Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #69

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drove through my small town today and passed by a local bar that serves food on the patio. It was jam packed. These were not just kids, but older adults (30,40,50) too. I didn’t see anybody with a mask on. Unbelievable.

Californians turn against each other amid 2nd coronavirus shutdown

“”Is it asking too much to wear a mask?” Lescault tweeted in a rush of anger. “You can’t have a healthy economy without a healthy community. Get a clue please.”“

[...]

“”Just wear a [expletive] mask, people,” actor Coby Ryan McLaughlin tweeted. “I wanna get back to work. I want my kid to be able to socialize at school. I wanna sit in a bar with my lady and have a drink. Stop being an [expletive]. Especially you, Florida. (And you, too, California).””

[...]

“The mask wars were fought this week in real life, too. On the same day Newsom announced the wider shutdown, the Orange County Board of Education voted to recommend schools reopen in the fall without mandatory masks for students or increased social distancing. The vote by the largely conservative board ignited an immediate uproar. As one antimask speaker at a subsequent Board of Supervisors meeting declared: “We here in Orange County are the heart of the resistance.””

[...]

““Summer should have been spent by making the best efforts to decrease the curve and spread of coronavirus, to allow future generations of our society to earn an education as everyone else,” the Glendora teen said. “Instead, it was spent by disobeying orders and spreading a plague of death that could’ve been prevented...”

Or as UC San Francisco epidemiologist and infectious-diseases expert Dr. George Rutherford put it: “I think wearing a mask and trying to follow a few simple things isn’t the end of the world. We’re not signaling the end of Western civilization here. This is pretty benign stuff.”“

Further proof we are all living in The Twilight Zone.

It's definitely weird. Like we're all inside some giant sinister plot, with propaganda and drama and denial and everything at once. That's my definition of weird, anyway.

I have had vivid dreams for 2 nights, involving Huge Storms and such.

Which trustworthy countries will have had time to do a meaningful study on reopening their schools? Has any trustworthy country had a school open longer than a few weeks?

Our schools have been open all the way through, except for the Easter school holidays which were extended from two weeks to four weeks while we guaged the dangers as best as we could.

Any school closures have been just for a few days. Generally a virus case is detected, the school closes for deep cleaning and then re-opens. But that has only happened in two states that I know of.

I can't imagine that there would be any meaningful comparison to the US that would quell people's anxiety about this. We just don't have the kind of school populations as in the US.

As late as March 6th, Dr. Fauci was saying that there was no need for social distancing or other mitigation strategies to be implemented across the country, other than in Seattle where there was community spread. Asked about other mitigation strategies, like eliminating more travel, etc., he said that no, we're not there yet as a country. He said that at that time, the White House Task Force was meeting daily, and on the phone several times a day.

Dr. Anthony Fauci: Social distancing not yet needed nationwide to fight coronavirus

Yes, very true, however things changed very quickly, within days.

Just by the luck of the Gods, a US expert just happened to be visiting family in Lombardi, Italy the week of the 6th and prior to. Very quickly he returned to Germany and back to the US within days. I knew the day they announced returning to the US it was bad and was just waiting for the news to drop. Very shortly the first WH presser with the 15 day Stop the spread plan. "Somebody knew something" around the 8th of March that changed folks mind.

Moo....

Californians turn against each other amid 2nd coronavirus shutdown

“”Is it asking too much to wear a mask?” Lescault tweeted in a rush of anger. “You can’t have a healthy economy without a healthy community. Get a clue please.”“

[...]

“”Just wear a [expletive] mask, people,” actor Coby Ryan McLaughlin tweeted. “I wanna get back to work. I want my kid to be able to socialize at school. I wanna sit in a bar with my lady and have a drink. Stop being an [expletive]. Especially you, Florida. (And you, too, California).””

[...]

“The mask wars were fought this week in real life, too. On the same day Newsom announced the wider shutdown, the Orange County Board of Education voted to recommend schools reopen in the fall without mandatory masks for students or increased social distancing. The vote by the largely conservative board ignited an immediate uproar. As one antimask speaker at a subsequent Board of Supervisors meeting declared: “We here in Orange County are the heart of the resistance.””

[...]

““Summer should have been spent by making the best efforts to decrease the curve and spread of coronavirus, to allow future generations of our society to earn an education as everyone else,” the Glendora teen said. “Instead, it was spent by disobeying orders and spreading a plague of death that could’ve been prevented...”

