Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #61

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coronavirus: Man dubbed ‘miracle child’ after Covid-19 recovery receives $1.1m hospital bill

Coronavirus: Man dubbed ‘miracle child’ after Covid-19 recovery receives $1.1m hospital bill

Danielle Zoellner
7 hrs ago
A Seattle man who was dubbed “the miracle child” when he recovered from the coronavirus after being the longest-hospitalised patient has now received a $1.1m bill for his lengthy stay.

Michael Flor, 70, almost died from the novel virus, but he joked his hospital bill also almost killed him after his 62-day stay rounded up to $1.1m in fees.
The 181-page hospital bill listed all the treatments and fees Mr Flor racked up while staying at Swedish Medical Centre in Issaquah, and the official amount owed stands at $1,122,501.04.
Fortunately for Mr Flor, he was on Medicare when entering the facility, which means a majority of the bill will be covered.

The US government could also foot portions or the entirety of the bill because Congress set aside $100bn to help hospitals and insurance companies amid the pandemic. But officials have warned this amount might not be enough, with estimates reaching $500bn in costs to treat US coronavirus patients.

'Extraordinarily dangerous': Top health officials sound dire warning about Trump rally

“WHAT MAKES THE RALLY HIGH RISK?

Trump’s rally will be held indoors, at a 19,000-seat arena that has canceled all other events through the end of July. Scientists believe the virus spreads far more easily in crowded enclosed spaces than it does outdoors, where circulating air has a better chance of dispersing virus particles.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention outlines the highest risk events for transmission of the coronavirus this way: “Large in-person gatherings where it is difficult for individuals to remain spaced at least 6 feet apart and attendees travel from outside the local area.” The CDC recommends cloth masks in places where people might shout or chant.

Trump’s rallies typically draw tens of thousands of supporters. They usually stand outside in line for hours before passing through airport-style security and cramming into an arena, where they sit side by side or stand shoulder to shoulder. The rallies are typically raucous, with much shouting, cheering and chanting. Some people dance and jeer at reporters. Sometimes protesters are met with violence before they are removed by security.

Many attendees are older, which would put them at higher risk of severe complications from COVID-19. It’s not unusual for several individuals in the crowd to require medical attention when the temperature rises.

The rallies also typically draw supporters from surrounding towns and states. Some die-hard fans travel across the country from rally to rally like groupies for a band.

Dr. Ashish Jha, director of Harvard’s Global Health Institute, called the upcoming Trump rally “an extraordinarily dangerous move for the people participating and the people who may know them and love them and see them afterward."

Trump supporters coming from neighboring cities and states could carry the virus back home, Jha said. "I’d feel the same way if Joe Biden were holding a rally.”“

[...]

“MASKS AND PRECAUTIONS

The Trump campaign has declined to respond to repeated questions about whether it will require attendees to wear masks, socially distance or take other measures to reduce the risk of virus transmission.

Trump has made clear that he believes empty seats are bad optics. “I can’t imagine a rally where you have every fourth seat full. Every — every six seats are empty for every one that you have full. That wouldn’t look too good,” he said in April.

Trump also insisted that the marquee event of the Republican National Convention — his acceptance of his party's nomination for reelection — be moved from Charlotte, North Carolina, to Jacksonville, Florida, after North Carolina's Democratic governor refused to promise he would not impose restrictions.“

'Extraordinarily dangerous': Top health officials sound dire warning about Trump rally

“WHAT MAKES THE RALLY HIGH RISK?

Trump’s rally will be held indoors, at a 19,000-seat arena that has canceled all other events through the end of July. Scientists believe the virus spreads far more easily in crowded enclosed spaces than it does outdoors, where circulating air has a better chance of dispersing virus particles.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention outlines the highest risk events for transmission of the coronavirus this way: “Large in-person gatherings where it is difficult for individuals to remain spaced at least 6 feet apart and attendees travel from outside the local area.” The CDC recommends cloth masks in places where people might shout or chant.

Trump’s rallies typically draw tens of thousands of supporters. They usually stand outside in line for hours before passing through airport-style security and cramming into an arena, where they sit side by side or stand shoulder to shoulder. The rallies are typically raucous, with much shouting, cheering and chanting. Some people dance and jeer at reporters. Sometimes protesters are met with violence before they are removed by security.

Many attendees are older, which would put them at higher risk of severe complications from COVID-19. It’s not unusual for several individuals in the crowd to require medical attention when the temperature rises.

The rallies also typically draw supporters from surrounding towns and states. Some die-hard fans travel across the country from rally to rally like groupies for a band.

Dr. Ashish Jha, director of Harvard’s Global Health Institute, called the upcoming Trump rally “an extraordinarily dangerous move for the people participating and the people who may know them and love them and see them afterward."

Trump supporters coming from neighboring cities and states could carry the virus back home, Jha said. "I’d feel the same way if Joe Biden were holding a rally.”“

[...]

“MASKS AND PRECAUTIONS

The Trump campaign has declined to respond to repeated questions about whether it will require attendees to wear masks, socially distance or take other measures to reduce the risk of virus transmission.

Trump has made clear that he believes empty seats are bad optics. “I can’t imagine a rally where you have every fourth seat full. Every — every six seats are empty for every one that you have full. That wouldn’t look too good,” he said in April.

Trump also insisted that the marquee event of the Republican National Convention — his acceptance of his party's nomination for reelection — be moved from Charlotte, North Carolina, to Jacksonville, Florida, after North Carolina's Democratic governor refused to promise he would not impose restrictions.“

UK coronavirus death toll increases by just 36 in lowest rise during lockdown

UK coronavirus death toll increases by just 36 in lowest rise during lockdown

Chris Kitching
1 hour ago
The UK's official coronavirus death toll has increased to 41,698 after just 36 more fatalities were reported in 24 hours - the lowest daily rise during the lockdown.

However, the low figure should be treated with some caution as many deaths on Saturdays and Sundays are not counted until Tuesday at the earliest due to a weekend reporting lag.
The Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) said 41,698 people had died in hospitals, care homes and the wider community after testing positive for coronavirus in the UK as of 5pm on Saturday, up by 36 from 41,662 the day before.

The Government figures do not include all deaths involving Covid-19 across the UK, which is thought to have passed 52,000.

I dunno. What's better-miss a fishing trip, or die attached to a ventilator? Ones who died aren't going to get those years back for sure. But you don't seem to be concerned about that.
What you said, jjenny!
There are a few things I miss, too but they lose their lure when I think about all the suffering this pandemic has inflicted on our world .

Exactly.

Please don't anyone feel bad for my husband. He's done plenty of fishing locally. There is no way in hell that I would be comfortable with him flying or staying in a hotel. It's one thing if you're single. It's another if you have a spouse that you could potentially expose.

LOL! I was just crying about everyone in the world who doesn’t get to go fishing. Certainly my biggest concern right now!

I have a question for you smart folks: So, I have been wondering about this. Today Orange County, CA reports a total of 8573 cases. That number includes 221 deaths. A total of 4091 have recovered and 290 are currently in the hospital. That leaves a balance of 4192, and my question. It seems to me that the 4192 must be people with the virus who are not hospitalized, and not counted in recovered yet. Would that be correct or is there another explanation for the 4192 who are not categorized?

Thanks.

I have a question for you smart folks: So, I have been wondering about this. Today Orange County, CA reports a total of 8573 cases. That number includes 221 deaths. A total of 4091 have recovered and 290 are currently in the hospital. That leaves a balance of 4192, and my question. It seems to me that the 4192 must be people with the virus who are not hospitalized, and not counted in recovered yet. Would that be correct or is there another explanation for the 4192 who are not categorized?

Thanks.

I would think so, that that is the correct explanation, but will look into this further. I’m a couple peanut butter stout beers in so don’t trust my math at the moment.

I would think so, that that is the correct explanation, but will look into this further. I’m a couple peanut butter stout beers in so don’t trust my math at the moment.

Well, I just smoked a joint, so probably we see things in a like manner. haha

But yeah, everytime I see the numbers I ask myself what about the others. I figure since I am the only one I've heard asking, it must be something simple and obvious, that I am just not getting.

Well, I just smoked a joint, so probably we see things in a like manner. haha

But yeah, everytime I see the numbers I ask myself what about the others. I figure since I am the only one I've heard asking, it must be something simple and obvious, that I am just not getting.

Woohoo! Good idea! Going in for the ganja now myself!

@SoCalDavidS:

In the last thread, in response to my quoted post here,you had asked, “Do you know whether the cougher was your neighbor or the guest? I'd be so curious to see how it turned out”.

The one coughing uncontrollably in her friend’s face with no regard for the other person was my neighbor. The guest was the one being coughed on.

Last edited:
I have a question for you smart folks: So, I have been wondering about this. Today Orange County, CA reports a total of 8573 cases.

Being my county, I check the OC Health site Covid stats every afternoon if I can.

Today's news flash....the Highest single day total of New Cases since start of pandemic at 304. And the 4 Highest single day totals(259, 260, 290, 304) ALL happened in the last 10 days.

Missouri McDonald's employee worked 7 days while sick before coronavirus diagnosis — Fox News

“Public health officials in Springfield-Greene County, Missouri issued a warning on Friday about potential coronavirus exposure from a McDonald's employee who worked seven days before testing positive for the respiratory illness.

The warning comes as fast-food workers continue to come down with the virus.”

A great example of why contact tracing is so important, letting people know they have been exposed before they have the chance to unknowingly infect others.

—-

@MimosaMornings , I wonder what all other fast food chains are seeing outbreaks, and where. We are seeing outbreaks in restaurants in AZ (List here)

Last edited:
So the new refrain seems to be that there's more testing, so the fact there are more positives is understandable.

Funny thing is, that doesn't seem to be happening in other countries, where the virus spread is under control. In these places, testing is going up, but the # of positive cases is on the decline.

You see, more positives with more tests, does not mean the virus is not still running rampant. It just means that we're just seeing that with our own eyes even more, since the testing has increased. If things were actually getting better, the # of new cases would be declining, while testing increases.

And BTW, testing is not increasing that rapidly. The U.S. is still 30th Per Capita Worldwide in terms of testing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrickheffley