Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #54

Status
Not open for further replies.
Six Flags New England guests will have to make reservations once park reopens

When Six Flags New England opens for the 2020 season, all guests will be required to make reservations before visiting the park.

The Western Massachusetts location announced the new protocol will apply to pass holders and members.

“To meet state social distancing guidelines and ensure the health and safety of our guests, all visits to the park must be pre-scheduled using our online reservation system,” Six Flags stated in a message on its website.

maybe she was already behind in her rent/mortgage/utilities etc.
That could be, but she has a guaranteed income, essentially, once things officially open up. Unlike restaurants and retail with an iffy future, customers can't wait to get their hair cut and colored. She will likely experience a boom. With the payroll loan and soon-to-be boom of customers, I think she could've held out until getting the go-ahead to safely open.

But, I'm not in her shoes and am commenting from afar.

Her business will do great after all this exposure, of that I am sure.

jmo

New York must meet these 7 Andrew Cuomo criteria to reopen amid coronavirus

The seven COVID-19-related benchmarks tied to New York state coronavirus statistics that the Empire State’s 10 regions need to hit to restart their economies include:
  • A 14-day drop in hospitalizations, or fewer than 15 new admissions in a three-day rolling average
  • A 14-day decline in hospital deaths, or fewer than five total deaths across a three-day rolling average
  • A rate of new hospitalizations below two per 100,000 residents, across a three-day rolling average
  • At least 30 percent of total hospital beds unoccupied
  • At least 30 percent of ICU hospital beds unoccupied
  • At least 30 tests for every 1,000 residents per month
  • At least 30 contact tracers retained per 100,000 residents
"A 14-day drop in hospitalizations, or fewer than 15 new admissions in a three-day rolling average"

Ok, so how long will it take to get down to fewer than 15 new admissions, 3 days in a row?

May 2nd=989 new cases
May 3rd=636 new cases
On May 4th, there were 1,137 cases that one day.
May 5th there were 699 new cases.

So he wants there to be less than 15 new cases? Are we anywhere close to that yet?

That could be, but she has a guaranteed income, essentially, once things officially open up. Unlike restaurants and retail with an iffy future, customers can't wait to get their hair cut and colored. She will likely experience a boom. With the payroll loan and soon-to-be boom of customers, I think she could've held out until getting the go-ahead to safely open.

But, I'm not in her shoes and am commenting from afar.

Her business will do great after all this exposure, of that I am sure.

jmo

Exactly. And any landlord would be crazy to not understand if she needed to pay 1 month of rent in increments. Especially knowing 1) she can guarantee two months of rent due to the PPP loan and 2) she will have income as soon as things reopen, when many other tenants may not. No landlord wants to lose a good tenant (provided she is in fact a good tenant, who knows). Utility companies will work with you if you call them and make the initiative to work out a payment plan.

"A 14-day drop in hospitalizations, or fewer than 15 new admissions in a three-day rolling average"

Ok, so how long will it take to get down to fewer than 15 new admissions, 3 days in a row?

May 2nd=989 new cases
May 3rd=636 new cases
On May 4th, there were 1,137 cases that one day.
May 5th there were 699 new cases.

So he wants there to be less than 15 new cases? Are we anywhere close to that yet?

I posted this in the NY thread....

--

Until last night’s report, coronavirus fatalities in Suffolk County had been climbing at an average of 28 daily deaths for the past week – about half the previous peak of 62 new deaths reported in early April.

In yesterday’s updated data, New York City reported 298 new deaths, more than twice the 129 deaths reported the previous day. Nassau County reported 75 new deaths in the new data, compared to 29 from the previous day.

The new data represents a 497% increase in fatalities in Suffolk County over the day before, a 158% increase in Nassau County, a 131% increase in New York City and a 314% increase statewide.

It is not clear whether this sharp increase is the result of some kind of retrospective adjustment beyond the explanation of new nursing home deaths provided in the state’s Covid-19 tracker.

Suffolk's coronavirus death toll leaps by 227, New York State's by 952 | RiverheadLOCAL

thank you... also from your link

--
There have been no cases of COVID-19 associated with ingestion of food, but the question is well-founded. COVID-19 is, after all, caused by a virus which enters the body through the nose or mouth. Food items are, after all, objects which may be contaminated with the virus and placed in the mouth — but like many other viruses, bacteria and parasites, these will be swallowed and most likely destroyed by stomach acids. Should the virus survive into the intestine, there is no pathway which will carry it to the lungs.

Not really. Routine practices of hygiene, storage, cleansing and cooking which are already practiced in commercial shops and restaurants will also help eliminate this virus from our food.

So can you acquire COVID-19 from food?

The bottom line answer is ... no.
--

So it seems like the biggest risk of takeout would be handling the packaging IMO. Which is the same risk you take shopping at the supermarket. IMO.

1) Did you stock up early before the shut down?
My parents went thru the war in the Netherlands. No special action was needed on my part when CoV hit, ;) but I did buy some extra flour and lentils.

2) Do you plan to stock up again before fall?
I'll be aware of some availabilities throughout the coming months, and harvest and preserve my garden.

3) What will you do differently if you stock up again?
Tell my children to buy asap things that their children may need this fall and winter, snow suits, footwear, winter clothes, baby food, baby care products. (I had a new grandbaby born today! A safe and happy arrival). Also stock up on business supplies that are imported. Lock down requires technical equipmemt that is newer than an ipad 2. :/ It's not only food that may have distribution problems.

4) Will necessities even be available to stock up again?
Yes, but supplies throughout the coming year may be a bit rocky.

5) What have you learned from this shut down that will help you to navigate another possible shut down in the fall?
It's a good idea to buy directly from the farmer if you can. There is such a thing as a freezer that is too small. I'm in a good situation. My children are less prepared. Can I take in a vulnerable senior?
Congrats on the new baby in the family! Always a joy to see that life goes on. :)

jmo

Watching people lose their businesses is so heartbreaking. This whole pandemic is just heartbreaking. The losses people are going through, all around the world.
Unfortunately, I'm afraid it's going to get much, much worse. I shudder to think what's going to happen when it gets into the refugee camps and the poor 3rd world countries.

Board of Health Chairman James M. Morin said he and police officers twice went to the golf club to hand the cease-and-desist order to the owner, Neil Lummis.

Morin said they were greeted with belligerence. On one occasion, Lummis allegedly ripped up the order. On another, he refused to come from behind a glass doorway, but was nonetheless served the order, according to Police Chief Donald Desorcy.

I get it. This guy may go bankrupt, while Raceway Golf Course in Thomson CT is having their best season ever. There is only 30 miles between them.

There are so many equivalents in the economy like this. It's hard, because we are in new territory handling the crisis, so I tend not to point fingers and get angry. But I hope for logic to prevail. In this case, Baler opening up the Massachusetts golf courses made complete sense.

Millbury alleges Clearview golf course is open illegally

I agree with you, @KALI. And all those people who are spending their (time limited) unemployment on vacations to various places (yep, some are doing that) or on eating all their meals from expensive take out places (they're all expensive compared to what can be made at home) will be sorry when they can't go back to their jobs.

77% of unemployed Americans think they'll get their old job back

https://news.google.com/articles/CA...wjtSUCjC30XQwjqi5AQ?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US:en

And here's a list of major bankrupt businesses:

Coronavirus Bankruptcy Tracker: These Major Companies Are Failing Amid The Shutdown

Napa, Sonoma and San Francisco have had time-honored restaurants shutter forever. Where I live, we're seeing business owners move their stock out of small boutiques intended for gift buying and tourist souvenirs, shuttering forever. "For rent" signs on many retail spaces. I doubt the Sephora near me will ever reopen, and it looks like the Macy's in the mall will close. That means the entire mall will probably either close or go downhill. During the 2008 recession, it was not this bad - but the stores went from being well known chain stores to second hand stores and strange pop-ups.

I wonder what will happen when the warehouse stores are depleted. Most warehouses are in the Western US where there's lots of land and because, well, stuff from China comes in through western ports. There are plenty of warehouses in the plains and Midwest, but where is the stock to come from? If we're serious about exclusionary policies toward China, and if China is serious about not shipping to us, the idea was that we would...manufacture everything ourselves? How is that supposed to start without specific stimulus from government? Can the States organize such things on their own and what would be the incentive for, say, California to manufacture for export to other states? I doubt it'll be super-profitable, the way cheaper Chinese goods are.

Aaargh. What a big web of sticky problems we head into next. MOO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get