Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #74

Status
Not open for further replies.
the situation with school re-openings sends me into a state of anxiety; it isn't only the kids who are vectors for the virus, spreading to educators, but think about the spread to the community- to parents who go shopping at the supermarket- they will be all over the place and many of them will not be wearing masks or socially distancing. I can only see a nightmare ahead with schools re-opening. i would like to be wrong but i don't think i am.

Quite honestly, we are so careful here and yet NSW is having school outbreaks at the moment. (The way they have spread the virus to their households just goes to show what can happen.)

This is one of them ....

The Tangara School for Girls is emerging as Sydney's latest COVID-19 hotspot ... The cluster linked to the Catholic school in Cherrybrook in Sydney's Hills District grew to 17 on Tuesday as contact tracers zero in on a retreat attended by several students who were later diagnosed with COVID-19.

So far 11 senior students and one teacher have been diagnosed with COVID-19, as well as three household contacts and two social contacts.

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said she expected the Tangara cluster would grow, knowing people who live in the same households as positive cases were "extremely susceptible" to catching the virus.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...ce-of-outbreak-a-mystery-20200811-p55kjm.html

Last edited:
Russia's health ministry has given regulatory approval for the world's first COVID-19 vaccine, developed by Moscow's Gamaleya Institute, after less than two months of human testing ...

Putin said the vaccine had been registered and had already been used to inoculate his own daughter.

Speaking at a government meeting Tuesday, Putin said that the vaccine has proven efficient during tests, offering a lasting immunity from the coronavirus.

Russian authorities have said that medical workers, teachers and other risk groups will be the first to be inoculated.

Russia says it has approved world's first COVID-19 vaccine
Medical workers, teachers, and other risk groups being inoculated first sounds sensible to me, but I worry that the priorities in America will not be the same.

Face mask reality check, which is the best option? Scientists from Duke University took a look at face masks to see which ones work best in slowing the spread of coronavirus.@EvaPilgrimreports. https://gma.abc/3iw8iMQ

video
https://twitter.com/GMA/status/1293151960867250176

"As over 20 million across the globe have been diagnosed with COVID-19, scientists from Duke University took a look at face masks to see which ones work best in slowing the spread of coronavirus.

In their study, they looked at 14 masks including N-95s, N-95s with valves and surgical masks to see how effective each was in keeping droplets from getting out."

masks-ht-ml-200811_1597143988542_hpMain_2_16x9_992.jpg

While many have been using bandanas as a face mask alternative, researchers found that it offers very little protection.

Gaiters, which are known for being made of fleece, were found to release a lot of little particles from the wearer and created more tiny droplets than speaking without a mask.

Scientists tested 14 types of masks: Here's what worked and what didn't

Last edited:
Coronavirus found on frozen seafood in China

Authorities in China have found the novel coronavirus on the packaging of imported frozen seafood that arrived from the port city of Dalian, which recently battled a surge of cases.

The virus was found on the outer packaging of frozen seafood bought by three companies in Yantai, a port city in eastern Shandong province.

The Yantai city government said in a statement the seafood was from an imported shipment that landed at Dalian but did not say where it originated.

In July, customs officers in Dalian, a major port in the northeastern province of Liaoning, found the coronavirus in the packaging of frozen shrimps imported from Ecuador, and China then suspended imports from three Ecuadorean shrimp producers.

Guam Gov. Lou Leon Guerrero tested positive for COVID-19.

"On August 5, I was informed that I had come into contact with a close relative who had tested positive for COVID-19. Both my husband and I were tested, and we received a negative test result. Even so, we were advised to practice precautionary measures for the next 14 days. In line with existing protocol, I wore a face mask, limited travel to essential functions only, and practiced social distancing," Leon Guerrero said in a statement.

"On August 8th, I began to exhibit some symptoms. I was tested again this afternoon and received a positive result this evening. I have been in home quarantine since this weekend and will be isolated pending my recovery. I remain in good health despite exhibiting moderate symptoms of the virus."

Last edited:
New Zealand reinstates coronavirus restrictions after first locally-transmitted case in 102 days

New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern confirmed four new locally transmitted coronavirus cases on Tuesday night, and announced that New Zealand's most populous city, Auckland, will temporarily see level three restrictions.

All four of the cases were found within one household in South Auckland.

The new restrictions mean that businesses will have to close. People will now only be allowed to leave their homes to conduct essential activities such as picking up supplies from grocery stores. Gatherings over 10 people will also be restricted in Auckland.

Schools in Auckland will also be closed for three days. Outside of Auckland, the rest of New Zealand will go into level two restrictions.

