CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle & uniform, 22 killed (plus perp), Portapique, NS, 18 April 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
ETA
Could he possibly have been mistaken for GW At the firehall? Then when they realized he actually was an officer they all jumped in the car and left together to get him to hospital?
SIRT is investigating two officers who shot at the Onslow FD. Onslow FD was a collection point for victims. Not sure which MSM source states that an RCMP vehicle was parked there at the time of the shooting. And the officer inside had to identify

As per CCTV released in yesterday’s PC, we know GW could not have been at the Onslow FD at the 10:30am incident. As he was seen on camera at Millbrook and Brookfield around 10:35am.

Exactly my point. Two officers were shooting at someone at approx 10:30am but we know it was not GW. Could Constable CM have driven there to be treated as it says he drove to the collection centre they had set up. He drives in in a hurry and the two officers mistake him for GW.

Exactly my point. Two officers were shooting at someone at approx 10:30am but we know it was not GW. Could Constable CM have driven there to be treated as it says he drove to the collection centre they had set up. He drives in in a hurry and the two officers mistake him for GW.
The Onslow shooting was around 10:30am
The GW and Officer Morrison confrontation was at 10:49am. Also 42 kilometres apart.

Also the Truro hospital is 10-15 mins before the Onslow FD. Just an educated guess but I feel he went to Stewiacke FD which is only a 5 min drive from the GW and Officer Morrison confrontation.

At about 4;40 in the podcast she says the wounded officer drove to a casualty collection point that was set up for the victims the night before. Would this be the Fire Hall?
According to the Broadcastify recordings that were released, you can hear a responding officer saying that they needed ambulances and that casualties were being brought out of the community to "the intersection".

IMO, "that intersection" is there one where the only way in/out of the community joins onto the main road. Remember, at that time, police believed that they had the suspect contained within the community.

According to the Broadcastify recordings that were released, you can hear a responding officer saying that they needed ambulances and that casualties were being brought out of the community to "the intersection".

IMO, "that intersection" is there one where the only way in/out of the community joins onto the main road. Remember, at that time, police believed that they had the suspect contained within the community.

I believe dar107 was referring to the Officer Morrison/GW confrontation which happened the following morning just about a mile north of Shubenacadie at 10:49am

That’s right. They were bringing everyone out to that Intersection. Those who were evacuated were taken to the Collection Points.

The brother of CE who hid in the woods for hours said in his interview that he was taken to the Fire Department to be treated for shock.

Last edited:
Yes, I was off the timeline with my thinking. I thought I had read CM was injured around 10am but that's incorrect. Thinking outside the box however re the incident at Onslow Fire Hall, how the heck did that happen?? Maybe in the confusion, the officers heard something on the radio about CM headed to the collection center, but thought it was GW headed there and then they shot at the Officer that was stationed there. It is so weird how that could of happened, now under wraps as being investigated by SIRT. Obviuosly the 2 Officers know what went down.

No. He drove himself to the hospital (closest "local" Hospital for him would have been Stewiacke). At some point during that morning (before he was shot) could he have been at Onslow? Sure. But, he was shot later in the morning after he had arranged to meet with Constable Stevenson. As he was waiting for her, near Enfield, the suspect pulled alongside him, fired at him and then took off. He immediately radios in and states he has been shot and is heading to "local" hospital for treatment. Constable Stevenson, on her way to the rendez-vous with him then encountered the suspect and his vehicle, rammed head-on, was then herself shot and killed.

From the RCMP released timeline:
Nova Scotia shooting: A detailed timeline of how the rampage unfolded
10:49 a.m. — Police say RCMP Const. Heidi Stevenson and Const. Chad Morrison were working during this time in Enfield. The gunman pulls up alongside and shoots Morrison, but not fatally. He heads south on Highway 2 and collides head-on with Stevenson.
Enfield is nowhere near Onslow.

He drove himself to Hospital immediately after being shot:
Nova Scotia Mountie saved lives by stopping mock police car: union - Sudbury.com
Chad Morrison saw the shooter's car — believing it to actually be Const. Stevenson because they had agreed to meet.

The gunman pulled up beside Morrison and immediately opened fire, wounding the officer, who managed to drive away to a local hospital. He notified other officers and dispatch that he was shot and that he was en-route for emergency medical attention.

Stevenson then encountered the suspect, and their vehicles collided head on.

