Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #59

Status
Not open for further replies.
Antibody tests used to determine if people have been infected in the past with Covid-19 might be wrong up to half the time, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in new guidance posted on its website.

Antibody tests for Covid-19 wrong half the time, CDC says - CNN

Well, we're screwed. Antibody testing is useless.

However-

From the CDC- A key CDC priority is to track COVID-19 infections to determine how much of the U.S. population is infected over time. CDC uses a variety of surveillance systems to track COVID-19 cases based on people who seek medical care. However, these systems can miss infections that occur in people who had mild or asymptomatic illness (i.e., no signs or symptoms) who did not seek medical care or get tested.

By using seroprevalence surveys, CDC can learn about the total number of people that have been infected, including those infections that might have been missed. These surveys also can help estimate how much of the population has not yet been infected, helping public health officials plan for future healthcare needs. These surveys can also track how infections progress through the population over time. This is done by taking “snap shots” of the percentage of people who have antibodies against SARS-CoV-2 (also called the seroprevalence) at different time points.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Weird how the CDC uses antibody testing in extensive research and forecasting. They are stupid.

Unless CNN has intentionally misrepresented the CDC words.

The CDC said- For example, in a population where the prevalence is 5%, a test with 90% sensitivity and 95% specificity will yield a positive predictive value of 49%. In other words, less than half of those testing positive will truly have antibodies.

Does this antibody test exist? I doubt it. This is what is called an "example". This is often used to make a point on the importance of certain parameters.

My Quest Diagnostics antibody test had 90-100% (?) sensitivity and > 99% specificity. I understand this to give a 1% false positive reading in a state where 13% of the population is believed to be infected (Imperial College). So I might get an actual false positive around 7% of the time. Incredibly useful to me and the CDC, and a far more accurate result can be obtained with a second test using different serology.

This WS forum has be very therapeutic to me trying to sort out the effects of COVID-19. I appreciate the polite back and forth, and challenging of assertions and data. It seems there are two thought processes on coronavirus and I am obviously on one side, the non-alarmist side. I'd like to believe that I am fact-based, but maybe I have biases that I don't see. At this point, I'm kind of exhausted by it and am going to check out. Stay safe my friends!

Anyway, there must be some sleuthing needed in Colorado.

There always is.

Last edited:
<modsnip>

This was just horrible, I'm still in shock about it. Our governor is very well liked, loved even by the majority of this state. This group needs to be investigated and arrested.

I know we all don't agree on starting up, staying shutdown but I really believe if many food facilities aren't up and running soon - even more trouble, restlessness will occur. This morning I went to a small Amish store here and thought to pick up another package of fish since only one serving remaining in the freezer. It was $7.49 two weeks ago, $14.99 today, same exact thing. Beef was outrageous at Kroger last week but I did get a few frozen bags of vegetables at a decent price.

Where I live I can get meats, veggies, or whatever if really needed but I believe another 30 days of soaring prices is definitely going to effect the restless. When people begin to get scared and see no way out or any hope the push back will be greater. All of this worries me very much especially more so as we enter the recession. There's no way I can support eating out when the budget is going to be stretched to have the basics. It's scary.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was just horrible, I'm still in shock about it. Our governor is very well liked, loved even by the majority of this state. This group needs to be investigated and arrested.

I know we all don't agree on starting up, staying shutdown but I really believe if many food facilities aren't up and running soon - even more trouble, restlessness will occur. This morning I went to a small Amish store here and thought to pick up another package of fish since only one serving remaining in the freezer. It was $7.49 two weeks ago, $14.99 today, same exact thing. Beef was outrageous at Kroger last week but I did get a few frozen bags of vegetables at a decent price.

Where I live I can get meats, veggies, or whatever if really needed but I believe another 30 days of soaring prices is definitely going to effect the restless. When people begin to get scared and see no way out or any hope the push back will be greater. All of this worries me very much especially more so as we enter the recession. There's no way I can support eating out when the budget is going to be stretched to have the basics. It's scary.
Why haven't they been arrested yet?

I got a 10 lb bag of frozen chicken leg quarters at a kroger affiliate (I'm across the river) for $4.90 yesterday.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/coronavirus/article242972936.html

Tyranny? Histrionic much?:rolleyes:

Do you know what a tyrant does when you call him a tyrant? He ships you off to an interment camp or just cuts to the chase and chops off your head in the town square. He definitely doesn't turn the other cheek while you frolic in his front yard.

Anti-lockdown activist stuck inside with coronavirus

“A North Carolina woman active in a movement demanding that businesses in her state be allowed to reopen was reportedly in quarantine after testing positive for coronavirus.

Audrey Whitlock, a moderator on the Facebook page "Reopen NC," missed the group's first two rallies in Raleigh, fellow organizer Ashley Smith told NBC affiliate WRAL.”

:(

Disagree all you want, but it’s absolutely possible to protest without intimidation and actually get some of what you want. To intimidate is to make someone fearful. I personally have no respect for those tactics.

Antibody tests used to determine if people have been infected in the past with Covid-19 might be wrong up to half the time, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in new guidance posted on its website.

Antibody tests for Covid-19 wrong half the time, CDC says - CNN

Well, we're screwed. Antibody testing is useless.

However-

From the CDC- A key CDC priority is to track COVID-19 infections to determine how much of the U.S. population is infected over time. CDC uses a variety of surveillance systems to track COVID-19 cases based on people who seek medical care. However, these systems can miss infections that occur in people who had mild or asymptomatic illness (i.e., no signs or symptoms) who did not seek medical care or get tested.

By using seroprevalence surveys, CDC can learn about the total number of people that have been infected, including those infections that might have been missed. These surveys also can help estimate how much of the population has not yet been infected, helping public health officials plan for future healthcare needs. These surveys can also track how infections progress through the population over time. This is done by taking “snap shots” of the percentage of people who have antibodies against SARS-CoV-2 (also called the seroprevalence) at different time points.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Weird how the CDC uses antibody testing in extensive research and forecasting. They are stupid.

Unless CNN has intentionally misrepresented the CDC words.

The CDC said- For example, in a population where the prevalence is 5%, a test with 90% sensitivity and 95% specificity will yield a positive predictive value of 49%. In other words, less than half of those testing positive will truly have antibodies.

Does this antibody test exist? I doubt it. This is what is called an "example". This is often used to make a point on the importance of certain parameters.

My Quest Diagnostics antibody test had 90-100% (?) sensitivity and > 99% specificity. I understand this to give a 1% false positive reading in a state where 13% of the population is believed to be infected (Imperial College). So I might get an actual false positive around 7% of the time. Incredibly useful to me and the CDC, and a far more accurate result can be obtained with a second test using different serology.

This WS forum has be very therapeutic to me trying to sort out the effects of COVID-19. I appreciate the polite back and forth, and challenging of assertions and data. It seems there are two thought processes on coronavirus and I am obviously on one side, the non-alarmist side. I'd like to believe that I am fact-based, but maybe I have biases that I don't see. At this point, I'm kind of exhausted by it and am going to check out. Stay safe my friends!

Anyway, there must be some sleuthing needed in Colorado.

There always is.

I hope you will come back after a short break if you need it. You bring insightful analytical points of view on issues important to this subject, and you will be missed.

The group is definitely on authorities’ radar. And its leader lost his job, according to the official page of the Frankfort car dealership he was employed at. Reason given is that they don’t tolerate threats in any form. So at least there’s that.

Disagree all you want, but it’s absolutely possible to protest without intimidation and actually get some of what you want. To intimidate is to make someone fearful. I personally have no respect for those tactics.
Sure it is. May not be as successful though. Sometimes it's useful to make politicians fear for their jobs. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M.Lee