Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #72

Status
Not open for further replies.
My allergies are awful. I cough year round from them. Let's *hope* you're hearing allergy coughs. JMO

I wish we did a better job of tracing - I'd be interested in knowing how many of the new cases are people that have just started leaving home. Of course taking two weeks to get a result back doesn't help.

World Health Organization reports largest single-day increase in coronavirus cases across globe
  • Almost 300,000 new coronavirus cases were reported to the World Health Organization over the last 24 hours, the largest single-day increase ever, the agency said Friday.
  • The Americas reported the highest number of cases, with 171,946; Southeast Asia reported the second-highest, with 60,113, followed by Europe, with 25,241, the WHO said.
  • Globally, the virus has infected more than 17 million people and killed at least 668,910 since it emerged almost seven months ago, according to the WHO data.

I’m not in the UK, but thought there was some good guidance and charts here. For me, I especially liked the chart that addresses “What happens if someone in your family gets sick?”

Coronavirus: What are social distancing and self-isolation rules?

(By the way, it is day 15 and I still have not received my test results. Test done on 7/16.)

I’m not in the UK, but thought there was some good guidance and charts here. For me, I especially liked the chart that addresses “What happens if someone in your family gets sick?”

(By the way, it is day 15 and I still have not received my test results. Test done on 7/16.)

Thanks for posting. I’m in the UK and it’s all a bit confusing and keeps changing. Matt Hancock is our Health Secretary:

2EB021A2-D4FB-4F95-918E-10E6566E392A.jpeg

Sorry to hear you’ve not had test results. I have two friends who got theirs in 15 hours, so 15 days is crazy

15 days? That's crazy. How are you feeling?

Has anyone been in touch for contact tracing?

The articles the BBC do are really helpful. This one below also discusses the areas currently spiking as well as a good explanation of the magical R number.

Coronavirus infections rising in England

(Sorry about posting the Bitcoin article by mistake have corrected now.)

Last edited:
As temperatures rise with coronavirus cases, experts eye impact of air conditioning

Milton's worries were in part formed by research he and an international team of scientists published earlier this month that looked at the spread of the influenza virus, which causes the seasonal flu. The research found that the flu virus might be spread through the air, as fine droplets, rather than through large droplet spray, as was previously believed.

Moreover, the research revealed the virus’s infection rate appeared to drop in well-ventilated areas. Since both influenza and COVID-19 are respiratory viruses, Milton said his findings could mean that the types of closed spaces people typically go to escape the summer heat, when crowded with people close together, could also be ideal locations for virus spread.

And though Milton said he was especially concerned about cooling centers, a study recently published by researchers at the University of Minnesota and undergoing peer review suggested that the particular indoor setting and even the position of the ventilation could impact how well it did against potential viral-containing particles. With schools scrambling to prepare for fall, the University of Minnesota study included a classroom simulation.

This is good. Information learned from studying the spread of CoVid will help us also get influenza under control. It's too bad that flu deaths became so accepted as normal that we ignored the possibility we could change things and save lives.

Coronavirus testing czar predicts US pandemic deaths could start declining 'in a couple of weeks'

One of the Trump administration's top coronavirus advisers told "The Daily Briefing" Friday that the number of pandemic deaths in the U.S. should start to decrease soon, though he warned Americans will still need to take precautions like wearing masks.

"What you're seeing right now is that the positivity rate is down, the numbers of cases are starting to go down, the hospitalizations are going down," Assistant Secretary for Health Admiral Brett Giroir told host Dana Perino.

"But the unfortunate, sad fact, is the mortality, the deaths, will lag a couple of weeks," he added. "So, I'm not making any promises here, but if everything follows, we should start seeing the numbers of deaths go down in a couple of weeks.

"And then it's up to us," Giroir went on. "If we do the things we know so well now that work -- we have evidence on top of evidence that simple mask wearing, if everybody does it, can completely reverse this -- then we're not going to see [any new increases]. But if we don't do that, until we get a vaccine, 90 percent of the population is still at risk to get this virus and that could be catastrophic if we don't do those kinds of actions we're asking."

I hope he is right. I checked the daily deaths and for a period from 9th April to 28th April, US deaths averaged more than 2k per day so the second wave has not got to that level and hopefully will not if he is right. (See link below)

IHME | COVID-19 Projections

Victoria's coronavirus crisis: fear hangs over Melbourne and nothing is like the first wave

Victoria's coronavirus crisis: fear hangs over Melbourne and nothing is like the first wave

Sophie Black

43 mins ago
The morale-boosting markers that were shared across Melbourne during the first lockdown have all but disappeared. Rainbows have peeled off fences, forgotten teddy bears are wedged between Venetian blinds and most of the chalk messages have long washed away.

“This isn’t like the first wave,” our chief health officer, Brett Sutton, said on the Saturday. By the Monday, with the daily presser citing our then record highest number of Covid cases at 532, and cement grey cloud obscuring the sun, Melbourne felt done in. Come Thursday, under a blue sky, with blossoms out and wattle blazing, Victoria clocked 723 – a number that winded the city. And now the fear is back.
Maybe it’ll go down. It’s not a surprise, they say. But maybe this is what it feels like as Covid closes in. Because Sutton is right, nothing about this experience is like the first wave.

I expect that what is happening in Melbourne will be happening in Canada ere long. I just hope that we can take advantage of the forewarning and learn quickly. But, I'm not confident. Our situation will be complicated by students returning to classes, and cold weather moving in. Maybe that will make more people stay home making it easier to contact trace. I donno. I think we might be in for a tough autumn.

Can't remember if we've seen this.

Hundreds of Georgia campers infected with coronavirus at YMCA camp in just days, CDC report finds

According to the report, of the 597 residents who attended the camp, 344 were tested and 260 tested positive for the virus. The camp was only open for four days before being shut down because of the virus, and officials followed all recommended safety protocols.

Seriously. They had camp with 597 people attending. Was there no one to point out that this was a Very Bad Idea?

I am guessing that this is because Auckland is an international flights hub, and NZ has still been repatriating its citizens from other countries (and putting them into 14 day quarantine), as Australia is doing as well - we have a large flight from India touching down here this weekend.

My concern is that the virus is showing up and/or lingering - undetectable - longer than is thought, in some people.

It has been said that the virus can show up in tests 7-10 days after a negative test in a quarantined person. Which is why we test immediately upon quarantine, then test again before release from the 14 day quarantine.

Last edited:
It's stories like this that really make me wonder how widespread this is - especially in places that never really closed. I've noticed that every place I go it seems like everyone is coughing. I'm noticing that most people I talk to know others that have tested positive, but none have had negative outcomes, which adds to the complacency. At the Governor's presser, yesterday, they said that the "testing blitz" expected to do 60K tests. About 15K showed up, so they are sending the remaining 45K kits to other parts of the State, to see if there's any more interest there.

It's interesting that you are hearing coughing. I haven't heard a person cough since March. We have no cases, but everyone is keeping their coughs at home, lest they be run out of town. (Not that they'd be run out of town, but it just feels like that would be the appropriate response.)

That is hands down the most depressing article I've read in a long time. That is just...our entire modern civilization circling the drain..A never ending forest fire of disease, terribly overwhelmed healthcare, destroyed global economy, shortage of goods and services and long term illness and loads of death. He's basically saying the worst case scenario is the most likely one. There is no magic vaccine solution. There will be no breaks in the spread of this unless we lock down. It's a forest fire and the medical treatment we don't even yet have will only very slowly start improving things. I sure hope they start working on some miraculous antivirals or something. I'll be living in a hole in the ground for the next decade I guess...

Ugh.

“Osterholm’s viewpoint is sobering. The 67-year-old expects the novel coronavirus to be present for the rest of his life. He doesn’t believe the wave theory (a first wave, a lull, followed by other waves) will apply to this pandemic. “That’s not what’s happening here,” he told MarketWatch in an interview.

MarketWatch: One of the things I’m pretty interested in is the talk and the hope around a vaccine. Do you think we have misconceptions about what it means when we have a vaccine?

Michael Osterholm: Everyone is looking at the vaccine as being a light switch: on or off. And I look at it as a rheostat, that’s going to take a long time, from turning it on from its darkest position to a lightest position. If you’re anticipating a light switch, you’re going to be concerned, confused, and in some cases very disappointed in what it might look like in those first days to months with a vaccine.

MarketWatch: I saw a piece in The Atlantic this week and I thought they positioned it well. They described it as the beginning of the end.

Osterholm: It won’t be. We will be dealing with this virus forever. Effective and safe vaccines and hopefully ones with some durability will be very important, even critical tools, in fighting it. But the whole world is going to be experiencing COVID-19 ‘til the end of time. We’re not going to be vaccinating our way out of this to eight-plus billion people in the world right now. And if we don’t get durable immunity, we’re potentially looking at revaccination on a routine basis, if we can do that. We’ve really got to come to grips with actually living with this virus, for at least my lifetime, and at the same time, it doesn’t mean we can’t do a lot about it.”

—-

Here’s the other article mentioned:

A Vaccine Reality Check

Terrible. Beyond terrible. Almost wish I didn’t read it.

Sad thing is, it makes perfect sense to me, this whole “wave” thing he describes, or lack thereof. And challenges associated with mass vaccinations, etc.

We have known the challenge of vaccines and how long it takes, etc. I was hopeful though.

Man.

Speechless.

If this is the case, would I rather know the truth? Yes because we’ve come this far. But man, not what we wanted to hear obviously. But maybe we do need to know the truth though, that this option exists. I’ve quoted before from others that there is no guarantee on a vaccine.

Eta: yeah I can’t even process this.

—-
Eta2: I can’t believe this is happening.

—-
Eta3: Yeah I’m not sure I should’ve read that.

Gah/

—-

Re: this second article:

““For some, they may be anxious on whether a COVID-19 vaccine is safe and effective. Others may be mistrustful.””

(Raises hand.)

Just a quick note in regards to the question of whether people can gain durable immunity to coronaviruses, Dr Campbell went over some very encouraging research showing that immunity is likely to last a very long time:

Personally, I have hope that we will eventually achieve herd immunity with a vaccine. The main questions I have are how safe will the 1st vaccine be and how effective of a vaccine can they formulate with the rush to get one available ASAP. We will just have to wait and see.

MOO.

It's interesting that you are hearing coughing. I haven't heard a person cough since March. We have no cases, but everyone is keeping their coughs at home, lest they be run out of town. (Not that they'd be run out of town, but it just feels like that would be the appropriate response.)

At one of my aquafit classes (aquabalance) we do lots of stretching and compressing - good for many internal organs apparently. But these actions cause coughing in some people - myself included - and we all look at each other "oh no, I hope this isn't the virus".

Seems like every innocent cough causes people to look sideways these days.

The saving grace for me is I live in the Ohio River Valley. We call it river crud. Allergies are rampant.. Jmo

Folks, if you have an issue related to TOS or moderation, discussing other members, etc .. please just Report it without discussing it on the thread. It is off-topic and just ends up with us having to read through pages of posts to catch all the subsequent responses over something that has nothing to do with Covid.

Report it and do NOT respond. Let Mods review it and deal with the matter accordingly.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member