Shots at Firehall in Onslow approx. 1030hrs that morning; incident in Enfield at 1049hrs.

It's a 35 minute drive between the two locations and the timeline allows only 19 minutes between the two incidents. There were witnesses to both events, and Morrison's radio call logged when he was shot.

Last edited:
Yes, I have replied since then realizing my time is off.
What threw me is the lady speaking in the podcast says:
He drove himself to the Casualty collection center which had been set up the night before, there were ambulances there that could take him to hospital. (Not word for word quote) So that conflicts with reports he drove himself to the hospital.

That podcast was good. Thanks to all for posting/providing various means of access.

I was thinking last night about how while we don't have a lot of horror show level crime in Canada, when we do have these high profile incidents, they're always particularly surreal or uniquely shocking in some way. Schmegelsky/McLeod from last summer, Millard/Smich in 2012/2013, and now this waking nightmare - and that's just the examples from recent years. Something in the water up here I think.

The podcast was very informative, thank you for the link. As this story gets bumped down the list in the news cycle and is no longer the leading story, my heart is with the families of those involved as the cold reality of it all settles in. The story will never fade from their lives. The "what ifs" of life will continue to haunt them. Prayers for all of them.

Good Day Everyone! I live 3 hours away from Portapique, NB. I went to high school with one of the victims and all the kids in my community know her Dad (He goes into local elementary schools to read to the kids). I have a daughter close in age to Emily Tuck so her murder has been especially difficult for me.

I’ve been following this rampage closely and have a few random thoughts.

1. I do believe this was a targeted attack at women. I know that men also died but both people he pulled over and killed were women and it all began with violence towards his partner. The men that were killed were with women or were trying to help.

2. I wonder why he killed Emily and not the other children.

3. I think there were red flags about this individual and I believe they were ignored because he was a successful, white guy. We need to do better as a society.

4. I don’t believe this was his first violent crime. There are several unsolved murders of women / sex workers in the Halifax area. Would not surprise me in the least if DNA evidence ends up pointing to gw.

Ban on assault type weapons coming:

Canada set to ban assault-style weapons, including AR-15 and the gun used in Polytechnique massacre

For those not riveted to Canadian politics as a matter of course, a general crackdown on these kinds of weapons was part of the election platform of the government last year before all this. These kinds of weapons are currently restricted, but not banned. Things like hunting rifles are neither restricted nor banned, though you have to have a permit which requires a course etc. to purchase any gun. We currently have a minority government, so these propasals will ultimately be shaped by other parties as well, or potentially not be adopted at all.

. . . 2. I wonder why he killed Emily and not the other children.

He did, apparently, enter a home seemingly to look for the children and then left (Blair's, I think).

Emily and her family lived in a pretty small space. I would think that if this guy came banging on the door, all of them would have come to see what was happening.

Also, Emily wasn't like the other children. She was a young adult, really, apparently with a big, spunky, outspoken personality. (The mother of her boyfriend spoke about her at length in one of the podcasts I listened to. She seems to have known Emily (and Lisa McCully) well.

I think Emily would have been well known to the killer because of her father's relationship with him, and because of her interests. She would have been more likely than the other children to have interacted with him because she was older, and because she was learning carpentry and welding. Additionally, there seems to have been some knowledge among friends regarding negative aspects of his relationship with his common-law. Emily sounds like the kind of young woman who could have had strong opinions about such things, if she was aware of those problems.

Edit to add: I think this was the podcast: Dark Poutine – True Crime & Dark History – A podcast about notorious Canadian crimes, dark history and other creepy topics as told by real-live Canadians

In this case, the guns used were illegally obtained so gun control would not have changed the outcome.

Not this outcome, unless there would have been some kind of enhanced scrutiny at the border or postal/shipping services as a result - we still don't know how the weapons got in from the United States. It also might have made his gun collection of more interest/concern to the authorities. And it certainly could reduce the number of illegal guns in the future, as 30-35% of the illegal weapons on our streets are stolen from Canadians who owned them legally. Sorry I can't link that stat, but I recall it from previous reading because it surprised me. The vast majority are still smuggled in from the US of course, but we are also creating about a third of our own problems through casual legal ownership.

Thank you for that link.......an amazing thing to listen to. It makes it all the more sad to hear the details, but those details are why we mourn. The final little song from the McCullys just wrapped it all up nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea