Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quotes of BM concerning mountain lion:

"Um the first night there was a mountain lion. The officer seen it walk by the car so we thought maybe she got attacked by a lion."
"My concerns were this way and that way if it was the cat because the cats they dragged their prey up the mountain and out of people's... we can't find sign for the cat but we got rain like right away that could've washed away a sign."

I interpret those statements as, on the first night BM was not the only one to consider a mountain lion as a possible explanation of what happened to SM. He says "we thought"
He states he was undecided about the cat;
"My concerns were this way and that way if it was the cat."
Nobody found a sign for the cat but they got rain which could have destroyed the sign.
I see this as him still holding out hope that some answer, no matter how awful, might yet be found. He statement tells me he's still undecided about the cat.
I don't see these statements he made showing that BM "pushing the mountain lion story."

ETA:
Statements are from the transcript made by Tyler / Youtube video that was approved by WS.
I think that the “personal item(s)” the police recovered in connection with SM as well as the location/position of her bike would indicate heavily to LE whether an animal abduction was likely. I don’t think LE was looking for a lions’ den when they excavated the concrete slab.

All respectfully IMO

Quotes of BM concerning mountain lion:

"Um the first night there was a mountain lion. The officer seen it walk by the car so we thought maybe she got attacked by a lion."
"My concerns were this way and that way if it was the cat because the cats they dragged their prey up the mountain and out of people's... we can't find sign for the cat but we got rain like right away that could've washed away a sign."

I interpret those statements as, on the first night BM was not the only one to consider a mountain lion as a possible explanation of what happened to SM. He says "we thought"
He states he was undecided about the cat;
"My concerns were this way and that way if it was the cat."
Nobody found a sign for the cat but they got rain which could have destroyed the sign.
I see this as him still holding out hope that some answer, no matter how awful, might yet be found. He statement tells me he's still undecided about the cat.
I don't see these statements he made showing that BM "pushing the mountain lion story."

ETA:
Statements are from the transcript made by Tyler / Youtube video that was approved by WS.
One small point about BM saying his concerns were this way and that way. He was gesturing with both arms pointing up the road (this way) and then up the hill behind him (that way). The rest of his sentence was “ because the cats they drag their prey up the mountain.”
IMO he was talking geographically, not on his thoughts flip flopping. If you are just reading the transcript without seeing the video, I can see how one could interpret it that way.

I believe he is innocent for sure. Is it possible she fell with her bike into the ravine, was injured and a mountain lion got her? Other than that I believe she was abducted. That sheriff should have been talking to everyone right from the start to see if anyone saw someone suspicious and he should let known the personal item of hers he found.

One small point about BM saying his concerns were this way and that way. He was gesturing with both arms pointing up the road (this way) and then up the hill behind him (that way). The rest of his sentence was “ because the cats they drag their prey up the mountain.”
IMO he was talking geographically, not on his thoughts flip flopping. If you are just reading the transcript without seeing the video, I can see how one could interpret it that way.
I think he's getting disgusted. He's not happy about the investigation.

I think that the “personal item(s)” the police recovered in connection with SM as well as the location/position of her bike would indicate heavily to LE whether an animal abduction was likely. I don’t think LE was looking for a lions’ den when they excavated the concrete slab.

All respectfully IMO

For the record, I don't think LE was looking for a lion's den at the job site either. And I don't know anything about the location or position of SM's bike. Maybe I missed that.

JMO
The cougar details surprised me because surely LE would poll all of their officers to see which one saw the thing go in front of a vehicle.

So either that really happened or more circumstantial evidence.

I remember reading over and over that the sheriff did not think an animal attack was likely so it is a big disconnect to hear this referenced in the conversation between BM and Tyson. BM says "..so WE thought maybe she got attacked by a lion.."

The sheriff has said all along this was unlikely. How many LE officers were in discussion with BM over a mountain lion attack? And quite frankly my experience in mountains with lions is that you will find their tracks, dens, hear them but not SEE them. If there were a bunch of people in the mountains at night, I highly doubt any mountain lion would be sticking around and showing itself. Regardless we won't know who saw, who thought what, only LE involved will know.
Suzanne Morphew Missing: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

"This video has been removed by the uploader." Maybe BM did come after him (legally, I mean).

@riolove77 @Alethea
Can one of our esteemed attorneys say whether or not the "one-party recording" rule I see noted as being okay in CO is valid if one party specifically asks to not be recorded?

Maybe he received a cease and desist letter from BM's attorney tied to defamation of character?

JMO

I’m stuck on one word in this video. Article.

Nobody has ever called what LE found an “article.” LE and MSM have always said ‘they found what they believe to be a personal item of Suzanne’s’.

It could be nothing. But rewatching it, I feel like Barry catches himself several times from saying things, and this was one of them. When we say the word article, we usually say “article of clothing”. He stopped himself and said they won’t tell us what it was.

It’s odd to me that he chose the word article.

It reminds me of the time LS said ‘plywood’ when she spoke of the board found in the woods when she was rambling to that girl on the phone or to crime online (I can’t remember which). It turned out to be a big piece of plywood, but none of us knew that then. In fact, nobody knew that until the AA was released.

