Found Deceased UT - Elizabeth Laguna Salgado, 26, Provo, 16 Apr 2015

Utah Cold Case Coalition launches ambitious plan to run its own DNA testing lab to help crack unsolved crimes
April 26 2019 rbbm.
"The Utah Cold Case Coalition is aiming for something its founders call “revolutionary” in the cracking of unsolved crimes: the first DNA testing lab operated by a nonprofit.

Coalition co-founders Karra Porter and Jason Jensen announced Thursday the group’s plans to build its own DNA testing lab in a tree-shaded, two-story office complex in Murray.

“This is going to revolutionize cold cases across the United States,”
Porter said. “We saw this need and it was too big to ignore.”
"Francine Bardole, senior crime scene investigator for the West Jordan Police Department, said there is a glut of untested DNA from crime scenes, rape kits and other evidence."

"Jensen also gave brief updates on four prominent cold cases:"
"• In the case of Elizabeth Salgado, whose body was discovered in a Utah County canyon last May, three years after she disappeared, Jensen said the coalition is seeking the public’s assistance to piece together what the 26-year-old did in the 18 days between her arrival in Utah and her disappearance."
I am cautiously optimistic. I wonder if we have to wait the lab is operational at year end to start on Elizabeth's case. I hope not. But any additional resource may move this case in a positive direction. If nothing else then having the media mention her case helps to keep the public's knowledge refreshed and increase the chance of that one tip.

From the disappeared episode her american friend at the beginning said Elizabeth didn't know much english, but they would help her with her english and in turn she would help them with their Spanish. So some of them knew some spanish. He also said a number of them were always keen about speaking to her.

I don't know much about the church or her family and whether she could or would have done anything that 'shamed' them. It seemed unlikely from the episode, but putting out all possibilities.

Seems unlikely that a stranger saw her within that 18 days she was in America and took her off a busy road without her screaming or anyone witnessing a forced abduction? It also struck me that she was a conservative, cautious person by nature and new in the country so would be unlikely to get into a car with someone she didn't know?

But she would trust someone from her church, even if she had only recently met them? Or obviously would have trusted her own uncle/s.

Whoever the perp/s are, it seems that they would fit in easily to the community and would not be obvious suspects. Someone close to them might know something but dismiss it because they they think the person/s is so unlikely to have committed a crime? Hopefully someone does the right thing and says something. Even anon.

From the disappeared episode her american friend at the beginning said Elizabeth didn't know much english, but they would help her with her english and in turn she would help them with their Spanish. So some of them knew some spanish. He also said a number of them were always keen about speaking to her.

I don't know much about the church or her family and whether she could or would have done anything that 'shamed' them. It seemed unlikely from the episode, but putting out all possibilities.

Seems unlikely that a stranger saw her within that 18 days she was in America and took her off a busy road without her screaming or anyone witnessing a forced abduction? It also struck me that she was a conservative, cautious person by nature and new in the country so would be unlikely to get into a car with someone she didn't know?

But she would trust someone from her church, even if she had only recently met them? Or obviously would have trusted her own uncle/s.

Whoever the perp/s are, it seems that they would fit in easily to the community and would not be obvious suspects. Someone close to them might know something but dismiss it because they they think the person/s is so unlikely to have committed a crime? Hopefully someone does the right thing and says something. Even anon.
Welcome to WS @Awakening! Thank you for bumping this thread! I’ve always wondered what happened here. Didn’t know there was a Disappeared episode- will def go watch asap.

It’s Disappeared Season 8, Episode 4, “On a Mission”, aired April 16, 2017.

From IMDB app:
“A beautiful young woman moves to the United States for a new opportunity, but in a mere matter of weeks, she vanishes without a trace. Kidnapping survivor, Elizabeth Smart, joins in the search to find her in this mystery where the clues are sparse.“

He made the searchers very angry on many occasions and many volunteer searchers quit because of him. Also, he was one of the only people in the area she would have trusted to get into the vehicle with. There are other reasons, but...

I wonder what he could have done to make searchers angry? Contaminate the search area somehow? I don't know -- sometimes when a person is very upset or frantic, they can rub others the wrong way. For example, I went "missing" as an 8-yr-old. After-school program had ended and the teachers normally wouldn't leave until my bus came (city bus), but the bus was very late and the teachers just left me alone in the dark standing there waiting. I waited a very long time and then just decided to walk home. The bus passed me soon after that, and my mom was on the bus where I always met her coming from work (but she didn't see me and I wasn't able to flag down the bus). My mom was frantic and searching for me. She ran to the school and was banging on the window to get anyone's attention. She accidentally broke the window and her arm got cut pretty badly. Later she came home and found me and everything was fine, but the school administration was angry at my mom for breaking their window and suggested I wasn't a "good fit" for the school. Essentially they kicked me out because they didn't like the way my mom behaved. They had no empathy for the situation she was in and the terror she felt thinking her daughter might be missing or kidnapped or worse.

I wonder what he could have done to make searchers angry? Contaminate the search area somehow? I don't know -- sometimes when a person is very upset or frantic, they can rub others the wrong way. For example, I went "missing" as an 8-yr-old. After-school program had ended and the teachers normally wouldn't leave until my bus came (city bus), but the bus was very late and the teachers just left me alone in the dark standing there waiting. I waited a very long time and then just decided to walk home. The bus passed me soon after that, and my mom was on the bus where I always met her coming from work (but she didn't see me and I wasn't able to flag down the bus). My mom was frantic and searching for me. She ran to the school and was banging on the window to get anyone's attention. She accidentally broke the window and her arm got cut pretty badly. Later she came home and found me and everything was fine, but the school administration was angry at my mom for breaking their window and suggested I wasn't a "good fit" for the school. Essentially they kicked me out because they didn't like the way my mom behaved. They had no empathy for the situation she was in and the terror she felt thinking her daughter might be missing or kidnapped or worse.
That’s awful! These days if that happened, there’d be a lawsuit & the school would be paying her medical bill for her arm.

How horrible!! So glad you were fine.

New Website Launched In Elizabeth Salgado Case

A new website has been launched in the Elizabeth Salgado case, compiling a detailed timeline of Elizabeth’s time in Provo. The goal is to gather tips from the public to create new leads for detectives.

https://www.elizabethsalgado.info/
I like the idea, but after 5 years this will be tough. Memories fade and residents and students move out of the area. This would have been more effective had it been done much sooner.

I think it was something about their demeanor during the searches. And i believe some of the volunteers felt they were too focused on getting money donations and that they seemed distracted. But we could attribute that behavior to a number of things including the cultural differences.

The Justice Files: 5-year anniversary of Elizabeth Salgado's disappearance marked with hope

Posted: Apr 16, 2020 / 10:45 PM MDT / Updated: Apr 17, 2020 / 04:45 PM MDT

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC4 Utah) – Long-awaited lab results are now in the hands of investigators.

And it may help find who killed Elizabeth Salgado.

Thursday marked the five-year anniversary of her disappearance. In 2018, her remains were found in a shallow grave in Hobble Creek Canyon in Utah County. But who killed her remains unsolved.

Jensen has been in contact with several members of her ward but others have avoided him.

“Just because we say it’s someone she knows it doesn’t mean everyone she knew is at fault,” Jensen said. “It’s the person who doesn’t want to talk that causes red flags to pop up.”

New lead and forensics as Elizabeth Salgado homicide case still active after 5 years

The Salgados have turned to the community for help in finding the killer, and a new lead places her in Hobble Creek Canyon before she died.

Carlos Trujillo, the Salgado family’s attorney, said Thursday they received the last of Elizabeth’s autopsy results.

“There was no evidence as to a cause of death or a time of death or anything like that, so we are very saddened today with (that) news,” Trujillo said.

There was hope in a new lead, according to private investigator Jason Jensen, who has been working on the case. Jensen said a source has been identified that claimed Elizabeth visited Hobble Creek Canyon the weekend before her disappearance.

“There was a church activity at the mouth of Hobble Creek Canyon, at what was identified as the Kelly’s Grove Pavilion,” said Jensen.

The Justice Files: 5-year anniversary of Elizabeth Salgado's disappearance marked with hope

SALT LAKE CITY (ABC4 Utah) – Long-awaited lab results are now in the hands of investigators.

Thursday marked the five-year anniversary of her disappearance. In 2018, her remains were found in a shallow grave in Hobble Creek Canyon in Utah County. But who killed her remains unsolved.

Jensen has been in contact with several members of her ward but others have avoided him.

“Just because we say it’s someone she knows it doesn’t mean everyone she knew is at fault,” Jensen said. “It’s the person who doesn’t want to talk that causes red flags to pop up.”

New lead and forensics as Elizabeth Salgado homicide case still active after 5 years

The Salgados have turned to the community for help in finding the killer, and a new lead places her in Hobble Creek Canyon before she died.

Carlos Trujillo, the Salgado family’s attorney, said Thursday they received the last of Elizabeth’s autopsy results.

“There was no evidence as to a cause of death or a time of death or anything like that, so we are very saddened today with (that) news,” Trujillo said.

There was hope in a new lead, according to private investigator Jason Jensen, who has been working on the case. Jensen said a source has been identified that claimed Elizabeth visited Hobble Creek Canyon the weekend before her disappearance.

“There was a church activity at the mouth of Hobble Creek Canyon, at what was identified as the Kelly’s Grove Pavilion,” said Jensen.
Thanks for this! I think about this case often. Hopefully advances in tech will solve this.

Articles are about 6 months old, but I missed them. There's some info here I don't remember seeing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jazz1391
Back