CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle & uniform, 22 killed (plus perp), Portapique, NS, 18 April 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a more recent account of the horrid happening that might answer some of your questions. Beyond that, I think this the full extent of the details the RCMP have released at this time regarding the attack on police officers.

Nova Scotia RCMP release terrifying timeline of 13-hour shooting rampage
“Police say RCMP Const. Heidi Stevenson and Const. Chad Morrison were working during that time at the detachment in Enfield.

“Both were communicating on their police radios with each other, and they had arranged to make a meet,” Campbell said.

Morrison was waiting for Stevenson at Highway 2 and Highway 224 when the gunman approached in a marked cruiser.

“What appeared to be a marked police vehicle then approached Const. Morrison,” said Campbell. “As they had pre-arranged to meet at that location, Const. Morrison thought that the vehicle was Const. Stevenson.

Campbell said the gunman pulled up to Morrison and immediately opened fire.

“Const. Morrison received several gunshot wounds, and he began to retreat from the area, driving his vehicle away from the scene,” he said.

“He notified other officers and dispatch that he had been shot and that he was en route to an EHS station for emergency medical attention.”

Campbell said it was during that time that Stevenson was nearby, believed to be driving northbound on Highway 2 while the gunman was travelling southbound.

“At that point, both vehicles collided head-on,” said Campbell. “Const. Stevenson engaged the gunman.

“The gunman took Const. Stevenson’s life. He also took Const. Stevenson’s issued sidearm and her magazines.”

When a passerby stopped to assist people in the crash, he was fatally shot by the gunman, who then set fire to both Const. Stevenson’s damaged cruiser and his own replica cruiser.....”
How did Const. Stevenson know that it was the suspect's fake police car tho? Couldn't it have been the injured officer driving himself to the hospital on the same road? Just wondering....

How did Const. Stevenson know that it was the suspect's fake police car tho? Couldn't it have been the injured officer driving himself to the hospital on the same road? Just wondering....
He was on the radio saying he was going to an aid station, and likely "I've just been shot by Wortman driving a cruiser in x direction on hwy z."

That's why way back when I had questioned about why the gf wouldn't have come out of hiding if she was in the woods and heard all the sirens and seeing police lights out on the road somehow. She must have known help would arrive at some point in the night. So she ended up calling from a gas station somewhere early the next morn. ? JMO

There's conflicting accounts depending what news source is being used. Other sources have her coming out of hiding in the morning inured from being severely beaten, taken for treatment and talking to police. Nary a mention of her calling 911 from a/or of a gas station. Police timeline mentions neither nor did the police during conferences. It's weird. I'll wait until the investigation comes in with all those details before I'll presume it one way or the other. This isn't the only area where the stories differ depending on the paper either. It's frustrating as H E double toothpicks these conflicts are.

Hospital was the opposite direction. The incidents happen just a couple of minutes apart. We know that Constable Morrison radio'd out immediately upon being shot so I've no doubt that he also radio'd out the direction the suspect was travelling. She was coming towards them on same road and knew where Constable Stevenson was parked as she was supposed to meet with him there. If I know my partner's been shot at Point X by suspect in a faux-cop car that's now headed my way while my partner heads the opposite direction towards the hospital (as he radio'd he was headed to hospital) … I'd probably ram the one coming at me too.

He was on the radio saying he was going to an aid station, and likely "I've just been shot by Wortman driving a cruiser in x direction on hwy z."
I keep seeing aid station, but the Press Conference and the timeline released by the RCMP clearly state that he radio'd and immediately headed to the local hospital for treatment.

I just posted the link in here yesterday for that.

I have read conflicting stories too about other incidents. The initial witness the police spoke to who said he had been shot by someone in what looked like a police car. I have read he was walking, I also read he was driving, and driving with a female passenger. I wondered how badly he was wounded if he was still walking and/or driving, and how, if there was a passenger, she escaped injury. Like Vern wrote above, we must let the investigation provide the details as things unfold.
The ratio of shootings to arson deaths at Portapique still leaves me queasy.

The RCMP have released Supt Campbell’s “Speaking Remarks” during the Apr 24th press conference, an excellent reference piece.
Here:
Speaking remarks: Supt. Darren Campbell | Royal Canadian Mounted Police

A couple of points mentioned regarding prior discussion.
“The victim managed to escape from the gunman and hid overnight in the woods.”

“The approaching police vehicle was actually driven by the gunman. The gunman pulled up beside Cst. Morrison and immediately opened fire. Cst. Morrison received several gunshot wounds and began to retreat from the area, driving his vehicle away from the scene. He notified other officers and dispatch that he was shot and that he was enroute to EHS station for emergency medical attention.”

(EHS - Emergency Health Services. “Station” is a physical ambulance base according to google. In this case it would make sense Const Morrison drove to the closest EHS station in order to be transferred to a hospital by paramedics via ambulance.)
Emergency Health Services - Wikipedia

I’m not sure, has this link been shared? If it has, my apologies as I don’t recall seeing it. This owner of a welding business at Debert discovered various items off a dead-end lane behind his shop and notified police who searched the area. This was where GW spent the night apparently. Fortunately the business owner was not home the night of the senseless massacres.

There’s a video on this link as well. One of the items was RCMP classic boots, the tall type worn with the Red Serge only during parades or other special events (what many non-Canadians often associate as the regular RCMP uniform.)