JMO MOO IMO

Last edited:
I believe he is innocent for sure. Is it possible she fell with her bike into the ravine, was injured and a mountain lion got her? Other than that I believe she was abducted. That sheriff should have been talking to everyone right from the start to see if anyone saw someone suspicious and he should let known the personal item of hers he found.

We have no clue if they have done so, and ripping LE apart when we DON’T know what actions they have taken, who they have questioned, how much time they have spent canvassing the area asking questions or reviewing video, what evidence they may already have, isn't something I am willing to do.
JMO MOO IMO

@RickshawFan. It appears that you are quoting my post inaccurately. In this case, I believe it's the transcript of BM's interview with youtuber. When you quote only a portion of a post, you need to indicate just that by adding SBM (snipped by me) to your post to clearly indicate who/what you are quoting. Thanks for your courtesy.
Yes, I was quoting the transcript. I apologize if that wasn't clear.

I really doubt BM just "jumped out of the truck and started talking to him." TD is a complete stranger. I think he totally misrepresented himself and pretended he wanted to help search. What BM spent time telling him is the areas that had been extensively searched and because the areas have been extensively searched, they don't believe SM was the victim of a mountain lion attack.

He calls it a "raw interview" but interviews with media are done with permission and the media must identify themselves. TD lied to BM and BM may have revealed to him details that the media don't know. TD is pretending he wants to help find SM but what he's really doing is trying to find out what BM knows about the case. He's also bending over backwards trying to implicate BM. <modsnip: Removed accusation.>

JMO
Random members of the public are not welcome to just show up and do rogue searches and BM knows this. The sherrif said this, too. So they both seem to have had ulterior motives in speaking to each other.

And who among us would turn off our phones if we were speakung to BM ? You'd be crazy to do that because if BM slipped up and said something incriminating, no one would believe you. You might not put it on YT, but I bet that most of us would lie to a potential suspect if we thought we could get answers and justice in a case.

I think that SM is the person who was really duped in the grand scheme of things, and a 30 second video is a shameful "effort" on behalf of a wife of 20 years. Why are so many worked up over this -- after all, LE is allowed to lie to suspects to get to the truth!

I contend that it is impossible for it to have been a mountain lion kill as BM suggests. A mountain lion would not drag anything up a hill/mountain but down it. The search was immediate so remains would have been found and as there were people all over that area any wildlife predator would have been flushed out of the vicinity. Wildlife doesn't hang around when there are a lot of people. Without getting gruesome there would have been remains had it been wildlife. Think about it.
Mountain Lion Signs.

Only BM protesting a mountain lion attack would make me believe in his innocence even LESS

I've lived in the Rockies for a good long time

I've lived where brown bears, or grizzlies if you will, can polish off a couple people & days later: plenty of evidence...it ain't pretty

A mountain lion taking down a woman, killing her & etc: this isn't in the wilds: this is a trail system near housing, human population- her bike was found...stands to reason she would have been - I'd imagine other hikers/bikers on trail would have seen the grisly signs of a vicious wild animal attack

If she were taken down: there would be evidence, I won't go into the details of what would be found - but she would have

And even that evening: mere hours later - you'd still have plenty of evidence. Hair, clothes, bone, etc - SAR would have found her. Dogs would have her scent

There was no mountain lion, or other wild animal, attack. Preposterous & BM jumping on that band wagon tells me more than I wish to know about him
JMO

All respectfully IMO

It obviously bothers BM the way “they” “they” “they” handled ALL of the bike situation. Too many people” touched “ and “walked” through the clues.
One doth protest too much maybe...

MOO

I contend that it is impossible for it to have been a mountain lion kill as BM suggests. A mountain lion would not drag anything up a hill/mountain but down it. The search was immediate so remains would have been found and as there were people all over that area any wildlife predator would have been flushed out of the vicinity. Wildlife doesn't hang around when there are a lot of people. Without getting gruesome there would have been remains had it been wildlife. Think about it.
Mountain Lion Signs.

Amen to that! Posting while I was

Great minds & all, lol ;)
IMO ahem

As far as the mountain lion story, it seems impossible and bothers me that BM is using that as a viable possibility. What is the likelihood a mountain lion could attack a grown woman, knock her bike into a ravine and drag her up a mountainside with no trace? He says it rained, okay well rain doesn't disintegrate torn clothing, gear etc. It would be a mess. It is safe to assume she was wearing a bike helmet so her head would be protected and she would have fought. To incapacitate her enough to drag her off, I would think we would see plenty of evidence of such a gruesome attack.
Agreed, and as far as I know mountain lions don't eat helmets, clothes and shoes ......

I know exactly where my bike is and any serious biker does. I could easily tell a neighbor to go check the side of the garage for a blue bike. Do people really think you just leave your bike wherever... like a 10 year old? There are things to be legitimately suspicious about but when people grasp at straws, it gets ridiculous. Fury without any thought.
I sometimes keep my bike in my bedroom. I wouldn't want to hose it down there, though. And sometimes, if I bump into a friend-rider, it might end up on the back of their car. And sometimes, the fella at the shop promised to adjust the brakes, so it's there for a moment. And sometimes pesky family just moves the bikes around in the garage to get to theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member