, movie theaters may resume selling tickets and restaurants limited to takeout orders can go back to limited dine-in service.

My grandmother grew up in Philadelphia at this time and remember hearing her tell stories how people would collapse in the street. Her family came over from Poland after some of her siblings and father died in an epidemic. I have never found any info on an epidemic in Europe around that time which would have been in 1908.

It looks like the plague and cholera were both in Poland in 1908. I'm trying to find a link that doesnt need a download. Sorry.

Go ahead GA...we are all watching....how can you social distance as a massage therapist, nail tech or hairdresser, tatooist? Who would be stupid enough to go to a movie theater for 2+ hours with a bunch of other folks, even if you don't sit next to them, what if someone coughs...oh I guess that wont happen..right? Gyms? Whenever I used to go to the Y...I caught so many colds from that place, no matter how well I wiped the machines...it just bred germs! This is utterly insane...MOO

Kemp announced that gyms, fitness centers, bowling alleys, body art studios, barbers, cosmetologists, hair designers, nail care artists, estheticians and massage therapists can reopen their doors on Friday, April 24 — as long as owners follow strict social distancing and hygiene requirements.`

By Monday, April 27, movie theaters may resume selling tickets and restaurants limited to takeout orders can go back to limited dine-in service.

Wow. They will regret this decision IMO.

That's drastic. Jmo

DH got a "Get out of jail free" card from Health Dept this morning. They sent a letter asking him to call, which he did. They told him he is free to move about the house and yard...and he also could go to his office where he plans to start back with phone and tele-counseling. He drove himself over for a few hours already and is there now. Feels good to be moving in a positive direction.

On a touching note, when he called some clients, they actually broke down in tears hearing his voice. No one had heard from him in almost 3 weeks. He is loved and they missed him. He missed them too and said hearing their voices was a total uplift.

bbm.
..what?

Boston is letting residents get tested at their discretion, when there is an extreme shortage of tests. We are in a stay at home order. If think you have COVID, you should call your doctor and follow his/her instructions. Otherwise, we are trying to let the virus extinguish by not intermixing, so personal decisions on testing seem wasteful.

In a shortage of tests, I would think that tests would be used to identify those with symptoms, used on front liners, or in population studies for research. But shouldn't they be stockpiled otherwise, for when they can be better used, as in after the-stay-at home order is lifted?

DH got a "Get out of jail free" card from Health Dept this morning. They sent a letter asking him to call, which he did. They told him he is free to move about the house and yard...and he also could go to his office where he plans to start back with phone and tele-counseling. He drove himself over for a few hours already and is there now. Feels good to be moving in a positive direction.

On a touching note, when he called some clients, they actually broke down in tears hearing his voice. No one had heard from him in almost 3 weeks. He is loved and they missed him. He missed them too and said hearing their voices was a total uplift.

Very happy news!

Boston is letting residents get tested at their discretion, when there is an extreme shortage of tests. We are in a stay at home order. If think you have COVID, you should call your doctor and follow his/her instructions. Otherwise, we are trying to let the virus extinguish by not intermixing, so personal decisions on testing seem wasteful.

In a shortage of tests, I would think that tests would be used to identify those with symptoms, used on front liners, or in population studies for research. But shouldn't they be stockpiled otherwise, for when they can be better used, as in after the-stay-at home order is lifted?

Jmo they are better used now. You need to ramp up testing to get a feel for hotspots and overall infection rate. If you don't know how well you're handling those things, it's difficult to proceed.

Wow. They will regret this decision IMO.
It sounds like he is going to thin the herd! He knows we haven't even peaked yet, but we have open hospital beds, so....
Be safe out there y'all!

"Kemp said with the reopenings he expected cases of the virus to increase, but believed that the state would be able to stay on top of it with increased hospital capacity. State officials would also be on the lookout for any possible hot spots for the virus."

"These are tough decisions, no doubt. And I will have to make more of them," Kemp said, adding that he didn't "give a damn about politics right now" when asked what the political impact of his decisions might be."
Kemp: Restaurants, other businesses to reopen in Georgia amid COVID-19 fight

I'd love to know the answer to that too @otto .
My parents were 8 and 10 years old during the 1918 pandemic and survived. So-far-so-good for me, although I always pick up a bad respiratory infection while traveling, so don't think my immune system is all that great.

Very cool! My father was 2 years old during the 1918 pandemic. He was so sick that they didn't think he would make it, and finally he was able to keep strawberries down - strawberries saved his life. He also had malaria. Hopefully there's some genetic immunity to some of the emerging deadly diseases.

I suspect that more will be known in the next month.

China's new COVID-19 hotspot on the Russian border raises tensions between two allies

“On Sunday, local Russian media reported 6,060 confirmed new cases of the virus in 24 hours, bringing the country's total to 42,853 with 361 fatalities.

"The shutdown of borders between the two countries has demonstrated the awkward situation China fac
China's new COVID-19 hotspot on the Russian border raises tensions between two allies

“On Sunday, local Russian media reported 6,060 confirmed new cases of the virus in 24 hours, bringing the country's total to 42,853 with 361 fatalities.

