Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #72

Status
Not open for further replies.
New coronavirus cases must stay under 3 percent for New York City schools to stay open: de Blasio

New coronavirus cases will have to remain under 3% for New York City schools to physically open in September — and will have to remain under that threshold for the school system to continue operating throughout the year, Mayor de Blasio said Friday.

The guideline is more strict than the 5% threshold recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Gov. Cuomo as necessary for reopening schools, a move de Blasio attributed in part to how densely packed the city is and the trauma its residents have felt.

“We have a particular challenge here in New York City. We were the epicenter,” de Blasio said Friday. “We’ve fought so hard to come back from this disease. We’re going to be very cautious to not let there be a resurgence.”

He and top city health and education officials laid out the city’s re-opening plan in more detail Friday, but significant questions still remain about childcare amid what will likely be an unpredictable in-school learning schedule.

De Blasio reiterated the city’s plan Friday to provide childcare for 100,000 children who will not be able to attend class full-time in the fall, but he has not detailed how that will work when families who test negative are forced to scramble on the fly amid potential school shutdowns caused by new COVID-19 cases.

Pa. to hire more coronavirus contact tracers, starting at $18 an hour | TribLIVE.com

The Pennsylvania Department of Health announced Friday that it will hire 1,000 additional contact tracing staff in an effort to curb the spread of covid-19.

A nearly $23 million, federally funded contract with Insight Global, an Atlanta-based staffing agency, will help pay to recruit, hire, train and support the new contact tracers, officials said.

Pay for for contact tracers range from $18 to $22 an hour. The rate for contact tracing supervisors and care resource managers ranges from $22 to $24 an hour. All work is remote.

The additional 1,000 contact tracing staff will join the existing 654 contact tracers currently working throughout Pennsylvania.

As temperatures rise with coronavirus cases, experts eye impact of air conditioning

Milton's worries were in part formed by research he and an international team of scientists published earlier this month that looked at the spread of the influenza virus, which causes the seasonal flu. The research found that the flu virus might be spread through the air, as fine droplets, rather than through large droplet spray, as was previously believed.

Moreover, the research revealed the virus’s infection rate appeared to drop in well-ventilated areas. Since both influenza and COVID-19 are respiratory viruses, Milton said his findings could mean that the types of closed spaces people typically go to escape the summer heat, when crowded with people close together, could also be ideal locations for virus spread.

And though Milton said he was especially concerned about cooling centers, a study recently published by researchers at the University of Minnesota and undergoing peer review suggested that the particular indoor setting and even the position of the ventilation could impact how well it did against potential viral-containing particles. With schools scrambling to prepare for fall, the University of Minnesota study included a classroom simulation.

New coronavirus cases must stay under 3 percent for New York City schools to stay open: de Blasio

New coronavirus cases will have to remain under 3% for New York City schools to physically open in September — and will have to remain under that threshold for the school system to continue operating throughout the year, Mayor de Blasio said Friday.

The guideline is more strict than the 5% threshold recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Gov. Cuomo as necessary for reopening schools, a move de Blasio attributed in part to how densely packed the city is and the trauma its residents have felt.

“We have a particular challenge here in New York City. We were the epicenter,” de Blasio said Friday. “We’ve fought so hard to come back from this disease. We’re going to be very cautious to not let there be a resurgence.”

He and top city health and education officials laid out the city’s re-opening plan in more detail Friday, but significant questions still remain about childcare amid what will likely be an unpredictable in-school learning schedule.

De Blasio reiterated the city’s plan Friday to provide childcare for 100,000 children who will not be able to attend class full-time in the fall, but he has not detailed how that will work when families who test negative are forced to scramble on the fly amid potential school shutdowns caused by new COVID-19 cases.
ours are opening in a few weeks.
Coronavirus (COVID-19)
locally, parents who didn't "vote" will have in school education choice made on their behalf from what the parents in my community are saying.

COVID-19: Kyrgyzstan Observes National Day Of Mourning; Uzbek Deputy Finance Minister Dies

Flags are flying at half-staff in Kyrgyzstan as the country observes a national day of mourning to commemorate victims of the coronavirus pandemic that has swept across the Central Asian nation.

President Sooronbai Jeenbekov and other top officials attended a mourning ceremony on July 30 at the Ata-Beiit memorial complex, where a mass prayer was said to honor the deadly infection's victims.

In neighboring Uzbekistan, authorities said on July 29 that Deputy Finance Minister Yorqin Tursunov had died of COVID-19 at the age of 55.

According to the Finance Ministry, Tursunov was hospitalized with acute COVID-19 symptoms two days earlier.

Terrible. Beyond terrible. Almost wish I didn’t read it.

Sad thing is, it makes perfect sense to me, this whole “wave” thing he describes, or lack thereof. And challenges associated with mass vaccinations, etc.

We have known the challenge of vaccines and how long it takes, etc. I was hopeful though.

Man.

Speechless.

If this is the case, would I rather know the truth? Yes because we’ve come this far. But man, not what we wanted to hear obviously. But maybe we do need to know the truth though, that this option exists. I’ve quoted before from others that there is no guarantee on a vaccine.

Eta: yeah I can’t even process this.

—-
Eta2: I can’t believe this is happening.

—-
Eta3: Yeah I’m not sure I should’ve read that.

Gah/

—-

Re: this second article:

““For some, they may be anxious on whether a COVID-19 vaccine is safe and effective. Others may be mistrustful.””

(Raises hand.)

OMG do not take what one person says and run to the finish line with it...

NO... Covid is not going to last forever just because this guy says so. In earth's time all viruses have faded. This is taking longer but so what? It takes longer then.

NO... Covid is not going to last forever just because this guy says so. In earth's time all viruses have faded. This is taking longer but so what? It takes longer then.

Sweet pea, I’m 71 & have Ménière’s, time is one thing I don’t have a lot of. I also have a son in Portsmouth VA who got laid off & was facing eviction till the bank of Mom helped. The landlady was not sympathetic. He had CHF in the fall.

It’s my nature to worry: about a virus that no one truly knows very much about, at least not with a bit of certainty. My son could die before me. Any idiot sans mask breathing on him. Anything surface not cleaned. Terrified? You bet.

Well, we might have a Cat 1 or 2 Hurricane brushing our area. ( Virginia Beach) Still not a concise track.

Went to Aldi today to get the week's groceries.

I always buy a few extra cans of this or that or napkins, etc. to put in the pantry.

Was in the produce section when two youngish (maybe late 20's) guys walked in, no masks, they headed right for me, no distance at all...I backed up and went "whoa" out loud, the guy goes "what?" I say "no masks" he starts "do you know that masks...." I cut him off "I don't want to hear it, I have a medical background so don't waste your breathe" then he says under his breath "uneducated" and walks off...of course me being me...sometimes hard for me to keep my mouth shut says "hey, I am more educated than you are" ...the end. No he didn't curse me, or come at me...but yes, I realize that these situations are not ideal. sigh.
Just call me frustrated.
p.s masks are mandated in Virginia

Car is gassed up. Plenty of food and water in the house. Its wait and see right now.

Be safe, I know you will.

I'm experiencing the same with those that do not wear a mask. As for, the governor's plan for businesses to enforce, it's a joke. I had a lady push me out the door at Big Lots Sunday. I ask the check out person to ask her to stop bumping me with the cart. The BL employee said, well just hurry up and get out of here. As I was leaving she ran up behind me and pushed me out onto the side walk.

I have other friends have similar experience in surrounding towns. I was limiting my shopping before and utilizing local businesses. I'm not wanting to support the local businesses, if they want protect the customer. Amazon is my new supplier, it's a shame.

***Been keeping my eye on the east coast weather. Hope the hurricane scoots on by us.

Last edited:
The finding that ‘children might play an important role in transmissions’ is likely to fuel debates about whether to reopen schools.“

The report, released Friday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. details an outbreak at a sleep-way camp in Georgia last month in which 260 children and staff — more than three-quarters of those tested — contracted the virus less than a week after spending time in close quarters together. The children had a median age of 12. Unlike staff, they were not required to wear masks, or to open windows to keep their cabins well-ventilated. The camp had required all campers and staff to provide documentation that they had tested negative for the virus.

The statement noted that by not requiring campers to wear masks, or airing out cabins, the camp had not followed CDC reopening guidance, and also pointed to “daily vigorous singing and shouting” as potential contributing factors.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/07/31/georgia-children-covid-outbreak/

Terrible. Beyond terrible. Almost wish I didn’t read it.

Sad thing is, it makes perfect sense to me, this whole “wave” thing he describes, or lack thereof. And challenges associated with mass vaccinations, etc.

We have known the challenge of vaccines and how long it takes, etc. I was hopeful though.

Man.

Speechless.

If this is the case, would I rather know the truth? Yes because we’ve come this far. But man, not what we wanted to hear obviously. But maybe we do need to know the truth though, that this option exists. I’ve quoted before from others that there is no guarantee on a vaccine.

Eta: yeah I can’t even process this.

—-
Eta2: I can’t believe this is happening.

—-
Eta3: Yeah I’m not sure I should’ve read that.

Gah/

—-

Re: this second article:

““For some, they may be anxious on whether a COVID-19 vaccine is safe and effective. Others may be mistrustful.””

(Raises hand.)

Yes, this. I've been following since January and my mind can only take in so much even though I've never been in denial that we are facing this pandemic. I started off with telling myself to just prepare for 3 months. I can prepare for 3 months. And I told myself it would get better in summer. I could hold out till summer.

However at the same time I've always been optimistic on some level. But so far my hopes are pretty much always dashed. Everything goes worse than expected. The response by regional and federal government is worse than expected. It only makes perfect sense that it's very unlikely that we will hit on the magical ideal vaccine that's never yet existed and it will solve our problem. But OF COURSE it turns out this horrific virus isn't showing long lasting immunity on testing. But lets hold out hope it is with T cell memory. Surely it will go away? Not bloody likely...

This is so beyond my scope. It's hard to grasp. But I think none of us has wanted to look at or even think of possible worse case scenarios. We're just getting by day by day, week by week, now month by month. OMG will it move to year by year?

This won't just bring the first world screeching to a halt. We can't handle this virus. Look at some of the articles posted? We can't handle the testing. We can't handle providing enough PPE. We can't even handle the proper medical care and follow up therapy for those who enter a hospital and don't die.

The rest of the poverty stricken world will probably regress deeply losing the gains they've made in the last few decades. They'll struggle to feed themselves. We'll struggle with like WW2 level of goods and scarcity and restricted and limited medical care.

Ha ha. I'm little Miss Sunshine, right? I'm beginning to think we are looking at those doomsday Mad Max scenarios. Maybe I'm just deeply depressed.

As we spiral down and all of our countries are regressing and losing gains many will have little left to lose. This thin thread of civility between the US and China and Iran and others might just disappear entirely. The time period during WW1, the great flu pandemic, the Great Depression and WW2 and the rise of so many like Hitler, Stalin and Mao was probably a pretty bad time to live through.

This glass half empty kind of girl is afraid we are looking at some very similarly dark days ahead. It's difficult to comprehend all the negatives that are continuously occurring and the domino effects they will incur. No wonder most people seem happy to live in a state of total denial that we are even in a pandemic...

I'm just going to double down on making my family as self sufficient as we can but knowing full well it's not really possible. There is nothing else I can do. Note to self: buy incubator, meat rabbits and another bee hive....

Sweet pea, I’m 71 & have Ménière’s, time is one thing I don’t have a lot of. I also have a son in Portsmouth VA who got laid off & was facing eviction till the bank of Mom helped. The landlady was not sympathetic. He had CHF in the fall.

It’s my nature to worry: about a virus that no one truly knows very much about, at least not with a bit of certainty. My son could die before me. Any idiot sans mask breathing on him. Anything surface not cleaned. Terrified? You bet.
I'm not sure what you are trying to convey to me but thankx for sharing. I have a son named Tony and am thankful that he and my daughter-in-law can work from home in
Covid infested Houston. He is happy with his wife and 3 cats...;)
6ec4305e36e5432f8e68b1d1fb997242-1024x512.jpg

...... 3 CATS .......

Last edited:

The story of small pox is a counter example, as are all the various flus and the common cold.

Covid may be like the flu in that regard. Naturally, there will eventually be better treatments, although the damage done by the virus will still be there.

I think the experts are right to worry about this taking a long time. The goal should be to reduce the number of new cases to the smallest number possible. The vaccines, if they are like flu vaccines, should do a lot to reduce mortality.

Mortality and morbidity are two different things though. Dying is bad, but lifelong consequences to a virus are not great either. I really worry about children and young people who have hidden damage or who may be more susceptible to various post-CoVid syndromes later in life. This is no ordinary virus, that's for sure.

I'm not sure what you are trying to convey to me but thankx for sharing. I have a son named Tony and am thankful that he and my daughter-in-law can work from home in
Covid infested Houston. He is happy with his wife and 3 cats...;)
6ec4305e36e5432f8e68b1d1fb997242-1024x512.jpg

...... 3 CATS .......
The story of small pox is a counter example, as are all the various flus and the common cold.

Covid may be like the flu in that regard. Naturally, there will eventually be better treatments, although the damage done by the virus will still be there.

I think the experts are right to worry about this taking a long time. The goal should be to reduce the number of new cases to the smallest number possible. The vaccines, if they are like flu vaccines, should do a lot to reduce mortality.

Mortality and morbidity are two different things though. Dying is bad, but lifelong consequences to a virus are not great either. I really worry about children and young people who have hidden damage or who may be more susceptible to various post-CoVid syndromes later in life. This is no ordinary virus, that's for sure.

What I meant to say, in my imperfect English which is not my first language, Cantabrian Spanish is, is that I don’t have time. I have more history than I have future. That does most definitely scare me, even if you’re brave enough not to be afraid. And my son’s underlying condition. That’s what keeps me up at night. I must be a glass half empty person, perhaps what I’m asking is that you respect my 71 years of a great deal of pain & fear. Some of us are just built that way.

What I meant to say, in my imperfect English which is not my first language, Cantabrian Spanish is, is that I don’t have time. I have more history than I have future. That does most definitely scare me, even if you’re brave enough not to be afraid. And my son’s underlying condition. That’s what keeps me up at night. I must be a glass half empty person, perhaps what I’m asking is that you respect my 71 years of a great deal of pain & fear. Some of us are just built that way.

Your fears seem perfectly rational to me my fellow pessimist. There is a difference between rational and irrational fears. The risks many of us face with this virus are not small or unlikely.

I'm also a glass half empty person and have been this way since toddlerhood. My earliest memories. I accept that I'm this way. We as unique human beings help balance each other out. It wouldn't work well if we were all either overly optimistic or pessimistic.

And so far as future predictions are panning out in this pandemic the glass half empty crowd is far ahead even if we do wish our optimistic friends and family were correct in their predictions. My husband is endlessly optimistic but I'm usually right. LOL

Thanks.

Dr. O knows his stuff though, imo, and sadly I totally get what he’s saying, but you’re right in the sense that really nobody knows.

Eta: Doc T has talked a lot about having hope and being able to turn this around IF certain things can happen (which are NOT happening in the States). I have faith in their work with COVAX & ACT Accelerator.

So good idea. I’ll go in for the latest WHO Conference and report back.

Last edited:
Our local Ospreys and Scarlets have started their pre season training ready for a September start. I cannot see it happening but we will have to wait and see. MOO

Also, re the US plus 1000 deaths a day, was that ever reached or exceeded in the first wave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member