FL FL - Leila Cavett, 21, of GA (son Kamdyn, 2, found wandering streets), Miramar, 27 July 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my hopes up, that was a pretty big blunder. Family called it “Fake News.” I could chalk it up to a “green” reporter, however, veteran editors would have had to stamp it with their approval before it went to print. Pretty embarrassing for the paper, they’re going to hear it from their colleagues in the regional press association. Blunders are made all the time, that’s why papers issue corrections or clarification. But, on a story like this one it’s pretty embarrassing.

I got my hopes up, that was a pretty big blunder. Family called it “Fake News.” I could chalk it up to a “green” reporter, however, veteran editors would have had to stamp it with their approval before it went to print. Pretty embarrassing for the paper, they’re going to hear it from their colleagues in the regional press association. Blunders are made all the time, that’s why papers issue corrections or clarification. But, on a story like this one it’s pretty embarrassing.

It could have been the mistake of the sheriff who was quoted, also.

I’m thinking the Sheriff says yes we’ve had contact with her (her court case back in February)

And no reason to believe she left under suspicious circumstances (her residence did not appear to show signs of a break in etc)

And just was miscommunication??

It could have been the mistake of the sheriff who was quoted, also.
Yes, I just don’t see the reporter with direct quotes getting it wrong. It’s rare. And, so embarrassing for whoever made the error. In the newsroom, when a reporter makes an error like that, the whole room goes silent — for a while. It reflects poorly on the paper, editors and staff. Not saying it was the reporter. It will depend on how it was worded. I haven’t looked closely at the way they wrote the “Update.” I will in a minute. JIMO

Last edited:
That’s really bad. Whoever wrote that I hope gets reprimanded. Imagine her family. Ughhh
Apparently someone misheard, or didn't get verification on what was said. Always get confirmation from at least one additional solid source. Sounds like someone blew it... I hope her folks didn't hear the not-real news. SMH

Apparently someone misheard, or didn't get verification on what was said. Always get confirmation from at least one additional solid source. Sounds like someone blew it... I hope her folks didn't hear the not-real news. SMH
The Sheriff is a pretty solid source. To speculate, it was probably a phone interview and if the reporter was inexperienced he/she — not sure on that right now — should have read the quote back to the sheriff to confirm. But in the hurried world of news, he/she may have rushed it. On the other hand, it may be exactly what the sheriff said, but when he saw it realized how he said it — and like @carbuff @MimosaMornings and @insearchoflight said, he realized he miscommunicated and back stepped. Wow! JIMO

Yes, I just don’t see the reporter with direct quotes getting it wrong. It’s rare. And, so embarrassing for whoever made the error. In the newsroom, when a reporter makes an error like that, the whole room goes silent — for a while. It reflects poorly on the paper, editors and staff. Not saying it was the reporter. It will depend on how it was worded. I haven’t looked closely at the way they wrote the “Update.” I will in a minute. JIMO
Are you a reporter?

ETA: I ask because you seemed to have info that you shared before it was in MSM about Leila. MOO.

Just saw this in a news article (not sure if that news article is reputable though so I am not posting) so I am guessing the father is going TODAY (Tuesday) to investigate with the authorities.

Posted by 6 South Florida News

Posted at 6:03PM on August 3, 2020

"The father of a young mother who disappeared in South Florida is holding out hope after he says she may have met a man online shortly before she vanished.
"Curtis Cavett, her father, said that after searching through her social media, he believes she met a man through an online dating website and could have been in South Florida to meet him. She had previously been living in Georgia and has family in Alabama.
“It’s on her Facebook. I have to meet with detectives tomorrow so we can see if we can go into her messages on her Facebook," Curtis Cavett said Monday."

Last edited by a moderator:
‘I'm Searching for You': Dad of Mother Who Vanished in South Florida Holding Out Hope

Article just posted with her Dad and says she is still missing. Talks more about the Facebook messages to man in Florida.

