Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally agree. What stands out, to me, is BM’s detailed description of where and how the bike was found. Unless he saw a photo of the bike in situ, how does he know the wheel was facing anything? How does he know LE allowed cars and people to destroy evidence? That whole statement about the bike and LE destroying evidence doesn’t sit right with me. He has the FBI, CBI, Sheriff’s office and other agencies investigating his wife’s disappearance. That’s a huge response, all dedicated to finding his wife, but he wants to criticizing their methods.

I also think BM tends to exaggerate. The tours his buddy did and the 200 mile radius he and his group searched are improbable claims, at best. To be fair, he could simply be misspeaking but, to me, it looks like he’s trying too hard to show what a great husband he is. I’m such a devoted husband. I’m offering a huge reward and searching the entire state to find my wife!

BBM

Agree 100%. I thought the same thing. I also found it strange his mom was with him, I amso perplexed by all of this. The first video showed the “Day #4” bag that he found with food and “dessert” in it. Strange, most have chalked it up to it falling from a hiker’s pack. I just wondered if there was more to it. Was an underlying investigation happening and therefore reason the FBI was there almost immediately along with other expense intensive resources? I think we have only peeled back the top layer of the onion here.

Discrepancy in Media Coverage?
H'mmmm.........SM's hometown Anderson, Indiana Herald newspaper has featured this story nine times, while the Chaffee County Times (Colorado) has not run the story at all. Could it be that people in Chaffee County just don't talk as much?
heraldbulletin.com
chaffeecountytimes.com | The Chaffee County Times | Buena Vista, Chaffee County Colorado, breaking news, entertainment, sports, classifieds
@David F. :) bbm Yes, definitely possible that Chaffee County residents are more close mouthed than their counterparts BM's hometown Hoosier state.

Without even looking at ^ websites, I'll venture guesses at other possible differences.
1. Maybe Indiana paper has a bigger "newshole" (more column-inches/non-ad-space to fill, at least in hardcopy version). Runs a story, then shuffles a few parapraphs, runs again, then does a slight re-tread, runs again, etc.) than local CO. paper?
2. W longer-term & larger numbers of social & family ties in IN than CO, maybe more ppl affiliated w M family have encouraged paper to to provide more coverage? Maybe more human interest stories in IN than the crime angle in CO?
3. Maybe local CO economy more tourist-focused, so locals tend to downplay crime?
4.. Maybe w Chaffee LE being less forthcoming to public, maybe directly asking owner/pulblisher/editor in chief to gloss over this particular story, paper has followed suit? IDK, all possibilities imo.

Or like you said ^? Anyway, @David F., thanks for all your posts - maps, geo info, etc - thru-out this sad case. Some facts & great analysis to "get the little grey cells" going, as Hercules Poirot says.

Last edited:
Well, IMO it would put an end to all the speculation about BM. I’ve seen cases where significant others are cleared, such as Mollie Tibbits and Heidi Broussard, so that all the rumors could be put to rest.

If they have evidence that could clear an innocent man, the advantage would be to stop all tips/information regarding that person and focus on the real killer/abductor. Why wouldn’t LE do that? MOO
Why would LE worry about about speculation about BM? They have asked that the rumors stop, haven't they? The spent considerable resources investigating a tip that proved to be unrelated to the case. They still have a tip line, don't they? imo, finding SM is far more a priority with LE and BM than "clearing" BM or having to waste their time asking that unfounded rumors stop.

JMO

I missed the video. It has been removed.

Quote from Wiki page for "Gift of Fear" by Gavin De Becker:

"Too many details. If a person is lying they will add excessive details to make themselves sound more credible to their chosen victim".

Regarding BM's lack of emotion described by many of those who did see the video

Some men of his age were strongly discouraged from showing emotion when they were very young. Some were punished if they did, and it stays with them for life. They can't even access their emotions as grown ups even when they want to, and it would be appropriate to do so. My father, brother and ex husband were all like this. I have known a LOT of men who never revealed their emotions, except maybe anger. ("Stiff upper lip").

Goes for women too. Growing up we were not permitted to show emotion in my home. The morning my beloved dad died in my arms after a long hard struggle, I drove home, picked up my 12 yr old and took him to the mall to buy a cordless phone. No tears. Numb and exhausted. Didn't cry at the funeral. Took me years to actually shed tears, which I did in private.

He might be completely distraught and destroyed, but don't expect to see it on the outside.
Everyone is different.

Gavin DeBecker is awesome.
Yes, everyone is different when it comes to showing emotion. Upbringing, environment and being overwhelmed will certainly do affect what we show. Our brains also are a factor and they can change over time or through injury or stress.
So many perpetrators have cognitive issues.

I've read mention of SM's helmet, but her shoes, I don't recall too many references to her shoes. I would assume that a biker would have a set pair or two of shoes. I wonder if she had shoes that locked into her pedals? That alone could cause a nasty injury with a fall. I don't think a mountain lion would eat cleated shoes....I guess it's possible but highly unlikely. If nothing else BM should be aware of her bicycling shoes. moo

At one point during the video BM pointed up the hillside and said to TD that the Colorado Trail runs from here all the way to Denver. TD didn’t ask him about the Colorado Trail but BM offered that information anyway.

