CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle & uniform, 22 killed (plus perp), Portapique, NS, 18 April 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
More details on the killer's dispute over the property Lisa McCully purchased in 2015. It involved two uncles.

Nova Scotia gunman was involved in several disputes before shooting, RCMP says
I wonder if the uncle understood the implications of the property being owned as 'joint tenants' as the article above seems to suggest?

"The younger Wortman, a Dartmouth denturist, was listed as a joint tenant."

I have a feeling we are not learning *all* of the details about GW's interest in the property at Orchard Beach Dr? I'm wondering if there was supposed to have been interest paid on the monies loaned? If the ownership was listed as 'joint tenants', then who knows, perhaps the uncle was supposed to pay back to GW the value of the property at the time he paid the monies back (ie if the property had substantially increased in value by the time the monies were paid back, GW may have wanted a cut of that in return for having provided bridge financing to the uncle?).. who knows what the deal was.. not that in any case it would provide justification for murder or for a murderous rampage, but perhaps somewhat of a further understanding of the unresolved anger issues that he seemed to have bubbling inside for years, building up to this explosion?

In the article quoted, who is 'Neil Wortman'.. I can't find another mention of that name in the article, but my eyes/brain could be missing it?
----

Joint ownership of real estate can be tricky. Problems can often ensue between or among co-owners. One wants to fix the leaky roof; the other two co-owners cannot afford the repair. One wants to rent it out; another wants to live in it. Two want to sell; the third refuses. When joint ownership is simply no longer workable, a person with an interest in land can apply pursuant to Ontario’s Partition Act for an order that the land be partitioned or sold and for other related relief. de VRIES LITIGATION can help with partition and sale applications on behalf of joint owners.

A court application may also be necessary to determine how ownership to a property is held. You may know that jointly owned property can be held one of two ways: either as a joint tenant or as a tenant in common. But did you know that parties may, by agreement, unilateral conveyance, or through their course of conduct, sever a joint tenancy and convert it to a tenancy in common? This can occur without any change to the title documents. Whether the property is owned as joint tenants or as tenants in common can have huge implications for the administration of an estate. A court application may be necessary to determine whether a joint tenancy has been severed.

Severance of Joint Tenancy & Ownership of Property | de VRIES LITIGATION

I wonder if the uncle understood the implications of the property being owned as 'joint tenants' as the article above seems to suggest?

I have a feeling we are not learning *all* of the details about GW's interest in the property at Orchard Beach Dr? I'm wondering if there was supposed to have been interest paid on the monies loaned? If the ownership was listed as 'joint tenants', then who knows, perhaps the uncle was supposed to pay back to GW the value of the property at the time he paid the monies back (ie if the property had substantially increased in value by the time the monies were paid back, GW may have wanted a cut of that in return for having provided bridge financing to the uncle?).. who knows what the deal was.. not that in any case it would provide justification for murder or for a murderous rampage, but perhaps somewhat of a further understanding of the unresolved anger issues that he seemed to have bubbling inside for years, building up to this explosion?

In the article quoted, who is 'Neil Wortman'.. I can't find another mention of that name in the article, but my eyes/brain could be missing it?
----

Joint ownership of real estate can be tricky. Problems can often ensue between or among co-owners. One wants to fix the leaky roof; the other two co-owners cannot afford the repair. One wants to rent it out; another wants to live in it. Two want to sell; the third refuses. When joint ownership is simply no longer workable, a person with an interest in land can apply pursuant to Ontario’s Partition Act for an order that the land be partitioned or sold and for other related relief. de VRIES LITIGATION can help with partition and sale applications on behalf of joint owners.

A court application may also be necessary to determine how ownership to a property is held. You may know that jointly owned property can be held one of two ways: either as a joint tenant or as a tenant in common. But did you know that parties may, by agreement, unilateral conveyance, or through their course of conduct, sever a joint tenancy and convert it to a tenancy in common? This can occur without any change to the title documents. Whether the property is owned as joint tenants or as tenants in common can have huge implications for the administration of an estate. A court application may be necessary to determine whether a joint tenancy has been severed.

There are quite a few reports of gw conning people with property scams in the past. <modsnip: no MSM link to support>

Last edited by a moderator:
There are quite a few reports of gw conning people with property scams in the past. <modsnip: no MSM link to support>
Well two... unless you know of others beside the uncle and the mechanic (or whatever tradesman he was).

----

Yes indeed, there’s always two sides to every story but as the NS Supreme Court heard both parties and granted an order releasing the sale proceeds to the uncle in 2015, so I’d find it hard to believe GW was unknowingly swindled. It would appear the uncle entered into the agreement believing his nephew was assisting him through kindness as is common amongst relatives but GW only had a self-serving motive, that of financial gain. It was fortunate the uncle did not pass away while the title was still joint, knowing what we now know GW was capable of, considering rights of survivorship and all that.

“In June 2015, Glynn Wortman filed an application in Supreme Court to have his nephew removed from the title of a property at 135 Orchard Beach Dr. in Portapique.

Gabriel Wortman had provided bridge financing to help Glynn Wortman buy the property in 2010. Glynn Wortman said he repaid his nephew the money, $165,000, in 2011.

Glynn Wortman said he also paid all expenses for Gabriel to travel to Edmonton to help him sell his condo and that he had footed the entire bill for heating, electricity, insurance, maintenance and taxes since buying the home.

He also said he had transferred $9,946 to Gabriel Wortman in 2012 to reimburse him for goods and services he had purchased for the property on his behalf.

In an affidavit, Glynn Wortman said Gabriel Wortman at one point in time, as a reason for refusing to release his name on the title to the property, claimed it was his uncle’s intention to give him the home as a gift, “but I have never had that intention.”

Glynn Wortman said that when his brother, acting as his power of attorney, asked Gabriel Wortman to remove his name, he gave various reasons at different times for not doing so: that he was kind of busy and would get around to it some time, that he intended to do so but first had to consult with his lawyer, that his uncle had never repaid the loan, that his uncle still owed him money for goods and services, and that his uncle owed him money for his negotiating a good price for the home...”
Nova Scotia gunman's past included questionable financial dealings | The Chronicle Herald

Last edited:

You might thinking of the 2004 account by the repairman, same link as above. Not sure why this Star article isn’t paylocked.

.......“He acted like a friend. It took a lot of years for that go away,” Zinck said....”

I’d expect the RCMP will have a 2nd look at the circumstances in which GW acquired his properties. There appears a connection to GW and fire long before this cold-blooded massacre and burning of homes belonging to his innocent victims.

At the time of the shooting last weekend, he owned six properties in Nova Scotia: three on Portland Street in Dartmouth, including his denture clinic there, and three in Portapique, N.S....”
‘He took everything’: Nova Scotia shooter had a history of property disputes

One Portapique neighbour told the Canadian Press that he and Wortman were friends until they fell out over a piece of nearby property.
The neighbour, who declined to give his name, said Wortman had burned an old shed that contained some property that belonged to the neighbour. The man said he was too overcome with emotion to say more about his relationship with Wortman or what might have motivated his rampage.”

https://nationalpost.com/news/who-w...enturist-behind-the-nova-scotia-mass-shooting

Dartmouth -
Many years ago, when there was a structure fire next door, the neighbour said Wortman acquired the property and turned it into a parking lot.”
‘He didn’t hide this vehicle’: Nova Scotia killer’s fixation with police was on full display

Push bar on killer's mock police car, but not on Constable Stevenson's cruiser. It appears that the mass murderer was better prepared than the RCMP.

I think the person may be overstating how much impact one would feel in one vehicle vs the other.

There's no doubt the vehicle with push bumper would receive far less damage, but i'm not convinced there would be such a large differential of significant force actually inflicted on each driver.

