Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #69

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Tillicum, I just coincidentally came across “hydrogen peroxide” in an article about PPE, and was reminded of the article we discussed a bit upstream re: the germ killing technology installed in the bingo hall. I’m not sure how similar the processes are, etc. or if it’s significant, but thought it was worth making a note:

‘It’s like pulling teeth’: There’s still a PPE shortage — and a second wave could send medical workers into crisis mode - The Boston Globe
Jun 21

“The masks are then sent to a massive machine in Somerville that uses hydrogen peroxide vapor to disinfect them. That process has raised concerns the chemicals could be dangerous. Some nurses have reported nausea or headaches.“
—-

Germ killing technology installed at local bingo hall

“Extreme Microbial Technology of Centerville designed the system.

It works by using a combo of energy and hydrogen peroxide gas to attack microbes, reducing them by 99-percent.

“What we’re doing is effective and is safe,” said Berryessa.“

Last edited:
Just what Georgia needs right now. Legal fights between their governor and a mayor. They might want to spend their time and energy verifying their numbers and worrying about hospital capacity not to mention lack of PPE. Good Lord.

Chuck Woolery says 'everyone is lying' about coronavirus, then reveals son's diagnosis

Former game show host Chuck Woolery, who tweeted Sunday that "Everyone is lying" about COVID-19, including the media, Democrats and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said a day later that his son was diagnosed with the disease.

His Twitter account no longer existed on Wednesday.
On Monday afternoon, Woolery said his son tested positive for COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus.

"To further clarify and add perspective, Covid-19 is real and it is here. My son tested positive for the virus," Woolery tweeted, adding that he feels for "those suffering and especially for those who have lost loved ones."

Remain calm. CA and AZ not done yet with theirs.:(

So glad AZ is off the front page, but our death totals will probably spike before dropping in a week. Hospitals are seeing less CLI, but ICUs are packed from our late June increase in cases.

Chuck Woolery says 'everyone is lying' about coronavirus, then reveals son's diagnosis

Former game show host Chuck Woolery, who tweeted Sunday that "Everyone is lying" about COVID-19, including the media, Democrats and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said a day later that his son was diagnosed with the disease.

On Monday afternoon, Woolery said his son tested positive for COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus.

"To further clarify and add perspective, Covid-19 is real and it is here. My son tested positive for the virus," Woolery tweeted, adding that he feels for "those suffering and especially for those who have lost loved ones."

Further proof we are all living in The Twilight Zone.

Just what Georgia needs right now. Legal fights between their governor and a mayor. They might want to spend their time and energy verifying their numbers and worrying about hospital capacity not to mention lack of PPE. Good Lord.
I saw a meme on FB that stated something to the effect of "If the brain were an App...perhaps more people would use it." MOO

California pastor to defy Newsom's shutdown, possibly run for governor

“A California pastor said he would defy Gov. Gavin Newsom's latest coronavirus lockdown — and maybe even challenge him in the polls.

Pastor Greg Fairrington, leader of 3,500-members Destiny Christian Church outside of Sacramento, said he plans to continue holding in-person services despite Newsom's second shutdown announced Monday. The Golden State has had a steep surge of COVID-19 cases, now second to New York.”

The University of Akron Board of Trustees on Wednesday unanimously approved a measure to reduce 178 union and nonunion faculty and staff positions.

Facing an estimated $65 million shortfall, the university expects to save $16.4 million through the mass layoff, which will begin in two weeks.

University of Akron Trustees Approve Mass Faculty Layoff

Are strict border controls between States in Australia common? During an outbreak of some kind of plant or insect infestation I recall being questioned at the California border, but otherwise our border crossings consist of big signs saying "Welcome to the <insert slogan> State!"
in short, ‘no’. LOL. They could, I’m thinking, do it at tollbooths at the place where each state starts its highway system, and make you show your identification.

I can't recall any other event that has forced us to close our borders, not even in our history books.
Interstate travel is generally unrestricted. With drop points that encourage people to dump fruit/veg before entering another state - to avoid fruit fly contamination.

Most of our states don't have toll booths even, as squareandrabbet says there are some toll booths in the eastern states, but for the rest of us there are so many open roads leading into each state.

State border control is very difficult. Check points on main highways, police patrolling back roads (of which there are many), and using drones to keep a lookout, is how they are doing it.

Last edited:

"To further clarify and add perspective, Covid-19 is real and it is here. My son tested positive for the virus," Woolery tweeted, adding that he feels for "those suffering and especially for those who have lost loved ones." ...

Trump tweeted Woolery. What's Trump going to say now?
Trump retweets game show host Chuck Woolery's baseless claim that 'everyone is lying' about coronavirus

I started watching the daily talks in January too. They were definitely warning people and very clear for the potential for a pandemic and how action needed to be taken now.

But you are right they were delayed in calling it a pandemic. I remember us on the thread feeling really frustrated that we were meeting WHO's own criteria but they essentially changed it midstream. I think they were trying to avoid panic. But no one really took it seriously either until it was declared a pandemic. I remember sharing articles about it almost daily on FB and it was almost universally ignored till that declaration.
I followed very early on as well, then found the thread shortly after it was created. It was a wealth of knowledge and hot with current scientific data.

I did not watch the WHO conferences, after the first one or two. I did read the media/thread updates from WHO. I listened to "other" US Sources.

I lost faith in WHO early in the ball game. But I had an advantage of knowing some really smart insiders. I ordered N95s shortly after New Years was fully stocked and prepared by the end of Jan. Just had that feeling ....

It was frustrating because no one would listen. There was not a media focus and my friends and neighbors thought I was nuts, until March when they needed N95s and toilet paper.

Yes, this got out of hand quickly. No one, not one country was prepared for the magnitude of a fiercely contagious deadly virus.

Moo....

What is wrong with Gov Kemp. Everything he is doing is so countintuitive . . .
Georgia governor sues Atlanta mayor over city's mask mandate
CNN)Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp announced Thursday he is suing Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms over the city's mask mandate, claiming the measure violates his emergency orders.
"This lawsuit is on behalf of the Atlanta business owners and their hardworking employees who are struggling to survive during these difficult times," Kemp tweeted.
Georgia governor suspends all local mask mandates, encourages but doesn't require masks for residents - CNNPolitics

I think the answer is "elections" and "politics." There are a lot of voting, anti-maskers in Georgia (and elsewhere).

The longterm view, that a leader is supposed to bring, is missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member