Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #58

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advise please! We've been invited to our son and fiancee's for a cook out tomorrow. We could see our grandson, granddaughter and 2 soon to be grandsons who we haven't seen since late January. Fiancee's parents invited too who we haven't met yet. It would be outdoors with plenty of space for social distancing. Everyone there has followed strict guidelines for social distancing and masking, washing hands etc. I want to go soooo bad! We can take our own plates, utensils and pop. What do you think?
depends on the numbers in your area I would think.
I believe if outdoors, if everyone truly maintains distance and everyone wears masks except during eating while also distancing from others outside your immediate household - then I would make a quick appearance at least. You can discuss with hubby and come up with your own guidelines and always leave if you feel uncomfortable. A predetermined safe word or glance where you agree with each other to politely exit with no big scene or lecture to others, no questions asked.
I am so ready to cautiously re-enter the world. Unfortunately, while numbers are very low in my area - few are wearing masks or socially distancing. That is what is causing me to remain at home.

Advise please! We've been invited to our son and fiancee's for a cook out tomorrow. We could see our grandson, granddaughter and 2 soon to be grandsons who we haven't seen since late January. Fiancee's parents invited too who we haven't met yet. It would be outdoors with plenty of space for social distancing. Everyone there has followed strict guidelines for social distancing and masking, washing hands etc. I want to go soooo bad! We can take our own plates, utensils and pop. What do you think?

I'd be there in a hot minute. Jmo

"In a related development, the infectious disease modeling group at Imperial College London released its latest estimates yesterday for the United States and individual states. Its analysis suggests that the COVID-19 epidemic isn't under control across much of the United States, with the reproduction number still above the threshold of 1.0 in 24 states. The highest reproduction numbers cluster in the South and Midwest, where outbreaks are still developing.

The group urged states to take caution in relaxing current restrictions and warned that increased mobility following eased restrictions will lead to new spikes in COVID-19 activity, if all factors are kept constant, with a doubling of deaths or worse. Rapid testing, contact tracing, and behavioral precautions are key factors that could offset the resulting rise in transmission.

They also estimated that 4.1% (range 3.7% to 4.5%) of the US population has been infected, with wide variation among states, with a high of 16.6 % in New York. "Overall, we show that while all US states have substantially reduced their reproduction numbers, we find no evidence that any state is approaching herd immunity or that its epidemic is close to over," they wrote."

COVID-19 still rising in much of US; Brazil now 2nd hardest-hit nation

Go. Have fun.

I am going to see my daughter today. She needs me, and I need her. Yes, I am going to hug my daughter. The same as if she was still living at home.

This virus has taken so much, from so many. It is not going to make me afraid to hug my child. And it seems like, stay home forever or get the virus. The second wave is going to be a tsunami. Enjoy the Summer.

"The long-awaited study, sponsored by the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, appeared on The New England Journal of Medicine website on Friday evening. It confirms the essence of the government’s assertions: Remdesivir shortened recovery time from 15 days to 11 days in hospitalized patients. The study defined recovery as “either discharge from the hospital or hospitalization.”

[...]

"The best outcome would have been a decline in the death rate among patients given remdesivir, but there were only hints that this had occurred.

Despite generally positive results, the researchers caution that the drug is far from ideal.

“Given high mortality despite the use of remdesivir, it is clear that treatment with an antiviral drug alone is not likely to be sufficient,” they concluded."

Federal Scientists Finally Publish Remdesivir Data

We are looking at doing a staggered get together. 4-6 people at a time.

Your Son/fiancée and grandchildren would be a good start. Start out with a small group.

Everyone outside, masks, social distancing- think it’s good to start back in steps so you can see the family! Have a fun time!

*How are they going to handle the bathroom situation?

Your Son/fiancée and grandchildren would be a good start. Start out with a small group.

Everyone outside, masks, social distancing- think it’s good to start back in steps so you can see the family! Have a fun time!

*How are they going to handle the bathroom situation?
We'll pee before we go and leave when we have to pee again :D

It is a hard decision. Can they set up a laptop outside so that you can be there virtually and meet the fiancee's parents that way? The numbers are still going up in Ohio, so we are trying to not be tempted to go out for another month, but it is hard with the good weather now and the holiday weekend. Yesterday our neighbor in the back of us had a small cookout with their two young adult sons and one of them with his fiancee and her parents. And tomorrow my neighbor on the other side is having a small pool party and cookout with their immediate family - children, parents, grandparents (early 60s), sibling and their children. About 10 people. They are excited to get together. I wonder about the multi-generational gatherings, and all the contacts each person has in their own separate life and lifestyle, such as hair salon visits, Costco trips, trips to the post office, etc. And of course the children, who are often asymptomatic carriers. I guess each of us has to assess the risk of a situation and ways to mitigate risk as best we can if and when we go forward. At some point we will be compelled to do so, for various individual reasons, but since the numbers are still going up in Ohio, we are trying to wait for a few more weeks before venturing out. But that's just me/us.

Your Son/fiancée and grandchildren would be a good start. Start out small.

Everyone outside, masks, social distancing- think it’s good to start back in steps.

How are they going to handle the bathroom situation?

We plan to do staggered social distanced gatherings outside as well....
I am also wondering about the bathroom situation? The last time we visited my parents outdoors, just us four adults who had been honestly isolated I waited til we got halfway home and found a back road, LOL. My 80 yr old parents are the only people Mr Pirate and I have even been 6 feet away from since early march. ( yep no grocery, medical or anything else for real for us or my parents so we can see each other )

But...for the future if we add my kids and grand babies, how do you tell a 2 yr old no when they want a hug from gramma?

So far we have only done adults but I am interested in hearing all of your thoughts.

Go! Have a great time!

If I adhered to safety and distancing, I would go unless it's in a high outbreak area, then I would think think think like Winnie the Pooh. Consider my opinion as coming from someone that has been isolating since mid February.

Let them all know your view to be respected.

My siblings kids and grands are doing the same. All are bringing their own stuff and will distance. She will be the only one allowed in the home.

Pee before you go! hehehe.

@Tillicum
Personally I think just the one set of Grandparents at a time rather than the larger group. I would also see what the state/county situation is regarding the cases and deaths. Will you wear masks? It's a difficult one but I would not want to risk getting the disease just to meet the fiancee's parents.

ETA I have a partner with an underlying condition to think of also.

Someone suggested staggered which may be good too. You visit them first then when the fiancee's parents show up, say hello/goodbye and leave. Less time with the other grandparents lessens any viral load.

Last edited:
What's the issue with bathrooms? I honestly don't know.

Respect for the homeowner that someone asymptomatic doesn't give aerosols in their home, or contaminate a surface for others unknowingly. It's one which many take seriously, and due to respect, should not be judged MOO

It's RESPECT for others, and the hosts of the party, just like wearing a mask. They may not want to have to deal with issue of folks asking to come in their house which they have been isolating in, nor have a floorplan which doesn't allow for isolation for THEM of that area travelled through after the party.

MOO

Oh, and yeah, potentially on the other hand reverse of it to consider.

ETA: Go go go to the party and let us know how wonderful it was. I'm jealous!

Last edited:

I have a good friend in NJ, who lives in a pretty infected county there. She would always get together with the four grandkids, and their parents, but obviously stopped. But they finally decided to do the same thing that your daughter is suggesting...people were a bit nervous in the beginning, but everything went just fine for these two get-togethers they have had the last 2 Sundays. I do believe (now) that we know enough on how to be prepared.... Just got to get over the hump of doin it!!! I am sure her main concern will be for the four parents. The hardest part will be no hugs for kids.

Respect for the homeowner that someone asymptomatic doesn't give aerosols in their home, or contaminate a surface for others unknowingly. It's one which many take seriously, and due to respect, should not be judged MOO

It's RESPECT for others, and the hosts of the party, just like wearing a mask. They may not want to have to deal with issue of folks asking to come in their house which they have been isolating in, nor have a floorplan which doesn't allow for isolation for THEM of that area travelled through after the party.

MOO

Oh, and yeah, potentially on the other hand reverse of it to consider.

Well coming from someone that asked an innocent question, your use of all caps seems pretty judgmental. That goes both ways. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5Ws2Resolve