The thing I found most distressing in this article is this: “Kamdyn Cavett remained in child protective custody.”
This is a pretty imprecise way to put it... but I am assuming this means he is still in non family foster care. (They should really be more precise though, because if he was temporarily placed with family by CPS that might still count as CPS custody). Is that the latest understanding for you all too?
MOO: I really want to change US regulations to fix this problem. It is extremely difficult for out of state family to get kids out of emergency foster care in the U.S. It is the most traumatic time of these children’s lives and they are placed with strangers when they often have competent loving family members but because they live out of state the process is full of red tape and often takes six MONTHS.
Hi all - I’m a new person to websleuths with this case. Is there a forum on websleuths Re activism? My particular interests are in pursuing legislation to make it easier for family to get custody of out of state relatives placed in foster care. (It’s a Nightmare!) But I am wide open to other advocacy ideas. Feel free to DM me. Thanks in advance!

The thing I found most distressing in this article is this: “Kamdyn Cavett remained in child protective custody.”
This is a pretty imprecise way to put it... but I am assuming this means he is still in non family foster care. (They should really be more precise though, because if he was temporarily placed with family by CPS that might still count as CPS custody). Is that the latest understanding for you all too?
MOO: I really want to change US regulations to fix this problem. It is extremely difficult for out of state family to get kids out of emergency foster care in the U.S. It is the most traumatic time of these children’s lives and they are placed with strangers when they often have competent loving family members but because they live out of state the process is full of red tape and often takes six MONTHS.

I learned about this in the Serenity Denard podcast. She had so many willing family members that lived in other states and instead she went through an obscene number of foster homes and developed RAD.

What about the lawyer the family hired?
Wouldn’t he be able to help in that situation?

What about the lawyer the family hired?
Wouldn’t he be able to help in that situation?
Maybe. But the court process still can take a long time. Any family member who wants custody has to file first, wait for a court date and for the judge to determine what needs to be done. They will probably do a full home evaluation before placing him with family. If there is a particular relative that the child is already bonded with that would likely be the first choice, as long as the home is a suitable environment. Since he hasn't been placed yet I'm guessing there was not a relative who was regularly in his life?

Usually they prefer to place the child with the other parent, unless there is not a current bond with the child, which also may be the case. The court may start with visitation before granting custody to anyone.

Imo

Last edited:

If a child is in any type of Foster Care placement, they remain in the custody of the Commissioner of that respective county. When CPS takes steps to place a child in a FC setting, then you know it is bad. Those decisions aren't made lightly, and CPS's decision to place a child must be sanctioned by a judge based on evidence submitted by the district that it's contrary to the child's welfare to leave them with the parent/caretaker and that reasonable efforts have been made to prevent the child's placement. The only exception is if the child is in imminent danger and placement is necessary to protect the child's life and well-being.

There is actually a pretty smooth process under the Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children for sending a child in custody in one state to a placement in another state. The Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children (ICPC) | Adoption Services | OCFS

The delays come about when stones are turned over and the sending state gets to see what ugly things are hidden. Many times those out-of-state relatives have something in their past that they haven't shared, things that disqualify them from being certified as a relative foster parent or a discharge resource. If things are bad enough that a child is remanded to DSS custody, there is no way that district is going to be negligent and just let the kid go with whatever relative crawls out of the woodwork. They have an obligation to that child to not put them in a situation as bad as or worse than what brought them into care.

The absent parent, if he turns out to be adjudicated the biological father, has every right to petition for custody and have his petition heard in court. It may turn out that he is a better stranger to send the child with instead of continuing the child's placement in a certified and vetted stranger's home, but until the alleged father follows those required steps to petition for custody, the child will remain in care. Same thing for the other relatives -- if they cooperate with a criminal background check and a child welfare history check, along with demonstrating their appropriateness as a caretaker, then they could petition for and be awarded custody.

You as the public will never know what goes into the decisions made by DSS due to the high standard of confidentiality. It's why DSS shoulders the blame for everything -- you get to hear the relative's or parent's story/claims but never get to hear the actual truth. Common sense should make it apparent that DSS doesn't operate in a vacuum, and we don't receive financial kickbacks for placing kids or whatever other rumor is used to make it look like we're picking on whatever parent of the year is complaining about us.

This is not MOO, this is based on my 31+ years of employment with DSS, the last 17 of which have been spent working in CPS/Foster Care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther