Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #71

Status
Not open for further replies.
It just seems to me no country or state can stick to any rules unless it is a near dictatorship. Lockdowns and advice being flouted all over the place. Outbreaks cropping up needing whack a mole and/or prosecutions. We would be useless back in WW2 conditions. Mind you, we did have a rampant black market for goods based on the stories I have heard.

More big numbers today from little ol' South Carolina. :(

Update - Friday, July 24, 2:40 pm

Nearly 2,000 additional coronavirus cases; 1 more case of MIS-C reported Friday
"One additional case is reported of Multisystem Inflammatory Syndrome in Children (MIS-C) associated with COVID-19. The child is under the age of 10 from the Upstate region. This brings the total number of MIS-C cases in South Carolina to five."

78,298 confirmed positive cases (+1,921)
Probable positive cases = 309

1,339 confirmed deaths (+46)

Probable deaths = 46

"Total Tests Received" - 680,947
Percent Positive - 21.6%

SC Testing Data & Projections (COVID-19) | SCDHEC

It just seems to me no country or state can stick to any rules unless it is a near dictatorship. Lockdowns and advice being flouted all over the place. Outbreaks cropping up needing whack a mole and/or prosecutions. We would be useless back in WW2 conditions. Mind you, we did have a rampant black market for goods based on the stories I have heard.

This is something that is rarely discussed. We see pictures of large crowds, all over the world, wherever they are able to congregate, comment on how "terrible" it is, and move on. At some point we need to come to grips with the fact that perhaps half the population fears this and half don't. How do we figure out a way for both groups to live in peace, for what may be a long time?

I’m cooking some kind of pandemic slop right now, and thinking about some of the kitchens I’ve worked in over the years, and how hot they can be.

I can’t imagine how uncomfortable it must be trying to work in a hot restaurant kitchen with a mask on.

Bless these folks.

Last edited:
I try to keep up on the news in my work territories, following a few reporters, and saw a troubling webcast today. Apparently, a much beloved 62 yo woman in a rural area of Tennessee passed away this week from Covid. She grew up in the area and had somewhat of a high profile job. In addition, her husband is a minister in one of the area churches.

So her funeral was live on one of the social media platforms and the church was packed. You could only see the back of people’s heads so no clue if anyone had masks on but there is no mask mandate in the state nor in the county of her residence. If I was a betting woman, my bed would be a big NO. I just want to shake some sense into folks!

This county is having their fair with strict guidelines. I like their signs. Maintain social distancing keep one cow apart.

Socially-distanced Clark County Fair set to start this weekend

We cancelled our fall fairs in this region (N. ON). We just love each other so much that we don't think social distancing is going to work at the fair. But, our fair committee came up with some alternate ideas.

The parade will still happen, except the participants will remain in place on their floats, socially distanced, masked, etc, and the guests will do a drive by starting at 11:00.

You can do this kind of thing in a small town. ;)

The quilts and other displays will all be done virtually, with people submitting their items online. They'll be judged and will get prizes. Usually everyone gets a prize anyway, so there should be no sore losers.

There are online games and contests that have been planned to replace the midway.

It's a ton of work for the fair committee and we appreciate their efforts. But, I'm really going to miss buying fresh corn on the cob and blueberry pie.

We cancelled our fall fairs in this region (N. ON). We just love each other so much that we don't think social distancing is going to work at the fair. But, our fair committee came up with some alternate ideas.

The parade will still happen, except the participants will remain in place on their floats, socially distanced, masked, etc, and the guests will do a drive by starting at 11:00.

The quilts and other displays will all be done virtually, with people submitting their items online. They'll be judged and will get prizes. Usually everyone gets a prize anyway, so there should be no sore losers.

There are online games and contests that have been planned to replace the midway.

It's a ton of work for the fair committee and we appreciate their efforts. But, I'm really going to miss buying fresh corn on the cob and blueberry pie.

BBM - Awesome - what a great idea! Let's hear it for small town life. :D

I hear you. Our county fair, also known as The Peach Festival, would be going on this week/weekend. I really miss wandering around to all the booths, seeing the animals on display, the horse riding events, and also enjoying the homemade peach goodies for purchasing and eating. Plus there would be live music and the barbecue dinner platters.

Next week would have been another county fair, in the county just south of ours, with the same typed of events. Good old-fashioned fun like tractor pull contests and hay rides around the grounds. Both are sponsored by 4H clubs and so it becomes even sadder for all the kids who raise their rabbits and chickens and other animals, who compete in the horse events, and grow certain fruits and veggies to earn their ribbons.

These were both cancelled months ago, so it's no surprise, but it is hard at the moment as they would have been going on this weekend and next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member