I looked it up and the CT can be traveled on foot, 4WD, bike, by car.

Traveling the CT

‘There are many ways to enjoy The Colorado Trail, from a day-hike, bike or ride, to a multi-day trip through some of the state’s best backcountry, to an end-to-end excursion beginning in either Denver or Durango. There are dozens of access points to the CT’s 567 miles of trail. These are accessible by car, 4-wheel-drive, bike, horse, on foot, or even by train.’

Traveling the CT - Colorado Trail Foundation
My Bold vs. My Bold italics:
This does NOT mean you can travel on the trail by car and 4-wheel drive or train! It refers to “access points” as accessible. It means you can get to the trailheads with those means of transportation.
The trail is wide enough for a bike. Not even a bike and a hiker. I don’t know if horses are allowed.

Can you give us an idea of how deep and how fast the river is running? I used to live by a river that in the summer was about two feet deep and sluggish but during the spring it came over the banks over 6 feet high and moved very fast. This river was about 30 feet wide where I lived but widened as much as 50 feet in places and narrowed in areas that you could jump across it. It emptied into Georgian Bay.

The depth of a mountain stream is difficult to determine, but the minimum average stream flow at Nathrop, which is below Monarch Pass was 482 Gallons per minute minimum during May 2020. For comparison, my city block has 24 houses that water their lawns using 1.5 horsepower shallow well water pumps which move 21.3 gallons per minute. If we are all sprinkling at the same time, which we are prone to doing on hot summer weekends, we are pumping 553.8 gallons per minute. If we had to depend on the South Arkansas River, we would be "up the creek without a paddle", as they say; and our lawns would brown very quickly after we sucked the "river" dry. IMO

USGS Current Conditions for USGS 07091200 ARKANSAS RIVER NEAR NATHROP, CO
Goulds J7S JS+ Series - 21.3 GPM 3/4 HP Cast Iron Shallow Well Jet Pump

The "personal item" belonging to SM found by LE searchers was announced in the Chaffee County Sheriff Bulletin dated Friday May 15, 2020. The bicycle was discovered the morning of Monday May 11, 2020. It is doubtful that the two were in close proximity. IMO
HWY 50 Temporary Closure for Search for missing woman - Chaffee County Sheriff
Thanks, Dave. For some reason, I thought the bike was found on May 10, 2020. If it was found on May, 11, BM may have been there and was asked to identify it.

JMO

bbm
The video with his mom and the U-haul truck ?
Wonder what was being transported ?
Yes, it's a nosy question.

I am going to find a link and will post it here if possible.

Eta :Imo, At least his family is supporting him, even if few others.
Wonder if that will change ?
By he way, there was a 3rd video as well ... Ty’s observations and reactions to his interview with Barry. As for what was being hauled, we don’t know, but apparently they were on their way to Walmart ... according to Ty’s post-interview report he saw them there himself, much to his (Ty’s) surprise. Indeed, it was quite a day for Ty!

Last edited:
BBM
Agree 100%. I thought the same thing. I also found it strange his mom was with him, I am so perplexed by all of this.
The first video showed the “Day #4” bag that he found with food and “dessert” in it. Strange, most have chalked it up to it falling from a hiker’s pack. I just wondered if there was more to it. Was an underlying investigation happening and therefore reason the FBI was there almost immediately along with other expense intensive resources? I think we have only peeled back the top layer of the onion here.
bbm
Ita.
Also found it odd his mother was with him.
Was she helping him search the ravines and gullies ?
Doubtful.
Imo.

According to Reporter Lauren Scharf (FB Live), TN initially gave reporters specific parameters on how to contact him for answers to limited, predefined issues but that he simply stopped responding on May 17. Members here have observed that the Official Missing FB page for SM also ceased updating on this date. I don't believe TN under any obligation here and may be honoring requests larger than the public's desire to know.

To my knowledge, TN was the sole source that provided MSM that the bike was located on Sunday. No information has been confirmed by LE. However, based on BM's interview on 5/31, it seems to me that BM most likely informed TN when the bike was recovered.

The next unconfirmed MSM bike news came from others including the bike was located 1) leaning against a tree; 2) leaning on a bridge; and most recently 3) located under the bridge -- all which seem to be incorrect if you believe BM (and Fire Chief) that bike was located in a ravine.

MOO
Maybe TN got some information that led him to believe there was no point in continuing to search and/or update the Facebook page?

By he way, there was a 3rd video as well ... Ty’s observations and reactions to his interview with Barry. As for what was being hauled, we don’t know, but apparently they were in their way to Walmart ... according to Ty’s post-interview report he saw them there himself, much to his (Ty’s) surprise. Indeed, it was quite a day for Ty!
Wow, quite a day for random encounters with what otherwise has been perceived as a unicorn!

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

Here’s my issue: if he’s *that* awful, boorish, etc., how did he fool SM for as long as he did?

if she’s vibrant, friendly, smart, how was she fooled for 32 YEARS?

I think the answer lies in this: there are no absolutes. Not sure where I’m going with this.... feel free to chime in.

Last edited by a moderator:
By he way, there was a 3rd video as well ... Ty’s observations and reactions to his interview with Barry. As for what was being hauled, we don’t know, but apparently they were in their way to Walmart ... according to Ty’s post-interview report he saw them there himself, much to his (Ty’s) surprise. Indeed, it was quite a day for Ty!
bbm
Thanks. ^^^

I thought it was in the first video before the awkward 'interview'.

Although now after more thought, maybe not awkward and they knew each other from before the move to CO ?

And what a surprise to see each other out there in the woods !
Plus WalMart !
What are the odds ...
Imo.

I've read mention of SM's helmet, but her shoes, I don't recall too many references to her shoes. I would assume that a biker would have a set pair or two of shoes. I wonder if she had shoes that locked into her pedals? That alone could cause a nasty injury with a fall. I don't think a mountain lion would eat cleated shoes....I guess it's possible but highly unlikely. If nothing else BM should be aware of her bicycling shoes. moo

Great point about clip-on pedals which some mountain bikers use. If her bike had clip-on pedals then it means her shoes would have the clip-on part as part of the bottom of the shoe.

If she had clip-on pedals on the bike, then her shoes were a special clip-on shoe to go with it. They work hand in hand. Video link shows and explains them.

ETA - The obvious importance of this is if they ever find her body and her bike had those type of pedals but her shoes were not her clip-on shoes, then it proves she did not ride that bike that day. Same if they find her only pair of clip-on shoes at home and her bike has clip-on pedals. You cannot ride a bike with clip-on pedals without special shoes. Well, you can, but you wont be riding very far like that because it just doesnt work out.

Last edited:
Edited* Clarification.
The depth of a mountain stream is difficult to determine, but the minimum average stream flow at Nathrop, which is below Monarch Pass was 482 Gallons per minute minimum during May 2020. For comparison, my city block has 24 houses that water their lawns using 1.5 horsepower shallow well water pumps which move 21.3 gallons per minute. If we are all sprinkling at the same time, which we are prone to doing on hot summer weekends, we are pumping 553.8 gallons per minute. If we had to depend on the South Arkansas River, we would be "up the creek without a paddle", as they say; and our lawns would brown very quickly after we sucked the "river" dry. IMO

USGS Current Conditions for USGS 07091200 ARKANSAS RIVER NEAR NATHROP, CO
Goulds J7S JS+ Series - 21.3 GPM 3/4 HP Cast Iron Shallow Well Jet Pump
Your posts are always some of my faves. Love the data sprinkled with dry humor. Gold.

Could they use drones? I don't know if they could work for the trees, or if there are different trails where a drone could be used. My brain over thinking! :)
I’ll bet they could potentially. They’re now used for search and rescue. But this is not open terrain, except in some areas. And there are deep folds, spurs, and ravines. You can’t see in those.Very few places have a trail running through them, even though there’s a major trail. 20 yards from the trail, and you’ve got wilderness. This is huge geography.
I have a friend who went missing years ago in a plane crash. They never found the crash site...Then there’s the woman who went missing off the AT in Maine. They didn’t find her; years later, someone happened upon her tent with skeleton in the woods. She was a mere mile or so from a road, and not far from where she was last seen. No amount of thorough searching helped.

bbm
Thanks. ^^^

I thought it was in the first video before the awkward 'interview'.

Although now after more thought, maybe not awkward and they knew each other from before the move to CO ?

And what a surprise to see each other out there in the woods !
Plus WalMart !
What are the odds ...
Imo.

Yes! What are the odds of catching them on their way to the nearest Walmart that is 117 miles away? That's phenomenal luck, IMO
https://www.mystore411.com/store/list_state/3/Colorado/Walmart-store-locations
خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-06-01 Google Maps.png
    Screenshot_2020-06-01 Google Maps.png
    579.9 KB · Views: 18
JMO
I am still on the fence as a few others but I am leaning toward what LE may have thought the other day when they did the search under some concrete.

To entertain the possibility of an abductor who is not from the immediate family, there is only one scenario that I could entertain.

She is riding her bike and has a wreck off the side of that road because of loose gravel. She is injured but manages to climb back to the road surface to begin her walk home. A random person driving by offers her a lift and things go south from there.

The odds of a random person taking advantage of her situation doesnt seem too likely. What is even more unlikely to me is some random person knowing her driving routine and waiting for her. So if I am considering some abductor not from the family, then it would have to be some random person that would have been on that road by chance, and that person would have to be a serious criminal type person for them to have decided to take advantage of an injured bicyclist.

It is a hard pill to swallow that theory IMO. Anything is possible but I just cannot see that right now. A cougar attack would be more likely than that and I dont like the cougar theory very much right now either.
It is entirely possible SM was encountered riding her bicycle by a stranger abductor in a vehicle. That's exactly what happened to Sierah Joughin. LE found evidence the perp had other victims. He had previously served time in prison for attempting to abduct a woman who escaped. As far as the cat theory, BM made it clear on the youtube videos I saw that LE is who spotted the cat and a thorough search of the area found no evidence to support it attacked SM.

James Worley: Ohio murder suspect had hidden room with freezer - CNN

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members