BBM

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/nova-scotia-gunman-debert-property-1.5549790

“MacDonald, who owns a welding shop on 123 Ventura Dr. in the rural community of Debert, had done some work for Gabriel Wortman in the past — mostly working on parts and repairs for Wortman's fleet of two or three dozen motorcycles, MacDonald said, as well as a backhoe.”

“MacDonald spotted various items that appeared to be police equipment that had been thrown in a ditch. There was a light bar, an empty gun holster and leather parade boots....”

“I just had a feeling that he was here," MacDonald said Wednesday. "I knew that he was around somewhere and I didn't know where."..”

I know the RCMP was quite interested in where he got the light bar for his replica car, and not only did he have one mounted but had a spare which was found near MacDonald's welding shop. What went thru his mind to throw it out along with the boots. It is a good thing the shop owner looked around after the shooter had left.

I think part of the problem of so many conflicting reports early on is partially bc of the amount of crime scenes, and all the chaos that was all happening seemingly at once shootings, explosions, structure fires, fake RCMP vehicle. There was a lot of confusion and rightfully so IMO

We know that RCMP has been known to be very tight lipped and I think especially early on MSM was going off of many eyewitnesses and various unverified local sources and probably even social media.

I think a lot of information was leaking out before RCMP even had a chance to fully grasp the totality of what they were dealing with.

In this day and age it makes it increasingly difficult for agencies to keep things close to the vest as this was a global story and MSM was looking for any little crumb that they could find.

I don't say this as a knock on agencies involved as I respect how seriously Canadian LE agencies take the privacy of their citizens and especially generally not releasing things until they can be absolutely confirmed.

But it is a sign of the times, social media is instant, sources are a text away and right now there is a bigger rush than there ever has been to get the story out as soon as possible! Facts be damned

So while there was what appears to be an abundance of misinformation in this case I think its fairly easy to see why.

I think part of the problem of so many conflicting reports early on is partially bc of the amount of crime scenes, and all the chaos that was all happening seemingly at once shootings, explosions, structure fires, fake RCMP vehicle. There was a lot of confusion and rightfully so IMO

We know that RCMP has been known to be very tight lipped and I think especially early on MSM was going off of many eyewitnesses and various unverified local sources and probably even social media.

I think a lot of information was leaking out before RCMP even had a chance to fully grasp the totality of what they were dealing with.

In this day and age it makes it increasingly difficult for agencies to keep things close to the vest as this was a global story and MSM was looking for any little crumb that they could find.

I don't say this as a knock on agencies involved as I respect how seriously Canadian LE agencies take the privacy of their citizens and especially generally not releasing things until they can be absolutely confirmed.

But it is a sign of the times, social media is instant, sources are a text away and right now there is a bigger rush than there ever has been to get the story out as soon as possible! Facts be damned

So while there was what appears to be an abundance of misinformation in this case I think its fairly easy to see why.

IIRC the RCMP interviewed 400 or so people? No way can that happen as quickly as instant news reporting. You’re right, the media often isn’t concerned about truth, they just want to be the first to get a story out relying on what sources say. I suspect a lot of time their unnamed sources are of the “I heard” category, and not first hand accounts.

Just watching the news had my head spinning with the multiple crime scenes, shootings, arson, car crashes, etc. If it was hard to take in the enormity of it all just watching the news, I cannot fathom what it was like to start piecing it all together at the scene in real time.

Yes, but this mass murder wasn’t typical in that it happened in a number of locations over a considerable period of time. One could argue that he was a serial killer in that he went to different locations to kill people. One could also argue that he had a ‘cooling off’ period while he hid in Debert. He also killed people in a variety of ways (fire, shooting, pulling some people over).

He was not a typical mass murderer and, imo, he could have killed before.

Pretty sure GW would be what is called a spree killer (killing more than 2 victims in a short period of time in many different locations).

More details on the killer's dispute over the property Lisa McCully purchased in 2015. It involved two uncles.

Nova Scotia gunman was involved in several disputes before shooting, RCMP says

This interview with a retired supervisory special agent who was a profiler and forensic linguist with the FBI was published April 24th. The more information that’s been released about GW, the greater it seems to fit.

Full article here:
Nova Scotia shooter was likely ‘grievance collector,’ says former FBI profiler

A summary of his impression of GW -
- he was a psychopath, near the top end of the scale.
- he was a “grievance collector, someone who remembers every slight or perceived slight from other people and begins to attribute their own shortcoming or failures to those alleged affronts. The grievances fester and can boil over into acts of vengeance”.
- he’s an “organized offender”, one who takes time to prepare for their crimes, “careful and calculating, difficult to predict” because they fantasize about it for years, following other crime sprees and learning from “the mistakes” others have made.
- violent offenders with police or military obsessions tend to be among the most dangerous and violent as they’re “into the whole power trip and authority thing.”

That article brings dozens of questions to mind, which hopefully will be answered as the investigation progresses.
I realise this is speculation but it does seem after reading articles about the victims, that they were good people who were loved and respected and generally content. Their "success" was not measured in material goods. The idiot probably resented that.

Just watching the news had my head spinning with the multiple crime scenes, shootings, arson, car crashes, etc. If it was hard to take in the enormity of it all just watching the news, I cannot fathom what it was like to start piecing it all together at the scene in real time.
Mayhem is a popular guy. I think the perp was jealous!

Attached are links to some articles that consider the origins / motives of / for mass murders, including domestic violence.

Attachments

• dv.pdf
    128.9 KB · Views: 18
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads