Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #62

Status
Not open for further replies.
:eek:

Did any of them think, even for a second, that they could be responsible for spreading Covid?! :mad:
Young people don't think like that. They cannot even pick up their rubbish. We have the whole summer to come. All the music festivals are cancelled. Pubs are shut, carnivals and all other street parties have been cancelled. It is going to be a long hot summer of discontent IMO.

I have to wonder.
Am I panicking without cause?
In San Diego, where I live, there have been 396 deaths attributed to COVID-19, in a population of 3.5 million.
That is a very low death rate.
Of course, all deaths matter.
But should 396 deaths shut down the businesses that make San Diego the city that it is?
I say no.
Two weeks ago I drove through downtown San Diego, I witnessed a city that was locked up and boarded up.
3.5 Million people locked down?
For less then 400 deaths?
I may be banned from websleuths for my opinion.
I've been severely warned.
For me. The Biggest threat that the United States, and each of us are facing, is politics.
I find that so unacceptable.

Sadly during this horrific pandemic, politics rules.

What worked for our area is that the governors of NY, NJ and CT (and even parts of eastern PA and Delaware) agreed together to control Covid by implementing the same restrictions. Back in mid-March they required that masks be worn at all times, and still do to this day, they also closed restaurants, bars, playgrounds, beaches, hiking trails - anywhere people would congregate - even if wearing a mask.

A governor cannot leave the decision up to each city or county, if they do, there is no way to contain the virus, people will cross borders.

These states with rapid increase need to be shut down entirely, otherwise the virus will just continue to spread.

“What worked for our area”?

NY, NJ, and CT have the most COVID deaths per population in the country. Nearby Massachusetts is the only state close to those three.

NY - 1,611 deaths per 1M people
NJ - 1,479 deaths per 1M people
CT - 1,302 deaths per 1M people
MA - 1,152 deaths per 1M people

The US as a whole has only 375 deaths per 1M people. It would be a lot lower if NY, NJ, CT and MA hadn’t been such a disaster.

Some other states for comparison:

FL - 153 deaths per 1M people
AZ - 201 deaths per 1M people
GA - 254 deaths per 1M people
SC - 133 deaths per 1M people
SD - 95 deaths per 1M people

The only thing that “worked” in NY, NJ, and CT was the killing off of those who were most in need of protection—elderly and seriously ill nursing home residents.

United States Coronavirus: 2,463,438 Cases and 124,294 Deaths - Worldometer

I don't think Florida did a better job. For whatever reason, covid was just slower to get going there. But it's sure got going now.

When we were in Florida and Covid all of a sudden became known, Michigan was hit hard with the virus, especially Southeast Michigan, which included the city of Detroit, Wayne and Oakland County-- we live in Oakland County: we were grateful to be in a part of Florida (Southwest Florida) that was not hit that hard by the virus- not all of Florida has been hit the same. Southeast Florida always had a lot more cases: that includes Palm Beach, Miami Dade and Broward counties: When we left Florida on June 3 things were pretty decent in Florida: Now Southeast Florida is getting rocked hard by Covid, but Southwest Florida has not been hit as hard by the virus, though they too have an uptick of cases. Now Michigan is also seeing an uptick of cases, but right now not as drastic as several other states.

Experience

The link is to the Florida's Covid 19 Data and Surveillance Dashboard

Last edited:
“What worked for our area”?

NY, NJ, and CT have the most COVID deaths per population in the country. Nearby Massachusetts is the only state close to those three.

NY - 1,611 deaths per 1M people
NJ - 1,479 deaths per 1M people
CT - 1,302 deaths per 1M people
MA - 1,152 deaths per 1M people

The US as a whole has only 375 deaths per 1M people. It would be a lot lower if NY, NJ, CT and MA hadn’t been such a disaster.

Some other states for comparison:

FL - 153 deaths per 1M people
AZ - 201 deaths per 1M people
GA - 254 deaths per 1M people
SC - 133 deaths per 1M people
SD - 95 deaths per 1M people

The only thing that “worked” in NY, NJ, and CT was the killing off of those who were most in need of protection—elderly and seriously ill nursing home residents.

United States Coronavirus: 2,463,438 Cases and 124,294 Deaths - Worldometer

They are densely populated states, the virus isn’t over and some states refuse to acknowledge that so expect numbers to rise drastically in those states. That’s going to be a big problem. It’s too premature to compare deaths between states now.

I have to wonder.
In San Diego, where I live, there have been 396 deaths attributed to COVID-19, in a population of 3.5 million.
But should 396 deaths shut down the businesses that make San Diego the city that it is?
I say no.
Two weeks ago I drove through downtown San Diego, I witnessed a city that was locked up and boarded up.
For me. The Biggest threat that the United States, and each of us are facing, is politics.

The reason there is a low death rate is because of the boarding up, imo.