Or as UC San Francisco epidemiologist and infectious-diseases expert Dr. George Rutherford put it: “I think wearing a mask and trying to follow a few simple things isn’t the end of the world. We’re not signaling the end of Western civilization here. This is pretty benign stuff.”“
I think everyone will sue somebody or be sued by somebody when this is all over.

‘I’ve been discriminated against’: San Diego woman who refused to wear mask at Starbucks seeks half of $100,000 donated to barista | KTLA

A San Diego woman who took to social media to criticize a Starbucks barista for refusing to serve her because she didn’t have on a mask now wants half of the $100,000 donations that were sent to the young man — and she’s threatening to sue.

Amber Gilles said she posted a photo of barista Lenin Gutierrez after he asked her to wear a mask at Starbucks.

The caption reads,”Meet Lenen from Starbucks who refused to serve me cause I’m not wearing a mask. Next time I will wait for cops and bring a medical exemption.”

That post exploded online, and a to raise tip money for Gutierrez surpassed $100,000.

Gilles claims she has medical problems preventing her from wearing a mask and that she was discriminated against, according to San Diego television station KGTV. She also said she thinks masks are not effective.
Gilles wants half of the money donated, which was given to Gutierrez in cash last week, and is threatening to sue.

She says the lawyers she’s spoken to about taking her case are expensive and she can’t afford one yet — so she started her own to raise legal fees.

It's definitely weird. Like we're all inside some giant sinister plot, with propaganda and drama and denial and everything at once. That's my definition of weird, anyway.

I have had vivid dreams for 2 nights, involving Huge Storms and such.
I've noticed that times I'm most anxious about COVID-20, I'll have bad dreams.

I think everyone will sue somebody or be sued by somebody when this is all over.

‘I’ve been discriminated against’: San Diego woman who refused to wear mask at Starbucks seeks half of $100,000 donated to barista | KTLA

A San Diego woman who took to social media to criticize a Starbucks barista for refusing to serve her because she didn’t have on a mask now wants half of the $100,000 donations that were sent to the young man — and she’s threatening to sue.

Amber Gilles said she posted a photo of barista Lenin Gutierrez after he asked her to wear a mask at Starbucks.

The caption reads,”Meet Lenen from Starbucks who refused to serve me cause I’m not wearing a mask. Next time I will wait for cops and bring a medical exemption.”

That post exploded online, and a ******** to raise tip money for Gutierrez surpassed $100,000.

Gilles claims she has medical problems preventing her from wearing a mask and that she was discriminated against, according to San Diego television station KGTV. She also said she thinks masks are not effective.
Gilles wants half of the money donated, which was given to Gutierrez in cash last week, and is threatening to sue.

She says the lawyers she’s spoken to about taking her case are expensive and she can’t afford one yet — so she started her own ******** to raise legal fees.
My God, she needs to take a seat. As if she didn't look bad enough in the initial encounter, now she's suing. What an entitiled fool. MOO

New research examining COVID-19 and human sperm suggests potential risks for male infertility as well as sexual transmission.

A study published last month in JAMA analyzed semen samples of 38 COVID-19 patients and found the presence of the virus in 15% of them.

According to researcher Dr. John Aitken, COVID-19’s pathological impact on those tested is underscored by data that shows active cases dramatically reduce testosterone to luteinizing hormones.

Coronavirus can cause male infertility and be transmitted sexually, research suggests

Nearly a Thousand COVID-19 Cases Reported in California Day Cares

“New data revealed by NBC Bay Area’s Investigative Unit shows 998 COVID-19 cases in child care facilities across California. The Investigative Unit documents how two Bay Area child care centers scrambled to prevent outbreaks after learning of COVID-19 positive cases among the kids who attend their facilities.

“The cases are up 12% since last week, according to California’s Department of Social Services, which recently started compiling the cases at child care facilities and will continue posting weekly on its website, along with resources and guidelines for child care businesses.”

[...]

““We were notified by the health department, by public health, that two children in our toddler program who are related tested positive for COVID through contact tracing,” said Susan Gilmore, the center’s CEO, adding, “these are kids that never would have been tested. They were asymptomatic, went through the check-in every morning, taking their temperature.”“

Last edited:
No Alcohol for NYers Unless Served With Food, Cuomo Says

Starting today, establishments are now only permitted to serve alcohol to people who are ordering food, Cuomo said.

He also announced a "Three Strikes and You're Closed" initiative that could shut down bars and restaurants with three or more violations for failing to enforce social distancing.

That post exploded online, and a ******** to raise tip money for Gutierrez surpassed $100,000.

She says the lawyers she’s spoken to about taking her case are expensive and she can’t afford one yet — so she started her own ******** to raise legal fees.

They would be friv0lous lawsuits. imo

What kind of damages payout would they be expecting? The price of a cup of coffee? The price of whatever they were going to buy in the store that they were refused admittance to?

New research examining COVID-19 and human sperm suggests potential risks for male infertility as well as sexual transmission.

A study published last month in JAMA analyzed semen samples of 38 COVID-19 patients and found the presence of the virus in 15% of them.

According to researcher Dr. John Aitken, COVID-19’s pathological impact on those tested is underscored by data that shows active cases dramatically reduce testosterone to luteinizing hormones.

Coronavirus can cause male infertility and be transmitted sexually, research suggests

This is interesting bc there was an intitial report out of China early on, which also stated the infertility aspect, but was then later retracted, iirc, moo.

As far as sexual transmission, WOW if this has validity. I mean if you’re that close, you’re already breathing on each other and having close contact, obviously, but via sperm? This is definitely a new one.

Last edited:
Yes, very true, however things changed very quickly, within days.

Just by the luck of the Gods, a US expert just happened to be visiting family in Lombardi, Italy the week of the 6th and prior to. Very quickly he returned to Germany and back to the US within days. I knew the day they announced returning to the US it was bad and was just waiting for the news to drop. Very shortly the first WH presser with the 15 day Stop the spread plan. "Somebody knew something" around the 8th of March that changed folks mind.

Moo....

A lot of people knew something around the 8th of March. We were already getting alerts that this might change into a big event at that time.

It is difficult to predict how the outbreak will evolve in Australia and the situation may change rapidly. When significant community transmission is occurring, social distancing measures such as cancellation of public gatherings will be considered.
The AHPPC is closely monitoring the situation and further advice regarding public events will be provided when necessary.
Australian Health Protection Principal Committee (AHPPC) coronavirus (COVID-19) statement on 8 March 2020

Just what Georgia needs right now. Legal fights between their governor and a mayor. They might want to spend their time and energy verifying their numbers and worrying about hospital capacity not to mention lack of PPE. Good Lord.

I'm so angry. I'd vote for a farm animal running against him next time. This is outrageous.

A lot of people knew something around the 8th of March. We were already getting alerts that this might change into a big event at that time.

It is difficult to predict how the outbreak will evolve in Australia and the situation may change rapidly. When significant community transmission is occurring, social distancing measures such as cancellation of public gatherings will be considered.
The AHPPC is closely monitoring the situation and further advice regarding public events will be provided when necessary.
Australian Health Protection Principal Committee (AHPPC) coronavirus (COVID-19) statement on 8 March 2020

I was already stocked up and in lockdown by then. If we in here were ready by then, then that tells you something, because we had same access to the same information officials did. Probably even less.

Last edited:
Blood types and coronavirus: Are certain types more vulnerable to Covid-19? - CNN

@mickey2942 , you’ll be happy to see:

BBM:
“However, some studies have people wondering if blood type affects coronavirus risk. One, for instance, suggests that people with Type A may have a higher risk of catching Covid-19 and of developing severe symptoms while people with Type O blood may have a lower risk.

A study published this week counters some these early findings, a reminder that scientific discovery is an evolving process. Researchers at Massachusetts General Hospital and Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital published a study Thursday that found no evidence that blood type affects whether someone develops severe symptoms (defined as intubation or death) from a coronavirus infection.”

When I read the above, I thought, "Intubation and death are not symptoms!" The authors of the study said that "there was no association noted between ABO blood type and COVID-19 disease severity defined as intubation or death." They also said: "The primary outcome of interest, composite intubation, or death yielded no association with blood type; furthermore, there were no significant associations with blood type and need for hospitalization, proning requirement while intubated or for any of the inflammatory markers reviewed in this study on univariate analysis."
BBM

This is good news because I have type A blood!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rosegold45