Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
JMO
Just wanted to add a point about gravel roads which I think contradicts at least one point that was being made in the interview with TD.

I often have to drive over gravel roads and depending on the type of gravel they really do not leave good tire track impressions most of the time. I may have to look back at the TD interview to see if we can see the type of gravel it was. Most of the ones I drive on would not leave good tire impressions unless you happen to drive off near the shoulder or hit an area where there was enough dust that could leave an impression.

During the interview I think it was implied that tire tracks could have been found on the road itself but gravel roads IMO sometimes do a good job of hiding the type of car tire that would have run over it. Unless you hit a certain spot that would pick up an impression.

Gravel is obviously better than pavement to try to find tire tracks but I think a dirt road would be much easier to try to find tire tracks than gravel. The gravel roads I am used to would be very difficult to find any good tire tracks on unless you were near the shoulder or hit a patch that had more dust than gravel.
JMO of course.

Last edited:
I have an idea - remember writing 101 - school when you had to write about whatever topic - whether you necessarily agreed with it or not - what if there was a ‘theme’ day of sorts (or hour) where even those who believe *whomever* did *whatever* had to look elsewhere...smart minds could find something that finds SM. o_O:)

What about the Heidi Broussard case? IIRC there was abuse and he didn’t come off well in the media and we all (myself included) had him convicted. That’s one case that has caused me to fence sit more than I used to.

Also the Daniella Vian case :(

Same. The Broussard case taught me how fallible appearances can be.

I agree with the theories that you and oldcop have laid out. I'd like to add that I think that if this is the case, she told someone, maybe several people of her plans. When someone decides that they are done in a relationship, a paradigm shift occurs. They are no longer invested in backing up the facade that the spouse is a great guy. They shift to wanting others to understand what has brought them to this painful life change. They also do not want those closest to be in the dark. They want them to be prepared and reassured that the decision was made carefully with a practical plan for the future. Yes, if this is the case, I think several people knew.
The spouse will usually sense the change of attitude before the subject is presented. Moo
Agreed. And add to that the electronic footprints that go with it, even if they haven’t gotten around to telling anyone anything yet. No doubt LE is in possession of SM’s Google search histories, relationship and self-help articles she’s read on-line, potential searches for new lodging, etc. Not to mention her email, voice, and text correspondence, likely her location history, etc. Same goes for BM. I’m betting they’ve got a pretty good read on the dynamics of the relationship now. And maybe a whole lot more. Just no smoking gun and no body.

It seems that, almost invariably these days, the electronic data provides the framework and everything else hangs off of it. I’d love to know what they know. Because I think they know a lot...

As always, everything above is MOO.

Sounds like he's being so very careful in what he says. Walking a very thin line in trying to sound sincere and being careful not to say too much. OTOH, he may be so distraught, he can't remember what he said. It's hard to know. I think he's walking a very thin tightrope trying to keep things straight.

Not walking now, I think he jumped that tightrope 2 weeks ago. He disappeared.

I have an idea - remember writing 101 - school when you had to write about whatever topic - whether you necessarily agreed with it or not - what if there was a ‘theme’ day of sorts (or hour) where even those who believe *whomever* did *whatever* had to look elsewhere...smart minds could find something that finds SM. o_O:)

JMO
This is a great idea and tactic to use when researching cases here. Especially when we are in this phase where nothing much new is being released by anyone.

Too often we get tunnel vision in cases. This exercise can help us in two different ways. It can either help to show us we are probably on the right track or it could also help us to see that other possibilities are more probable than we first realized.

Thanks for bringing up this idea.

I wish, as everyone does, that S.M. can be found soon.

In the meantime, the L.E. are working in the background, gathering information, gathering evidence.

It is commendable that there haven't been any leaks from this investigative team and that speaks to their integrity.

Until there's a major announcement or some break in the case, we wait until we hear from the L.E.

I am beginning to wonder if there is going to be any breaks in Her case. I'd she was placed in the forest animal's do what they do. I still have lingering thoughts about what happened. Does anyone know If it was raining on the days 8th they 11rh. I have 3 lingering thoughts and yes 1 is Bm

Under what circumstances can LE tell someone that they are not allowed to travel outside of the country? Only if they are charged with a crime? What about if they are a witness?
I can't recall a party to an investigation ever detained or prevented from international travel that was not charged. In such cases, they are usually required to surrender their passports when released on bond and travel permission must be granted by the court.

Right now I'm also thinking about the cult mom Lori Vallow and her husband that were allowed to travel albeit domestic while suspected of disappearing the two children.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

We don't know BM's state of mind, where he thinks he is. What river do you think BM is referring to?

At about 1:10 of BM's Youtuber interview, he states:

.....So we thought maybe she got attacked by a lion
we thought maybe she wrecked coming down this hill
a car coming around this corner fast
maybe she was disoriented and got in the river. ....

YouTuber who ‘secretly’ recorded video of Barry Morphew discussing wife’s disappearance says he believes Suzanne Morphew’s husband knew the camera was on

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

It's the South Arkansas River. No guessing required. It's the river that's right where 225 intersects with US 50 in Maysville near BM/SM house, where TD saw BM, and where the bike was found. [ETA ... I don't know the exact spot the bike was found but where they were in the video and where all this has happened is at that general area]

Last edited by a moderator:
Could it be that simple? Could BM have told the girls that he had spoken to their Mom and she was out on a bike ride? And then LE finds a bike with a lock on it so they know there is no way she was riding it? Maybe her phone was at home, or they were able to see quickly that there was no communication that day between BM & SM?
So what did BM told the girls about the bike ride, I wonder, for the girls to become worried enough to alert the neighbor. I mean Mom can't text back if she is riding her bike or taking a shower?

On our birthdays, Mothers day, Fathers day, or other holidays, our son usually texts 'Happy ______' first thing in the morning. We've already discussed his coming over, so I sometimes text back 'love you, see you soon' or sometimes don't text back. Of the times I don't text back, our son never called our neighbors to check on us. He just comes over later to enjoy the day.

On our birthdays, Mothers day, Fathers day, or other holidays, our son usually texts 'Happy ______' first thing in the morning. We've already discussed his coming over, so I sometimes text back 'love you, see you soon' or sometimes don't text back. Of the times I don't text back, our son never called our neighbors to check on us. He just comes over later to enjoy the day.

JMO
That is one of the things that has bothered me as well. Especially if the girls were busy with their own out of town reasons and were due to come home anyway. They would likely just wait till they got home to find out more why Mom was busy and did not reply to them.

There should have been nothing in their eyes or BM's eyes for that matter to make any of them jump to a panic situation and call 911. Even if the neighbor checked on the home and saw the bicycle being missing, then that would be even more reason for me to think all was ok and she just was not back yet because it was not even dark out yet when LE was called. It was getting close but not dark out from what I remember when we looked at sunset times.

Something or someone made the neighbor begin to think something was seriously wrong or maybe she was just doing as asked of her by someone to call 911. I dont think we know who was pushing that button. It turns out they were right to be concerned but how did they make that leap and what was it that caused that leap.

Many options here. Maybe some previous discussions Mom may have had with the children or the neighbor is one possibility. Another option is someone was pushing others to panic. Other options could exist if the neighbor was the one who found the bicycle. Lke maybe she was directed by someone to look down a certain road if the bicycle was gone. Quite a few options here.

JMO
Its a good question because if someone was really guilty of this and they sensed LE was closing in on them then taking off and trying to hide in a far away land would be something that would cross their mind. If they wanted to not spend their remaining days behind bars then by running it at least gives them a chance since there is not much to lose in trying to hide away for as long as they can if they knew that Life in Prison would be the result of a guilty verdict and they knew they were guilty.

Some countries may even be a safe haven for someone with some money so it is a possibility that it could happen if the person really is guilty and if LE is closing in.

I suppose it would all depend on if the person felt LE was very close or not to arresting them. Or if the person felt that even if arrested they felt they could fight it in court and actually win their case due to lack of evidence. The latter would be a gamble for them. Some are willing to take that kind of gamble.

Some others choose a more permanent way out to avoid prison by offing themselves and I hope that doesnt happen in this case. Its not good for anyone and especially the person choosing that option.

"No body, no crime." That's a mantra some killers believe in. It takes a special kind of arrogance to think your intellect and cunning transcends LE and their overwhelming expertise in investigating crimes of individuals who unfortunately are a dime a dozen.

It's the South Arkansas River. No guessing required. It's the river that's right where 225 intersects with US 50 in Maysville near BM/SM house, where TD saw BM, and where the bike was found. [ETA ... I don't know the exact spot the bike was found but where they were in the video and where all this has happened is at that general area]
Already a dozen maps/photos by OP so I can't help think it's a trick question! My vote is with you -- So Arkansas.

Fleeing, Leaving $$ Behind?
If BM is guilty, ...not “saving face” by sticking around. I guess if he takes off now, he leaves a lot of money on the table.
@Minordetails :) sbm
Not sure how/why BM's (hypothetical) flight from CO. would "leave a lot of money on the table" whether he remains within the US or flees to another country. I could be overlooking something.
Access to $$.
Azz-uming he has assets, what would prevent his making withdrawals or liquidating, transferring $$ to location where he fled, as long as he executes a power of atty (or equiv.) document? If some assets are held in joint name w SM or another person, he may still be able to withdraw, sell, etc., tho perhaps necessitating a judicial proceeding.

Avoiding Extradition.
By moving from CO. to another state, not likely to avoid interstate/intrastate extradition, but if fleeing to a country w no or limited extradition treaty w US, then could possibly avoid international extradition, imo. A state seeking extradition from a foreign country to prosecute for state crimes must coordinate so US Go'vt is the party initiating procedure w other country.
Extradition law in the United States - Wikipedia

BTW, some ppl who are, or believe they are, suspects of serous crimes flee the US to escape criminal prosecution by feds or state, and in doing so, avoid paying atty to defend them in criminal proceedings within US, at least temporarily. If the country has extradition treaty w US, a fleeing person may be forced to pay for atty in that country to avoid or fight extradition. {ETA: Aaaannnd if extradiction challenge is not successful, may have to pay later for crim def. atty in US as well.} my 2 cts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member