FL FL - Leila Cavett, 21, of GA (son Kamdyn, 2, found wandering streets), Miramar, 27 July 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn’t make me angry, just because they are related doesn’t mean they automatically become the correct guardians for the wee lad. How many cases here on WS relate to mistreatment of children by family members? How many of those relate to children who are in kinship care? I have not looked on social media so don’t know how strong the existing relationships between Kamdyn and his extended family are, but they will be allowed access until decisions are made.

This little lad can’t be allowed to end up anywhere but in the best long term situation for him. Social services (Child Protection Services in the US?) are often lambasted on this site for not following protocol, in this sad and worrying case it is essential that they do IMO.

Wish I could like this 100 times. I am absolutely not saying this is the case for this specific family, but when kids need to be cared for Child Services has to investigate the situation thoroughly before releasing them to family because family can be related to the child AND have convictions for previous child abuse or neglect, related to the child AND have active drug addictions, related to the child BUT be minors themselves, related to the child BUT have living conditions that aren't safe.

I know people who provide emergency foster care for situations just like this and they were thoroughly vetted, their home inspected, etc. They aren't trying to adopt a child. They are really caring people who want to provide a safe haven to a child in need until these custody issues can be sorted.

Wish I could like this 100 times. I am absolutely not saying this is the case for this specific family, but when kids need to be cared for Child Services has to investigate the situation thoroughly before releasing them to family because family can be related to the child AND have convictions for previous child abuse or neglect, related to the child AND have active drug addictions, related to the child BUT be minors themselves, related to the child BUT have living conditions that aren't safe.

I know people who provide emergency foster care for situations just like this and they were thoroughly vetted, their home inspected, etc. They aren't trying to adopt a child. They are really caring people who want to provide a safe haven to a child in need until these custody issues can be sorted.

I wish I could like YOUR post 1000 times! You are completely correct and, geek that I am, I bounced up and down in my seat when I read your post. Thank you.

Mod note:

While members’ personal experiences can occasionally lend a bit of context to the cases we discuss here, please remember that the threads are to be focused on the VICTIMS of these cases. Further comments about a member‘s individual story can derail the discussion and make it very confusing for readers who are here for the case, and not our own stories. Please try to remember that, and try not to enter into a discussion about the member’s story. Moderators are sensitive to what our members have to share, but at the same time, we want to insure that the topic remains on the victim, and does not veer off with multiple replies commenting on the member and not the victim

THANK YOU for understanding and supporting that guideline.

CocoChanel

This breaks my heart. He’s should be with his family. He’s not unwanted. He doesn’t need to be in foster care or adopted. Poor sweet baby.
CPS has to verify which placement would be best to meet Kam’s needs even in situations of temporary placement. Being placed in a family member’s home does not always make for a safe and healthy placement.

CPS has to verify which placement would be best to meet Kam’s needs even in situations of temporary placement. Being placed in a family member’s home does not always make for a safe and healthy placement.
Just to add, that at the moment it might be best for the child to be placed in "neutral territory".
This must be a very stressful and tumultuous time for the family and heaven forbid they receive very bad news, things will be worse, plus they will be busy addressing a number of concerns.
Hopefully all will be okay in the end, but in the meantime - having presumably objective and calm care for the active toddler, might be a blessing for the time being until everything gets sorted out.
just imo.

One thing about the possible drug angle. All speculation on a sensitive topic!

Unfortunately, people do all sorts of things for drugs. I have been wondering if the seemingly brief fling with bio-dad had a drug angle to it. For example (not saying this happened here) sometimes people trade their body for drugs. I have considered if this was how LC and DW connected?

Above, not an opinion yet, just a thought.

One thing about the possible drug angle. All speculation on a sensitive topic!

Unfortunately, people do all sorts of things for drugs. I have been wondering if the seemingly brief fling with bio-dad had a drug angle to it. For example (not saying this happened here) sometimes people trade their body for drugs. I have considered if this was how LC and DW connected?

Above, not an opinion yet, just a thought.

I think it's pretty far fetched IMO. A random hook up after a party is far more likely.

We've jumped from one minor drug conviction, to prostitution in order to feed the habit.

I think it's pretty far fetched IMO. A random hook up after a party is far more likely.

We've jumped from one minor drug conviction, to prostitution in order to feed the habit.

True, but we have also jumped from her being a good and present mom to her child wandering the streets alone in a strange city and she is nowhere to be found, so I feel like there is a wide spectrum of possibilities here. Either way, bio-dad not on the bc so clearly wasn't an important relationship for her.

I don't think that it's fair to claim that Leila is an addict. To my knowledge, there is only one prior on her record relating to drugs. A problematic addiction tends to throw up many convinctions and run ins with law enforcement. We also do not know whether or how that case was/or whether it has been settled. I do not believe that her disapearance is relating to that at all!

I personally believe, that perhaps she met a person online. Young single Mom, it's not easy to meet people. I'm sure it can be very lonely. You are more susceptible to falling foul of an online predator that acts like Prince Charming. That could also explain why she didn't tell anyone where she was going. People are normally very negative and sceptical of meeting people you meet online.

All accounts claim that Leila was a very good Mother. I do not believe for one minute that she was laying in a motel room, high on drugs - and Kamdyn just wandered out by himself. He is clearly a confident, healthy and well adjusted little boy. That doesn't happen by fluke.

Obviously, this is all just MOO.
Good post. For some reason, I'm getting the vibe that her "drug problems" were not THAT serious. And that story about her using crack cocaine was just an excuse to kick her out of the house easily. I'm not stating this as a fact, I'm just thinking out loud. It wouldn't be the first time a angry family member/roommate/friend accused someone of doing something they actually didn't do to get them out of the house without much of a fight. Just something to think about. The drug charge was just marijuana and a controlled substance, it's possible we're reading way too much into the drug angle.

Good post. For some reason, I'm getting the vibe that her "drug problems" were not THAT serious. And that story about her using crack cocaine was just an excuse to kick her out of the house easily. I'm not stating this as a fact, I'm just thinking out loud. It wouldn't be the first time a angry family member/roommate/friend accused someone of doing something they actually didn't do to get them out of the house without much of a fight. Just something to think about. The drug charge was just marijuana and a controlled substance, it's possible we're reading way too much into the drug angle.

Exactly!

I am in need of a second set of eyes. There is a FB page called Hollywood Beach, FL. I decided to scroll through recent photos. There is one post on July 25 credited to an AF. There is a pic of a couple taking a selfie on the beach, she is wearing a white dress. The girl sort of/kind of reminds me of LC. Any chance you could take a look and see your thoughts? Probably nothing but thought I'd see what you all thought. Note to all: do not bring page or picture here!!

Why did she need an SUV instead of her Corolla, but end up with a very large truck when she was about to make a long trip? Why was she selling so many items on the Internet in various locations including Ohio? Why did she leave Georgia without telling anyone? Why did she come to South Florida during a pandemic? Has she done this type of thing before? Why are her relationships with immediate family fractured? Why weren’t her sisters begging a kidnapper to let her go, instead of pleading with her to come forward no matter what she’s done? These questions once answered will help us understand Leila’s state of mind. The lack of answers to these questions make it difficult to understand if she’s in “danger”as the police say, or in hiding.

Last edited:
I am in need of a second set of eyes. There is a FB page called Hollywood Beach, FL. I decided to scroll through recent photos. There is one post on July 25 credited to an AF. There is a pic of a couple taking a selfie on the beach, she is wearing a white dress. The girl sort of/kind of reminds me of LC. Any chance you could take a look and see your thoughts? Probably nothing but thought I'd see what you all thought. Note to all: do not bring page or picture here!!

It'shard to tell but don't think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member