San Diego County has had 11,626 confirmed cases.

https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/cont...mmunity_epidemiology/dc/2019-nCoV/status.html

Look at the distribution map:

https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/cont...idemiology/COVID-19 City of Residence_MAP.pdf

It’s everywhere and that is only confirmed cases think of all the asymptomatic and deniers cases.

Each of those cases have the potential to cause deaths.

Or devastating hospital bills, loss of income, months of recovery, even permanent health issues.

Lower death rates are good news.

Low death rates and an actively involved citizenry in the good health of the community is what will bring SD back to what SD was.

SD residents and business had fiscal and societal problems well before the Virus, imo. So let’s hope SD comes back better than ever.

all imo

US coronavirus: 'Apocalyptic' surges feared in some cities

In Texas, if the current case trajectory continues, Houston could be the hardest-hit city in the US with numbers rivaling those in Brazil. Infection numbers are also rising in Dallas, Austin and San Antonio, said Dr. Peter Hotez, dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at the Baylor College of Medicine.

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has attributed the rise to more testing but others say community transmission is playing a key role as the state reopens. Miami Mayor Francis Suarez said he'll ask the city commission to implement a civil fine of up to $250 for those not wearing a mask in public. Miami implemented an order requiring masks or face coverings in public this week.

Arizona is also seeing the highest number of new cases per capita of any state in the country. It's had more new cases per capita than any state has had besides New York or New Jersey, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.

In Louisiana, Gov. John Bel Edwards said he plans to issue a new proclamation extending the Phase 2 restrictions under the current order for another 28 days. "Simply put, we're heading in the wrong direction. We have more cases than we can justify just by the fact that they're doing more testing," Edwards said.

At least 26 states are seeing a rise in cases compared to the previous week, data from Johns Hopkins University show. Those states are Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas, Utah, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

"Going out in public without a mask is like driving drunk," said Dr. Jonathan Reiner, a cardiologist and professor of medicine at George Washington University. "If you don't get hurt. You might kill somebody else."

I have to wonder.
I say no.

Of course you have your opinion, rights. Your angst has been pretty apparent throughout. Anyone in the restaurant business must feel this pain.

I live in a very "hot" state, but a low-count county. (Florida) Hardly anyone wears masks. And our governor will never require them, or so he says.

However..I have found out this morning, we have a 4th restaurant (and one with plenty of outdoor seating on two floors) has announced a case of covid. They are not shutting down. It is probably a young person who is not too sick, so that is good.

But I was going to be going there for oysters tonight, and now I am not.

I really wish people who fight wearing masks, for political reasons would just have more of a sense of community welfare, and and an understanding that masks really do help.

Its like....do you question using a turn signal... Most of the time one might think there is plenty of room --"I don't need a turn signal" . But we do it, out of safety for our fellow travellers, not just because it is against the law.

I personally wish more and more mayors , since many governors won't, would institute larger fines for not wearing a mask. For the goodness of all.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom reported Wednesday that 7,149 people tested positive, a record number for the nation's largest state.

In Florida, with 5,508 new infections reported Wednesday, Gov. Ron DeSantis said he won't order people to wear masks to curb the spread of the virus.

In Texas, 5,551 new cases were reported Wednesday.

Experts are forecasting 179,106 deaths in the United States by Oct. 1 from COVID-19, but a universal mask-wearing order could save as many as 33,000 lives, according to University of Washington’s Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation.

Worldwide infections have surpassed 9.4 million, with 2.3 million in the United States, according to Johns Hopkins University. More than 482,000 people have died worldwide, with more than 121,000 deaths in the U.S.

Coronavirus update: Record new cases in Florida, California, Texas

IMO it's very obvious the US needs a NATIONAL plan to deal with the virus. What's it going to take to understand the patchwork of states, cities, counties isn't working?

Are you kidding me? DOZENS??? Secret Service impacted by Tulsa rally. "The law enforcement official said the number of quarantined agents is on the "low" side of dozens."
Dozens of Secret Service agents will be quarantined after Trump's Tulsa rally - CNNPolitics

I hope that everyone who plans to attend these types of rallies reads this ..... it exhibits the conscious awareness of the people holding the rally that it is dangerous. imo

From your link:
"By attending the Rally, you and any guests voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19 and agree not to hold Donald J. Trump for President, Inc.; BOK Center; ASM Global; or any of their affiliates, directors, officers, employees, agents, contractors, or volunteers liable for any illness or injury," read the disclaimer to which attendees agreed.

Last edited:
I hope that everyone who plans to attend these types of rallies reads this ..... it exhibits the conscious awareness of the people holding the rally that it is dangerous. imo

"By attending the Rally, you and any guests voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19 and agree not to hold Donald J. Trump for President, Inc.; BOK Center; ASM Global; or any of their affiliates, directors, officers, employees, agents, contractors, or volunteers liable for any illness or injury," read the disclaimer to which attendees agreed.

