Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #63

Status
Not open for further replies.
N.J. schools will reopen with masks, social distancing and sweeping new rules under just-released plan

Students will stay six feet apart in classrooms and on buses, lunch times will be staggered and teachers will be required to wear masks, according to sweeping new guidelines released by the state Department of Education.

The new rules are part of a long-awaited “The Road Back: Restart and Recovery Plan for Education” report compiled by state education officials that will serve as a blueprint as schools prepare for the return of the state’s 1.4 million students while the coronavirus pandemic continues.

3 die in New Mexico from drinking hand sanitizer

Santa Fe, N.M. – Three people have died, three others are in critical condition and one person is permanently blind after apparently drinking hand sanitizer that contained methanol, New Mexico health officials said Friday.

The state Department of Health said the cases were reported to the New Mexico Poison Control Center, with the first coming in early May. The other cases occurred since May 29...
I have been concerned about some of the bottling types for hand sanitizer that is being newly produced in distilleries due to the shortage. Some just look too classy and all-too-similar to a bottle of vodka or rum. I was afraid that kids might not know better.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/why-one-strategist-is-actually-encouraged-by-the-latest-coronavirus-data-showing-a-spike-in-new-cases-2020-06-26

Christopher Wood, global head of equity strategy at Jefferies . . . is actually encouraged by the latest week of coronavirus data that has seen cases spike . . .

He notes, for example, the median age of new positive cases in Florida has declined from 50 in April to 33 in recent days, and that, crucially, deaths are declining even as new cases pile up. Besides the point that new cases are being detected more because testing has increased, and that younger and healthier people are getting the disease, Wood raises the possibility that, like severe acute respiratory syndrome, COVID-19 could simply burn itself out as it mutates into a less virulent form over time.

. . .

More good news on the coronavirus front comes from Western Europe, as new cases and deaths, outside of the U.K., are roughly 90% lower eight weeks into reopening
.”

Our 300 people from Mumbai have landed in my state. Here is what happened.

All officials and helpers at the airport were masked and gloved.
They were loaded into waiting buses - 20 per bus, so they could distance - and taken to a city hotel. They expressed how glad they are to be back in Australia to the news crews who were waiting there at a distance.
They were swabbed.
Now they wait 14 days in hotel quarantine - in family hotel suites - with security at the hotel to ensure they comply.
We could see Uber Eats being delivered to the security people to take to various rooms for people who ordered in.
They will be swabbed again after 14 days before being allowed to go home.

Our Premier expects about 25 of them to test positive to the virus, going by typical trends.

Last edited:
Of Arizona’s more than 66,000 confirmed cases since the pandemic began, nearly 60% had been younger than 45 as of Friday.

The Louisiana Department of Health announced an outbreak of more than 100 cases linked to a cluster of bars near Louisiana State University. The state is seeing a rise in cases among the 18-to-29 age group but not among those 65 and older, even as it is doing more testing in settings such as nursing homes.

In California, more than 60% of the nearly 196,000 cases were under age 49, state data as of June 24 show. California Gov. Gavin Newsom last week required residents to wear masks in public.

Florida reported new daily cases rose from 1,222 on May 27 to 8,933 on Thursday with a median age of 34.

The Coronavirus Surge in Florida, Arizona, Texas Isn’t the Same as New York’s Crisis

Because younger people are more likely to have better Covid-19 outcomes, the new surge in cases might not result in as many deaths as before.

<RSBM>

Wood raises the possibility that, like severe acute respiratory syndrome, COVID-19 could simply burn itself out as it mutates into a less virulent form over time.

I have heard this before, and I think it is one of the greatest desires. That the virus will become weaker and weaker as it mutates.

Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Tennessee and Utah all reported their highest single day record of Covid-19 cases Friday.

Florida, the possible next epicenter, reached 8,938 new cases in just one day. Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said that "nothing has changed in the last week" and the surge was the result of a "test dump." On that same day, Florida Shuts Down Consumption of Alcohol at Bars Statewide immediately.

The national number of daily coronavirus case reports reached a new high Friday as well at almost 40,000.

33 states are currently seeing the number of new cases grow from the week before.

5 states reported their highest number of coronavirus cases in one day

Last edited:
wait wait bad info on my part -corrected it
Reopen Connecticut: State plans for full-time, in-school education in the fall
CT is going back masks,no specific distancing? busses at full capacity w masks

Massachusetts is using masks, using 3 feet? classroom distance (no temps taken). Bus situation has not been addressed yet. Gathering more info from science/medical advisors. Schools are to plan for 3 situations-regular school,hybrid,all virtual. Prioritizing regular school plan.
(link in my previous post)

N.J. schools will reopen with masks, social distancing and sweeping new rules under just-released plan

Students will stay six feet apart in classrooms and on buses, lunch times will be staggered and teachers will be required to wear masks, according to sweeping new guidelines released by the state Department of Education.

The new rules are part of a long-awaited “The Road Back: Restart and Recovery Plan for Education” report compiled by state education officials that will serve as a blueprint as schools prepare for the return of the state’s 1.4 million students while the coronavirus pandemic continues.

Last edited:
Federal health officials expanded the list of who's potentially most at risk of severe complications from Covid-19.

Mild obesity, moderate to severe asthma, pregnant women and those with cardiovascular disease, chronic kidney disease and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

So are those with conditions such as sickle cell disease, poorly controlled HIV infection, bone marrow transplants or an organ transplant.

The CDC also has removed the specific age threshold, saying it's not just those over age 65 who are at increased risk for severe illness.

https://www.masslive.com/coronavirus/2020/06/massachusetts-is-one-of-only-4-states-on-track-to-contain-coronavirus-model-indicates.html
Massachusetts is one of only 4 states on track to contain coronavirus, model indicates
Massachusetts is one of only 4 states in the nation that are on track to contain COVID-19, according to a study by Covid Act Now.

Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York were hit hard by the novel coronavirus in recent months, but are each steadily seeing a decreasing number of cases locally and have enacted public health plans that meet or exceed international standards.

Covid Act Now considered several metrics, including positive test rate, infection rate, ICU beds available and contract tracing.

m
ore at link
https://www.masslive.com/coronaviru...Qj__N2jtL5gKg79jEIZQQCohYo587PxviGGnOvkWuve0k

Schools in Italy will reopen on September 14 with social distancing measures in place. Schools will be required to stagger morning arrivals and seat students one meter apart from each other. Meals must also be eaten in classrooms, rather than in school cafeterias.

In order to prepare for the safe resumption of classes in September, the government would invest an extra 1 billion euros ($1.12 billion) to renovate schools, procure protective sanitation products and provide training to educators.

Coronavirus pandemic: Updates from around the world

They were loaded into waiting buses - 20 per bus, so they could distance - and taken to a city hotel. They expressed how glad they are to be back in Australia to the news crews who were waiting there at a distance.
They were swabbed.
Now they wait 14 days in hotel quarantine - in family hotel suites - with security at the hotel to ensure they comply.
We could see Uber Eats being delivered to the security people to take to various rooms for people who ordered in.

Our Premier expects about 25 of them to test positive to the virus, going by typical trends.
Were they on vacation in a large group and got stuck there somehow?
Sounds like your state was ready with a good system set up in preparation of their return.

US citizens have been shut out of their neighboring country to the north and a slew of nations around the world. The latest travel news affecting Americans: The European Union is considering blocking travelers from areas with severe Covid-19 outbreaks after it opens it borders on July 1.

Since the United States has more confirmed coronavirus cases than anywhere else in the world, with numbers increasing in some states each day, US travelers are unlikely to be allowed in any time soon.

"The US's chances are close to zero," an EU diplomat said. "With their infection rates ... not even they can believe in that possibility."

Restrictions leave US travelers high and dry

Sounds like your state was ready with a good system set up in preparation of their return.

I think what has been happening is that people have had to make their way to a 'central' spot to catch a repatriation flight home. So they were likely dotted all around that general area and had to make their way to Mumbai for the flight. Perhaps there on holiday, perhaps visiting family, and the borders closed.

There were families and singles, little children ..... a huge variety of people that we saw on TV getting off the buses.

When my son in law caught the last plane out of New Zealand, he had to fly from Wellington (north island) back down to Christchurch (south island) then to Melbourne, wait for hours and hours in a secure transit lounge, before flying back to our state. It took him 28 hours to get home - usually it would take about 6 hours.

Last edited:

It appears they are Australian residents and citizens have been stuck in Mumbai, unable to fly home. Here is an earlier story:

‘I have exemption to travel, but Mumbai airport has no flights to Australia,’ says husband of pregnant wife

“A group getting increasingly visible on Indian social is ‘Mumbai to Australia’. It comprises nearly 400 members, mostly Australian citizens and residents, waiting to fly out of Mumbai.”

Last edited:
We have incredibly strict rules for communion. There is no getting around them like mentioned above. None. No alternate prayers, no alternate substance. And our metropolitan was saying the priests could only come to someone's house if they were very ill. They were forbidden to bring anyone else communion. But if someone is incredibly ill they go to the hospital and the hospital wasn't allowing priests in. So it was effectively cutting people off. In fact in many circumstances absolution is offered for confession over the phone. In this case we were told that NO absolution would now be offered over the phone even though no one could go to church for months. So basically all the normal out of the ordinary means had been in effect totally cut off.
I can’t imagine cutting people off during a crisis. When people are looking to their church for those things and being denied?
Makes me sad :(

I can’t imagine cutting people off during a crisis. When people are looking to their church for those things and being denied?
Makes me sad :(

I'll try to say this without offending anyone, but what was described is just totally illogical, imho. I remember communion as a Southern Baptist - once the deacon's wife forgot to prepare unleavened bread, so we used saltines with our grape juice.

I have been concerned about some of the bottling types for hand sanitizer that is being newly produced in distilleries due to the shortage. Some just look too classy and all-too-similar to a bottle of vodka or rum. I was afraid that kids might not know better.

New Hand Sanitizers Packaged in Beverage Bottles Could Pose Health Risks

During the coronavirus pandemic, calls to poison control centers related to sanitizer have risen

Among the products Americans are having a hard time purchasing during the coronavirus pandemic, hand sanitizer tops the list: Seventy-four percent of people say they have been unable to track it down, according to a new nationally representative survey from Consumer Reports of 2,164 adults.

In response to that shortage, the Food and Drug Administration last month made it easier for companies that don’t typically manufacture hand sanitizer to start making it. Alcohol distillers, in particular, responded to that need, with an estimated 700 of them shifting some production to hand sanitizer, trade groups say. That makes sense because alcohol is the main ingredient of hand sanitizer and, say, gin or vodka...

They were swabbed.

Bravo! I hope all the best for them as they recover from both the trauma and the illness.

Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Tennessee and Utah all reported their highest single day record of Covid-19 cases Friday.

Florida, the possible next epicenter, reached 8,938 new cases in just one day. Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said that "nothing has changed in the last week" and the surge was the result of a "test dump." On that same day, Florida Shuts Down Consumption of Alcohol at Bars Statewide immediately.

The national number of daily coronavirus case reports reached a new high Friday as well at almost 40,000.

33 states are currently seeing the number of new cases grow from the week before.

with our states' highest number so far yesterday, my little neighborhood here in TN had a community yardsale this morning. I'm livid. Not one single mask did I see when outside with my dog. Thank goodness for divine intervention - a quick, but extreme downpour sent most scattering. Was a beautiful sight to witness. Unfortunately it didn't last all morning.

I so appreciate this forum and all of you that gather here and post. I still sit on my hands mostly - I just can't trust myself right now to be politically correct and not offend someone. I've had my hands gently slapped a couple times by Admin so I'm trying to show some restraint, as this is where I find the most common sense and links to news, scientific and medical expert opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anon_11