The new restrictions across Auckland and New Zealand will take place from midday on Wednesday and last at least three days until midnight on Friday.

She’s Nursed COVID Patients in Two Hot Spots. This Is How Things Have Changed. — Slate

“One of those nurses is Kristina Ng. For five years, Ng had worked in the operating room of an ophthalmology practice and as a home-care nurse in Houston, where she was born and raised. When the pandemic hit, Ng traveled to Brooklyn to work in a hospital there for a little over a month. When she arrived home, she decided to carry on her work as an ICU nurse, treating COVID-19 patients. Slate spoke to Ng to learn what it’s like to work in two hot spots, months apart and halfway across the country.”

“What do you want people in Houston to know?

The units are completely full. I can tell you that the vast majority of the patients in my unit are COVID-positive patients. It’s very bad here, a lot of Houston is not taking it seriously. And I noticed that when I first came home from New York and I was in quarantine, a lot of people thought, “This is not as big of a deal as what happened in New York,” and “they’re only showing you the bad things on TV.” But the bad things are real. I have an older co-worker who is a nurse practitioner here in Houston—he worked in the ICU, and he himself now has COVID. And I can guarantee you that he wore the best PPE available to health care workers. He is the best NP I’ve ever worked with. And he’s fighting for his life. He’s not doing well. So when I see people here talk about how this is a hoax or make it political—it really is an insult to a lot of health care workers. We see people dying all the time”

———
But the bad things are real.”

Perhaps as Putin seems so confident in the 'long lasting protection' that his newly registered vaccine is giving, he will soon be offering the vaccine formula to the US president.

Personally, I doubt that we will hear much more about covid in Russia. Putin is not one to admit any failures. imo

If it is a success, well good on him ... but even though it feels like this virus has been around for way too long already, there really hasn't been enough time for Putin to claim long lasting protection.
Well, and I’m not sure I believe that his daughter has already been inoculated. That statement might be a way to get others to trust it and get inoculated quickly.

Coronavirus: Scottish football games postponed after Celtic player's secret trip to Spain

Three Scottish football matches have been postponed following breaches of lockdown rules by Aberdeen and Celtic players.

Celtic's game against St Mirren and Aberdeen's fixture against Hamilton Academical, both due to be played on Wednesday night, will now be rescheduled.

And Celtic and Abderdeen's match on Saturday has also been postponed.

The action comes after it emerged Celtic defender Boli Bolingoli took a secret trip to Spain and failed to self-isolate on his return.

Perhaps as Putin seems so confident in the 'long lasting protection' that his newly registered vaccine is giving, he will soon be offering the vaccine formula to the US president.

Personally, I doubt that we will hear much more about covid in Russia. Putin is not one to admit any failures. imo

If it is a success, well good on him ... but even though it feels like this virus has been around for way too long already, there really hasn't been enough time for Putin to claim long lasting protection.
I am guessing when the details of the virus was shared with the world then Russia's scientists would have begun work on the vaccine the same as all the other countries. If they have come up with one then hopefully they will share with WHO and the ROW. We will still have to wait, the same as with all the other 140 vaccine possibles.

ETA Here's an article that says 20 countries have requested doses.

Russia receives interest for 1 billion doses as it registers Covid-19 vaccine

"Moscow has labelled the coronavirus vaccine as Sputnik V

RUSSIA-HEALTH-VIRUS-VACCINE.jpg

logo-76.jpg

Massoud A Derhally
August 11, 2020

Russia received interest for 1 billion doses of its coronavirus vaccine, which was registered in the country officially on Tuesday, and it aims to produce 500 million doses over the coming 12 months, the head of its sovereign wealth fund said.

“We already received tentative interest and preliminary requests for 1 billion doses of the Russian vaccine … from more than 20 countries,” Kirill Dmitriev, chief executive of the Russian Direct Investment Fund, which is financing the country’s vaccine research, said in a virtual press conference on Tuesday.

Countries in Latin America, the Middle East and Asia have expressed the greatest interest in the vaccine, dubbed Sputnik V, he said. The RDIF is “about to finalise a number of contracts for the purchase of the vaccine,” Mr Dmitriev said.

The RDIF set up the following website dedicated to the vaccine: Sputnik - the first registered vaccine against COVID-19

“We believe today is a very positive day in the fight of humanity against coronavirus … It’s a major step not only by our scientists, not only by Russia, not only by our leadership but also for the world because we have one common enemy and that’s the coronavirus,” Mr Dmitriev said.

READ MORE
Russia will have Covid-19 vaccine in two weeks in 'Sputnik moment'

The RDIF is backing the production of the vaccine developed by the Gamaleya Institute and has invested 4 billion rubles (Dh202 million) with its portfolio companies Alium and R-Pharm.

“We have also built a partnership to produce the vaccine in five countries and now have a production capability of 500 million vaccines that can be produced in the next 12 months,” Mr Dmitriev said.

“The plan is to ramp-up production capacity even higher,” he said. “We will not be producing the vaccine only in Russia, we will be producing the vaccine with other countries.” "

Continued at link.

Last edited:
You still have to pay (and in this case, probably train) teachers.

Lack of planning within school district is as rampant as everywhere else.

Unfortunately, most places you have to have a license in order to teach. There are various rules and policies that prevent a teacher from getting overtime - either at all, or it's limited.

Of course, these rules and laws can be suspended rather easily for a crisis. But...school boards are shaking in their boots about next year's funding - and summer is budgeted out of last year (which is probably already spent).

Gah. To all good HS students, may I recommend community college online courses? There should be way more available - and in some states, at least, it's free for high school students. They can often count it toward HS graduation as well as transfer it (depends on the state).

For those in states where there is seamless access to state universities (via many methods), high school students can typically enroll while they still seek their degree.

Well, thankfully our public school has a private NFP 80 million dollar endowment and we ain't worried about state funding. We can support our school for many years if we had or want to.

Yup!!! Started 50 years ago, with bingo games to raise funds for the band. We own 3 shopping centers, one in our town and two others in large cities, and other businesses that provide a positive revenue stream, and in additional fund raisers throughout the year. The foundation has full time staff constantly providing for our students.

The foundation provides all our kids Apple Computers, IPads for lower levels for at least 10 years or more. Our schools provide 3 FULL meals per day. Breakfast and lunch children under the state mandated food program.

Monday thru Friday and any weekend with school activities we provide dinner/supper for all students, teachers and parents if they want to come. We pay the school system for use of the cafeteria and kitchen, purchase and cook our own food and rent storage at each school., We want to make sure kids staying for after school activities are well feed and not eating fast food or late dinners. Well feed kids produce better grades, have less stress from worry over lack of food and promotes camaraderie.

We also, provide take home backpacks with a dinner meal, snacks and drink. Anyone can participate in backpack, no income requirements.

We provide grants/gift cards for clothing purchases. Have provided washers and dryers to all schools, so kids can have clean clothes for parents who can't/won't wash clothing. We have closets full of personal hygiene supplies, laundry detergent, toilet paper and more. We've paid rent, electric and water bills to prevent homeless. We have ZERO homeless kids.

We ain't shaking in our boots, but we are asking where the CARES money was spent. As this should be used to upgrade the school with protection for our students rather than relying on the foundation.

We know why the school can't have more than classes.

We have remote areas with NO internet service due to mountainous areas, folks living 1 to 5 miles off the main road. We have purchased an array of hotspot devices, thru CARES and hoping and praying this will work. So many families will have to download the classes and teach children without teacher assistance. We've even offered to help move some families move to a more central location, through the foundation. Six families so far have taken advance of this. If the hot spots don't work, we will be renting facilities with internet access, and creating student centers with meals for the kids and family, close to their homes.

See things work a little differently in some areas of the country. We are hard working, southerners, use to helping our neighbors and providing for those less fortunate, rather than relying on our government. Many school systems in the south have foundations and have for years. Its not the PTA, its a NFP, that spends the interest from our investments and revenue sources.

As for community college class, so many major university won't/don't except the classes towards a degree, the are counted as electives. Most four year universities consider community college classes little more than HS classes.

Coronavirus found on frozen seafood in China

Authorities in China have found the novel coronavirus on the packaging of imported frozen seafood that arrived from the port city of Dalian, which recently battled a surge of cases.

The virus was found on the outer packaging of frozen seafood bought by three companies in Yantai, a port city in eastern Shandong province.

The Yantai city government said in a statement the seafood was from an imported shipment that landed at Dalian but did not say where it originated.

In July, customs officers in Dalian, a major port in the northeastern province of Liaoning, found the coronavirus in the packaging of frozen shrimps imported from Ecuador, and China then suspended imports from three Ecuadorean shrimp producers.

Oh no. Back to washing groceries again ?

I have received an email from my friend here and she is still very ill but alive. Thanks for the support and advice! *praying*

I'm glad your friend was able to each out and respond. Will keep the prayers going up for all our WS members who are unwell.

Please, if you can keep us updated. Many of the WS community are worried and concerned for our members. We are WS STRONG !!!

A new study has confirmed what researchers already suspected to be the case: heat inactivates SARS-CoV-2 in human milk.
A team of medical researchers has found that in human milk, pasteurisation inactivates the virus that causes COVID-19, confirming milk bank processes have been safe throughout the pandemic, and will remain safe going forward, too.
The study – published this month in the Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health – was a partnership between UNSW and a multidisciplinary team from Australian Red Cross Lifeblood Milk.

There are five human milk banks in Australia. As the COVID-19 pandemic evolves, these milk banks continue to provide donated breast milk to preterm babies who lack access to their mother’s own milk. Donors are screened for diseases, and milk is tested and pasteurised to ensure that it is safe for medically fragile babies.

Pasteurisation inactivates COVID-19 virus in human milk: new research

She’s Nursed COVID Patients in Two Hot Spots. This Is How Things Have Changed. — Slate

“One of those nurses is Kristina Ng. For five years, Ng had worked in the operating room of an ophthalmology practice and as a home-care nurse in Houston, where she was born and raised. When the pandemic hit, Ng traveled to Brooklyn to work in a hospital there for a little over a month. When she arrived home, she decided to carry on her work as an ICU nurse, treating COVID-19 patients. Slate spoke to Ng to learn what it’s like to work in two hot spots, months apart and halfway across the country.”

“What do you want people in Houston to know?

The units are completely full. I can tell you that the vast majority of the patients in my unit are COVID-positive patients. It’s very bad here, a lot of Houston is not taking it seriously. And I noticed that when I first came home from New York and I was in quarantine, a lot of people thought, “This is not as big of a deal as what happened in New York,” and “they’re only showing you the bad things on TV.” But the bad things are real. I have an older co-worker who is a nurse practitioner here in Houston—he worked in the ICU, and he himself now has COVID. And I can guarantee you that he wore the best PPE available to health care workers. He is the best NP I’ve ever worked with. And he’s fighting for his life. He’s not doing well. So when I see people here talk about how this is a hoax or make it political—it really is an insult to a lot of health care workers. We see people dying all the time”

———
But the bad things are real.”

It's really disheartening to know that health care workers, who wear the best NP available, can still be seriously ill with COVID. I so much want them to be protected especially when they work in a community where no one seems to care.

Well, and I’m not sure I believe that his daughter has already been inoculated. That statement might be a way to get others to trust it and get inoculated quickly.

Yes, of course it is. It's like the guy who sells carpet in our village. Everything he's trying to peddle, happens to be what he just put in his daughter's bedroom.

I sincerely hope that they've found the magic bullet, but I too am concerned, not so much about how long they might be protected, because that doesn't matter too much to me right now. They can vaccinate every few months if necessary. It's more important to me to know that the vaccine protects against CoVid for people of all ages, and that it is safe.

I will be watching for outcomes.

Coronavirus: Scottish football games postponed after Celtic player's secret trip to Spain

Three Scottish football matches have been postponed following breaches of lockdown rules by Aberdeen and Celtic players.

Celtic's game against St Mirren and Aberdeen's fixture against Hamilton Academical, both due to be played on Wednesday night, will now be rescheduled.

And Celtic and Abderdeen's match on Saturday has also been postponed.

The action comes after it emerged Celtic defender Boli Bolingoli took a secret trip to Spain and failed to self-isolate on his return.

Jerk.

The bunkers are ridiculous against covid. Australia is not experiencing riots, rebellions, martial law, looting. The bunkers are being sold in Queensland. The people there are going to the beach, going surfing, going out to eat, going shopping, going to work.

The 'inquirers from Victoria' are under stage three lockdown - not a tough lockdown.

Most people in Melbourne wouldn't have enough room in their city backyards for a bunker. They too are not experiencing looting, riots, rebellions, martial law. They are into Day Nine or so of a tighter 6-week lockdown. By the time a bunker arrived and was installed, the lockdown will be over. Their numbers are definitely on the decrease, and things are starting to look quite good for them.

It is a stupid sales tactic. Unless a person is a rare (to us), illogical, conspiracy theorist, I can't imagine anyone here would want a bunker.

Even in a bushfire, you wouldn't want to be trapped in one of them. Smoke pouring in through the ventilation system, choking anyone inside. Even the fire crews have to wear heavy masks when combatting a bush fire, due to the intense heavy smoke.

Agree, yet look how many even here are considering such as logical.

Marketing marketing marketing, just as so many companies are saying they have a cure/vaccine/treatment etc on their website to prop up funds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
undefined.value