MN - George Floyd, unarmed man killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by Tippy Lynn, May 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herat

Herat Way out West

This is perplexing and perhaps another problem for the MPD:

The late George Floyd and officer Derek Chauvin knew each other, having both worked security at a Minneapolis bar.

This seems now to make this a more personal crime. (IMHO)

2. Shadow205

Shadow205 Well-Known Member

I would like to see the video that shows from LE's first contact to where Mr. Floyd is on the ground. Were the Officers wearing body cams? If so have their videos been released?

3. Jackielee09

Jackielee09 Former Member

Omg! I just wish one of the other officers went up to chauvin and drop kicked him. Goes back to
    If you see something say something and better yet DO something

4. SoCalDavidS

SoCalDavidS Well-Known Member

There are 3 types of cops. Some are professional and respectful. Some are willing to use their power and authority to do whatever they want with impunity, lying and committing crimes along the way. The third are those who support, back up, and lie for the others committing the crimes.

I'd like to think there are many in the first category, but the ones in the latter two seem to be far more prevalent, which is why I have very little regard for law enforcement officers the older I get.

5. DD8

DD8 Lost is not alone

Appreciate the reply but that wasn't my question

Marg from Oz likes this.
  6. DD8

DD8 Lost is not alone

Exactly.

7. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

Yes, even if the victim was running from them or acting strange or was "drunk" (as described by the caller) it was obvious that once he was restrained, handcuffed with his hands behind his back and lying prone on the ground, he was no longer a threat. He wasn't struggling or even moving at that point.

Then, after saying he couldn't breathe and bystanders told the officers he couldn't breathe, pleading with them to stop, the officer continuing to kneel on his neck, with all his weight, for another 7 or 8 minutes!

Why didn't they just lift him off the ground and put in him in the vehicle? Why continue to put pressure on his neck for another 4 or 5 minutes AFTER he had lost consciousness and appeared to be dead? The people recording them were pleading with the cops to stop and they were helpless to intervene. They had to stand by and witness a man struggling for breath and then dying. All while the officer leaned on his neck. It had to be agonizing for George Floyd to die that way. It was a controlled and deliberate action by the police officer. Not once did he check for a pulse or show any concern for a human life.

The people at the store said he was not resisting when officers arrived. The owner said if he was there he would have handled it differently. That tells me that Floyd may have been provoked in some way. We'll have to wait to see what the rest of the footage, and witnesses statements reveal.

Imo

8. BayouBelle_LA

BayouBelle_LA Well-Known Member

There is a longer video but only a screen shot at link. Click on ‘Screenshot NBC News/YouTube’ it will take you to the video.

9. Cubby

Cubby fly the W!

This is an accurate description, well said and I hope you don't mind my using it as a springboard.

Seeing the side by side of Chauvin on his knee and Kaepernick on his knee really bother me. Viewing it makes me feel like Chauvin was mocking Kaepernick. Like a knee to the neck is the new rope and a tree.

This case has effected me like no other case of police brutality.

10. SoCalDavidS

11. JMapes

JMapes Well-Known Member

Theo Keith on Twitter

#BREAKING: Officer Derek Chauvin has been taken into custody by state authorities, Public Safety Commissioner John Harrington says.

12. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

Not only did he kneel on his neck as he pleaded for air, he continued to do so for several minutes after the victim appeared to be limp and lifeless. As the people watching begged them to stop, the other officers just stood by and watched.

13. Dre

Dre Well-Known Member

JUST CAME TO POST THIS AWESOME NEWS!!!!

so. happy. may justice be served and may the many communities heal and be restored. sigh of relief

FINALLY

Theo Keith on Twitter
    #BREAKING: Officer Derek Chauvin has been taken into custody by state authorities, Public Safety Commissioner John Harrington says.

14. SoCalDavidS

Good news. Should have happened by last Tuesday.

15. DD8

DD8 Lost is not alone

Now that the officer has been arrested, will the protestors and looters help clean up their city? I sure hope so. That would be great to see IMO

16. Anance

Anance Well-Known Member

I didn't think it would happen today. How could you be so sure?

Marg from Oz and Willow Knight like this.
  17. IceIce9

IceIce9 Well-Known Member

So now the rioting and looting should stop immediately. If people continue to steal we will know that their true motive is simply greed.

18. BayouBelle_LA

BayouBelle_LA Well-Known Member

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

I understood that none of them gave an account of what happened. They all pled the fifth.

Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2020
  19. Simply Southern

Simply Southern Well-Known Member

So these business owners won't be expecting the state or federal government to fund cost to replace their business. I guess, they won't be filing lawsuits for failure to protect their businesses.

That's a relief....

20. Simply Southern

Simply Southern Well-Known Member

YES!!!! Not removing his knee, when the man was clearly in distress is unlawful!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.