Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
For now I'm going with LE's original, if terse, statement

Paraphrase: May 10 SM was reported missing by the neighbor - 'further investigation revealed'.....the bike ride

Now, does that mean this was revealed because
1.) they found her bike away from her home &/OR
2) someone they spoke with said she either told them she was going for a ride, &/OR, it was her customary habit to take a bike ride (et voila: there's her bike! convenient)

The fact LE did not give the customary description of what she was wearing suggests to me no one saw her to be capable of verifying this

JMO

Paraphrase: May 10 SM was reported missing by the neighbor - 'further investigation revealed'.....the bike ride

2) someone they spoke with said she either told them she was going for a ride, &/OR, it was her customary habit to take a bike ride (et voila: there's her bike! convenient)

The fact LE did not give the customary description of what she was wearing suggests to me no one saw her to be capable of verifying this

JMO

This is a good point because we all wondered why there was no description given of what she was wearing at the time of her disappearance. There was nothing given out to the public except her name and an older photo of her.

Maybe that information was not given out because nobody was able to provide it to LE.

JMO
Since LE said she "reportedly" took a bike ride I'm assuming they got that information from the caller. Whether she saw her or was told by one of the daughters is not known. Jmo

This is a good point because we all wondered why there was no description given of what she was wearing at the time of her disappearance. There was nothing given out to the public except her name and an older photo of her.

Maybe that information was not given out because nobody was able to provide it to LE.
I do not ever remember a case where no height or weight was given to the public for the missing person... Maybe I am just missing it ?....moo

EK on Twitter
We'll have more on this later today on Crime Stories #SuzanneMorphew
7:46 AM - 21 May 2020

MAY 21, 2020
Police confirm sealed search warrant for home of missing Colorado mom Suzanne Morphew
Police in Colorado have confirmed that investigators have obtained a sealed search warrant for the home of missing woman Suzanne Morphew, who disappeared from her Maysville home on May 10.

As CrimeOnline previously reported, there have been conflicting reports about a possible search of Morphew’s home, but authorities have declined to comment on a report published by the Daily Mail on Wednesday showing photos of investigators and a Crime Scene Investigation van that were reportedly taken at or near the remote central Colorado home. The Daily Mail report came just hours after a Chaffee County Sherrif Public Information Officer clarified a local report claiming that authorities were searching the home on Tuesday, telling another area reporter that the home was not being searched at the time.

[...]
Thank you @PommyMommy for updating her media thread too !
For those sleuthers joining in Suzanne's disappearance we have a media thread that will catch you up fairly quickly.
It is not for discussion - just reading what MSM and approved sources are reporting about her case:
CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 , MEDIA,MAPS,TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*

Last edited:
Thank you. We also aren't sure that he wasn't asked by authorities to wait to make a plea ( if they felt a ransom request was coming etc). I'm also not focusing on the Denver situation, either there was an event or there wasn't and that is too easy to check so I believe him. If you wanted to disappear for a day you could easily say you were in the mountains camping/hunting as that's a far more difficult "story" to poke holes in. In my opinion of course.

True, we're not sure BM wasn't asked to wait on a plea. But IMO, that isn't the case.

But here's a link to the one and only live press conference held in this case to date on May 15th, almost a week ago.

At 6:59, a reporter asks, "is the husband cooperating"? Sheriff Spezze's answer was, "yes he's been cooperative at this point, we hope he continues to do so".

Last edited:
I do not ever remember a case where no height or weight was given to the public for the missing person... Maybe I am just missing it ?....moo

Oh all the time. Immediately with HB. I find the absence of it odd too.

333de584-1a51-4929-941b-69cc3801e3ab-large16x9_missingmomlatestvo.transfer_frame_203.png

exactly
IMO

Could this be a case somewhat like the unsolved case of:
Kidnapping of Sherri Papini
Or the Jayme Closs case. That perp saw her a couple of times at the end of her driveway waiting for the school bus. He went back to the house a couple of times to abduct her but there were extra folks there. He finally went back, killed the parents and abducted her, kept her for 89 days until she escaped. He never knew them before this.

Im hoping too that there will be a conclusion soon and Suzanne will be found.

It would be a nightmare if they will not be able to find her.
ITA - we have been waiting nearly a year to find Jennifer's remains - but Cheryl Coker's were found recently and so were Gannon's so there is some reason to hope.
IMO

It's not confirmed the neighbour actually saw her that day is it?

Per Nancy Grace..at 5:45 at https://www.crimeonline.com/podcast/ on May 19 podcast... "She goes on a bike ride on Mother's Day in the afternoon. She's reported missing by neighbors at 6 pm. I believe husband is 150 miles away in Denver on Mother's Day, but hey! that's just 3 hours if you are going 60 mph and you stop once to go to the bathroom. So, Nicole Partin, with that in mind, tell me what you know.

Yes Nancy, 49 year old mom missing, and apparently it's her next door neighbor that alerts authorities. She sees her and knows that she is headed out on the bikeride................." (e.d. If neighbor saw her that day, why no description like we had with Sierra Joughin?)

"...neighbor called because it was getting dark..." (e.d. dark at 6 pm???)

"husband lawyered up"

Where is Nicole Partin getting this info?

Last edited:
Per Nancy Grace..at 5:45 at https://www.crimeonline.com/podcast/ "She goes on a bike ride on Mother's Day in the afternoon. She's reported missing by neighbors at 6 pm. I believe husband is 150 miles away in Denver on Mother's Day, but hey! that's just 3 hours if you are going 60 mph and you stop once to go to the bathroom. So, Nicole Partin, with that in mind, tell me what you know.

Yes Nancy, 49 year old mom missing, and apparently it's her next door neighbor that alerts authorities. She sees her and knows that she is headed out on the bike................."

Where is Nicole Partin getting this info?

I thought that was speculation, just going by the original report. The recent DM article said she wasn't actually seen. Who knows what's true.

Summer Stehle, 43, the stepmother of 17-year-old Macy’s best friend, said: ‘The neighbors up there are spread pretty far apart but the only reason they found out [she was missing] is because the girls called the neighbors and said, ''we never heard from Mom – can you go check on her?''

‘Nobody actually saw her on her bicycle, sadly.’

Police search and carry out evidence bags from the $1.5M home of missing Colorado mom | Daily Mail Online

Early on, I remember the tree cutters seeing Sherri Papini out on her jog. As the investigation dragged on, the tree cutters disappeared. I believe half of the so-called facts out there. Husband was not at home, kids were not at home, neighbor called 911. Personal item or items have been found. House is being searched. Water was searched.

Yep -- that was some case. Couldn't see the forest for the tree-cutters, as they say.

I think the known facts here are a bit more straightforward, but also pretty sparse:

1) SM was at home alone
2) SM has disappeared
3) Her bike has been found
4) Family home and specific environs have been searched
5) She has not yet been found

I feel like fixing the window encompassing the time when she was last seen to the emergency call will be crucial, as will any evidence found in the searches. Other intruiging elements of the case -- camping trip, reward money, Indiana root beer stand, kidnapping/ransom, etc., seem likely to be noise, though I do wonder about a possible financial element.

It's worth noting also, I think, that the Occam's razor principle is most useful when there's a razor to be seen -- ie., a more likely explanation that is discernible among the explanations on offer. There are plenty of cases where there just isn't a more likely explanation backed up by reasonable evidence. Hard to say now which type this is, but I don't feel particularly positive that this will end well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member