Is medical insurance still valid if guidelines are ignored? I know my travel insurance is void if I get hurt doing certain activities (like scuba diving or bungee jumping) on holiday without paying extra to include them in the premium.

Today’s headlines:

San Diego has new record highs

The current number of COVID-19 patients in the hospital, 370, has increased by 40 in the last several days. Of those, 157 are in the ICU.

Among those who have contracted the disease in the San Diego region, 1,661 -- or 14.3% -- have required hospitalization. A total of 456 patients -- representing 3.9% of all cases, and 27.4% of hospitalized cases -- have had to be admitted to an intensive care unit.​

San Diego's Cases Hit New Daily High, Positive Rate Among Total Tests Up

Knowing the impact of hospitalizations on personal life and finances it seems to me that’s a lot of folks in the hospital that presumably would not be in the hospital or in intensive care if it wasn’t for CV-19.

all imo

"Going out in public without a mask is like driving drunk," said Dr. Jonathan Reiner, a cardiologist and professor of medicine at George Washington University. "If you don't get hurt. You might kill somebody else."

This clearly needs repeating. And repeating...

-Most states have laws against drunk driving. I don’t recall organized and angry resistance to these laws. -Most states have some form of mandatory seat belt laws. I don’t recall organized and angry resistance to these safety regulations.
-Travel on an airplane involves numerous inconvenient and strictly enforced rules for luggage and boarding since Sept 2001. I don’t recall organized and angry resistance to these safety regulations.
-Many states require motorcycle helmets. I don’t recall organized and angry resistance to these safety regulations.
-Many other laws and regulations limit our freedom for the sake of personal safety and/or the common good. I don’t recall organized and angry resistance to these safety regulations.

What is it about masks? Why “give me liberty or give me death”? Over masks. Why has this become the hill to die on over personal freedom? Why is there almost a religious fervor on the part of some in their resistance to wearing masks? Why has resistance to wearing a mask become a politically divisive issue?

What is it about masks?

-Most states have laws against drunk driving. I don’t recall organized and angry resistance to these laws. -Most states have some form of mandatory seat belt laws. I don’t recall organized and angry resistance to these safety regulations.
-Travel on an airplane involves numerous inconvenient and strictly enforced rules for luggage and boarding since Sept 2001. I don’t recall organized and angry resistance to these safety regulations.
-Many states require motorcycle helmets. I don’t recall organized and angry resistance to these safety regulations.
-Many other laws and regulations limit our freedom for the sake of personal safety and/or the common good. I don’t recall organized and angry resistance to these safety regulations.

What is it about masks? Why “give me liberty or give me death”? Over masks. Why has this become the hill to die on over personal freedom? Why is there almost a religious fervor on the part of some in their resistance to wearing masks? Why has resistance to wearing a mask become a politically divisive issue?

What is it about masks?

The analogy is wrong because it is comparing the mask wearer/non wearer to a drunk driver. That would only appear to be a correct analogy if the person had Covid and knew it. Also driving drunk is against the law but not wearing a mask is not uniformly against the law. A better analogy could be wearing a condom perhaps. MOO.

Googling brings up loads of articles but this is one of the more recent ones.

Why do so many Americans refuse to wear face masks? Politics is part of it — but only part

Last edited:
Frontline: The Virus is a brilliant overview of what has happened so far and what has gone wrong.
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/the-virus/
The Virus: What Went Wrong?

Thank you for the link: i didn't watch all of it but enough to know there is enough blame to go around to call this a cluster----- for the United States: China tried to cover it up, The WHO was out to lunch and our government, well, what can you say about that. South Korea was absolutely amazing in how quickly they recognized the problem and was able to test, diagnose and quarantine. We, here in the United States of America, have been so let down by our government-- it is shameful. I will finish watching it later.
It is a brilliant overview, as you describe.

What is it about masks?

I think we all understand to some extent why this has become a raging issue. Because we cannot discuss politics i can't say what i would like to say so i will leave it at that.

What is it about masks?
... I think we all understand to some extent why this has become a raging issue. Because we cannot discuss politics i can't say what i would like to say so i will leave it at that.

“Science should not be politics”
That’s one problem.

Doctors unleash on politics as coronavirus spikes: 'No other country debates masks'

In a series of interviews, doctors on the front lines in states where COVID-19 infections are exploding lamented the controversy in stark terms.

They argue that mixed messages from mayors, governors and President Donald Trump are making it harder for people to appreciate the need for masking — especially as infections among younger citizens jump sharply.

“Honestly the politicization of science is one of our incredible societal downfalls. Science should not be politics,” Dr. Hilary Fairbrother, a Houston emergency medicine physician said.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member