Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #61

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had actually settled down for a nap but couldn’t sleep because the whole concept is terrifying moo, that someone would knowingly put his own people at risk like that, despite pleadings and warnings and all the data that is out there.

Either you’re part of the problem or you’re part of the solution for the coronavirus pandemic. Holding mass gathering(s) in indoor spaces with no restrictions? Makes no sense. Other countries must be watching this with their jaws on the floor.

I have much to say but cannot say it-- i will leave it at that. If people decide to go there they need their respective heads examined.
You see something you like, you get your size and take it to the register.
No touching every shirt in your size as you go through the selection at TJ Max.
I cringe now at the thought of using a dressing room.
JMO

I am not going to any retail store for clothes: I love shopping- I love Steinmart! i touch everything - i love to feel the material- i love to try on clothes-- and I miss it terribly but i will not go because i will not feel comfortable touching any clothes or going into a fitting room. I would not feel safe buying any clothes. It is so sad we can no longer do that safely. Life has become surreal.

Been doing the Genealogy thing for my family on my wife's Ancestry.Com Tree. Found out my Grandmother's brother's wife died in Oct of 1918. Influenza per death certificate. She was 20 years old, married two years. Although I have no proof I suspect she died of the Spanish Flu. Left behind a daughter who lived with another aunt because her dad became disabled. He lived his final 5 years with my Grandmother and Grandfather.

I queried an older cousin who was familiar with the story. I never had knowledge of the events.

Sad and hard times. We are so lucky with the available medical care we have today. Stay safe all.

I just saw this. A documentary that has been published. David A (who we followed with his wife..from England in the hospital in the first threads) recommended, and that is how I found it. Posting prior to watching, but David says it is a very good and accurate accounting.

It's 48 minutes long, so I'll do perhaps ETAs.

ETA#1 - Talks about Mark J, who we also followed his blog with his wife on these threads in the early days... it says that he had a kidney transplant in 2015. Did not know this

Last edited:
our restrictions have lifted a little and we're allowed a social circle of 10
our family has way more than that so no family gatherings yet
but we did go to see my Mom today and tried to social distance sitting outside in chairs 6 ft. from each other
brought her some hand sanitizer and potato salad
but I totally forgot to wear a mask!!!
so annoyed with myself

I keep a bag of masks in the car. I have been working on making my own masks, but I am still working on it.

Old Navy is selling masks, they probably are not great, but I ordered 10 from their website.

And someone here was selling masks at the Farmers Market, I bought ten from her the other day.

Masks are here to stay for awhile. I have a stack at work, in the car, and at home.

Racism 'could play a part in BAME Covid deaths'

Factors such as racism and social inequality may have contributed to increased risks of black, Asian and minority communities catching and dying from Covid-19, a leaked report says.

Historic racism may mean that people are less likely to seek care or to demand better personal protective equipment, it says.

The Public Health England draft, seen by the BBC, contains recommendations.

Other possible factors include risks linked to occupation, it said.

And inequalities in conditions such as diabetes may increase disease severity.

The report, the second by PHE on the subject, pointed to racism and discrimination as a root cause affecting health and the risk of both exposure to the virus and becoming seriously ill.

It said stakeholders expressed "deep dismay, anger, loss and fear in their communities" as data emerged suggesting Covid-19 was "exacerbating existing inequalities".

And it found "historic racism and poorer experiences of healthcare or at work" meant individuals in BAME groups were less likely to seek care when needed or to speak up when they had concerns about personal protective equipment or risk.

The report concluded: "The unequal impact of Covid-19 on BAME communities may be explained by a number of factors ranging from social and economic inequalities, racism, discrimination and stigma, occupational risk, inequalities in the prevalence of conditions that increase the severity of disease including obesity, diabetes, hypertension and asthma."

Recommendations and more at link.

jjenny posted:
Lockdown, in a nursing home, doesn't actually mean they are all staying put. You still have nurses and other personnel going in and out of the home. I believe a lot of them might work in different places, and not just that single nursing home. Then you have residents, which I believe were still allowed to go to outside doctors appointments, and so on. So there are many ways to catch it, even in lockdown. Lockdown limits the ways to catch it, but certainly doesn't eliminate these ways.

In my mom's retirement home it is very strictly locked down. There are 200 residents, and none have tested positive for CV19 so far. And only one staff member tested positive, but that was in early April.

The staff is not allowed to work in other nursing homes. Just this one.

And the personnel are not having any personal physical contact with the residents. Everything is by phone, or talking through the apartment door. And if they need to speak in person, both are masked and 6 feet apart.

The residents are urged to have their doctors appointments by phone, FaceTime or Zoom. My mom has not seen her cardiologist for 3 months and it does worry us. But he said it was more important for her to stay in her apartment for now. She is 89.

All the meals are being dropped off at their front doors, and they place the trays etc outside their doors when done.

Their mail is delivered to their rooms as well. My Mom is getting a bit tired of it. But she understands.

jjenny posted:

In my mom's retirement home it is very strictly locked down. There are 200 residents, and none have tested positive for CV19 so far. And only one staff member tested positive, but that was in early April.

The staff is not allowed to work in other nursing homes. Just this one.

And the personnel are not having any personal physical contact with the residents. Everything is by phone, or talking through the apartment door. And if they need to speak in person, both are masked and 6 feet apart.

The residents are urged to have their doctors appointments by phone, FaceTime or Zoom. My mom has not seen her cardiologist for 3 months and it does worry us. But he said it was more important for her to stay in her apartment for now. She is 89.

All the meals are being dropped off at their front doors, and they place the trays etc outside their doors when done.

Their mail is delivered to their rooms as well. My Mom is getting a bit tired of it. But she understands.
That sounds like an assisting living, not a nursing home? In a regular nursing home, residents don't have apartments. They have rooms, in many nursing homes these rooms are shared.

:)I’m pretty happy with the old navy masks I ordered and will be ordering more

I keep a bag of masks in the car. I have been working on making my own masks, but I am still working on it.

Old Navy is selling masks, they probably are not great, but I ordered 10 from their website.

And someone here was selling masks at the Farmers Market, I bought ten from her the other day.

Masks are here to stay for awhile. I have a stack at work, in the car, and at home.

That sounds like an assisting living, not a nursing home? In a regular nursing home, residents don't have apartments. They have rooms, in many nursing homes these rooms are shared.
I have never experienced care or nursing homes that have shared rooms. Unless you mean husband and wife. Also, a nursing home is where the residents need medical care , like for Alzheimers or immobility issues. Whereas a care home is elderly persons but not needing medical care, where they can come and go. The nursing home will need medical nurses on the staff but the care home wouldn't, so perhaps you could explain the nursing homes with shared rooms as I am not aware of those where I live.

https://www.kentucky.com/news/coronavirus/article243528367.html

Dr. Fauci says we are at least a year away from normalcy: he also says this pandemic will at some point end. I just want to be alive to see it end. We all do.
Well England is nearly normalcy from today when shops are open and masks needed on Public Transport. I guess we will have to watch how it goes.

Shoppers rush to the High Street as stores reopen

• 19 minutes ago