I think the person may be overstating how much impact one would feel in one vehicle vs the other.

There's no doubt the vehicle with push bumper would receive far less damage, but i'm not convinced there would be such a large differential of significant force actually inflicted on each driver.

I don't know, I just assumed that all cop cars had them and never looked into the science behind it. As for this particular case, other variables play into it, like speed and so on.

I don't know, I just assumed that all cop cars had them and never looked into the science behind it. As for this particular case, other variables play into it, like speed and so on.

Yah there are many factors generally in head on collisions, the most significant factors in my opinion are

Relative speed of each vehicle at the point of impact

Relative weights of each vehicle that are impacting each other. (for example) If the suspects vehicle had been a much heavier SUV fitted with a push bar I think the difference would be extremely relevant. But seeing as they were mostly identical in weight give or a takes a few hundred lbs I'm not sure its as significant in this case.

Generally push bars are designed to not activate front air bag sensors when they are impacted, something that also has to be considered in a head on collision IMO

It seems that its more common for NS RCMP vehicles not to have them than it is for them to have them IMO
YGG6VUU6P5DEVJU57Y2SKEK354.jpg

2020-04-19t172207z-1208610240-rc2t7g9im0f1-rtrmadp-3-canada-crime-nova-scotia-1.jpg

Last edited:
According to the bullbar wiki page, there are a variety of types, ranging from metal to polyethylene. I'd assume that the mass murderer would've outfitted his fake cop car with the one that could do the most damage to other vehicles.

According to the bullbar wiki page, there are a variety of types, ranging from metal to polyethylene. I'd assume that the mass murderer would've outfitted his fake cop car with the one that could do the most damage to other vehicles.

Yep I'm not discounting the Perps intent at all

I'm just questioning the relevance of it in this click bait article that insinuates that RCMP was somehow at fault for not having one on Const Stevenson's cruiser. In fact there are multiple insinuations in that article trying to cast blame at RCMP IMO

It's essentially a hit piece of journalism

She was gunned down after trying to stop an insane spree killer and I think the insinuation that a push bar on her vehicle would likely have saved her life is disingenuous at best.

SABBM

When their cars collided on the morning of April 19 on a Nova Scotia highway, the gunman would have had a "massive" advantage, according to Barry Wellar, professor emeritus at the University of Ottawa, who is a pedestrian advocate and road safety expert.

"The person in the vehicle that does not have the bars would feel, in effect, the equivalent of 100 per cent of the impact," Wellar told CBC News. "The person with the push bar, the amount of impact felt by the vehicle driver is minimal relative to the person who's getting hit. Huge difference."

Additionally I would like to know where this expert is getting these vehicle to vehicle head on collision very scientific facts from o_O

There's been numerous studies of the impact of a bull bar/push bar in relation to impacting pedestrians. It sounds to me that some of the language in the article has come directly from those studies and has been stated as though its the same in a vehicle to vehicle collision when it is absolutely not. IMO

Last edited:
You might thinking of the 2004 account by the repairman, same link as above. Not sure why this Star article isn’t paylocked.

.......“He acted like a friend. It took a lot of years for that go away,” Zinck said....”

Wondering out loud about the relationship GW actually had with Zinck and if there may be things omitted from the story about the scope of their relationship?...Zinck worked at an auto-body shop close to the denture clinic and was introduced to GW through a friend... the police did state that GW had a long list of difficulties with family and associates. I located an obituary from 2008 that listed a 'Lisa and (GW)'... the surname contained in the obituary was Zinck.. wondering if this was another family situation.

Has any local forum users checked out the angle of where he learned to use firearms and where he may have practiced shooting. Even though he had rural property,it doesn’t mean he would be able to openly fire without getting some complaints. There is an indoor range minutes from his office. I wonder if he frequented this place and made connections to buy arms through its clients.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeanBean