FL FL - Leila Cavett, 21, of GA (son Kamdyn, 2, found wandering streets), Miramar, 27 July 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing I found most distressing in this article is this: “Kamdyn Cavett remained in child protective custody.”
This is a pretty imprecise way to put it... but I am assuming this means he is still in non family foster care. (They should really be more precise though, because if he was temporarily placed with family by CPS that might still count as CPS custody). Is that the latest understanding for you all too?
MOO: I really want to change US regulations to fix this problem. It is extremely difficult for out of state family to get kids out of emergency foster care in the U.S. It is the most traumatic time of these children’s lives and they are placed with strangers when they often have competent loving family members but because they live out of state the process is full of red tape and often takes six MONTHS.

I've seen several case on WS where emergency custody was granted to grandparents/family members quickly. It still requires a background check, home visit/safety assessment, and guardian ad litem to represent the best interest of the child.

DSS is charged with providing a safe, secure environment for the child. The speed of the process relies on the results of the above. If home has safety issues, those must be fixed. Foster parents must be able to support the child financially...pay rent/mortgage, utilities, food, clothing, etc. If home has multiple people living there, they all must have background checks. The process can be delayed during the background/discovery process.

In this case DNA to determine paternity. It appears many family members are interested in custody, this could result in legal litigation.

If there's a delay, there is a reason. DSS staff want child placed quickly, they want the problem solved and will go to great extremes to assist families to gain custody. I've seen emergency funds used to move families to better housing, purchase furniture, arrange child care for working families. I have seen folks be denied due to criminal backgrounds with assault/abuse/drug charges/abuse.

The child will remain in DSS custody until he is reclaimed by his mother/father and proven they can safety care for him, reaches the age of 18,or is adopted.

It can be quickly granted in state. Often it takes months out of state. It can depend on the state. Even when a lawyer is involved it often takes months. They do prioritize the youngest placements and media scrutiny helps, but even so it can stretch on for months... one example has been written up by academics here: Can We Please Fix The Interstate Placement Of Children In Foster Care?

ETA: I personally know an example multiple households out of state asked for placement, hired a lawyer to get home studies expedited through ICPC. They won the ruling to get it expedited in the children’s home state but then the state doing the studies rejected the expedited status and the home study was not conducted until more than 4 months after children were bounced between separate group homes, runaway issues etc. Once the out of state home study was completed, the out of state family was quickly approved, but it took months of fighting and lawyer bills to get it done in just under five months. At a time, when children are the victims, they were victimized again by a flawed system. Maybe ICPC works more swiftly in some cases, but I don’t think that’s the norm. MOO.

Last edited:
It can be quickly granted in state. Often it takes months out of state. It can depend on the state. Even when a lawyer is involved it often takes months. They do prioritize the youngest placements and media scrutiny helps, but even so it can stretch on for months... one example has been written up by academics here: Can We Please Fix The Interstate Placement Of Children In Foster Care?

ETA: I personally know an example multiple households out of state asked for placement, hired a lawyer to get home studies expedited through ICPC. They won the ruling to get it expedited in the children’s home state but then the state doing the studies rejected the expedited status and the home study was not conducted until more than 4 months after children were bounced between separate group homes, runaway issues etc. Once the out of state home study was completed, the out of state family was quickly approved, but it took months of fighting and lawyer bills to get it done in just under five months. At a time, when children are the victims, they were victimized again by a flawed system. Maybe ICPC works more swiftly in some cases, but I don’t think that’s the norm. MOO.

I won't argue with you, but it's not the norm. Most states play well together. When you look at the sheer number of cases on which ICPC referrals are made every day, one or two examples do not constitute the norm. One or two examples can always be produced to contradict claims about anything from politics to the outcome of a turtle race, all that proves is that anomalies exist in everything.

I think the father, with proving paternity and a clean record and a safe environment will get custody of Kam.
Unless, of course, LC is found alive and competent to care for him.
But imo the father is the next one in line for custody of this little guy.

LIVE: Woman's body found on side of Interstate 95 southbound in St. Lucie County

Crime scene units are on scene after a woman's body was found on the side of Interstate 95 in St. Lucie County on Tuesday morning, authorities say.

According to the Florida Highway Patrol, a man discovered the body in the southbound lanes near mile marker 127, which is north of Midway Road, when he pulled over with car trouble.

The witness called 911 and troopers responded.

The St. Lucie County Sheriff's Office has taken over the investigation, and one southbound lane of I-95 is now closed.

No other details have been released.

Could this be Leila?

LIVE: Woman's body found on side of Interstate 95 southbound in St. Lucie County

Crime scene units are on scene after a woman's body was found on the side of Interstate 95 in St. Lucie County on Tuesday morning, authorities say.

According to the Florida Highway Patrol, a man discovered the body in the southbound lanes near mile marker 127, which is north of Midway Road, when he pulled over with car trouble.

The St. Lucie County Sheriff's Office has taken over the investigation, and one southbound lane of I-95 is now closed.

Could this be Leila?
They didn't dump the body very far IMO - from your link:
Exclusive video from WPTV Chopper 5 showed the body covered by a large tent, just feet from the interstate.
Woman's body found on side of Interstate 95 southbound in St. Lucie County

Then it's probably not Leila, being that from away from Hollywood and this late of a date of finding her.
A body just dumped by the side of the road is more than likely newly deceased and newly put there.
moo
Unlikely that it's Leila imo. This is the fourth woman's body found since Leila vanished, that's been reported at least. However there's no telling if Leila has been held captive for a while.
Regardless it's very sad for this woman's family. :(

Is anyone keeping track of how many unidentified bodies have turned up? I hope they are all identified and claimed quickly. I think this is the 5th one mentioned on this thread!

I know. So many bodies in South Florida. Then the body they JUST found on I-95 about an hour and a half from Hollywood, Florida. Scary.

Could this be Leila?

FDOT may have some useful info re: mile markers, etc.:

Home

Appears to be a straight shot.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online