"The shutdown of borders between the two countries has demonstrated the awkward situation China faces when dealing with an ally like Russia," Wu Qiang, an independent scholar formerly at Beijing's Tsinghua University, told The Guardian.”

[...]

“More than 2,000 Chinese nationals, believing they could receive better healthcare at home, crossed into China from Russia before the border was closed on April 7, stranding hundreds more in Russia. This influx of nationals, returning from as far as Moscow in the country's west, turned the quiet town (population 70,000) into China's new COVID-19 hotspot.”

Thank you for posting this article. This Chinese community at the Russian border is very important to me, personally. Every year while in China we meet with a group of about twenty people who were sent to this village at the Russian border by Mao when he closed the universities and sent the entering students (just graduating from high schools) to go learn how to work with their hands. They took trains to the countryside, Inner Mongolia and the Russian border, and were put in charge of the well-being of all village residents. They didn't all make it back. Those who did make it back form a tight group of friends who survived those terrible years together. Each year they get together and when I am there in the spring, I join them. My heart is full of love for these survivors, and I know their hearts are full for those who now remain in this border town. Our dream has been to start a school there when we retire. The need in that village is great.

It sounds like he is going to thin the herd! He knows we haven't even peaked yet, but we have open hospital beds, so....
Be safe out there y'all!

"Kemp said with the reopenings he expected cases of the virus to increase, but believed that the state would be able to stay on top of it with increased hospital capacity. State officials would also be on the lookout for any possible hot spots for the virus."

"These are tough decisions, no doubt. And I will have to make more of them," Kemp said, adding that he didn't "give a damn about politics right now" when asked what the political impact of his decisions might be."
Kemp: Restaurants, other businesses to reopen in Georgia amid COVID-19 fight

Meanwhile in Indiana, hospitals can do diagnostic procedures now. Georgia opens the floodgates and we squint through the peephole. Fine by me.

Trivia time:

One of the most well-known nursery rhymes, that has gathered meaning throughout history with a multitude of versions in different languages, is Ring a Ring o' Roses, also known as or Ring Around the Rosie.
Although thought to have originated during paganism with more innocent lyrics, Dr Spicer said the lyrics may have been adapted during the Great Plague of London in 1665.

He said the 'rosie' referred to the rash that developed on the skin from the bubonic plague with the 'atishoo atishoo' referring to the transmission via sneezing and 'we all fall down' a reference to the deaths — 15 per cent of Britain's population died.

Dr Spicer also said many earlier versions of nursery rhymes had far darker origins, often filled with brutality with most people only familiar with the printed version of nursery rhymes during the 19th century.

"Which was a great age for sanitising things and for taking those terrible things out," he said, which he also found amusing given the brutality of child labour during that era, especially in the coal mine industry.
Coronavirus cover songs aren't new: We've been singing through dark times for generations

This was common in 1918 - "In flew Enza"

"I had a little bird, and its name was Enza, I opened the window, and in flew Enza." This tune (which was sung to the melody of "ring around the rosie") ... It's a nursery rhyme from 1918, something kids would sing while jumping rope. At the time, there was a worldwide pandemic of a type of avian influenza which was dubbed the Spanish Flu."​

Breathing

The statement that 40% of the population in Sweden lives alone is not correct. According to a paper from Statistics Sweden, Statistics Sweden , done during 2015 -2017 and published in 2019, 22% of the Swedish population lived alone, and 59% with a partner. The 40% comes from the percentage of households with only one person, which is different from how many who lives alone. The name of the paper is Ensam, med partner eller kompisboende - SCB. (Alone, with partner or living with friends). There are statistical tables of the different household constructions in Sweden, and there is also a short summary in English in the end. The paper is 57 pages long, for those who are interested.
thank you for your more intimate experience. I will certainly look at the link you have provided. Did you see the earlier article, that was added here? I found it so informative, and would appreciate your opinions. Why so many young Swedes live alone

The statement that 40% of the population in Sweden lives alone is not correct. According to a paper from Statistics Sweden, Statistics Sweden , done during 2015 -2017 and published in 2019, 22% of the Swedish population lived alone, and 59% with a partner. The 40% comes from the percentage of households with only one person, which is different from how many who lives alone. The name of the paper is Ensam, med partner eller kompisboende - SCB. (Alone, with partner or living with friends). There are statistical tables of the different household constructions in Sweden, and there is also a short summary in English in the end. The paper is 57 pages long, for those who are interested.
So i went to the link here (Statistics Sweden) but I don't know which sections relates to our discussion... I would appreciate you pointing that out.

Thank you for posting this article. This Chinese community at the Russian border is very important to me, personally. Every year while in China we meet with a group of about twenty people who were sent to this village at the Russian border by Mao when he closed the universities and sent the entering students (just graduating from high schools) to go learn how to work with their hands. They took trains to the countryside, Inner Mongolia and the Russian border, and were put in charge of the well-being of all village residents. They didn't all make it back. Those who did make it back form a tight group of friends who survived those terrible years together. Each year they get together and when I am there in the spring, I join them. My heart is full of love for these survivors, and I know their hearts are full for those who now remain in this border town. Our dream has been to start a school there when we retire. The need in that village is great.

Thanks for sharing about this, Sundog. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrickheffley