MN - George Floyd, unarmed man killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

Mr. Floyd is a victim of a cop out of control. His actions with the store employee are not the issue here. Making this about the way he could have avoided interfacing with the cop takes away from the fact that the cop killed him. It is not "Mr. Floyd made a bad choice and should have known that an interaction with police was going to potentially harm him." Mr. Floyd might have said, "Call the police. I didn't give you the bill. " for all we know. Let's not make him the bad actor as it is all too familiar when a person of color is killed--let's look at their past, let's dissect their actions when the big egregious action is right in front of us. Mr. Floyd deserves better. IMHO.

There are many reasons to not take the bill from the store employee, including that it might not have been the bill he gave them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Owner Mahmoud Abumayyaleh says what happened on the street outside his establishment should never have ended with a man dying.

“Most of the times when patrons give us a counterfeit bill they don’t even know its fake so when the police are called there is no crime being committed just wat to know where it came from and that’s usually what takes place this was a very circumstantial event that ended in a tragedy and unfortunately we are taking a lot of animosity,” he said.

He understands people are upset but feels their anger should be used to get the arrest and conviction of those responsible for Floyd’s death.

”For those who say if the police hadn’t been called he would be alive how does that staff member feel about that may be rightfully so but we cannot predict the future if I was there things wound have been handled differently,” Abumayyaleh said.

This businesses owner says he is prepared to do what he can for the family.

“We want to offer first and foremost our deepest condolences we want to offer any support whether its financially, socially, spiritually any type of support they need,”Abumayyaleh said.

Cup Food owners say video from the store, which they have been asked not to release, shows Floyd was not resisting officers.

They have offered to pay for Floyd’s funeral expenses.
Owner Of Cup Foods, Where Police First Encountered George Floyd, Calls For Justice

From KMSP-TV Minneapolis-St. Paul:

Cup Foods Owner Says He Will Pay For George Floyd's Funeral

I can see charges being filed soon, as they should be. Chauvin showed complete disregard for human life, there was no need for so much force, and to continue kneeling on George’s neck as he begged for his life whilst being asphyxiated was cold-blooded murder.

I am not so sanguine. The authorities only need probable cause to arrest someone. And, it is not their job to find exculpatory evidence, that is the job of the defense. I think the DA made a very reckless statement that poured fire on an explosive situation.

So, I have no idea what will happen.

I am not so sanguine. The authorities only need probable cause to arrest someone. And, it is not their job to find exculpatory evidence, that is the job of the defense. I think the DA made a very reckless statement that poured fire on an explosive situation.

So, I have no idea what will happen.
It's their job to look at all relevant evidence whether exculpatory or not. I can't see what could be exculpatory here though.

NYPD issues officer safety alert after Brooklyn man's 'cop killings' online threat

The internal memo was sent to officers Thursday amid protests in New York and other U.S. cities over the death in Minneapolis of George Floyd, a black man who, while handcuffed, pleaded for air as a white police officer kneeled on his neck.

The NYPD alert advises officers that the Brooklyn man named Khaalid Anderson, 26, issued a threat on social media, saying, “Cop killings are gonna be a thing... somebody gotta die.”

How many black employees are without their livelihood now that the stores have been destroyed? How many black families will be inconvenienced now that target has been destroyed?

It's comforting to hear so much concern about this right now.

I hope we are just as concerned about how afraid those families feel for their children every time they set foot anywhere near law enforcement, or jog into places where they might not be welcome, in case a bunch of guys in a truck decide to chase them down with guns.

I hope we are just as concerned about how agonized those families feel every time they see someone who looks like them mistreated by the police - on camera even - and there are no consequences for the officers.

I hope we are concerned about how it felt for those families to see a woman in Central Park say out loud that she was going to intentionally use the police to get revenge on a black man.

The NYPD alert advises officers that the Brooklyn man named Khaalid Anderson, 26, issued a threat on social media, saying, “Cop killings are gonna be a thing... somebody gotta die.”

Yes, there are all sorts of threats on social media against cops. Many are not verified and they are retweeted by bots. Not every forum is moderated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa